Image ImageImage Image

One more reason Mark Jackson Will probably not be our coach

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

One more reason Mark Jackson Will probably not be our coach 

Post#1 » by JimmyJammer » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:51 am

Mark Jackson confident he'll coach in the NBA again: 'I truly believe that the day will come'By Michael Kaskey-BlomainApr 15, 2020 at 5:17 pm ET • 2 min read

Current ESPN NBA analyst Mark Jackson hasn't coached in the league since 2014, but that's not diminishing his confidence about being back on the sideline at some point. Jackson's last run as head coach was with the Golden State Warriors from 2011 to 2014, during which time he helped to turn them from a lottery team into a playoff contender. He was replaced by Steve Kerr, who led the team to five straight Finals appearances (2015-2019) and three titles. 

"I truly believe that the day will come when I have the opportunity to walk the sidelines again and lead a basketball team," Jackson said during his recent appearance on Showtime's "All The Smoke" podcast with Stephen Jackson and Matt Barnes. "For three years in Golden State, I had the time of my life impacting players, developing relationships and changing a culture. I truly was blessed to do that, and I look forward to the opportunity to do it again."  

Former Warriors forward Andre Iguodala has previously suggested that Jackson has been blackballed from the NBA due to his religious beliefs. 

"One particular issue was [Jackson's] views on gender or marriage or what the bible says on your sexuality," Iguodala said on Power 105.1's The Breakfast Club last June, via Sports Illustrated.  "The head of our business Rick Welts ... he's celebrated as one of the top execs in sports, on the business side, and he's gay, so there was conflicts with that that was widespread ... [Jackson] was one of my favorite coaches of all time. He was going to put you in the best position to make the most money. There was players that got paid because of him that shouldn't have gotten paid."

For what it's worth, Jackson shot down the idea that he was being boxed out from making a return as a head coach. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/mark-jackson-confident-hell-coach-in-the-nba-again-i-truly-believe-that-the-day-will-come/

It seems like Igouadala came out and gave details about why Jackson is being blackballed. So, all of the nonsense about feuding with management came down to his beliefs?
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Re: The ridiculous reason why Mark Jackson Will probably not be our coach 

Post#2 » by GimmeDat » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:55 am

However ridiculous the reason may be, if it means Mark Jackson will not be our coach, I'll take it.

But yeah, Mark's pretty over the top with that stuff. It's been pretty widely publicized.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,581

Post#3 » by DuckIII » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:03 am

So what’s the ridiculous part?
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#4 » by dice » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:04 am

it seems far-fetched to me that religious beliefs are the only reason. it's not like he was public with any of that stuff. he wasn't damaging the franchise brand any more than he's damaging that of his current employer (disney)

while coaching the warriors a stripper that he had had an affair with years earlier attempted to extort him...so he didn't exactly have firm footing when it came to making morality judgments...particularly given that, you know, being gay is not a choice whereas having an affair is. so that may have been particularly grating
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,695

Post#5 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:05 am

Not suprised if its part of the reason. Were lots of murmurs of his religious fervour effecting his work. Stories of basically taking Curry to church to bless his ankle injury away, make him stand up like its healed. Beefing with some players due religion or making them snitch on eacother (Festus Ezeli incident), painting front office as their enemy etc. Disastrous handling of coaching staff eyc.

Generally was super popular with his players tho (did great coaching them defensively and make them believe they can do something), they loved him, except Bogut apparently (and the mentionned Ezeli case).The thing was, the players were 15, theres more then 10 times that working for the organisation, and according to their owner, all of the other staff hated Jackson, without going into details like Iggy, i
This was pretty telling:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nba/2014/12/6/7344165/mark-jackson-warriors-reasons-joe-lacob

So no, religion wasnt the main reason, part of it sure, but there was more to it. Might bigger reason for why he is black balled tho. If he cant seperate it from his work.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,635

Post#6 » by Dez » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:11 am

I assume that it's ridiculous because we're hopefully hiring good coaches from now on?

