Image ImageImage Image

Just Sad, "Chicago sees deadliest Memorial Day weekend in four years"

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,875

Re: Just Sad, "Chicago sees deadliest Memorial Day weekend in four years" 

Post#1221 » by Dresden » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:40 pm

SHO'NUFF wrote:

You meant interesting as in ridiculous garbage, right?

Read on Twitter
?s=21

From Article:
“Next, the young person ran away, rightfully fearing for his safety in this dangerous interaction with racist armed police.

:rofl: :crazy: ....I needed a good laugh. Better watch out for the KKK Chicago police!!!

After police shot this young man, members of the Englewood community are traumatized and want answers. The people of Englewood showed up immediately because they wanted to protect their community members from harm. CPD, meanwhile, was only interested in protecting itself; their response to these bystanders was sending in hundreds of officers with assault rifles, tear gas, and batons. These cops intimidated and beat people for nothing more than being at the scene of CPD’s violence. Yesterday, Chicago police continually proved that they do not keep us safe — they only cause violence, and escalation after the fact.

Traumatized? Protect their community from harm?!?! Give me a break! So, this is what they’re traumatized by now? Not the hundreds being murdered every damn year? Innocent children being killed? ....yea, ok.

Now they’re “trying to protect their community from harm”? Because of police shooting a suspect?? BLM as a movement/organization is a complete joke! Just look at the **** they stand for.... :lol: That article & website is propaganda trash. Do people really follow this ****? :lol: :lol:

More From Article:
The mayor clearly has not learned anything since May, and she would be wise to understand that the people will keep rising up until the CPD is abolished and our Black communities are fully invested in.

“Until the CPD is abolished” That’s pure gold! :lol:

Honestly, it's not the police that are traumatizing these communities, it's their own members. For every black person killed by police, 800 of them are murdered by other blacks. I know there are many reasons for this- poverty, hopelessness, illegal drug trade, etc., but let's not overlook the facts.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,546

Post#1222 » by PaKii94 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:28 pm

Everyone just needs to get their sh*t together and act like decent humans. The world has gotten ridiculous.

Also imo there is zero justification for looting.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,550

Post#1223 » by Dominator83 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:18 pm

SHO'NUFF wrote:Image

https://www.foxnews.com/us/black-lives-matter-holds-rally-chicago-support-arrested-looting-unrest.amp

Black Lives Matter members in Chicago held a rally on Monday to support the more than 100 arrested last night following widespread looting and rioting that caused at least $60 million in property damage and saw 13 police officers injured, according to a report.

The rally was organized by Black Lives Matter Chicago and was held at a police station in the South Loop where organizers say individuals are currently being held in custody. At least one organizer called the looting tantamount to "reparations."
"I don't care if someone decides to loot a Gucci or a Macy's or a Nike store, because that makes sure that person eats," said Ariel Atkins, a BLM organizer, according to NBC Chicago. "That makes sure that person has clothes."

"That is reparations," Atkins continued. "Anything they wanted to take, they can take it because these businesses have insurance."

The unrest was prompted by a social media post urging people to converge on Chicago's business district after police shot a man on the South Side around 2:30 p.m. Sunday.

Officers had responded to a call about a man with a gun in the Englewood neighborhood. While being pursued by police, the man, who was on foot, "turned and fired shots" at officers before being struck himself and taken to a local hospital, Deputy Chief Delonda Tally told Fox 32 Chicago.

Latrell Allen, 20, was charged with attempted murder Monday after firing on officers, according to Chicago police. A video posted on Facebook around 6:30 p.m. falsely claimed that officers had shot and killed a 15-year-old boy.

The shooting prompted hundreds of people to descend on downtown Chicago early Monday with vandals smashing the windows of dozens of businesses and making off with merchandise, cash machines and anything else they could carry, police said.

"This was not an organized protest. Rather, this was an incident of pure criminality," Police Superintendent David Brown told reporters. "This was an act of violence against our police officers and against our city."

BLM organizers criticized police reports surrounding the shooting, noting that none of the officers involved had body cameras, which investigators confirmed, according to NBC Chicago.

Black Lives Matter Chicago issued a statement obtained by the Chicago Sun-Times that read, "The mayor clearly has not learned anything since May, and she would be wise to understand that the people will keep rising up until the [Chicago Police Department] is abolished and our Black communities are fully invested in," the group said in a statement.

"Police say a lot of things," Atkins added. "Even though the Department of Justice said with the consent decree they are no longer allowed to chase people, they decided they were going to chase, and they shot this young man multiple times."

BLM = A circus organization run by clowns. :clown:

It’s okay go ahead & [+1] ....no one will judge you. ....except Dice

:pityfool:

You can't fix stupid no matter how many resources you throw it at.

Like to all these leaders and activists , what is the expectation that your seeking? What is the end game? Is it to where Blacks should have special privilege to do whatever they please and purge however they want and not be subject at all to law enforcement? That's a pretty insane thing to ask for and expect to get.

If a white guy shoots at police and gets shot in return, nobody bats an eye or sheds a tear. Nor should they. If he deserved it then he deserved it. Simple as that
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#1224 » by transplant » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:37 pm

Let's be real here. If folks choose to use George Floyd/BLM as an open-ended rationale to justify looting and violence, you're going to force the inevitable reality that those in actual power won't allow this kind of anarchy. Right now, everyone's very sensitive to how the law is enforced...velvet glove. Anarchy won't be allowed long-term and it could get ugly.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#1225 » by logical_art » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:16 am

Lets hope BLM continues to overplay their hand and get exposed for the hucksters they really are.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1226 » by Dresden » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:16 pm

logical_art wrote:Lets hope BLM continues to overplay their hand and get exposed for the hucksters they really are.

