Image ImageImage Image

Just Sad, "Chicago sees deadliest Memorial Day weekend in four years"

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

RastaBull
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,599

Re: Just Sad, "Chicago sees deadliest Memorial Day weekend in four years" 

Post#1001 » by RastaBull » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:47 pm

2018C3 wrote:Ahmaud Arbery, Shooters were wrong in instigating the situation. The George Floyd situation has no excuse.

Rayshard Brooks is a different case, and can not be lumped in to the others. I could care less what color he is, the guy determined his own fate with his own actions.

I too felt that in my gut at one point. But why? Why is the use of deadly force appropriate here?

You say there is no excuse with George Floyd. And your next sentence says Rayshard Brooks is different. Syntactically (and I don't want to assume so I am genuinely asking you to correct me if I am wrong), you are stating that the use of deadly force on Rayshard Brooks is excusable.

When deadly force was used on Rayshard Brooks was he a threat in any way? He had no weapons on him and he was running away.
- The taser had been discharged
- All the officers know how a taser gun works and that he could not fire it again
- They know he had no other instruments on his body from a thorough search

At the moment the officer decided to fire his gun, what he fired at was an unarmed black man running away. That much is a fact.

The officer did so KNOWINGLY. That much is clear and convincing from the evidence as well. And if the officer was so daft to not remember how a taser gun works (and think it was still fireable a second time?), or so dumb to not remember the 40 minute search of Mr. Brooks (with no weapons) ... then the only thing that could make this excusable is hisIGNORANCE.

An officer's utter and complete ignorance is still no excuse for murdering an unarmed black man.
Doctor Drain wrote:Can a butterfly sing?
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,537

Post#1002 » by dice » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:23 pm

false claims of antifa presence at BLM rally leads to full bloom display of american racism in ohio:

Read on Twitter

oh, the irony of people displaying confederate flags chanting "USA"
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#1003 » by dice » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:31 pm

the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#1004 » by musiqsoulchild » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:55 pm

Dresden wrote:Ive read, and I don't know if this is true or not- it's hard to find this info on the internet, that Brooks has had multiple incidences in the past of resisting arrest, as well as a charge of felony child abuse. I wonder if the officers had looked up his record before they proceeded the way they did with him, and if that had any impact on how he was treated.

Then why wait 42 minutes?
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#1005 » by musiqsoulchild » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:58 pm

2018C3 wrote:musiqsoulchild, You don't think being in a actual fight that could possibly result in life or death alters your cognitive abilities as well? That is just silly.

The rules of engagement are very clear.

Somehow for cops they are not.

Our own army, private contractors like Blackwater...all have clear rules of engaegement.

Why cops dont is beyond me.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,870

Post#1006 » by Dresden » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:08 pm

musiqsoulchild wrote:
2018C3 wrote:musiqsoulchild, You don't think being in a actual fight that could possibly result in life or death alters your cognitive abilities as well? That is just silly.

The rules of engagement are very clear.

Somehow for cops they are not.

Our own army, private contractors like Blackwater...all have clear rules of engaegement.

Why cops dont is beyond me.

They do. There are certain conditions that have to be met before lethal force is allowed- officers lives in danger, citizen's lives in danger, suspect has a deadly weapon that they look like they are going to use. Something along those lines. Doesn't seem like any of those apply in this situation.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1007 » by Dresden » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:11 pm

musiqsoulchild wrote:
Dresden wrote:Ive read, and I don't know if this is true or not- it's hard to find this info on the internet, that Brooks has had multiple incidences in the past of resisting arrest, as well as a charge of felony child abuse. I wonder if the officers had looked up his record before they proceeded the way they did with him, and if that had any impact on how he was treated.

Then why wait 42 minutes?

I don't know. I don't want to be put in a position of defending what the officers did. I'm just saying if in fact he did have a history of resisting arrest, and felony convictions, maybe that weighed in on the officers judgement of how to treat the guy. As opposed to a teenager with no prior history of anything violent.
dice
RealGM

Post#1008 » by dice » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:28 am

RastaBull wrote:
2018C3 wrote:Ahmaud Arbery, Shooters were wrong in instigating the situation. The George Floyd situation has no excuse.

Rayshard Brooks is a different case, and can not be lumped in to the others. I could care less what color he is, the guy determined his own fate with his own actions.

