Image ImageImage Image

What are your expectations for the new FO?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,075

Re: What are your expectations for the new FO? 

Post#41 » by MrSparkle » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:52 pm

I'll just welcome a confident straight-shooter. All I've heard was the KC Johnson interview, but Arturas sounds like a guy who doesn't BS, and he sounds like he's been in enough situations and gyms to make intelligent reads.

Gar just seemed to always be saying things that were the opposite of his intentions, and his vision of the game seemed small-town and behind the times (cough, Iowa). Who remembers Gar's first summer? https://www.espn.com/chicago/news/story?id=4302507 Right off the bat, I remember hearing him say Gordon was a top priority, and then they let him go to an affordable offer from Detroit. Then there was Jimmy saying that Gar positively received his pitch to be a Bulls leader and recruit guys like Kyrie or Lowry, before trading him 3 days later. I can't say if Gar was a snake or he was just bad at keeping his true intentions a secret, but that to me is more indicative of a guy who doesn't really have his 'master plan' in place, but rather is reacting day-to-day. Then you tie in all the drama with the secret mics, Randy Brown, booting one of the most respected assistants in the league in Ron Adams because of a personal tiff (that was just a massive strike in my book against Gar) and eventually Thibs.

In Paxson's defense, he would try to tell his side of the truth to the press, but often it would sound full of excuses, apologetic, emotional and frankly he'd still end up doing things that were opposite of what he said, like when they wanted to get more young and athletic but came up with that 2016/17 team, which was somehow way less athletic and mobile than the super-old and injured Noah/Pau/Rose/Taj squad.

But anyhow, if AK wants to put a more fun product on the floor, than that's what I expect. I don't expect a chip because there are no championship/MVP Bulls on the horizon right now. But I've been asking this FO since 06 to give me a fun offensive basketball team to watch. Rose singlehandledly brought the excitement; Thibs' ball wasn't pretty but it was nice watching the effort, execution and winning (and credit to that roster for hustling hard). Beyond this though, there has been no effort to play 'pretty' basketball. Our only success has basically been hero ball (Gordon, Rose, Jimmy) and hustle (Kirk/Deng/Noc, Noah/Taj, etc.).

There were moments (04/05 clutch regular season wins, the two Shaq Heat series where the Bulls matched up well, 09 Celtics playoffs, 12/13 Nate Nets), but overall every playoff appearance was a pretty miserable display as it became apparent the Bulls were short on pass/shoot talent.

Let's look at our best and most creative passers since 2004:

1. Rondo
2. Brad Miller
3. Noah
4. Rose
5. Valentine ?

(Yes, I intentionally forgot Kirk - very uncreative for a career-starter point) Kind of ridiculous, especially when you consider the top 2 guys were past-prime 1 season rentals. I'm very excited that we have a Western Conference type of FO now, a guy who values passing and offensive movement.

For 2 years I'm not looking at the win column. I just want to see a team that is enjoyable to watch. 2022-24 , I start asking for deep playoff results if there haven't been big setbacks.
bulliedog8
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Post#42 » by bulliedog8 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:02 pm

Playoffs in 2 years. ECFs contender in 3-4 years. Championship contender in 5-6 years.

So something like this

Year 1: 2018-19 Magic/2019-20 Grizz
Year 2: 2017-18 Nuggets/Wolves Level
Year 3-6: 2016-2020 Raptors
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,695

Post#43 » by nitetrain8603 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:16 pm

Success:
1st year - Playoffs - Bulls should be making the playoffs in a weak East. No excuses. One change needs to happen to make the playoffs happen - replace Jim Boylen - Thibs, Atkinson, Griffin, whoever - a competent coach gets this team to the playoffs

2nd year - 1st round that goes the distance or better. I don't think it's realistic for the Bulls to make the 2nd round without a huge roster improvement (trades, stud signings, etc). Say the keep most of the team from year 1, I expect them to battle it out in the 1st round and give whatever team hell.

3rd year - By now, the Bulls better have done enough in the offseasons to put the Bulls in the position of future contender. I'm looking at hard fought 2nd round or better. The Bulls should easily be able to identify the missing element to get them to realistic future contender. Whether that be needing a PG, needing a star, putting together a bench - Bulls should have identifiable piece that is missing. And by the end of this season, the Bulls should have the means to go get that piece.

4th year - In the East, you better be in the ECF. At this stage, it should only be roster tweaking

5th year - ECF every other year or better.
Magic beans
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#44 » by Magic beans » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:17 pm

bulliedog8 wrote:Playoffs in 2 years. ECFs contender in 3-4 years. Championship contender in 5-6 years.

