Image ImageImage Image

Boylen Relieves Shawn Respert Of Player Development Duties?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,196

Boylen Relieves Shawn Respert Of Player Development Duties? 

Post#1 » by HomoSapien » Fri May 15, 2020 4:56 am

“I want to grow,” Respert said. “The Bulls gave me an opportunity, and I feel I outgrew it. I hope I left the organization in a better place. That’s all I tried to do.”

Players spanning from Zach LaVine to Denzel Valentine would agree. Respert, who has designs to be a head coach one day, furthered his reputation as a stoic but substantive sounding board for players during his three seasons with the Bulls.

In a sign that executive vice president Arturas Karnisovas is leaving coaching staff decisions to Jim Boylen for now, this was Boylen’s call. Boylen, who coached Respert at Michigan State, appreciated Respert’s commitment to player development but has five assistant coaches on staff.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/author/kc-johnson

The article is a little vague. At first, it sounds like Respert is leaving on his volition. Then KC states that Boylen made the decision. You have to assume this is related to AK and Eversley talking about Lauri's lack of development and how we only had one Player Development Coach. Still, it seems like Boylen will be around for the conclusion of this season if he's allowed to make moves like this.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
TeamMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 554

Re: Boylen Relieves Shawn Respert Of Player Development Duties? 

Post#2 » by TeamMan » Fri May 15, 2020 9:27 am

HomoSapien wrote:
“I want to grow,” Respert said. “The Bulls gave me an opportunity, and I feel I outgrew it. I hope I left the organization in a better place. That’s all I tried to do.”

Players spanning from Zach LaVine to Denzel Valentine would agree. Respert, who has designs to be a head coach one day, furthered his reputation as a stoic but substantive sounding board for players during his three seasons with the Bulls.

In a sign that executive vice president Arturas Karnisovas is leaving coaching staff decisions to Jim Boylen for now, this was Boylen’s call. Boylen, who coached Respert at Michigan State, appreciated Respert’s commitment to player development but has five assistant coaches on staff.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/author/kc-johnson

The article is a little vague. At first, it sounds like Respert is leaving on his volition. Then KC states that Boylen made the decision. You have to assume this is related to AK and Eversley talking about Lauri's lack of development and how we only had one Player Development Coach. Still, it seems like Boylen will be around for the conclusion of this season if he's allowed to make moves like this.

Rat deserting a sinking ship.

In my experience, the 1st to leave are the ones that have the best chance of surviving afterward.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,756

Post#3 » by Jeffster81 » Fri May 15, 2020 10:37 am

If it was Boylen's decision then it is a pathetic way to try and save one's job. I think Boylen knows he's out and he is throwing crap against the wall and seeing what sticks.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,154

Post#4 » by League Circles » Fri May 15, 2020 11:41 am

This is weird, hard to know what to make of it, especially because it says respert has a strong relationship with AK.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,743

Post#5 » by dougthonus » Fri May 15, 2020 12:01 pm

A few things that are interesting about this.

The Bulls didn't relieve him of his duties or fire him. They are parting ways at the conclusion of this season. Effectively, they aren't renewing his contract.

From Respert's quotes, it sounds like this decision was mutual. It sounds like he wanted a larger role on the staff than he was going to get and wanted to move on to somewhere that opportunity was better.

The fact that Boylen would be allowed to make any decision that impacts the team in 20-21 is bad news, but it's not clear exactly what this decision was based on the quotes.

The whole thing doesn't line up really well.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#6 » by Jiipee84 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:26 pm

What a hell is Jimbo trying to save his job or what he's doing.
This is getting pathetic if AK really has leaved coaching staff decisions to Jimbo for now
hopefully that won't mean Jimbo remains head coach another season.

If Jimbo has any role in Bulls coaching staff next season i'll seriously consider turning to Mavericks or Lakers fan.
Jimbo better be out when season 2020-2021 starts autumn 2020.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,694

Post#7 » by nitetrain8603 » Fri May 15, 2020 2:34 pm

From Respert's perspective, it makes sense as he knows Jim will eventually be canned (this offseason or next) and there's no way for him to move up with the coaching staff in lameduck status. So it makes sense for him to just leave now and find another spot somewhere else and grow a relationship with either a new coaching staff who will want to include him in on more things and help further his career.

For Jim, it might just be him doing Respert a solid and saying "hey, i don't want to keep you in limbo and the signs don't look positive, why don't you see what's available for you now."

Return to Chicago Bulls