Image ImageImage Image

OT: What non-basketball forums do you post in?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

gardenofsound
Starter
And1: 1,780

Re: OT: What non-basketball forums do you post in? 

Post#41 » by gardenofsound » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:52 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
gardenofsound wrote:Tried and almost bought an Ecstacy but ended up buying a Sig:X instead. Tried them both within the same month and thought the Siggy did everything the Ecstasy could do and then some.

I had a Mark IV and then got VHT UL and later a CL with EQ and had the same experience. The VHT or Fryette was a better amp. I was at a NAMM show and in the VHT booth as a spectator. Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) came up to me and told how great my amps were. I honestly never played a Sig X but Fryette is an amazing amp builder. My best friend growing up works for Suhr and John has great stuff too. Oh I could talk gear all day. I am definitely a VHT and Bogner fanboy though.

Awesome!

My amp stable right now is a Sig:X, CLX with EQ, and a Diezel D-Moll. Also have a Fryette GP/DI (was a Kickstarter backer) and the Power Station for a more compact rig at home.

I've done the Marshall thing... 4210, 2203, 1987XL, JCM-900 HGDR, etc. Done the Mesa Recto thing (Roadster and a Trem O Verb).

Honestly the only two amps I ever feel I miss are the Trem-O-Verb and the Peavey VTM-60 I had for several years. I sold that off when I got a VHT D60. The Deliverance amps are wonderful but the Sig:X gets close enough, but then provides so much more versatility that I don't really pine for it much. Plus the GP/DI gets close as well.

The Trem-O-Verb with EL34's in it is a phenomenal amp. Not your standard Recto. Then the VTM-60 is also everything I wanted out of a JCM-800. Boost it with a SD-1 and you can do anything.

I've always wanted to try out a Fish, Triple Giant, CAE 3+ or Demeter TGP through a 2150. Between Jerry Cantrell, Dave Mustaine, and Dean Deleo using variations on those rigs, the 2150 just seems like it's the power amp to end all power amps. Still, too expensive and heavy for me.

I had a Mako Mak4 running into a Fryette 2/90/2 for a brief while but that was by far the heaviest rig I've ever had, and... never again. That Mak4 sounded good but was extremely noisy also, so I never really got everything I would have wanted out of it.

Yeah, I can talk gear for days.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,431

Post#42 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:39 pm

gardenofsound wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
gardenofsound wrote:Tried and almost bought an Ecstacy but ended up buying a Sig:X instead. Tried them both within the same month and thought the Siggy did everything the Ecstasy could do and then some.

I had a Mark IV and then got VHT UL and later a CL with EQ and had the same experience. The VHT or Fryette was a better amp. I was at a NAMM show and in the VHT booth as a spectator. Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) came up to me and told how great my amps were. I honestly never played a Sig X but Fryette is an amazing amp builder. My best friend growing up works for Suhr and John has great stuff too. Oh I could talk gear all day. I am definitely a VHT and Bogner fanboy though.

Awesome!

My amp stable right now is a Sig:X, CLX with EQ, and a Diezel D-Moll. Also have a Fryette GP/DI (was a Kickstarter backer) and the Power Station for a more compact rig at home.

I've done the Marshall thing... 4210, 2203, 1987XL, JCM-900 HGDR, etc. Done the Mesa Recto thing (Roadster and a Trem O Verb).

Honestly the only two amps I ever feel I miss are the Trem-O-Verb and the Peavey VTM-60 I had for several years. I sold that off when I got a VHT D60. The Deliverance amps are wonderful but the Sig:X gets close enough, but then provides so much more versatility that I don't really pine for it much. Plus the GP/DI gets close as well.

The Trem-O-Verb with EL34's in it is a phenomenal amp. Not your standard Recto. Then the VTM-60 is also everything I wanted out of a JCM-800. Boost it with a SD-1 and you can do anything.

I've always wanted to try out a Fish, Triple Giant, CAE 3+ or Demeter TGP through a 2150. Between Jerry Cantrell, Dave Mustaine, and Dean Deleo using variations on those rigs, the 2150 just seems like it's the power amp to end all power amps. Still, too expensive and heavy for me.

I had a Mako Mak4 running into a Fryette 2/90/2 for a brief while but that was by far the heaviest rig I've ever had, and... never again. That Mak4 sounded good but was extremely noisy also, so I never really got everything I would have wanted out of it.