I too felt that in my gut at one point. But why? Why is the use of deadly force appropriate here?

You say there is no excuse with George Floyd. And your next sentence says Rayshard Brooks is different. Syntactically (and I don't want to assume so I am genuinely asking you to correct me if I am wrong), you are stating that the use of deadly force on Rayshard Brooks is excusable.

When deadly force was used on Rayshard Brooks was he a threat in any way? He had no weapons on him and he was running away.
- All the officers know how a taser gun works and that he could not fire it again

At the moment the officer decided to fire his gun, what he fired at was an unarmed black man running away. That much is a fact.

The officer did so KNOWINGLY. That much is clear and convincing from the evidence as well. And if the officer was so daft to not remember how a taser gun works (and think it was still fireable a second time?), or so dumb to not remember the 40 minute search of Mr. Brooks (with no weapons) ... then the only thing that could make this excusable is hisIGNORANCE.

An officer's utter and complete ignorance is still no excuse for murdering an unarmed black man.

even if the taser could be fired infinite times it still must be done at close range...and he was RUNNING AWAY

this is a pretty clear case of an officer being embarrassed by what has just transpired and using what power he has left (his gun) to end the frustration (which surely immediately shifted to a sense of terror due to the prospect of getting fired/charged with murder)

if the cops knew of the victim's history of resisting arrest, the procedure should have been clear: TELL him that you know his history and have your tasers at the ready to use if he puts up a fight. TELL him that they will be used if he puts up a fight

the other thing i didn't like about what transpired was that the cops put him through an excruciatingly long and repetitive sobriety test, all of which he complied with admirably and did well on, only to fail him based on the breathalyzer results. if he fails the breathalyzer, why the other tests? further evidence for the courts?
Bluewaterheaven
Assistant Coach
And1: 664

Post#1009 » by Bluewaterheaven » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:19 pm

dice wrote:
RastaBull wrote:

even if the taser could be fired infinite times it still must be done at close range...and he was RUNNING AWAY

this is a pretty clear case of an officer being embarrassed by what has just transpired and using what power he has left (his gun) to end the frustration (which surely immediately shifted to a sense of terror due to the prospect of getting fired/charged with murder)

if the cops knew of the victim's history of resisting arrest, the procedure should have been clear: TELL him that you know his history and have your tasers at the ready to use if he puts up a fight. TELL him that they will be used if he puts up a fight

the other thing i didn't like about what transpired was that the cops put him through an excruciatingly long and repetitive sobriety test, all of which he complied with admirably and did well on, only to fail him based on the breathalyzer results. if he fails the breathalyzer, why the other tests? further evidence for the courts?

He was running away until he turned and pointed the taser at the officer and fired...
Unknown wrote:Dwarves laugh when they run because the grass tickles their balls.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1010 » by Dresden » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:22 pm

Bluewaterheaven wrote:
dice wrote:
RastaBull wrote:

He was running away until he turned and pointed the taser at the officer and fired...

I do think that in the heat of the moment, when someone who has just slugged you, grabbed your weapon, is running from you, and turns at you with a weapon pointed and ready to fire, your instinct is to protect yourself, and fire first. I don't know if you have time to compute "well, we searched him so we know he doesn't have another weapon, the taser was already fired, so he can't use that again". By the time you go through that checklist, if you're wrong, you could be dead.

In any case, whether this was a justified shooting or not, the matter of police brutality of people of color is irrefutable and pervasive, IMO, and something needs to be done to stop it. There should not be one set of rules for dealing with upstanding citizens from nice neighborhoods, and another for poor people living in slum areas.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1011 » by Dresden » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:42 pm

So, we've talked about all the ways the police could have done things differently. But what about the victim? If internet chatter is to be believed, Brooks:

1). Committed felony child abuse- a pretty serious charge involving most likely violence against a defenseless child
2) Had a history of obstructing the police
3) Had been released from jail due to COVID 19 concerns and was on parole
4) But still decided to get behind the wheel of an automobile while drunk
5) Despite all of the above, compounded everything by resisting arrest, fleeing from police, stealing their weapon, and tried to use it against them.

