Image ImageImage Image

One more reason Mark Jackson Will probably not be our coach

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,426

Re: The ridiculous reason why Mark Jackson Will probably not be our coach 

Post#21 » by ImSlower » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:19 pm

HomoSapien wrote:This is such a weird thread. The title suggests that we all want him but are being denied him. Most people don't want him because he's a zealot, a hypocrite, a homophobe, and has poor morals. It's a damn shame too, because he was such an incredibly smart basketball player that he was easy to root for. Despite the above comment, I also really like him as a commentator.

Definitely a weird thread. We all have varied opinions. I honestly did not think anyone liked him as a commentator. No worries. I do enjoy the schadenfreude of hearing Jeff Van Gundy' audible derision of Jackson a few times a game.
Trm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 772

Post#22 » by Trm3 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:14 pm

I'm not a fan of Jim Boylen but Mark Jackson would be a downgrade from him.

Mark Jackson was not a good NBA player. He's not a good commentator and he'd definitely not be a good coach..again.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,233

Post#23 » by kodo » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:37 pm

I don't know why his name keeps coming over the dozens of other coaching candidates, many with better accomplishments.

Stan Van Gundy reached the Finals with one of the weakest casts I've ever seen (Dwight, Hedo, Rashard Lewis) and his name never comes up as a coach.

Jackson's face being in the media all the time is the only reason he keeps getting consideration when nothing else about him warrants it. If we're going to give a color commentator a job because of smart they things they say on TV, Doris Burke deserves a job well ahead of Jackson. Either way it's not a reason to hire someone as a coach.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#24 » by transplant » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:47 pm

Wonderful thread. Started by a poster who loves him and followed by a series of posters who **** all over him. God, I love this board.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,134

Post#25 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:53 pm

GimmeDat wrote:However ridiculous the reason may be, if it means Mark Jackson will not be our coach, I'll take it.

But yeah, Mark's pretty over the top with that stuff. It's been pretty widely publicized.

Hard to call “he’s a bigot” a ridiculous reason. Really it’s the biggest reason I wouldn’t want him as a coach. You’re supposed to coach basketball, not propagandize players with your backward beliefs. That’s why you got a church in reseda for some reason, Mark.
beeshma
Starter
And1: 1,782

Post#26 » by beeshma » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:54 pm

coldfish wrote:Mark Jackson love is weird. I can't believe it still exists. He was really, really bad at it and was a complete dirtbag to boot.

Some of my black friends have put forth the idea that Jackson developed the Warriors to a championship level, and then a white man (Kerr) was brought in to get the credit.

I think this is ridiculous, but I think that belief underlies Jackson's support.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#27 » by GimmeDat » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:27 am

SalmonsSuperfan wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:However ridiculous the reason may be, if it means Mark Jackson will not be our coach, I'll take it.

But yeah, Mark's pretty over the top with that stuff. It's been pretty widely publicized.

Hard to call “he’s a bigot” a ridiculous reason. Really it’s the biggest reason I wouldn’t want him as a coach. You’re supposed to coach basketball, not propagandize players with your backward beliefs. That’s why you got a church in reseda for some reason, Mark.

Sorry, I didn't articulate myself very well. I didn't mean to say that the reason stated was ridiculous. I meant to say that I'll take any reason, no matter how ridiculous, as an excuse to not have him as coach. This particular reason isn't ridiculous at all. He's a zealot.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,520

Post#28 » by dice » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:19 am

beeshma wrote:
coldfish wrote:Mark Jackson love is weird. I can't believe it still exists. He was really, really bad at it and was a complete dirtbag to boot.

Some of my black friends have put forth the idea that Jackson developed the Warriors to a championship level, and then a white man (Kerr) was brought in to get the credit.

I think this is ridiculous, but I think that belief underlies Jackson's support.

i'm guessing they don't also think that tyrone lue was brought in to steal the credit from david blatt
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#29 » by dice » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:32 am

Trm3 wrote:I'm not a fan of Jim Boylen but Mark Jackson would be a downgrade from him.

Mark Jackson was not a good NBA player. He's not a good commentator and he'd definitely not be a good coach..again.

mark jackson was most certainly a good nba player. for 15 seasons. 4th in career assists, very low turnovers to go with it. run the offense smartly, play solid D, hit the occasional open shot a respectable rate...traditional point guard stuff
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#30 » by dice » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:37 am

ImSlower wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:This is such a weird thread. The title suggests that we all want him but are being denied him. Most people don't want him because he's a zealot, a hypocrite, a homophobe, and has poor morals. It's a damn shame too, because he was such an incredibly smart basketball player that he was easy to root for. Despite the above comment, I also really like him as a commentator.

Definitely a weird thread. We all have varied opinions. I honestly did not think anyone liked him as a commentator. No worries. I do enjoy the schadenfreude of hearing Jeff Van Gundy' audible derision of Jackson a few times a game.

pretty much any bickering duo is better than a bland one. i'll take bill walton and steve jones over van gundy/jackson, but that's just because walton and anybody is a worthwhile pairing
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,630

Post#31 » by Dez » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:46 am

Really curious for TCs response.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,372

Post#32 » by jnrjr79 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:25 am

It'd be hard to give a thread title less bearing to the thread itself.