I had a triple giant with a 2150 and a g major it was amazing and also impossible to move. Never had a fish but that was a dream of mine. I actually found a “Bogner” triple giant at the highland park guitar center years ago. It had to be one of the early prototypes. I had the Hafler version. The CAE is stupid good. I also had the soldano pre amp in that rig, not the XR88 but the other one can’t recall it. I also ran that through one of the early power balls. I love what those did but just seem to get lost in the mix.

I had a tremoverb 2-12 combo ant that was the only amp I ever owned that made the old 5150 Combe feel light. Yes they are really awesome, but the original dual recs I think are still the best of the Rectifier series, followed closely by the tremoverb. Even the modern recs are a little underrated because they got such a bad stigma after over saturation in the market. I love the builds but something about the gain of boogies has never been pleasing to me, nit bad but nit amazing. I’ve owned so many mark’s because I wanted to love them.

I had a Carol Ann too a few years ago. I had the Tucana. I did not like it. It had that tone that the frames cobra and jcm900’s have which is a good thing if it’s your thing, just not for me.

To be honest I really like how Friedman’s sound. I don’t know that I like Dave but he has a great ear. I played the original JJ but keep debating get a JJjr (I don’t think I will ever get a 100 watt head again).

I actually just got an invite to buy a Fractal FM3 and I am going to pull the trigger on that. Modeling is good for me, the versatility and weight (oh and the fact I can play at low volume or headphones when the family is asleep) works. I do notice what is missing from a real amp though, there is no doubt. They can never fully replicate what the amp does, but the trade off is worth it for reasons that aren’t explainable lol. I mean how often can you really play in an amps sweet spot?

What do you think about the DMoll? I’ve played herberts and VH-4 and have considered the VH4 pedal to run in the helix loop. I love diezel. Nothing has ever filled a room like the sound of the VH-4 I played.
Alcatraz17
Sixth Man
And1: 994

Post#43 » by Alcatraz17 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:49 am

Michael Jackson wrote:

Ahhh Bodom. Saw them in a club with Evergrey and Iced Earth. Good memories.
gardenofsound
Starter

Post#44 » by gardenofsound » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:06 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
gardenofsound wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

Awesome!

I had a triple giant with a 2150 and a g major it was amazing and also impossible to move. Never had a fish but that was a dream of mine. I actually found a “Bogner” triple giant at the highland park guitar center years ago. It had to be one of the early prototypes. I had the Hafler version. The CAE is stupid good. I also had the soldano pre amp in that rig, not the XR88 but the other one can’t recall it. I also ran that through one of the early power balls. I love what those did but just seem to get lost in the mix.

I had a tremoverb 2-12 combo ant that was the only amp I ever owned that made the old 5150 Combe feel light. Yes they are really awesome, but the original dual recs I think are still the best of the Rectifier series, followed closely by the tremoverb. Even the modern recs are a little underrated because they got such a bad stigma after over saturation in the market. I love the builds but something about the gain of boogies has never been pleasing to me, nit bad but nit amazing. I’ve owned so many mark’s because I wanted to love them.

I had a Carol Ann too a few years ago. I had the Tucana. I did not like it. It had that tone that the frames cobra and jcm900’s have which is a good thing if it’s your thing, just not for me.

To be honest I really like how Friedman’s sound. I don’t know that I like Dave but he has a great ear. I played the original JJ but keep debating get a JJjr (I don’t think I will ever get a 100 watt head again).

I actually just got an invite to buy a Fractal FM3 and I am going to pull the trigger on that. Modeling is good for me, the versatility and weight (oh and the fact I can play at low volume or headphones when the family is asleep) works. I do notice what is missing from a real amp though, there is no doubt. They can never fully replicate what the amp does, but the trade off is worth it for reasons that aren’t explainable lol. I mean how often can you really play in an amps sweet spot?

What do you think about the DMoll? I’ve played herberts and VH-4 and have considered the VH4 pedal to run in the helix loop. I love diezel. Nothing has ever filled a room like the sound of the VH-4 I played.

Honestly the only Diezels I've tried are the Einstein and D-Moll. I got the D-Moll on Craigslist like five years ago because a local guy had it listed at a stupid good price, and I saw a flip opportunity. Clearly haven't flipped it yet. I love it. It's definitely an "easier" amp than the Fryettes in that it just sounds good no matter how you dial it in, and it sounds preproduced when you put a mic in front of the cone. I was listening to some jam recordings from a few years ago recently and was kind of taken aback at how well that amp records.