That's a lot of bad decisions on his part, too. Again, not saying it justifies being gunned down by a cop. But he could have done things differently at any number of points, and this wouldn't have happened. So does he bear some responsibility for the course his life took?
RastaBull
Lead Assistant

Post#1012 » by RastaBull » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:57 pm

Bluewaterheaven wrote:
dice wrote:
RastaBull wrote:

He was again running away when he was shot twice in the back. That is pretty much an irrefutable fact. The autopsy is clear evidence, and if that's not enough we have video showing that he was again turned and running away when the officer THEN decided to fire.

Again I pose the question: A man had a GUN in his hands and is running from the cops. At that point, he has a weapon correct? He has the potential to use a deadly weapon, right? I mean, I'm in full agreement about that threat at that point.

The man then turns around and faces the cops and THROWS the gun at them. Then turns back around and keeps running. He no longer has a weapon correct? He's no longer the same threat that was just before a moment before correct?

That is exactly what happened here. When he turned a shot the taser, it missed everyone. At that point, everyone and their mother knows he has nothing on him that could be deadly or a threat to those officers. That's just plain as day. So when you make a decision to shoot him in the back, it is plain and clear that you are shooting an unarmed black man running away.
_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,180

Post#1013 » by _txchilibowl_ » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:00 pm

Dresden wrote:So, we've talked about all the ways the police could have done things differently. But what about the victim? If internet chatter is to be believed, Brooks:

1). Committed felony child abuse- a pretty serious charge involving most likely violence against a defenseless child
5) Despite all of the above, compounded everything by resisting arrest, fleeing from police, stealing their weapon, and tried to use it against them.

That's a lot of bad decisions on his part, too. Again, not saying it justifies being gunned down by a cop. But he could have done things differently at any number of points, and this wouldn't have happened. So does he bear some responsibility for the course his life took?

Would seem to me he bears responsibility for everything he did up until he got shot in the back. He should be sitting in a jail cell right now...not laying in a morgue.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1014 » by Dresden » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:59 pm

_txchilibowl_ wrote:
Dresden wrote:So, we've talked about all the ways the police could have done things differently. But what about the victim? If internet chatter is to be believed, Brooks:

Would seem to me he bears responsibility for everything he did up until he got shot in the back. He should be sitting in a jail cell right now...not laying in a morgue.

I don't agree 100% with that. I think he does bear some responsibility- he decided to tussle with the officers. He decided to take their weapon AND fire it at them. He decided to run. All bad decisions. And he wasn't that drunk- he blew 1.08 or something. That's not blind drunk. No, he shouldn't be dead, but he also had any number of points where he could have not done what he did, and still be alive.
RastaBull
Lead Assistant

Post#1015 » by RastaBull » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:10 pm

Dresden wrote:
Bluewaterheaven wrote:
dice wrote:even if the taser could be fired infinite times it still must be done at close range...and he was RUNNING AWAY

I do think that in the heat of the moment, when someone who has just slugged you, grabbed your weapon, is running from you, and turns at you with a weapon pointed and ready to fire, your instinct is to protect yourself, and fire first. I don't know if you have time to compute "well, we searched him so we know he doesn't have another weapon, the taser was already fired, so he can't use that again". By the time you go through that checklist, if you're wrong, you could be dead.

In any case, whether this was a justified shooting or not, the matter of police brutality of people of color is irrefutable and pervasive, IMO, and something needs to be done to stop it. There should not be one set of rules for dealing with upstanding citizens from nice neighborhoods, and another for poor people living in slum areas.

First, I really appreciate the way you are posing your thoughts and pushing the conversation. What you describe in the first part is very valid (and obviously I whole heartedly agree that something needs to be done).

My opinion, what you posit is exactly why we must require greater scrutiny for ARMED POSITION OF AUTHORITY. We give our officers weapons (sometimes military-grade weapons), and we give them a great amount of freedom in the way they use those weapons against civilians:
1) They know the way decades (centuries) have interpreted an officer's claim "I feared for their life." So whether a person has a knife or a bb gun or a squirt gun, or just their fists ... this totally subjective "feared for their life" analysis is has been a get-out-of-jail-free card. (Remember also, we live in a country where even current generations lived through a time where you could tell an all white jury that you feared for life and directly invoke the persons race, and that would serve as a good enough defense for your actions). In most states, this is not the same level of scrutiny a civilian would end up receiving in a criminal court proceeding.
2) They operate with full knowledge that their actions fall under qualified immunity. I just don't see how anyone can deny that that alters your psyche when you go into situations. They know they will face no civil court consequences, none!