Mark Jackson sucks for a hundred reasons, but it's such bizarre framing to suggest he'd be in the running for "our" head coaching position but for his bigotry, and then also bizarre to suggest bigotry is a "ridiculous" reason that someone wouldn't get hired. He'd be a terrible option irrespective of the fact that he seems to be a garbage person.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Post#33 » by WindyCityBorn » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:38 am

I don't want him as our coach so whatever makes sure he doesn't get the job is great.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,484

Post#34 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:08 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:It'd be hard to give a thread title less bearing to the thread itself.

Mark Jackson sucks for a hundred reasons, but it's such bizarre framing to suggest he'd be in the running for "our" head coaching position but for his bigotry, and then also bizarre to suggest bigotry is a "ridiculous" reason that someone wouldn't get hired. He'd be a terrible option irrespective of the fact that he seems to be a garbage person.

Well said.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#35 » by JimmyJammer » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:26 pm

It's funny that many on here try to discredit Mark Jackson as a player and coach when in fact he led the league in assists for a couple of years and was known to be a great and intelligent floor general. Additionally, I have heard in many instances both Klay and Curry attribute some of the success of the Warriors to the fundamental work that he put in. He taught them how to play defense the right way when they were known to be liabilities when they came into the league. He built the team from the ground up, won 51 games and lost to a tough Clippers team in the playoffs in 7 games in his last season as coach. The team was obviously trending up and ready to peak, which is what they did under Kerr. If you read the interview with Igouadala in the link above, you can feel a sense of respect and admiration in the things that he had to say about Jackson. Look, I don't know the degree of the toxicity of his relationship with the organization, but I think it sucks if he has been blackballed because of his deep religious beliefs, as might have been suggested by Igouadala in the article. I am sure he can't be any worse than Jimbo, so yes, I'd be fine with him as a coach, providing he can coexist with management.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#36 » by musiqsoulchild » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:39 pm

dice wrote:it seems far-fetched to me that religious beliefs are the only reason. it's not like he was public with any of that stuff. he wasn't damaging the franchise brand any more than he's damaging that of his current employer (disney)

while coaching the warriors a stripper that he had had an affair with years earlier attempted to extort him...so he didn't exactly have firm footing when it came to making morality judgments...particularly given that, you know, being gay is not a choice whereas having an affair is. so that may have been particularly grating

Welcome to misunderstood and ill-practiced religious zealots.

Pointing out the fault in everyone else without self-examination ever since a snake tried to feed a hungry, homeless naked woman a refreshing apple
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Post#37 » by dougthonus » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:46 pm

JimmyJammer wrote:I think it sucks if he has been blackballed because of his deep religious beliefs, as might have been suggested by Igouadala in the article.

No one cares that Mark Jackson is christian. People might care about his actions which are discriminatory and create a hostile work environment for people that don't share his beliefs.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#38 » by JimmyJammer » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:27 am

dougthonus wrote:
JimmyJammer wrote:I think it sucks if he has been blackballed because of his deep religious beliefs, as might have been suggested by Igouadala in the article.

No one cares that Mark Jackson is christian. People might care about his actions which are discriminatory and create a hostile work environment for people that don't share his beliefs.

Very interesting, can you shed some lights on what the discriminatory actions are? Unless you know something that many on here don't, this falls in the category of speculation. The man is damn good coach and is very knowledgeable about the game, whose record far surpasses most of our recent coaches, so crossing him off the list of any pool of applicants is short-sighted. His coaching record outclasses those of Joergen and Kenny Atkinson, who have been very popular on here.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Post#39 » by dougthonus » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:46 am

JimmyJammer wrote:Very interesting, can you shed some lights on what the discriminatory actions are? Unless you know something that many on here don't, this falls in the category of speculation. The man is damn good coach and is very knowledgeable about the game, whose record far surpasses most of our recent coaches, so crossing him off the list of any pool of applicants is short-sighted. His coaching record outclasses those of Joergen and Kenny Atkinson, who have been very popular on here.

From the article you brought up:

"The head of our business Rick Welts ... he's celebrated as one of the top execs in sports, on the business side, and he's gay, so there was conflicts with that that was widespread ..."

Just do some research on Mark Jackson and there are a lot of allegations of completely crazy behavior. I believe there are articles out there saying he was fervently anti-gay.

Are you really comparing Mark Jackson's coaching record with the Warriors, whom immediately won the title and became a dynasty after he left with that of guys coaching the Kings/Grizzlies, and Nets? Maybe Mark Jackson is great, but I would not straight up talk about wins and losses.

I mean Vinny Del Negro has a .533 coaching record, must be amazing.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,630

Post#40 » by Dez » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:07 am

JimmyJammer wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Very interesting, can you shed some lights on what the discriminatory actions are? Unless you know something that many on here don't, this falls in the category of speculation. The man is damn good coach and is very knowledgeable about the game, whose record far surpasses most of our recent coaches, so crossing him off the list of any pool of applicants is short-sighted. His coaching record outclasses those of Joergen and Kenny Atkinson, who have been very popular on here.

He's not a damn good coach at all.

Also did you not read the last page with all the crazy s*** he did?

Return to Chicago Bulls