I still love 100W heads but the Helix and Power Station allow me to silently record or play through headphones. Load an IR into the Helix and I'm set.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#45 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:08 pm

gardenofsound wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
gardenofsound wrote:
Awesome!

Honestly the only Diezels I've tried are the Einstein and D-Moll. I got the D-Moll on Craigslist like five years ago because a local guy had it listed at a stupid good price, and I saw a flip opportunity. Clearly haven't flipped it yet. I love it. It's definitely an "easier" amp than the Fryettes in that it just sounds good no matter how you dial it in, and it sounds preproduced when you put a mic in front of the cone. I was listening to some jam recordings from a few years ago recently and was kind of taken aback at how well that amp records.

I still love 100W heads but the Helix and Power Station allow me to silently record or play through headphones. Load an IR into the Helix and I'm set.

What cab are you running with the helix and power station.
gardenofsound
Starter

Post#46 » by gardenofsound » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:16 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
gardenofsound wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

Usually a Fryette R112 at home. At the rehearsal space, usually a Fryette FB412 with P50E's. Really depends. I haven't used just the Helix and Power Station much together without a head also being involved.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#47 » by ATRAIN53 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:27 pm

I'm a huge music fan/collector and love live recordings.

Bootlegs are what drew me to the internet early on to trade music. Most live music was only on vinyl records and very expensive. Finding and trading this stuff at conventions was difficult and expensive. Once the internet got popular, people from all over the world started digitizing these thing and sharing them. I seek out hi quality stuff for my collection. I have a small room in my basement called 'the archive' and I have boxes of stuff in there I have collected.

It's amazing to find live recording of bands like Chicago recorded in 1969 at the Fillmore West that have been sitting in someones private collection for decades. There is a gaggle of this stuff out there in great quality that has just been collecting dust and now shared among fans.

I'm on a ton of audio forums, torrent trackers that share and discuss music.

I'm a huge 70's fan, but I also love new music, but esp enjoy collecting and seeing live music.
I sneak out every few months to go see live music. The louder, the later the better.
Jello Biafra
Analyst
And1: 348

Post#48 » by Jello Biafra » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:00 pm

transplant wrote:If I could find a good Bears board, I'd post there (suggestions welcomed). Same would be true if there was a Human Resources board...I spent 30+ years in the field.

I've posted on several Bulls boards over the years, but this is the only one that has the caliber of posters that makes it worthwhile.

Edit: I have also posted on several cigar forums...cigar.com is one. They suck.

The Bears Board I post on is Windy City Gridiron. There are some knowledgeable posters there and not nearly as many troll posts or posts hating the team/players as this board. The writers are good too. I like it better than Fansided or Bleacher Report.

I post on the Illiniboard even though I am a Badger fan. I could explain but nobody cares.

As an oddity, I post on a Greek cooking and recipe sharing site.

I used to be on boards like this a lot more but spend more time now on stuff like twitter and reddit.
OnlyTheOneAndOnly
Sophomore
And1: 49

Post#49 » by OnlyTheOneAndOnly » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:03 pm

grew up during the michael jordan years...fell in love with not only the chicago bulls during that time, but also air jordan sneakers. i've always been into nikes and jordans and have been collecting for over 20 years, and have been a member of a sneaker forum called niketalk since it's inception in 1999.
HINrichPolice
General Manager
And1: 1,706

Post#50 » by HINrichPolice » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:32 pm

I've been on Twitter a lot the past few months as I finally go really interested in politics. It's very tiresome, but I've also learned so much and feel very inspired for the first time in my life regarding politics.

If any of my fellow RealGM fam also happen to be Yang Gang, I'd love to connect with you!
CONTENDERS FIND A WAY
Friend_Of_Haley
RealGM
And1: 374

Post#51 » by Friend_Of_Haley » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:31 am

Just a bunch of sports forums. Cubs, Bears, and Illinois High School Football forum. The Cubs forum I spend a lot of time doing politics, and other general talk on (used to do OT/Current Affairs here but dropped off years ago).
ThreeMileAllan
Veteran
And1: 770

Post#52 » by ThreeMileAllan » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:16 am

dougthonus wrote:I used to post in a bunch of finance forums, but I haven't done that in a long time.