So something like this

Year 1: 2018-19 Magic/2019-20 Grizz
Year 2: 2017-18 Nuggets/Wolves Level
Year 3-6: 2016-2020 Raptors

This is great man, and not unrealistic. Initially I won’t be ultra concerned with the win column. To break it down by a micro analysis view I want to see an entertaining product played hard on both ends. I want a roster of aggressive two way players only. I want an honest and realistic evaluation of talent. Savvy business decisions made for the long term benefit of this franchise. That’s all...
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,386

Post#45 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:50 pm

Showtime23 wrote:Somehow try to get their hands on the 2021 tier 1 agents, mostly AD.
The season will be cancelled and with another season gone, theres a chance Lebron gets washed/retires very soon.
The Lakers are pretty garbage/poorly constructed after they traded the entire farm and with the Clippers eclipsing them, theres no guarantee Giannis will join forces.
Little time left but judging how BKN was able to rebuild that fast and get 2 superstars, Chicago should get AD even if it means a 1+1 PO.

I still think that is a tough get and that is a kinda Pax move IMHO. We did that with Wade/Lebron and Bosh. Unless he has a good back channel to AD I wouldn't put too many eggs in that basket. LA is a money maker. Lebron might decline for sure but he looked good and rested this season and he just got more rest. He also wants to play with Bronny in the NBA... pipe dream or not he has stated it (who knows if Bronny will be good enough even). I love the idea and I think it is potential (really need the Lakers to fall apart before then though).

I would love to see who he could get that we aren't expecting though. Get creative and land the right guy for us would be huge.
chicago paxsons
Bench Warmer
And1: 720

Post#46 » by chicago paxsons » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:48 pm

I like that he is bringing in new people to modernize the fo. That was one expectation accomplished. Hopefully he’ll retooling the training and medical departments and clearly the coaching needs a full change. I think most of the changes in his first season will be behind the scenes aside from the coaching change.

I’ve never been a championship or bust kind of guy so i’m not expecting another jordan dynasty, but i would like to see, after some time to evaluation and develop the team, is just a consistently competitive team. Even without the championships i admire the consistentness of teams like the spurs. Teams that always field a competent roster, constant playoff contention.

Even though the nuggets aren’t front runners, in this period of the nba the only way to be a front runner is to have multiple superstars, i would love a to have a team like that, year in and year out.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
nitetrain8603
RealGM

Post#47 » by nitetrain8603 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:54 pm

chicago paxsons wrote:I like that he is bringing in new people to modernize the fo. That was one expectation accomplished. Hopefully he’ll retooling the training and medical departments and clearly the coaching needs a full change. I think most of the changes in his first season will be behind the scenes aside from the coaching change.

I’ve never been a championship or bust kind of guy so i’m not expecting another jordan dynasty, but i would like to see, after some time to evaluation and develop the team, is just a consistently competitive team. Even without the championships i admire the consistentness of teams like the spurs. Teams that always field a competent roster, constant playoff contention.

Even though the nuggets aren’t front runners, in this period of the nba the only way to be a front runner is to have multiple superstars, i would love a to have a team like that, year in and year out.

I think there are certain parts that are good about the medical staff. Chip Schaeffer has been successful in his first stint here and in LA. My problem is their physicians. I've never trusted Brian Cole, but he seems to be their go-to-guy. While everyone else is going to the best for ACL surgeries, we had Derrick go to Brian Cole.
chicago paxsons
Bench Warmer
And1: 720

Post#48 » by chicago paxsons » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:58 pm

nitetrain8603 wrote:
chicago paxsons wrote:I like that he is bringing in new people to modernize the fo. That was one expectation accomplished. Hopefully he’ll retooling the training and medical departments and clearly the coaching needs a full change. I think most of the changes in his first season will be behind the scenes aside from the coaching change.

I think there are certain parts that are good about the medical staff. Chip Schaeffer has been successful in his first stint here and in LA. My problem is there physicians. I've never trusted Brian Cole, but he seems to be their go-to-guy. While everyone else is going to the best for ACL surgeries, we had Derrick go to Brian Cole.

I can’t agree enough, i don’t know why they keep going back to brian cole aside from sheer laziness. Yes, not the whole staff needs to go, but it absolutely needs a serious evaluation as much as the fo and the coach staff in my opinion.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,584

Post#49 » by DuckIII » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:33 pm

nitetrain8603 wrote:Success:
1st year - Playoffs - Bulls should be making the playoffs in a weak East. No excuses. One change needs to happen to make the playoffs happen - replace Jim Boylen - Thibs, Atkinson, Griffin, whoever - a competent coach gets this team to the playoffs

2nd year - 1st round that goes the distance or better. I don't think it's realistic for the Bulls to make the 2nd round without a huge roster improvement (trades, stud signings, etc). Say the keep most of the team from year 1, I expect them to battle it out in the 1st round and give whatever team hell.

