Image ImageImage Image

Lauri Markkanen: "I want to stay in Chicago and sign an extension"

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,176

Re: Lauri Markkanen: "I want to stay in Chicago and sign an extension" 

Post#61 » by _txchilibowl_ » Wed May 27, 2020 8:01 pm

Maybe I'm the old man in the room...but when did being 23 years old mean that you're a finished product?

Lauri has to improve. We know that. But to suggest that he's done growing as a player (or maybe more importantly...as a man) is short-sighted in my opinion. Think of everything that he's gone through over the last couple of years: adapting to living on your own, culture shock, getting married, having a child, playing for an organization run by a bunch of bozo's...

Now imagine doing all of that in your early 20's...

You can say "Lots of players deal with this. No more excuses." and you wouldn't be incorrect. But there's a human element to this in that not everyone reacts the same way to those kind of circumstances. Maybe Lauri is still working his way through all of this.

Bottom line: I've heard enough good things about him as a person and his work ethic to see this through.
gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#62 » by gobullschi » Wed May 27, 2020 8:31 pm

_txchilibowl_ wrote:Maybe I'm the old man in the room...but when did being 23 years old mean that you're a finished product?

Lauri has to improve. We know that. But to suggest that he's done growing as a player (or maybe more importantly...as a man) is short-sighted in my opinion. Think of everything that he's gone through over the last couple of years: adapting to living on your own, culture shock, getting married, having a child, playing for an organization run by a bunch of bozo's...

You can say "Lots of players deal with this. No more excuses." and you wouldn't be incorrect. But there's a human element to this in that not everyone reacts the same way to those kind of circumstances. Maybe Lauri is still working his way through all of this.

Bottom line: I've heard enough good things about him as a person and his work ethic to see this through.

It isn’t about whether or not he is done growing as a basketball player. It’s about committing 15 million dollars to a player who has shown little improvement during 3 seasons in today’s NBA. Time is running out for him.
_txchilibowl_
Starter

Post#63 » by _txchilibowl_ » Wed May 27, 2020 8:58 pm

gobullschi wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:Maybe I'm the old man in the room...but when did being 23 years old mean that you're a finished product?

It isn’t about whether or not he is done growing as a basketball player. It’s about committing 15 million dollars to a player who has shown little improvement during 3 seasons in today’s NBA. Time is running out for him.

4/60 doesn't bother me. He'd immediately be better than the vast majority of players making that with the added bonus of some untapped potential.

Besides, let's be realistic. No free agent of any significance is coming here in the next season or two. By the time we're ready to be attractive his contract would be at or near its end.
Louri
Senior
And1: 351

Post#64 » by Louri » Wed May 27, 2020 9:01 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:When asked about his lack of involvement in the offense this season, Markkanen told Seppänen “I had 80 touches per game the past two seasons, this season the touches dropped to 40. Don’t get me wrong, I had some plays drawn with me in mind, but it’s just different. When I spoke with Jim [Boylen], we talked about how I should concentrate on getting rebounds and then leading the fast break. But it’s just really hard getting 40 defensive rebounds.”

lmao

This quote is real Lauri. He is more open in finnish interviews. No typical agent or organization friendly Bulls(****). Everyone can see from mile that he was not happy with how he was used in offense. He is not happy about Boylen. You just hardly hear it from players mouth. I bet Wendell has same situation. He wants to be more involved in offense and learn on the run but.. Bulls has not been place for young, big players to get better.
"Larry Nance Jr is better than Lauri Markkanen" -RealGM 2021
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#65 » by drosereturn » Wed May 27, 2020 9:16 pm

gobullschi wrote:

So your literally saying hes worth MLE which is crazy considering the top GMs value more than 15 per. I am 100 percent sure he will get better than 4/60 in an open market which is why I am worried he threatens not to sign and becomes UFA.
Lowballing him after he showed good intentions is how you ruin player relations/business.

The only way hes not worth is it when you have a big 3 and the Bulls have 0. Getting rid of Lauri does not solve the problem.
At least pay the guy and trade him for assets.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
Swuul
Junior
And1: 276

Post#66 » by Swuul » Wed May 27, 2020 9:42 pm

WCJ and Lauri can no longer be in same team. AK knows and understands this, so either will be gone before next season. It will be a question of whoever of these two brings back more.
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count, and those who can't.
gobullschi
Veteran

Post#67 » by gobullschi » Wed May 27, 2020 10:42 pm

Showtime23 wrote:
gobullschi wrote:

So your literally saying hes worth MLE which is crazy considering the top GMs value more than 15 per. I am 100 percent sure he will get better than 4/60 in an open market which is why I am worried he threatens not to sign and becomes UFA.
Lowballing him after he showed good intentions is how you ruin player relations/business.

The only way hes not worth is it when you have a big 3 and the Bulls have 0. Getting rid of Lauri does not solve the problem.

I am not saying Lauri Markkanen will not demand a 4/60-million-dollar contract. That type of contract makes sense for a team that is in the beginning of their rebuild, but it isn’t a contract offer the Bulls should make right now, nor do they have to. His contract doesn’t expire and there is no need for Chicago to commit that type of money yet. Hence, this should have no impact on player relations.

I am saying Lauri Markkanen has yet to show he can be a ‘Star’ in the NBA’s ‘3 Star System’ and the Bulls cannot afford your use their cap space on a Ryan Anderson type of talent. That simply isn’t a good enough player for the dollar.

