Image ImageImage Image

How did Jerry Krause survive MJ hating him?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,276

Re: How did Jerry Krause survive MJ hating him? 

Post#81 » by prolific passer » Sun May 3, 2020 3:48 am

Dan Z wrote:
prolific passer wrote:Even though Curry was pretty bad after his pretty stellar 04-05 season. Some wanted him and so what did the bulls do but trade him for Sweetney?
:banghead: @ garpax.

The Bulls also got picks in the deal for Curry. One ended up being LaMarcus Aldridge (who they traded for Tyrus Thomas) and the other was Joakim Noah.

It was a great trade.

https://www.blogabull.com/2012/8/22/3261661/best-trade-ever-the-eddy-curry-deal-paxsons-pantsing-of-isiah-thomas

So we fleeced them. Best trade ever though? I mean the Pippen trade. The celtics getting Mchale and Parish in a trade. Ben Wallace starting to hit his stride for an injured Grant Hill.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,239

Post#82 » by Dan Z » Sun May 3, 2020 4:12 am

prolific passer wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
prolific passer wrote:Even though Curry was pretty bad after his pretty stellar 04-05 season. Some wanted him and so what did the bulls do but trade him for Sweetney?
:banghead: @ garpax.

The Bulls also got picks in the deal for Curry. One ended up being LaMarcus Aldridge (who they traded for Tyrus Thomas) and the other was Joakim Noah.

It was a great trade.

https://www.blogabull.com/2012/8/22/3261661/best-trade-ever-the-eddy-curry-deal-paxsons-pantsing-of-isiah-thomas

So we fleeced them. Best trade ever though? I mean the Pippen trade. The celtics getting Mchale and Parish in a trade. Ben Wallace starting to hit his stride for an injured Grant Hill.

I think they mean the best Bulls trade and they do mention the Pippen trade (which was better...I agree with you).

Too bad Paxson wasn't better at doing more trades like this one.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,544

Post#83 » by dice » Sun May 3, 2020 4:24 am

Dan Z wrote:
prolific passer wrote:
Dan Z wrote:

It was a great trade.

I think they mean the best Bulls trade and they do mention the Pippen trade (which was better...I agree with you).

it was just such a blatantly lopsided trade at the moment it was done. curry was a restricted free agent, had been hospitalized for an irregular heart beat (suspected congenital heart condition, which he refused to get tested for) and the knicks gave him a huge 6 yr deal in addition to the assets they shelled out. the contract alone was one of the worst in nba history. good luck finding worse basketball executive decisions than the one isiah thomas made there. and they ended up losing local kid joakim to the arch-nemesis bulls? salt in the wound

that's quite a contrast to the scottie pippen trade. obviously nobody knew at the time whether that it would work out. only in retrospect can you say that it was better than the curry trade
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,276

Post#84 » by prolific passer » Sun May 3, 2020 4:37 am

dice wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
prolific passer wrote:So we fleeced them. Best trade ever though? I mean the Pippen trade. The celtics getting Mchale and Parish in a trade. Ben Wallace starting to hit his stride for an injured Grant Hill.

it was just such a blatantly lopsided trade at the moment it was done. curry was a restricted free agent, had been hospitalized for an irregular heart beat (suspected congenital heart condition, which he refused to get tested for) and the knicks gave him a huge 6 yr deal in addition to the assets they shelled out. the contract alone was one of the worst in nba history. good luck finding worse basketball executive decisions than the one isiah thomas made there. and they ended up losing local kid joakim to the arch-nemesis bulls? salt in the wound

that's quite a contrast to the scottie pippen trade. obviously nobody knew at the time whether that it would work out. only in retrospect can you say that it was better than the curry trade

As up and down as the bulls have been since 1998. At least we aren't the knicks.
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Post#85 » by bullsnewdynasty » Sun May 3, 2020 7:18 am

The Fizer pick was one of the worst draft picks of all time. That pick had zero justification at the time.

Think of drafting a player who plays the exact same position as your #1 overall pick the prior year who won ROY. It's just so inconceivable in terms of pure strategy. Especially given the fact that it was a TOP 5 PICK, and he couldn't play any other position.
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,740

Post#86 » by chitownsalesmen » Tue May 5, 2020 12:37 pm

Krause actually stood his ground against MJ. Why do you think MJ hated him? They were both insanely competitive guys who wanted to win at all costs. MJ took Krause's refusal to back down as a threat, as great as MJ was he wasn't going to win the war of attrition with Krause so that drew the battle-lines between MJ and Krause.

I'm not trying to defend Krause I'm just making sense of the situation, I think Krause probably should have acquiesced on a few more things for MJ, he was clearly the best player in the world but Krause had his own agenda to build a title winning team sans-Jordan. But to deny that Jordan played any part in the dismantling of the 90's Bulls would be a pretty incomplete hypothesis.

So the modern interpretation is that Krause pushed Phil, and by de-facto Jordan and later Pippen all out of Chicago and while I don't know if it's fair to say that didn't happen, I think what it really was just a group of people who had all worked together for a long time who had created a political divide among themselves and neither side was willing to waiver to the other anymore.
heckinjohn
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#87 » by heckinjohn » Tue May 5, 2020 5:14 pm

prolific passer wrote:
dice wrote:
Dan Z wrote:

As up and down as the bulls have been since 1998. At least we aren't the knicks.

Wow, I guess I never realized how much we got back in that deal. Imagine if the Bulls had Aldridge and Noah going into the Derrick Rose draft.

Return to Chicago Bulls