Because Mark Jackson not coaching the Bulls is a great thing.
Macallan
Freshman
And1: 56

Post#7 » by Macallan » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:15 am

Mark Jackson had a toxic relationship with the GSW front office. He also wasn't a great head coach. Probably has way more to do with why he can't get hired again.
Future Coach
Assistant Coach
And1: 468

Post#8 » by Future Coach » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:18 am

Dez wrote:I assume that it's ridiculous because we're hopefully hiring good coaches from now on?

Because Mark Jackson not coaching the Bulls is a great thing.

Agreed. Mark Jackson is not a good coach. And that is the primary reason that a NBA team should not hire him to be a coach.

Additionally, if he is pushing his bigotry into the work place, that shouldn't be tolerated either.
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:29 am

Some few things from his nighmare reign im copying from reddit, just to highlight how lucky you are for not hiring him:

Staged a coup of John Stockton while he was on the Jazz, causing Stockton to retire.

Cheated on his wife with a stripper, then getting blackmailed by the prostitute + some other guy, while at the same time being a born-again pastor

Bristled at Mike Malone being the assistant coach under him (ownership wanted him to be the Associate Head Coach, like Gentry was with Kerr, but when Jackson found out he said NO WAY

Didn't let assistant coaches do interviews with press because he thought they were gunning for his job

Pushed Malone out because Jackson thought Malone was gunning for his job

Ran ISO-ball all the time

Instilled a "us vs them" where the "them" was the entire front office. He would tell the players that the front office didn't want them to win so that Mark Jackson would look bad. C'mon that's lunacy

Barred Jerry West and Jim Barnett (the beloved TV color guy) along with everyone else from practices so they couldn't hear the crazy **** he said to the team

Told the team Ezeli was rooting for them to lose so that Ezeli would look better (he was injured). This culminated in Ezeli in tears saying that there was no way he would do this, when confronted by the team

Told the team that Harrison Barnes was possessed by a demon, which is why he regressed

Darren Erman, the assistant responsible for the defense after Mike Malone left, was recording Mark Jackson surreptitiously to try and capture the crazy **** like the Harrison Barnes demon thing and the Ezeli thing, but was caught and fired

Noted homophobe, including the "I'll pray for him" when discussing Jason Collins coming out. This doesn't fly in the bay area when a lot of the team staff is gay and so is the front office, including the COO/President Rick Welts

Didn't want to hire actual good assistants, instead, he hired yes-men like Pete Myers and Lindsay Hunter, who backstabbed Alvin Gentry in Phoenix to get the head job

All the coaching staff were allying themselves with star players instead of the players who actually needed their help/development, so a lot players like Barnes didn't get the development time and help they needed

He put players against each other, telling a star player "hey that bench thinks he's better than you" and then telling the bench guy "hey that star guy thinks you're ****, go take his job"

Didn't get along with anyone in the front office, including Jerry West, Bob Myers, and actually the rest of the employees (marketing, PR, etc)

No preparation. He said in the Clippers series that he didn't need to prepare extra hours, when Doc Rivers was up all night devising schemes
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#10 » by MrFortune3 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:00 am

Mark Jackson is not a head coach in the NBA because he bit the hand that fed him. No one gives two **** about him preaching so long as he wins and maintains harmony.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#11 » by dice » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:48 am

Shaka_Zulu wrote:Cheated on his wife with a stripper, then getting blackmailed by the prostitute + some other guy, while at the same time being a born-again pastor

are you equating stripping w/ prostitution, or was she both?
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,429

Post#12 » by ImSlower » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:26 am

I actually hope he returns as a head coach to the NBA, for a team I dislike. I don't enjoy his commentary whatsoever, and the last time I hear his voice on a broadcast, the better. This has little to do with his religious convictions, and much more to do with the fact that I think he is a dreadfully bad commentator, and disagree with his opinions more than any NBA-related talking head I think I've ever seen.
jump
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,408

Post#13 » by jump » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:20 am

Shaka_Zulu wrote:Some few things from his nighmare reign im copying from reddit, just to highlight how lucky you are for not hiring him:

Staged a coup of John Stockton while he was on the Jazz, causing Stockton to retire.

