Image ImageImage Image

Bulls GM Search - Eversley, Hughes, Lloyd, Finley, Newman, Brown inteviewed

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Re: Bulls GM Search - Eversley, Hughes, Lloyd, Finley, Newman inteviewed 

Post#161 » by Jcool0 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:04 pm

Chewie wrote:
aramada wrote:Per Sportando, Austin Brown is in advanced discussion to be the Bulls' GM. He's Zion's agent at CAA. Also represents Denzel and Dunn. Was DWade's agent prior to retirement.

(initially posted in the Finley thread. this is a better thread to post it)

Believe he reps Donovan Mitchell? Hmmmm

Read on Twitter
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,955

Post#162 » by Axl Rose » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:49 pm

Every time i see Hughes i keep thinking we interviewed Larry Hughes :lol: That man has ruined the name Hughes for me.
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,898

Post#163 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:49 pm

This whole exercise just goes to show how pathetic our previous front office was.

We were tripping over ourselves to earn favor with Mark Bartelstein whose list of clients looks like a G-League team.
chicago paxsons
Bench Warmer
And1: 722

Post#164 » by chicago paxsons » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:08 pm

I’m hesitant on the idea of an agent as gm. I know having someone who can get along with players and convince them to come to chicago would be helpful, but i find it hard to believe that we wouldn’t be able to find that ability in someone who also has previous fo experience. I like the idea of finley at least for name recognition as a former player that is well liked, not that i’m saying that’s all that matters for the gm job.

I just think the best person would be someone with player recognition, who can get along with players and help with free agency while also having worked in the fo of an nba team before would be the most beneficial hire.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#165 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:09 pm

Is this Austin Brown really only 31yrs old?
He signed up Obi Toppin as well in last days.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,759

Post#166 » by Dominator83 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:38 pm

Im kind of liking this Austin Brown character. He definitely fits the bill of having some new blood and fresh voices around here. I was originally thinking that i'd prefer a draft guru. But for all we know, maybe AK himself plans to make the draft calls anyway, and wants his GM to handle negotiating trades and free agency
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#167 » by Jcool0 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:24 pm

Austin Brown lives in Chicago... Ahhhhh.... This all makes more sense now.
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Post#168 » by bullsnewdynasty » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:05 pm

Brown would be interesting. Would definitely indicate the move to more of a player's FO.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Re: Bulls GM Search - Eversley, Hughes, Lloyd, Finley, Newman, Brown inteviewed 

Post#169 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:03 am

Brown joins Eversley as a tier 1 candidate for me.
R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,314

Post#170 » by R3AL1TY » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:07 am

Arturas said he wants someone opposite from him for the GM job, which may imply a person with a different career path and knowledge about the business than his. I can see Brown being a leading candidate that fits this requirement.
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#171 » by AKfanatic » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:08 am

TheSuzerain wrote:Brown joins Eversley as a tier 1 candidate for me.

The more I read, the more I like what I’m hearing about either of them.

It’s really refreshing to see AK doing some true diligence and looking at guys that the Bulls normally wouldn’t have considered.

This process is giving me high hopes for things to come over the next era of Bulls basketball.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#172 » by TheFinishSniper » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:23 am

AKfanatic wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:Brown joins Eversley as a tier 1 candidate for me.

The more I read, the more I like what I’m hearing about either of them.

It’s really refreshing to see AK doing some true diligence and looking at guys that the Bulls normally wouldn’t have considered.

This process is giving me high hopes for things to come over the next era of Bulls basketball.

I love dilligence and this waiting process. Hearing about 2nd round interviews. Which means this role isnt exactly "token" bull*** we heard from reports. Whoever gets a role he got it likely because he deserved it. And that's more than I can say about most hires in 21st century in Bulls organization.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,837

Post#173 » by dougthonus » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:48 pm

Brown's an interesting candidate. I don't know much about him, but I think someone with a law degree that worked as a player agent is a pretty good choice. Obviously going to have a strong background in player relations and negotiation which will be valuable tools and probably a good fit next to AK whom has more of a strict basketball background.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,175

Post#174 » by League Circles » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:57 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:This whole exercise just goes to show how pathetic our previous front office was.

We were tripping over ourselves to earn favor with Mark Bartelstein whose list of clients looks like a G-League team.

Honest question, how did we trip over ourselves? Did we do something clearly against our interests to earn favor with him?
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#175 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:01 pm

League Circles wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:This whole exercise just goes to show how pathetic our previous front office was.

Honest question, how did we trip over ourselves? Did we do something clearly against our interests to earn favor with him?

Kill draft pick

Chandler Hutchison promise
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#176 » by ATRAIN53 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:25 pm

It's more interesting to me as this drags out that that AK does not already have a guy pegged for this slot.
You would think if you were just handed control over a team - you'd have a short list of guys you planned to bring with.

I mean we all know no matter how good anyone is - the usually have a trusted support staff behind the scenes.

So this guy hiring someone he doesn't know or trust makes me think he's not really the guy doing the hiring.

Feels like Paxson told him were gettng a young guy who will work 24/7/365

The trend of agents becoming GM's stated a while ago - Arn Tellum in Detroit and that guy the Mets hired last year.
Knicks just started the trend in the NBA and it will continue. It makes sense, they know the players.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#177 » by League Circles » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:47 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
League Circles wrote:

Kill draft pick

Well that may have been a bad decision, but there was clearly a positive result of it from the Bulls perspective.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#178 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:52 pm

League Circles wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
League Circles wrote:

Kill draft pick

Well that may have been a bad decision, but there was clearly a positive result of it from the Bulls perspective.

What positive result?
League Circles
RealGM

Post#179 » by League Circles » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:34 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
League Circles wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:Kill draft pick

What positive result?

They wanted him more than their projected available field at their pick, so their alleged promise caused him to not work out for other teams, which may or may not have caused him to fall to us, but either way they got their guy. I wouldn't have made a promise like that, but there's a clear basketball reason for it, even if we disagree that the reason was worth it. Just waiting and drafting the player when he fell would have endeared us to Bartelstein just as much I'd think. Hell, the promise, once offered, probably hurts the agent more if accepted by the player than declining the offer would. If you decline the offer, you still likely get drafted no later than our spot anyways.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,234

Post#180 » by HomoSapien » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:20 pm

Brown could be a really interesting candidate who can help recruiting big free-agents here. I'm not worried about his lack of experience since AK is going to be heavily involved in everything anyway.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.

Return to Chicago Bulls