Image ImageImage Image

What are your expectations for the new FO?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,372

Re: What are your expectations for the new FO? 

Post#121 » by jnrjr79 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:03 pm

WookieOnRitalin wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
I don't think the "thesis" that Chicago franchises always miss out on large free agents is true.

Yes it is and no one has provided any objective opinion to the contrary outside of "I don't think, I don't believe, etc..."

Do you have specific examples of the market itself being a minus? The closest thing I can think of would be someone not wanting to come here due to winter weather, but do you have any concrete examples of a star player saying "this seems like a good fit, the money is right, and they're ready to win, but I just can't see myself living in Chicago"?

Outside of almost all top tier free agents passing on our teams? No I do not.

You understand all the leagues have 30-32 teams, right? "Almost" all top free agents passing on every team in every league is a mathematical certainty.

This just seems so silly. Occam's razor would suggest a lot more reasons that teams don't secure free agent than "Chicago is an undesirable market." And it doesn't seem you can point to anything that would suggest it's the market and not other factors (roster, available $, timing, coach, front office, etc.) that is the problem. Both the Cubs and White Sox, for instance, have had very good success with free agents once they had good front offices, a core of good young players, and money to spend.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,372

Re: What are your expectations for the new FO? 

Post#122 » by jnrjr79 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:11 pm

TheStig wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
TheStig wrote:Russell Westbrook was a mega star in OKC. It's safe to say Rose would have been one anywhere. He had a very dynamic game.

Rose got that huge Addidas contract because it was the Bulls which was an international brand much larger than Seattle or OKC was. There is no doubt that Chicago helped him and being the hometown guy helped him too. He absolutely would have been a star but if not on that Bulls team and say it was the Pistons he doesn't get the MVP. The mix of him being from Chicago and playing in Chicago who was a storied franchise and a resurgent one absolutely helped his fame. It was not wholly responsible for it by any means but it was a very good marriage.

I think that's obsurd. Bron has a shoe deal in Cle. Durant has a show deal in OKC. Russ had a shoe deal in OKC. This isn't the 90's. There is league pass and a bunch of national televised games for good team or dynamic stars. Zion is in NO and they started nationally televising games and he's not even an all star yet.

Why wouldn't Rose be a MVP in Detroit? The Bulls were not very condusive to his stats with a defense team. Maybe in Detroit they open up the offense, spread the court and play a super quick pace and his stats are even better. I think MVP Rose was good enough to get that team into the playoffs.

It is 100% possible to be a star anywhere in the league now - much more so than it was in the past. And if you're MVP-level, you're going to get big national attention no matter what (though a lot of that attention for stars in small markets is rampant speculation about whether they'll leave). But market still has some degree of influence. Dame Lillard would be a much bigger star if he was racking up his numbers on the Knicks, for instance. Heck, I don't think Linsanity would have been a thing but for it happening on the Knicks. Rose, during his time, was probably a bigger star because he played in Chicago than he would have been if he were on the Grizzlies or whatever, but I agree he still could have won MVP and been a big national name anywhere.

Return to Chicago Bulls