Image ImageImage Image

OT- The Last Dance documentary

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Re: The Last Dance 10 Part Documentary 

Post#81 » by kyrv » Mon Apr 6, 2020 11:46 pm

dice wrote:
JohnnyKILLroy wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
Well he played on two teams. Since Jordan, you've seen Kobe, Dirk, and Duncan actually only play on one team. It does seem less and less likely that you'll see more one team guys, it's somewhat of a shock that the three I mentioned managed it. Right now, of star players, probably the GS guys are the ones with the best chance of that happening.

Haslem the Great.

up until 2005 (reggie miller) about one guy a year would retire after having spent his entire career (10+ years) w/ one team...then it didn't happen again until 2012, when it happened with another pacer (jeff foster)...then it didn't happen for four more years...

2016 duncan/kobe
2018 ginobili/collison
2019 dirk
2020 haslem (?)

Thanks as always for your research dice You da man. It did seem like it was happening less, even less than I thought!
Southpaw
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#82 » by Southpaw » Wed Apr 8, 2020 6:23 pm

kyrv wrote:
Southpaw wrote:Young MJ has a LOT of charisma. I kinda wish I was alive when he was coming up in the league. Would've been a treat to watch.

Not to be too overly dramatic in retrospect, but it was a magical time. People learning the NBA/Bulls with MJ probably got an unrealistic set of expectations, for others like me you just knew it was freaking special. Amazing time, Bears were also awesome during much of that time. Incredible time to be a Bulls/Bears fan.

Sports radio was fairly new then, but get this, some of the idiot hosts would complain that the MJ Bulls were 'boring'. I always thought, well stick around, when he leaves you will get some non-boring crappy basketball.

This doc I think covers the last title team, they were very good but a little bit running on fumes compared to the past. Even if MJ and Phil had not retired, they were pert near at the end of the run.

And, just for me, I felt strongly during the entire run, I knew it would end, I just really didn't want it to end in someone else toppling them, but rather (as did happen), someone else winning because MJ left.

Actually very odd to see middle aged slightly pot bellied MJ. MJ and Scottie, so great, so much fun.

tldr; Don't know if this is any good, but it was a magical time and I'll be checking it out. A treat indeed, as you so aptly worded it!

Jordan and his team being boring. Now that's a first!

I could only imagine how that must've been as a young fan. With the draft eligibility getting lowered back to 18, I hope we can get a superstar to build around for a long time, in the next few years.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,880

The Last Dance documentary - April 19th on ESPN 

Post#83 » by bledredwine » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:08 pm

Hey guys,

The Last Dance comes out in just six days!

I only have Netflix. What is the most cost effective and then the easiest way to watch this doc? I’d prefer to watch it on my tv

This coupled with our change in front office are certainly bright lights in the midst of this pandemic, the lowered death count being the greatest.

Actually, we’ve probably had the best pandemic news of all teams nationwide so far, something to be grateful for, despite the struggles.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,790

The Last Dance documentary 

Post#84 » by jc23 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:21 pm

Moe like On Topic considering the circumstances, hope this gets stickied for this Sunday.

watching the reply of the 1996 run; besides the obvious greatness of that team Ron Harper really sticks out. Just better then what i remember and especially with the knowledge of how the game is played today. The guy was 6'6 and could handle the ball and initiate the offense while playing all nba defense and spreading the floor. His numbers dont blow you away but the eye test tells you he would have made a ton of money playing today.
Be curious, Not judgmental
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,190

The Last Dance documentary 

Post#85 » by HomoSapien » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:26 pm

bledredwine wrote:Hey guys,

I only have Netflix. What is the most cost effective and then the easiest way to watch this doc? I’d prefer to watch it on my tv

This coupled with our change in front office are certainly bright lights in the midst of this pandemic, the lowered death count being the greatest.

Actually, we’ve probably had the best pandemic news of all teams nationwide so far, something to be grateful for, despite the struggles.

If you don't have cable, then I'd suggest ESPN+. It's only $4.99 a month. I got it with the Disney+/Hulu bundle.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Re: OT- The Last Dance documentary 

Post#86 » by HomoSapien » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:29 pm

jc23 wrote:Moe like On Topic considering the circumstances, hope this gets stickied for this Sunday.

We'll sticky it closer to the 19th.

watching the reply of the 1996 run; besides the obvious greatness of that team Ron Harper really sticks out. Just better then what i remember and especially with the knowledge of how the game is played today. The guy was 6'6 and could handle the ball and initiate the offense while playing all nba defense and spreading the floor. His numbers dont blow you away but the eye test tells you he would have made a ton of money playing today.