So in criminal court, they know their actions will be judged with much greater leniency than a typical civilian. In civil court they know there will be absolutely no consequences.

We use "law and order" as a means of directing our civilians' actions. There are consequences that we apply to them when they do horrible things to others ... this is the element of "deterrence" sought in our criminal justice system (tbc, I'm giving a lot of deference to ideas of a system I have much stronger feelings about). The most renowned words in our Declaration are the right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Our justice system as means of deterrence is sometimes a threat to take away YOUR LIFE (capital punishment), and many times a threat to take away you LIBERTY (incarceration/right to vote/etc). And beyond that, civil court offers another level of deterrence with harsh economic penalties even when it doesn't meet a criminal court burden. That is an extreme level of deterrence that we use as a society.

If we could simply "trust" that everyone would operate under the same moral codes and desire to keep neighbors and all communities safe, we wouldn't need to resort to this level of deterrence.

But we are arming people in a Police Force, and allowing them to operate without the same level of deterrence in place. They will not face the same level of scrutiny when using force that harms or kills someone. So without that, we have to just "trust" that they will wield that power safely and with responsibility.

WHY, and I do get worked up about this, WHY SHOULD I TRUST A POLICE OFFICER more than I trust my own neighbors? As a society, we've decided the community can't be trusted and so we need this level of deterrence, but why should I trust officers so much so that they don't need this? None of us voted on those officers. Here in NY, for decades, we've not been given ANY transparency about their actions (all internal records are shielded completely from public).

And here's my main point, for many departments the extent of education and training required is a HSD and couple months at a "police academy." (tbf, some departments require more, but it's still not enough imo). I'm supposed to trust this cop though, to make split second decisions that involve someone's life. I'm supposed to trust this cop to have the mental fortitude to THINK about how he just thoroughly searched someone, knows them to be unarmed, knows that the taser gun cannot be fired any more ... I'm supposed to trust that they won't murder a now unarmed black man in that moment.

I have always thought, why do our officers not have the same degree of training and education (classroom and practice) as doctors and lawyers? Why do we not have a P.O.D. (police officer doctorate) that is required for any and every cop. We require doctors to go through INTENSE levels of training and MULTIPLE, CONTINUED examinations/board certification, why? Because they hold someone's life and safety in their hands. We require lawyers to go through an intense level of training and THE HARDEST EXAM I COULD HAVE EVERY IMAGINED, why? Because they hold someone's liberty in their hands, someone's finances, or fiduciary duties.

If a doctor was on an operating table, and there was a a lot going on, a lot that I could not as a civilian reasonably manage, and he got mixed up or reacted in a way that caused the death of a patient ... a general civilian's ability to perform under those circumstances is not relevant and not an excuse. He will be held liable (sometimes criminally and civilly) based on what is reasonable for someone of his training and experience. And we as a society have set that bar, the required training and experience, VERY HIGH.

You may have seen the memes comparing other countries (tbf, memes don't get to nuance and often aren't accurate). But generally, you look at places like Norway, Finland, Germany or others: they require three-year degrees and multiple certifications that take years. Police Officers are required to get a similar level of robust training and education that teachers, doctors, and lawyers are. I dislike educational elitism, and the lack of affordability of our education model; that in itself needs to be overhauled ... I don't care that you didn't go to undergrad and study English Lit or Economics, but some police academies (since they are run by state regulations only) are only 2 WEEKS long. I want to know my Police Officers are best and brightest, that they've gone through programs that introduced them to many diverse settings (in terms of peoples AND ideas AND experiences).
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1016 » by Dresden » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:21 pm

RastaBull wrote:
Dresden wrote:
Bluewaterheaven wrote:

First, I really appreciate the way you are posing your thoughts and pushing the conversation. What you describe in the first part is very valid (and obviously I whole heartedly agree that something needs to be done).