3rd year - By now, the Bulls better have done enough in the offseasons to put the Bulls in the position of future contender. I'm looking at hard fought 2nd round or better. The Bulls should easily be able to identify the missing element to get them to realistic future contender. Whether that be needing a PG, needing a star, putting together a bench - Bulls should have identifiable piece that is missing. And by the end of this season, the Bulls should have the means to go get that piece.

4th year - In the East, you better be in the ECF. At this stage, it should only be roster tweaking

This is an example of the exact opposite of how I evaluate front offices (and to a lesser extent coaches). There are a multitude of critical factors beyond the control of management (including limitations and preferences imposed by the tippy top of management - the owners) that have to come together to reach these types of outcomes.

Do what you want of course. This is in fact the most common results-oriented way sports fans do form their opinions. But it’s superficial and just sets fans up for misplaced anger and disappointment when things don’t come together just so. Which they usually don’t, regardless of “fault” or competence.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#50 » by logical_art » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:36 pm

If nothing else, not having to see Gar's mug at every press conference will bring some respite. The guy looks like straight out of casting for some duplicitous mob b level henchman.
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,372

Post#51 » by The Box Office » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:01 pm

None. Zero. I'm just happy we have new people.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#52 » by transplant » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:05 pm

Not at all surprisingly, I'm with Doug and Duck on this.

I want to be able to look at the key decisions the FO makes and see that these decisions are sound, based on strong preparation and solid judgement. My hope is that, with more (bigger staff) and smarter (best and brightest without regard to organizational loyalty) investment in FO talent on court results will improve.

What I firmly believe is that making a bad NBA team good, much less great, is anything but easy and if you expect quick success, you're expecting too much. And luck is the wild card...good and bad. FWIW, the Bulls are due.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#53 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:12 pm

My expectation is for the Bulls to become a competitive respected organization and a serious free agent destination. I want that to happen by Summer 2021. It doesn't take long to change how your team or program is viewed if you make the right hire. My main thing right now is that Boylen must go for any of that to happen.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,197

Post#54 » by HomoSapien » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:21 pm

Ultimately, my expectations are to build a contender that has a legitimate chance to win a championship. I never felt confident in GarPax to get us to the finish line. So much was dependent on luck with them, and whenever we had contenders they always failed to address our holes.

This time, I feel like we have a guy who is hungry to win and will keep improving the roster. I'm not sure what my timeline is for that, but I'll be happy as long as I think things are being handled in the right way (I.E. not including a 1st round pick in trades (Jimmy Butler), not selling second round picks, hiring strong coaches to lead a rebuild, etc.).
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,359

Post#55 » by pipfan » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:45 pm

I think we have to make the playoffs next year. We have the talent-and we will get a better coach (can't be worse). Then, a year from now we have White, Sato, Lavine, Hutch, Lauri, Carter, Gafford, our top 10 pick this year-that should be attractive to a top FA
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,497

Post#56 » by old skool » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:51 pm

It sounds to me that a lot of posters here vastly underestimate how long it takes to build a playoff contender. Unless lightening strikes and the Bulls draft a sleeper that turns into a superstar, or a Lebron James wants to move into town, rebuilding is a long, laborious process. Which team would be the gold standard for building a winner without a heavy dose of draft good fortune? Brooklyn has done a better job than almost anyone thought possible. They have had one winning season (42-40) in the last six years. Indiana has been impressive, but they have not had home court advantage in the playoffs even once in the last six seasons. Boston has been near the top of the East, primarily because the Nets gave them a ton of draft assets for aging Garnett and Pierce. Miami was on top when Lebron was there, but in the six seasons since he left they have not had back to back seasons over .500 . Toronto has been the most successful team in the East in recent years. The Raptors have won a title and finished over .500 for 7 straight years, but even then, their playoff record over that period is 37-39 and fans were generally disgruntled until Kawhi gave them a year of magic.

So maybe the Bulls could one day be like the Raptors. More likely the best that can be expected is something like the Nets or Pacers, a bottom of the playoffs team that is quickly eliminated from the playoffs. The Bulls will be in the scrum with Atlanta, New York, Detroit, Charlotte, Orlando, Cleveland and Washington trying to crawl out of the lottery. New front office leadership will add interest, but it is really luck that is needed to elevate the team to a perennial playoff contender. Even then, with draft lottery (or even G-League) luck, the turn-around takes several years.
nitetrain8603
RealGM

Post#57 » by nitetrain8603 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:17 pm

DuckIII wrote:

This is an example of the exact opposite of how I evaluate front offices (and to a lesser extent coaches). There are a multitude of critical factors beyond the control of management (including limitations and preferences imposed by the tippy top of management - the owners) that have to come together to reach these types of outcomes.

