Image ImageImage Image

OT: What non-basketball forums do you post in?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Ben Wilson25
Rookie
And1: 529

OT: What non-basketball forums do you post in? 

Post#1 » by Ben Wilson25 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:56 pm

I always like threads where we get a glimpse of the outside life of posters we think we know so well from this board. These tidbits whether good, bad or horrifying pictures of feet, are the character development that’s drawn me into this community. Interested to see where other hobbies may intersect.

This is the only forum I actually post in, and as you can see from less than 900 posts in 14 years (probably a quarter of those were in the Fred Tedeschi thread :D ) I prefer to lurk.

The other forums I regularly visit I only read and don’t post because honestly I’m not invested in the personalities so it’s less of a conversation and more passive consumption.

I collect watches so I go the forums on watchuseek mainly to look at pictures of watches.

My other hobby is fixing, restoring and riding vintage mopeds and motorcycles. I go to mopedarmy and hondatwins to scratch those itches. Again, to look at pictures of bikes but those are also great resources for tracking down parts and getting knowledge from people with decades of experience making these old machines run. I’ve started hunting for a vintage car project recently so I’ll probably add a car forum at some point but that’s really it for now.

Let’s hear yours. Mods, I know there are some rules about promoting other forums so if this is too close to the line feel free to lock it up.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Re: OT: What non-basketball forums do you post in? 

Post#2 » by League Circles » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:59 pm

I like your interests, I've also been into watches and restoring old motorcycles at times, and also don't really post anywhere else. Once every few years I'll need some specific info on a computer or car issue and I'll jump in some very narrow topic thread on those, but it's mostly just here.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#3 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:04 pm

ResetEra, various subreddits, UGA 247.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,412

Post#4 » by jnrjr79 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:28 pm

I read and occasionally post in forums related to our family's cars. Mostly I'm looking for recommendations as to cargo boxes, bike rack setups, etc.

I used to read and post in a craft beer forum a lot, but now I only mostly go there before I travel somewhere to do some research on breweries/taprooms to visit. Relatedly, I read, but don't post much, in homebrewing forums.

That's about it? Any other stuff is mostly seeking out tech advice for computer/stereo equipment if I'm setting stuff up and encountering problems.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#5 » by Dominator83 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:15 pm

Wrestling forums for me
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Grodoboldo
Analyst
And1: 2,819

Post#6 » by Grodoboldo » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:31 pm

None. You maniacs really are unique. 8-)
Constantly underwhelmed by the Bulls.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,452

Post#7 » by samwana » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:44 pm

Sometimes I visit specific holiday and camping forums when I need information, but there is no place like home (here).

I am on Facebook for multiple different topics, there just isn't a forum like this.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,753

Post#8 » by dougthonus » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:50 pm

I used to post in a bunch of finance forums, but I haven't done that in a long time.

I will contribute to reddit on forums about games I play if I'm into anything at the moment. I only play mobile games, so it isn't something I spend a ton of time on though. Just something to do on the train to and from work.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,505

Post#9 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:07 pm

dougthonus wrote:I used to post in a bunch of finance forums, but I haven't done that in a long time.

I will contribute to reddit on forums about games I play if I'm into anything at the moment. I only play mobile games, so it isn't something I spend a ton of time on though. Just something to do on the train to and from work.

Any mobile game recs you can pass along?
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,549

Post#10 » by PaKii94 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:37 pm

The is the only forum I post for. I am a member of a forum for my car (e80post) and then I browse reddit for other consumption (tech/politics/news)
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,431

Post#11 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:48 pm

There are a few I touch here and there. Chicagosportssfanatics which is the old WSCR670 forum. I also post on numerous guitar related sites like The Gear Page and a few others as I buy sell and trade instruments.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,891

Post#12 » by bledredwine » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:34 pm

Reddit and da speed demon community (community of classical pianists who type like gangsters)
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,753

Post#13 » by dougthonus » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:37 am

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:Any mobile game recs you can pass along?

My favorite mobile game is Soul Knight. I've been playing it for a couple of years now.

The game play is rogue like. Random dungeons, encounters, weapons, buffs, bonus rooms, etc...

The game is also a resource collection game, you can save materials to craft weapons, you can build a garden where different plants start you with perks, there are items in the lobby you can power up that impact all characters, each character has different rankings which grant them new abilities etc...

There are pretty low pay mechanics to the game. If you spent $2 on buying the "free revive pass" and unlocking the Paladin character, you would have about 95% of the only things ever worth buying from a power perspective. I think I added it up and if you buy everything in the game that impacts game play, it's $42. If you buy everything that you need to be "as powerful as possible", it's about $10. There's no reason to buy anything though until you have played for a couple months.

Only complaint is it has no online multiplayer, the multiplayer only works on wifi.

I've played other games that I enjoyed a lot, but most of them end up with very heavy pay mechanics in the long run which is why I like this game. You can buy the in game currency if you want, but if you enjoy the game there isn't a lot of need to. You can pick it up easily enough just by playing.

Most other games I've played that don't have pay to win mechanics are of the "simple mechanic" type with lots of different levels that get old quickly and only last a little bit of time or a lot of the strategy board games I like to play in person with people have mobile versions, but I've generally not enjoyed those so much and have found that it isn't the game as much as the company.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,340

Post#14 » by Kurt Heimlich » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:56 am

RealGM is my first love. r/wallstreetbets is my embarrassingly shady side piece that I can't get enough of.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,427

Post#15 » by TheGOATRises007 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:58 am

Redcafe since I'm a United fan.

Used to post a lot on r/fifa, but stopped.
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,440

Post#16 » by ImSlower » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:13 am

Permanent lurker, former poster at a great Cardinals board. Member on Westeros.org for like twenty years now. A couple reddit subs for PC games I play. Twitch channels if those count.
RoundMoundOfRebound
RealGM
And1: 13,403

Post#17 » by RoundMoundOfRebound » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:04 am

There are other forums besides RealGM?

I used to read/post on some business and music related forums but they are all gone now.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#18 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:24 am

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
dougthonus wrote:I used to post in a bunch of finance forums, but I haven't done that in a long time.

Any mobile game recs you can pass along?

I downloaded the Xmen arcade game a while back. That game still rules.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,544

Post#19 » by dice » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:44 am

i think there are only 2 other forums i've ever posted frequently on, both of which are defunct: teenagewildlife.com, which was a david bowie site, and soundopinions.com, which was the board for an ongoing national rock music discussion show hosted by 2 chicago critics
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,291

Post#20 » by dumbell78 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:06 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:There are a few I touch here and there. Chicagosportssfanatics which is the old WSCR670 forum. I also post on numerous guitar related sites like The Gear Page and a few others as I buy sell and trade instruments.

Yup on TGP as well, couple other guitar forums but TGP is home for music.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes

Return to Chicago Bulls