Ron Harper was one of my favorite players on that team. Regularly underappreciated. He was sort of like a mix of Andre Igoudala and Shaun Livingston on the Warriors.

Rewatching old games has also given me a new appreciation for Luc Longley. He really used to annoy me back in the day, but he's much more skilled than I gave him credit for. And also a shout out to Scott Burrell who was a hell of a role player on that 98 team but has almost totally been forgotten.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#87 » by HomoSapien » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:38 pm

AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#88 » by AKfanatic » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:41 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
jc23 wrote:Moe like On Topic considering the circumstances, hope this gets stickied for this Sunday.

Ron Harper was one of my favorite players on that team. Regularly underappreciated. He was sort of like a mix of Andre Igoudala and Shaun Livingston on the Warriors.

Rewatching old games has also given me a new appreciation for Luc Longley. He really used to annoy me back in the day, but he's much more skilled than I gave him credit for. And also a shout out to Scott Burrell who was a hell of a role player on that 98 team but has almost totally been forgotten.

Before Harper’s knee injury, he was poised to be an all time great. How well he played after a serious knee injury was a testament to how good he was. I remember the stories of Cavs management starting rumors of drug use and partying before trading him to the Clips... I know at the time Harper was heated, dude was from Dayton and wanted to be a Cav for life.

He was such an underrated part of the Bulls. Always seems left out.. it’d MJ, Pip, the Worm, the Waiter, and Pax, or Kerr most often remembered. But Harp gave the Bulls such a great dimension. His savvy, size, and length gave the Bulls a great advantage next to Pip and MJ. Loved Harp.

Scott Burrell had some great moments also.

Bison Dele (RIP) was such a fun signing. Really loved when he was with the Bulls.
ThreeMileAllan
Veteran
And1: 770

Post#89 » by ThreeMileAllan » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:12 pm

AKfanatic wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:

Before Harper’s knee injury, he was poised to be an all time great. How well he played after a serious knee injury was a testament to how good he was. I remember the stories of Cavs management starting rumors of drug use and partying before trading him to the Clips... I know at the time Harper was heated, dude was from Dayton and wanted to be a Cav for life.

He was such an underrated part of the Bulls. Always seems left out.. it’d MJ, Pip, the Worm, the Waiter, and Pax, or Kerr most often remembered. But Harp gave the Bulls such a great dimension. His savvy, size, and length gave the Bulls a great advantage next to Pip and MJ. Loved Harp.

Bison Dele (RIP) was such a fun signing. Really loved when he was with the Bulls.
Man every five years or so I think about Bison Dele, how cool it was to have such a skilled bruiser on our team. And I go down the Google hole of him going missing on the boat. Rip Bison

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
On the Crawford/Rose bandwagon in 2002... 2009, 2011, 2012, 2017... :laugh: Finally in 2018! 16 year wait!
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#90 » by HomoSapien » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:26 pm

ThreeMileAllan wrote:
AKfanatic wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:

Man every five years or so I think about Bison Dele, how cool it was to have such a skilled bruiser on our team. And I go down the Google hole of him going missing on the boat. Rip Bison

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'm the exact same way. He was a really good player. Everyone always says the 96 Bulls team is the greatest of all time, but I actually felt like the 97 Bulls were stronger and it's because of him (Jason Caffey and Randy Brown also grew into reliable role players that year).

I imagine that had the Bulls been able to keep Brian Williams, all that noise about them being on their last legs (a notion I strongly disagree with) or being too small to beat the Spurs would have gone away. Williams was a near All-Star caliber player at his best.

One more thing about Burrell, I always felt like there wasn't much difference between him and Byron Russell. I think if we brought the team back in 99, his role would have expanded and he would have made us better. His PER 36 numbers that year are pretty impressive:

Scott Burrell: 13.7 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 2.1 apg, 2.1 spg, 1.2 bpg. He was also a very good three-point shooter by those days' standards.
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#91 » by 2018C3 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:40 pm

Back in 1996, I used to think Bison Dele looked like Sinbad.

For some reason whenever I saw him on the floor he reminded me of the comedian. (Keep in mind, back then most of us had 19"- 24" analog televisions). And the internet did not have all the content available it has today.

Back then I was probably still running a 386 though a modem with maybe about 8 meg of ram at most. Any video found was not great either, and had to be downloaded. You had to wait several minutes and watch a little bar that showed your download progress. What you can see now instantly on demand all came later.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#92 » by HomoSapien » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:10 am

2018C3 wrote:Back in 1996, I used to think Bison Dele looked like Sinbad.