I will contribute to reddit on forums about games I play if I'm into anything at the moment. I only play mobile games, so it isn't something I spend a ton of time on though. Just something to do on the train to and from work.
What are some good finance forums to look at?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
On the Crawford/Rose bandwagon in 2002... 2009, 2011, 2012, 2017... :laugh: Finally in 2018! 16 year wait!
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,753

Post#53 » by dougthonus » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:43 am

ThreeMileAllan wrote:What are some good finance forums to look at?

Beats me, the last one I invested in was called Silicon Investor, but that was literally about 20 years ago. No idea if it still exists or if it still is any good.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#54 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:26 pm

gardenofsound wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
gardenofsound wrote:

Usually a Fryette R112 at home. At the rehearsal space, usually a Fryette FB412 with P50E's. Really depends. I haven't used just the Helix and Power Station much together without a head also being involved.

Small side note. I got the FM3 in yesterday and it looks like the helix is out the door.
gardenofsound
Starter

Post#55 » by gardenofsound » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:49 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
gardenofsound wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

Small side note. I got the FM3 in yesterday and it looks like the helix is out the door.

That good, huh?

Can you talk me through what makes it that much better? Only three switches kind of worries me given all of the snapshots/stomp functionality I currently use with the Helix.

I'm kind of a flipper also so wouldn't rule out a FM 3 and selling my Helix, but I must say the Helix really is only missing one thing I want which is polyphonic pitch shifting, which is the only reason I still use a regular pedalboard in rehearsals/jams. I've got a Whammy V and TC Sub n' Up and actually use them pretty heavily for their polyphonic capabilities.
Ben Wilson25
Rookie
And1: 529

Post#56 » by Ben Wilson25 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:25 pm

Jello Biafra wrote:
transplant wrote:If I could find a good Bears board, I'd post there (suggestions welcomed).

The Bears Board I post on is Windy City Gridiron. There are some knowledgeable posters there and not nearly as many troll posts or posts hating the team/players as this board. The writers are good too. I like it better than Fansided or Bleacher Report.

I post on the Illiniboard even though I am a Badger fan. I could explain but nobody cares.

As an oddity, I post on a Greek cooking and recipe sharing site.

I used to be on boards like this a lot more but spend more time now on stuff like twitter and reddit.

Thanks, I’ll check out Windy City Gridiron. I’m in the same boat as transplant. I wish the RealGM Bears board were more active especially now around the draft.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#57 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:39 pm

gardenofsound wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
gardenofsound wrote:

That good, huh?

Can you talk me through what makes it that much better? Only three switches kind of worries me given all of the snapshots/stomp functionality I currently use with the Helix.

I'm kind of a flipper also so wouldn't rule out a FM 3 and selling my Helix, but I must say the Helix really is only missing one thing I want which is polyphonic pitch shifting, which is the only reason I still use a regular pedalboard in rehearsals/jams. I've got a Whammy V and TC Sub n' Up and actually use them pretty heavily for their polyphonic capabilities.

I use a drop d with either anyway.

So I have always liked Fractals modeling a bit better (not my first product). 3 switches is nit really enough and I am not into the funky configurations but you can get the 6 or 12 foot controller if needed. Obviously adds more moneY invested. I love the I/O on the helix better which the AXE III has but not the FM. I find that with the Fractal, it is easier to dial in a sound, less pre and post eqs, although you can get there with helix and helix is easy to program it takes a bit more for my likes. Totally a personal thing. I like to think of it this way, the Helix is Patrick Kane, Fractal is Gretzky. You aren’t going to be sad if either is on your team but a bit happier with one. It is splitting hairs.
gardenofsound
Starter

Post#58 » by gardenofsound » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:17 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
gardenofsound wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

That good, huh?

I use a drop d with either anyway.

So I have always liked Fractals modeling a bit better (not my first product). 3 switches is nit really enough and I am not into the funky configurations but you can get the 6 or 12 foot controller if needed. Obviously adds more moneY invested. I love the I/O on the helix better which the AXE III has but not the FM. I find that with the Fractal, it is easier to dial in a sound, less pre and post eqs, although you can get there with helix and helix is easy to program it takes a bit more for my likes. Totally a personal thing. I like to think of it this way, the Helix is Patrick Kane, Fractal is Gretzky. You aren’t going to be sad if either is on your team but a bit happier with one. It is splitting hairs.

The new Helix update has been pretty awesome for me. Loving the Revv Purple in particular.

Return to Chicago Bulls