Cheated on his wife with a stripper, then getting blackmailed by the prostitute + some other guy, while at the same time being a born-again pastor

Bristled at Mike Malone being the assistant coach under him (ownership wanted him to be the Associate Head Coach, like Gentry was with Kerr, but when Jackson found out he said NO WAY

Didn't let assistant coaches do interviews with press because he thought they were gunning for his job

Instilled a "us vs them" where the "them" was the entire front office. He would tell the players that the front office didn't want them to win so that Mark Jackson would look bad. C'mon that's lunacy

Barred Jerry West and Jim Barnett (the beloved TV color guy) along with everyone else from practices so they couldn't hear the crazy **** he said to the team

Told the team Ezeli was rooting for them to lose so that Ezeli would look better (he was injured). This culminated in Ezeli in tears saying that there was no way he would do this, when confronted by the team

Told the team that Harrison Barnes was possessed by a demon, which is why he regressed

Darren Erman, the assistant responsible for the defense after Mike Malone left, was recording Mark Jackson surreptitiously to try and capture the crazy **** like the Harrison Barnes demon thing and the Ezeli thing, but was caught and fired

Noted homophobe, including the "I'll pray for him" when discussing Jason Collins coming out. This doesn't fly in the bay area when a lot of the team staff is gay and so is the front office, including the COO/President Rick Welts

Didn't want to hire actual good assistants, instead, he hired yes-men like Pete Myers and Lindsay Hunter, who backstabbed Alvin Gentry in Phoenix to get the head job

All the coaching staff were allying themselves with star players instead of the players who actually needed their help/development, so a lot players like Barnes didn't get the development time and help they needed

He put players against each other, telling a star player "hey that bench thinks he's better than you" and then telling the bench guy "hey that star guy thinks you're ****, go take his job"

Didn't get along with anyone in the front office, including Jerry West, Bob Myers, and actually the rest of the employees (marketing, PR, etc)

No preparation. He said in the Clippers series that he didn't need to prepare extra hours, when Doc Rivers was up all night devising schemes

Thanks for the great summary. I'd heard about half of this already. Thanks for getting it all down for us to see. The only thing ridiculous is that he was ever a coach to begin with. He's a lousy analyst too.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#14 » by Andi Obst » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:30 am

I don't know how anyone can listen to Mark Jackson on ESPN and think: "I really want that guy to coach my team."

Add all the reasons given in this thread and there's really nothing ridiculous about it. He's just not good.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#15 » by AKfanatic » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:03 am

The annual Mark Jackson thread... yay?

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2018/4/13/17231170/why-the-knicks-should-not-hire-mark-jackson

Plenty of reasons here why Mark Jackson should not be a coach.

Here’s a small sample of the awesome Mark Jackson... follow the links within the link for more
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,191

Post#16 » by HomoSapien » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:05 am

This is such a weird thread. The title suggests that we all want him but are being denied him. Most people don't want him because he's a zealot, a hypocrite, a homophobe, and has poor morals. It's a damn shame too, because he was such an incredibly smart basketball player that he was easy to root for. Despite the above comment, I also really like him as a commentator.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#17 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:07 am

Haha, why would we hire him? We dont want him.. Stupid thread title
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#18 » by Proven_Winner » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:07 am

jump wrote:
Shaka_Zulu wrote:Some few things from his nighmare reign im copying from reddit, just to highlight how lucky you are for not hiring him:

Thanks for the great summary. I'd heard about half of this already. Thanks for getting it all down for us to see. The only thing ridiculous is that he was ever a coach to begin with. He's a lousy analyst too.

Funny thing is this doesn’t cover some of the ridiculous stuff he’s said as a analyst. I could’ve sworn it was him out of nowhere bringing up how he’d smash LeBron mom or curry wife.

Found it.

coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,303

Post#19 » by coldfish » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:32 pm

Mark Jackson love is weird. I can't believe it still exists. He was really, really bad at it and was a complete dirtbag to boot.
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer

Post#20 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:02 pm

dice wrote:
Shaka_Zulu wrote:Cheated on his wife with a stripper, then getting blackmailed by the prostitute + some other guy, while at the same time being a born-again pastor

are you equating stripping w/ prostitution, or was she both?
Apparently was both according to reddit

Return to Chicago Bulls