My dad used to call him that all the time.
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#93 » by 2018C3 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:17 am

HomoSapien wrote:
2018C3 wrote:Back in 1996, I used to think Bison Dele looked like Sinbad.

My dad used to call him that all the time.

Lol, good to see I'm not the only one. Some of my computer and tv experiences may be off a few years, but I'm sure they a close within just a year or so. I did not personally own my own computer until a few years later (Probably after the dynasty ended). My roommate had one a few years before I could save up enough to purchase my own.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#94 » by HomoSapien » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:32 am

Went through a rabbit hole and thought these belong in here:

The 6ft Hurdle
Lead Assistant
And1: 493

Post#95 » by The 6ft Hurdle » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:48 am

The 12-year old me was already excited about the idea of "the original Next Jordan" playing next to the real one. He had been a 20 ppg scorer for the Clippers, and I was wondering why he was just OK playing a much reduced role than what he proved capable of doing.
TLDR: Current Pulse Readings (9/2/22)
Bulls: :pray:
UCLA Basketball: :dontknow:
UCLA Football: Chip Kelly magic time
Cubs: Uh, 2016
Blackhawks: Uh, 2015
Bears: Poor Justin Fields
FC Barcelona: Economic levers :dontknow: :cheesygrin:
The 6ft Hurdle
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by The 6ft Hurdle » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:53 am

HomoSapien wrote:Went through a rabbit hole and thought these belong in here:

LOL, I remember creating everyone up till AJ Guyton on NBA Live 99. Good times.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#97 » by TheStig » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:18 am

HomoSapien wrote:
bledredwine wrote:Hey guys,

If you don't have cable, then I'd suggest ESPN+. It's only $4.99 a month. I got it with the Disney+/Hulu bundle.

Is it confirmed for espn+? I couldn't find that anywhere.
The 6ft Hurdle
Lead Assistant

Post#98 » by The 6ft Hurdle » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:30 am

wickywack wrote:
troza wrote:Let's not forget what he did in the wizards before his big injury... even after missing some of the pre-season with broken ribs 3 years later... And the fact that the Lakers wouldn't have Ron Harper and Phil Jackson.

About Krause... Breaking the team at 98 (too soon in my opinion as the Bulls should have had MJ until he retired, although I think that the last shot of MJ is the perfect retiring moment) was bad, mainly when the plan in 97 was to get younger and still compete (and he was right about McGrady), I think the worst is that we had some young players but they were all bad. Still, it would have been fun seeing MJ, Pippen, Kukoc, Rodman (would he be able to play 2 more seasons?) going all out until 2003.

I't's not clear Krause would have gotten McGrady anyway. TMac was (AFAIK) just one of the players on Krause's radar. The rumors at the time had him also interested in Keith Van Horn and Ron Mercer:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1997-06-24-9706240005-story.html

Pippen for Van Horn and Mercer would have been pretty sad.

Besides, TMac didn't really blow up until his second contract - one Krause had the opportunity to sign him to and failed. Trading for a rookie TMac only to have him walk in 2000 would have also been pretty sad.

Of course, Krause did get ... Ron Mercer.

I began following the Bulls and discussing by message boards like this one that summer we went after T-Mac looking for any and all kinds of Bulls news.

It wasn't as easy as "having the opportunity to sign him" and failing. Orlando simply had much more to offer a 21-year old T-Mac as they were also signing a pre-injury-stricken prime Grant Hill and flirting with Duncan. That Orlando team looked scary with potential.

It appears that these snubbings were the beginning of having this reputation as the franchise that broke up the dynasty.

Also, I don't remember Keith van Horn being THAT horrible. He was a key part of that Nets team that made the Finals that one time with Jason Kidd.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,790

Post#99 » by jc23 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:50 am

Bill Simmons keeps calling this the MJ doc which tells where the focus will be. His friend is directing it so he has the inside knowledge.

I expect to see a heavy dose of the maniacal MJ, the MJ that was a dick to people. And I think that is why He was initially against the release of the footage.

IMO most people wanted this trait of his to be true. It adds to the myth of Jordan. Basically I’d prefer the GOAT to be a psychopath opposed to being like Andrew Wiggins.
Be curious, Not judgmental
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#100 » by HomoSapien » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:23 am

Anyone know who the hell 42 is?

Return to Chicago Bulls