Do what you want of course. This is in fact the most common results-oriented way sports fans do form their opinions. But it’s superficial and just sets fans up for misplaced anger and disappointment when things don’t come together just so. Which they usually don’t, regardless of “fault” or competence.

Well if we believe that ownership is giving the new FO all the tools to be successful, yes, I'm going to judge long term based on results. In the end, there's more than one way to skin a cat. He can build his team thru the draft, thru FAs, thru trades, or all of the above. I'm not going to judge him on style. I'm going to judge on results.

This is just like any other job. I go to work, my boss judges me on results, not how I got there.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,075

Post#58 » by MrSparkle » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:24 pm

old skool wrote:It sounds to me that a lot of posters here vastly underestimate how long it takes to build a playoff contender. Unless lightening strikes and the Bulls draft a sleeper that turns into a superstar, or a Lebron James wants to move into town, rebuilding is a long, laborious process. Which team would be the gold standard for building a winner without a heavy dose of draft good fortune? Brooklyn has done a better job than almost anyone thought possible. They have had one winning season (42-40) in the last six years. Indiana has been impressive, but they have not had home court advantage in the playoffs even once in the last six seasons. Boston has been near the top of the East, primarily because the Nets gave them a ton of draft assets for aging Garnett and Pierce. Miami was on top when Lebron was there, but in the six seasons since he left they have not had back to back seasons over .500 . Toronto has been the most successful team in the East in recent years. The Raptors have won a title and finished over .500 for 7 straight years, but even then, their playoff record over that period is 37-39 and fans were generally disgruntled until Kawhi gave them a year of magic.

So maybe the Bulls could one day be like the Raptors. More likely the best that can be expected is something like the Nets or Pacers, a bottom of the playoffs team that is quickly eliminated from the playoffs. The Bulls will be in the scrum with Atlanta, New York, Detroit, Charlotte, Orlando, Cleveland and Washington trying to crawl out of the lottery. New front office leadership will add interest, but it is really luck that is needed to elevate the team to a perennial playoff contender. Even then, with draft lottery (or even G-League) luck, the turn-around takes several years.

Well, the Bulls had a fringe playoff team (34-39 wins expected). It's just... between coaching, player development, individual player performance (particularly shooting %), chemistry, and injuries, everything that could go wrong, went wrong.

Let's suppose that everything goes well (coaching improves, Otto stays healthy, Coby develops and shines in a starting role, Zach heeds AK/FO's demand for ball movement, Lauri improves back from his horrible season). That's not even taking into account roster adjustments (new top-10 pick, veteran FA or two, trades). Since Hutchinson projects to be out for most the year, I definitely see the wing position being (aggressively) addressed by AK, and that in itself would be at least a +5 win move (IMO). You address these things and 40-wins looks very attainable.

But I agree, it's unfair to talk playoffs (let alone contending). First goal is just getting good vibes in the locker-room and on the court. You can play good, entertaining basketball and still lose games. FWIW Denver was a lottery team for 5 years straight (triggered by Gallinari's ACL, George Karl imploding and leaving, the bizarre Igoudala story where he's praying with GSW before their playoff games then signing with him, etc.; rough year) before starting to turn the corner. But just saying, those last 2 years of missing the playoffs, they were actually a really solid team (40 wins in 16/17, followed by a ridiculous 46 wins in 17/18 which still wasn't good enough in the West to make 8 seed). And frankly, even in their losing stretches, Denver has been a fun team to watch the last 8 years; fast, athletic and skilled (shooting/passing).

This is where my head's at. Just get the system going. Something I think GarPax wanted to do in theory, but just never materialized due to horrendous coaching and roster building the last 4 rebuild years.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,584

Post#59 » by DuckIII » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:24 pm

nitetrain8603 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Well if we believe that ownership is giving the new FO all the tools to be successful, yes, I'm going to judge long term based on results. In the end, there's more than one way to skin a cat. He can build his team thru the draft, thru FAs, thru trades, or all of the above. I'm not going to judge him on style. I'm going to judge on results.

This is just like any other job. I go to work, my boss judges me on results, not how I got there.

Not all jobs produce outcomes equally controllable by the actor. So it’s irrelevant how one line of work operates relative to another unless the scenarios are on all fours.

But again, obviously apply whatever method you want.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
WookieOnRitalin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 270

Post#60 » by WookieOnRitalin » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:30 pm

DuckIII wrote:
But again, obviously apply whatever method you want.

Duck,

It looks like 2021 will be a big year for this Front Office. Big draft. Big Free Agency class.

We are obviously dealing with a lot of unknowns at this juncture, but what would a successful year 2 look like for the front office (or failure as the case may be)?
"As you think, so shall you become." --- Bruce Lee

Return to Chicago Bulls