As I stated I’m my previous post (maybe you missed it), the Bulls don’t want to get caught in the situation where he either eats into their cap space, not allowing you to have a ‘big three’, or losing him for nothing.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,148

Post#68 » by League Circles » Wed May 27, 2020 11:18 pm

Showtime23 wrote:
gobullschi wrote:

I'm a bigger Lauri fan than most, but unless he improves substantially (which he might but it's far from a given), ANY multi year contract is a mistake for a bad team. That's how you MAKE SURE you can never have a big 3.

Lowballing? Why exactly does he deserve a substantial contract? He's basically performed like an average player in his career. Bad teams sign those guys to multi year deals that cut substantially into their cap space. Good teams sign them AFTER they have their core secured, for the MLE, room MLE, MMLE or draft them with late first round picks.

You're "100% sure" he'll command that money on the open market???? Umm, the open market may be contracting substantially due to the worldwide economic crisis developing, and if he suffers a serious injury and/or has an even worse year, he'll be lucky to get a 3 year MMLE deal frankly.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
_txchilibowl_
Starter

Post#69 » by _txchilibowl_ » Wed May 27, 2020 11:23 pm

League Circles wrote:
Showtime23 wrote:
gobullschi wrote:

I'm a bigger Lauri fan than most, but unless he improves substantially (which he might but it's far from a given), ANY multi year contract is a mistake for a bad team. That's how you MAKE SURE you can never have a big 3.

Lowballing? Why exactly does he deserve a substantial contract? He's basically performed like an average player in his career. Bad teams sign those guys to multi year deals that cut substantially into their cap space. Good teams sign them AFTER they have their core secured, for the MLE, room MLE, MMLE or draft them with late first round picks.

You're "100% sure" he'll command that money on the open market???? Umm, the open market may be contracting substantially due to the worldwide economic crisis developing, and if he suffers a serious injury and/or has an even worse year, he'll be lucky to get a 3 year MMLE deal frankly.

Conversely, if he breaks out you can kiss any chance of a bargain goodbye....
step
Lead Assistant
And1: 461

Post#70 » by step » Wed May 27, 2020 11:35 pm

Showtime23 wrote:
gobullschi wrote:

The MLE is going to change drastically next season, especially if you believe the reports where some are predicting the cap could drop over 20M next season alone.

And yeah if you're Lauri, given all this uncertainty, do you lock in a 'reasonable' contract now and be happy with that? Or look to bet on yourself but with extenuating circumstances that increase the chance of it backfiring?

4/60 would not be outlandish pre-covid days... I just would be more cautious until more is known about the cap impact. What a fine time to be a GM.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,633

Post#71 » by Dez » Wed May 27, 2020 11:46 pm

_txchilibowl_ wrote:
League Circles wrote:
Showtime23 wrote:

At least then you know you're paying for good production.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,148

Post#72 » by League Circles » Thu May 28, 2020 1:17 am

_txchilibowl_ wrote:
League Circles wrote:
Showtime23 wrote:

I disagree. If he truly breaks out, he'll be worth more than the max, but will be limited by the max, 25% of cap IIRC.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
_txchilibowl_
Starter

Post#73 » by _txchilibowl_ » Thu May 28, 2020 1:23 am

League Circles wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:
League Circles wrote:I'm a bigger Lauri fan than most, but unless he improves substantially (which he might but it's far from a given), ANY multi year contract is a mistake for a bad team. That's how you MAKE SURE you can never have a big 3.

I disagree. If he truly breaks out, he'll be worth more than the max, but will be limited by the max, 25% of cap IIRC.

He can break out and not be a max player, no? I don't think it's that black and white....there's room for an improved Lauri who becomes a value at 15mil per year.
gobullschi
Veteran

Post#74 » by gobullschi » Thu May 28, 2020 1:32 am

_txchilibowl_ wrote:
League Circles wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:

He can break out and not be a max player, no? I don't think it's that black and white....there's room for an improved Lauri who becomes a value at 15mil per year.

What does breaking out and not being a max player look like?
_txchilibowl_
Starter

Post#75 » by _txchilibowl_ » Thu May 28, 2020 1:39 am

gobullschi wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:
League Circles wrote:I disagree. If he truly breaks out, he'll be worth more than the max, but will be limited by the max, 25% of cap IIRC.

What does breaking out and not being a max player look like?

Apparently 8 rebs a game....
_txchilibowl_
Starter

Post#76 » by _txchilibowl_ » Thu May 28, 2020 1:45 am

I'll answer the question honestly...

An improved Lauri, who is not a max player, would look something like 16-18 pts/6-7 rebs/ high efficiency on good volume with a renewed commitment to better defense. It would also include him staying healthy...
gobullschi
Veteran

Post#77 » by gobullschi » Thu May 28, 2020 1:54 am

_txchilibowl_ wrote:I'll answer the question honestly...

An improved Lauri, who is not a max player, would look something like 16-18 pts/6-7 rebs/ high efficiency on good volume with a renewed commitment to better defense. It would also include him staying healthy...

Then he has increased his trade value enough to be combined with other assets for an all star. :D
_txchilibowl_
Starter

Post#78 » by _txchilibowl_ » Thu May 28, 2020 2:03 am

gobullschi wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:I'll answer the question honestly...

Then he has increased his trade value enough to be combined with other assets for an all star. :D

That's works for me too....
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#79 » by MrFortune3 » Thu May 28, 2020 5:12 am

Swuul wrote:WCJ and Lauri can no longer be in same team. AK knows and understands this, so either will be gone before next season. It will be a question of whoever of these two brings back more.

I think they can co-exist but it will depend upon the coaching staff and developmental plan.
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Post#80 » by bullsnewdynasty » Thu May 28, 2020 7:20 am

So it’s Boylen’s fault that Lauri can’t shoot and is always hurt for half the year? Huh???

Return to Chicago Bulls