My opinion, what you posit is exactly why we must require greater scrutiny for ARMED POSITION OF AUTHORITY. We give our officers weapons (sometimes military-grade weapons), and we give them a great amount of freedom in the way they use those weapons against civilians:
1) They know the way decades (centuries) have interpreted an officer's claim "I feared for their life." So whether a person has a knife or a bb gun or a squirt gun, or just their fists ... this totally subjective "feared for their life" analysis is has been a get-out-of-jail-free card. (Remember also, we live in a country where even current generations lived through a time where you could tell an all white jury that you feared for life and directly invoke the persons race, and that would serve as a good enough defense for your actions). In most states, this is not the same level of scrutiny a civilian would end up receiving in a criminal court proceeding.
2) They operate with full knowledge that their actions fall under qualified immunity. I just don't see how anyone can deny that that alters your psyche when you go into situations. They know they will face no civil court consequences, none!

So in criminal court, they know their actions will be judged with much greater leniency than a typical civilian. In civil court they know there will be absolutely no consequences.

We use "law and order" as a means of directing our civilians' actions. There are consequences that we apply to them when they do horrible things to others ... this is the element of "deterrence" sought in our criminal justice system (tbc, I'm giving a lot of deference to ideas of a system I have much stronger feelings about). The most renowned words in our Declaration are the right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Our justice system as means of deterrence is sometimes a threat to take away YOUR LIFE (capital punishment), and many times a threat to take away you LIBERTY (incarceration/right to vote/etc). And beyond that, civil court offers another level of deterrence with harsh economic penalties even when it doesn't meet a criminal court burden. That is an extreme level of deterrence that we use as a society.

If we could simply "trust" that everyone would operate under the same moral codes and desire to keep neighbors and all communities safe, we wouldn't need to resort to this level of deterrence.

But we are arming people in a Police Force, and allowing them to operate without the same level of deterrence in place. They will not face the same level of scrutiny when using force that harms or kills someone. So without that, we have to just "trust" that they will wield that power safely and with responsibility.

WHY, and I do get worked up about this, WHY SHOULD I TRUST A POLICE OFFICER more than I trust my own neighbors? As a society, we've decided the community can't be trusted and so we need this level of deterrence, but why should I trust officers so much so that they don't need this? None of us voted on those officers. Here in NY, for decades, we've not been given ANY transparency about their actions (all internal records are shielded completely from public).

And here's my main point, for many departments the extent of education and training required is a HSD and couple months at a "police academy." (tbf, some departments require more, but it's still not enough imo). I'm supposed to trust this cop though, to make split second decisions that involve someone's life. I'm supposed to trust this cop to have the mental fortitude to THINK about how he just thoroughly searched someone, knows them to be unarmed, knows that the taser gun cannot be fired any more ... I'm supposed to trust that they won't murder a now unarmed black man in that moment.

I have always thought, why do our officers not have the same degree of training and education (classroom and practice) as doctors and lawyers? Why do we not have a P.O.D. (police officer doctorate) that is required for any and every cop. We require doctors to go through INTENSE levels of training and MULTIPLE, CONTINUED examinations/board certification, why? Because they hold someone's life and safety in their hands. We require lawyers to go through an intense level of training and THE HARDEST EXAM I COULD HAVE EVERY IMAGINED, why? Because they hold someone's liberty in their hands, someone's finances, or fiduciary duties.

If a doctor was on an operating table, and there was a a lot going on, a lot that I could not as a civilian reasonably manage, and he got mixed up or reacted in a way that caused the death of a patient ... a general civilian's ability to perform under those circumstances is not relevant and not an excuse. He will be held liable (sometimes criminally and civilly) based on what is reasonable for someone of his training and experience. And we as a society have set that bar, the required training and experience, VERY HIGH.

You may have seen the memes comparing other countries (tbf, memes don't get to nuance and often aren't accurate). But generally, you look at places like Norway, Finland, Germany or others: they require three-year degrees and multiple certifications that take years. Police Officers are required to get a similar level of robust training and education that teachers, doctors, and lawyers are. I dislike educational elitism, and the lack of affordability of our education model; that in itself needs to be overhauled ... I don't care that you didn't go to undergrad and study English Lit or Economics, but some police academies (since they are run by state regulations only) are only 2 WEEKS long. I want to know my Police Officers are best and brightest, that they've gone through programs that introduced them to many diverse settings (in terms of peoples AND ideas AND experiences).

