Image ImageImage Image

OT: With all the recent rains in the Chicago Burbs did anyone flood last night?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,361

Re: OT: With all the recent rains in the Chicago Burbs did anyone flood last night? 

Post#21 » by Michael Jackson » Tue May 19, 2020 4:13 pm

dougthonus wrote:
drosestruts wrote:On the other hand, if anyone needs a good workout, continually filling, lifting and dumping a 14-gallon shop vac is quite exhausting.

I had a little flooding in my basement from my draft party last year, turns out that the ejector pump they put in the house when building out the basement bathroom was just too narrow and was clogged and it wasn't a traditional flooding issue. At any rate, I got a shop vac, and was sucking up the excess water, walking it up the stairs and dumping it, and I did like four trips and was wiped out.

When you stay too narrow, what do you mean. The discharge was too small? Ejector pumps are 2" standard, did they have an 1-1/2" pump in there?
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,735

Re: OT: With all the recent rains in the Chicago Burbs did anyone flood last night? 

Post#22 » by dougthonus » Tue May 19, 2020 4:26 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:When you stay too narrow, what do you mean. The discharge was too small? Ejector pumps are 2" standard, did they have an 1-1/2" pump in there?

Yep, that's exactly what it was.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#23 » by Michael Jackson » Tue May 19, 2020 5:48 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:When you stay too narrow, what do you mean. The discharge was too small? Ejector pumps are 2" standard, did they have an 1-1/2" pump in there?

Yep, that's exactly what it was.

Yeah they put a sump pump in where the ejector was. That is illegal by code.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#24 » by dougthonus » Tue May 19, 2020 6:22 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:Yeah they put a sump pump in where the ejector was. That is illegal by code.

Think the guy who owned the house did the work himself, there was a bunch of stuff that looks below code.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#25 » by Michael Jackson » Tue May 19, 2020 7:36 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:Yeah they put a sump pump in where the ejector was. That is illegal by code.

Think the guy who owned the house did the work himself, there was a bunch of stuff that looks below code.

That makes more sense to me. I can't think of any plumber that would try that I know some bad contractors! Yeah I can imagine that tax on that system was not going to handle a party. What do you have in there now? Also do you have an alarm for it? Sewage is the worst!
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#26 » by transplant » Tue May 19, 2020 8:32 pm

Sunday night, I heard my basement toilet burbling. I know from past experience that this is a bad sign. I got some very minor seepage in the bathroom. I peed in my backyard. The rain stopped. I survived.

A couple years ago, I wasn't so lucky and suffered thousands of dollars in damage. Dodged a bullet this time, but I'm using as little water as possible until these f'in rains give us an extended break.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
HINrichPolice
General Manager
And1: 1,706

Post#27 » by HINrichPolice » Tue May 19, 2020 8:40 pm

dougthonus wrote:
drosestruts wrote:On the other hand, if anyone needs a good workout, continually filling, lifting and dumping a 14-gallon shop vac is quite exhausting.

I had a little flooding in my basement from my draft party last year, turns out that the ejector pump they put in the house when building out the basement bathroom was just too narrow and was clogged and it wasn't a traditional flooding issue. At any rate, I got a shop vac, and was sucking up the excess water, walking it up the stairs and dumping it, and I did like four trips and was wiped out.

Uh oh... who was the culprit... And if it was me, sorry about that, Doug.

Pizza was too good.
CONTENDERS FIND A WAY
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#28 » by dougthonus » Tue May 19, 2020 9:49 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

That makes more sense to me. I can't think of any plumber that would try that I know some bad contractors! Yeah I can imagine that tax on that system was not going to handle a party. What do you have in there now? Also do you have an alarm for it? Sewage is the worst!

No alarm, but not sure what it was upgraded to, the guy just said this is the standard and put it in. I remember the old was a 1.5 inch, but thought it was 2.5 inch now.
@doug_thonus on twitter
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,160

Post#29 » by SHO'NUFF » Wed May 20, 2020 11:40 am

#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#30 » by 2018C3 » Wed May 20, 2020 12:22 pm

SHO'NUFF wrote:

Wow! That looks terrible.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#31 » by ATRAIN53 » Wed May 20, 2020 2:57 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
ATRAIN53 wrote:Nice some This Old House talk!

I bought my current house back in 2006. The night before we were supposed to see it we had the worst rain storm I've ever seen. Relator called me in the AM and asked if i wanted to reschedule since some roads in area were cloed.

I was all about going to see it and if it was floodded or had any standing water.

It was bone dry. I could see neighbors pumping water out of basement down the block, but this house was dry. Some water in the yard where it was pitched to run into the sewer. You could tell someone though this out and graded the yard properly and ran the sump line all the way to the corner of yard.

I didn't care how many bedrooms or what the kitchen looked like after that. I knew the house was solid and could handle serious rain.

14 years later I've yet to flood.

I've spent years improving the grading, moving water way from house when it rains. I installed my own battery back up system and constantly get asked by neighbors to help with their house and floodding since they all know I'm a fanatic about it.

Michael Jackson wrote:This is my business. I have worked in this industry for 25 years. Last night was pretty huge. The worst in the last decade. Lots of factors but if anyone needs any advice PM me.

I've got one spot by a window well where the concrete must have a crack and I see like maybe a bucket full of water seep in after this type of storm. I have a concrete floor so I don't panic about it -

I do want to have one of those companies come in and drill a hole and do that polyurethane injection thing to seal it-
Can I do that muyself or should I hire someone. I do have a nice hammer drill.....

You can try it yourself I am sure. Never done it but one of the companies I did a lot with is Emecole, in fact the company I was with bought them after I left. They have some good products and I don't think it is difficult to do if you like to do this stuff which it seems you do. I am of the mind I try it myself and if it doesn't work I am prepared to get a pro to come in and handle it. Youtube is wonderful and if you do the research you usually are just fine.

Thanks, I just found a Emecole DIY kit I may try out. It's one spot and probably a prefect DIY job. You Tube is the best for training. Instructor never get angry if you rewind 50 times or ask stupid questions. The stuff I have learned on there......

Everyone should have one of the $50 utility pumps just in case of water-
https://www.amazon.com/Superior-Pump-91250-Submersible-Thermoplastic/dp/B000X05G1A/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=protec+utility+pump&qid=1589985934&s=hi&sr=1-2

Much easier than the old shop vac method.

That DesPlains footage is insane. We were just at the Popeyes right before everything got shut down. My buddy owns a house along the banks and he's totally f'd. He thought they had been spending millions to deal with this stuff. I've told him a few times there is nowhere for the water to go you live in a flood plain bro. He thinks it's connected to the deep tunnel project somewhere and they are gonna open some drain and the water will go away...

Return to Chicago Bulls