All good points, IMO. I've heard the same thing about teachers in European countries- much more training/educ. required, also much higher pay. Here, we pay somebody that can program a computer 200K a year (that is about what the average pay is at big firms like Google and Apple these days), but someone who will be teaching our children less than half that.

I don't know if this is still true or not, but it used to be that in the UK, cops didn't even carry guns. Personally, I think that is a great idea. In general, you are much less likely to get shot if you don't have a gun on you, and the same would go for the police I believe. It's a whole different understanding what the police are for, and what their role is- not to be going to war on the streets with criminals, but to watch over and make sure laws are being followed. That gets into a whole other discussion about the prevalence of guns in our society, but I do think if cops didn't have guns at their disposal, it would necessitate them doing their job in a much different, and better, way.
Bluewaterheaven
Assistant Coach
And1: 664

Post#1017 » by Bluewaterheaven » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:27 pm

I am sorry, but there is a lot of bull in this thread. Brooks was shot in the back, immediately after turning his body, while running, to shoot the taser as seen here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3202332001
Unknown wrote:Dwarves laugh when they run because the grass tickles their balls.
RastaBull
Lead Assistant

Post#1018 » by RastaBull » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:49 pm

Bluewaterheaven wrote:I am sorry, but there is a lot of bull in this thread. Brooks was shot in the back, immediately after turning his body, while running, to shoot the taser as seen here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3202332001

Sounds like we agree mate. Didn't realize you also acknowledged how horrible it was to shot a man AFTER the threat had ceased as you point out there.
RastaBull
Lead Assistant

Post#1019 » by RastaBull » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:05 pm

Dresden wrote:
RastaBull wrote:
Spoiler:
Dresden wrote:

All good points, IMO. I've heard the same thing about teachers in European countries- much more training/educ. required, also much higher pay. Here, we pay somebody that can program a computer 200K a year (that is about what the average pay is at big firms like Google and Apple these days), but someone who will be teaching our children less than half that.

I don't know if this is still true or not, but it used to be that in the UK, cops didn't even carry guns. Personally, I think that is a great idea. In general, you are much less likely to get shot if you don't have a gun on you, and the same would go for the police I believe. It's a whole different understanding what the police are for, and what their role is- not to be going to war on the streets with criminals, but to watch over and make sure laws are being followed. That gets into a whole other discussion about the prevalence of guns in our society, but I do think if cops didn't have guns at their disposal, it would necessitate them doing their job in a much different, and better, way.

Right on. (I do believe that is still the general basis in UK). I also think police officers on patrol should not have guns. That's a difficult proposition for many to consider because our society has developed with that relationship in place. How do you break it? I think a typical patrol officer even here in Brooklyn, or in Chicago, doesn't need a weapon with live ammunition. That certainly doesn't mean police departments don't have access to guns (in the UK during specific incidents cops may be armed to some degree).
But those that regularly carry them should have to have ANOTHER level of training and certification, and be a part of a very specific unit that has made a legal case to legislators/panel WHY the guns are required regularly.

All the people that talk about good apples and bad apples, there should be such a thorough vetting and education program that no "bad apple" is ever given a weapon BY THE STATE and given the license to murder people BY THE STATE. You absolutely should not be able to get couple weeks at police academy (or 6 months at most in the most serious departments) and be able to walk onto the street with a state provide weapon.

I'll also add: I want to see intense classroom and experiential education over many years for the people in charge of community safety; continued exams and recertification the same as we require teachers and doctors. But what I'll add, in the new world where we require that education up front of our officers, we pay them handsomely for the commitment they've made to that arduous training, we pay them handsomely for exercising the responsibility of that role with so much knowledge, compassion, and cross-cultural empathy.
_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,180

Post#1020 » by _txchilibowl_ » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:27 pm

Dresden wrote:
_txchilibowl_ wrote:

I don't agree 100% with that. I think he does bear some responsibility- he decided to tussle with the officers. He decided to take their weapon AND fire it at them. He decided to run. All bad decisions. And he wasn't that drunk- he blew 1.08 or something. That's not blind drunk. No, he shouldn't be dead, but he also had any number of points where he could have not done what he did, and still be alive.

Police officers should be above 'you get what you get' reactions and if they can't then they're in the wrong line of work. Period.

"To serve and protect"
not
"To serve and protect unless someone takes my taser"

Return to Chicago Bulls