I don't see how demanding that police officers stop using excessive force and violence against black folks equates to being a huckster.
satriales
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#1227 » by satriales » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:27 pm

Dresden wrote:
logical_art wrote:Lets hope BLM continues to overplay their hand and get exposed for the hucksters they really are.

I don't see how demanding that police officers stop using excessive force and violence against black folks equates to being a huckster.

I believe OP was referring to the disinformation they propagated with regard to the recent Chicago shooting.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#1228 » by logical_art » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:07 pm

Dresden wrote:

Because a) the evidence does not show that police kill blacks disproportionately (i.e. the premise for their existence is unsupported empirically); b) they promote anti racist racism e.g. through the duplicitous use of the term "white supremacy" to mean that there's a history of racism and blacks are doing worse now than whites; c) they perpetuate the Marxist + post modernist ideology that is sweeping our institutions, leading to devaluing of rationality and merit, and limits on speech and expression; d) they encourage and/or do not condemn looting; e) they distract from much more significant barriers to black progress; f) they set back racial progress by taking a cause affecting all races and radically making it about blacks only; g) their work likely leads to an increase in black fatality (i.e. the Ferguson effect which according to these researchers leads to hundreds of additional homicides- https://www.nber.org/papers/w27324); g) they violate public health advise during a pandemic.

Lets turn the question on its head. Why is BLM good? Beyond the obvious and emotionally appealing fact that black lives do of course matter. What has BLM achieved noteworthy in the 7 years they've been in existence? On balance, have those achievements been worth the massive amount of money BLM receives as well as the other costs associated with their actions?
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1229 » by Dresden » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:45 pm

logical_art wrote:
Dresden wrote:

Because a) the evidence does not show that police kill blacks disproportionately (i.e. the premise for their existence is unsupported empirically); b) they promote anti racist racism e.g. through the duplicitous use of the term "white supremacy" to mean that there's a history of racism and blacks are doing worse now than whites; c) they perpetuate the Marxist + post modernist ideology that is sweeping our institutions, leading to devaluing of rationality and merit, and limits on speech and expression; d) they encourage and/or do not condemn looting; e) they distract from much more significant barriers to black progress; f) they set back racial progress by taking a cause affecting all races and radically making it about blacks only; g) their work likely leads to an increase in black fatality (i.e. the Ferguson effect which according to these researchers leads to hundreds of additional homicides- https://www.nber.org/papers/w27324); g) they violate public health advise during a pandemic.

Lets turn the question on its head. Why is BLM good? Beyond the obvious and emotionally appealing fact that black lives do of course matter. What has BLM achieved noteworthy in the 7 years they've been in existence? On balance, have those achievements been worth the massive amount of money BLM receives as well as the other costs associated with their actions?

They have brought a lot of attention to racist behaviors of many police forces. That in itself is a good thing, and it is causing changes to be made.

Even if blacks aren't disproportionately killed by police without good cause (which is a dubious claim, but perhaps it's true- but if it is, why don't we see the same sorts of video like we've seen with Floyd or others?), do you really believe that there isn't racism involved in how African American's are treated by the police in general?
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#1230 » by 2018C3 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:05 pm

BLM On principal is a good cause. (I believe anyone should be able to express this belief).

Blue Lives Matter is also true. "In my ideal world these two groups need to have a organized discussion at a backyard barbecue party with a few drinks handed out and find some common ground". Please, do not let the media drag the rest of this nation into your differences who prior to this have been getting along just fine.

"All Lives Matter". Although on principal I believe this is true, I also feel it's in bad taste to express this point of view, and is now being used to undermine the "Black Lives Matter" movement. I can see why people take offense to this.

When a movement or phrase is used to define a group that wants to spread a positive message upon to others, it should be carefully chosen to not offend. The name "Black Lives Matter" is not offensive at all.

Kaepernick not standing for the anthem, well that was obviously offensive for many in the US, (Although It's His Right) a different tactic should have been taken. "Just because you can do it, does not mean you should".

You just can't do stuff like that and single handedly rewrite all the rules of what it means. I also don't think people should be running around yelling "All Lives Matter". It's counterproductive to a a common goal.

If people on both sides would take the time to listen, we would find that many on both sides would agree to what most of us want to see happen. "A society in which race does not matter, but the content of ones own merits are placed first and foremost".

If real change is too be made, maybe government, bank loans, and job applicant forms should stop asking race or ancestry. We should all have the option to simply put "American". Especially if you were born here, If you are a direct immigrant, I could see where maybe the government could ask where you were born, but not any private entity.

As a white guy if anyone one in another country ever asks me where I am from, I say I am a American and so should anyone else who has been born here.

My family immigrated from Germany, and I never say "I'm German American. My identity is USA only. I do not speak German, I have never been there. I do not know any family members that live there. (In a way my complete culture from that area has been erased within just two generations).

And too top it off, when my family did a DNA test, we found we were not even German at all like we were told. My Mom's family was from France, and My Fathers was Slovenia. Neither culture I know anything about, and both were a big surprise. The biggest surprise in this Dna test, was a close family friend turned out to be a fairly close relative.

Good thing that I never dated that girl when both our parents were trying to set us up. It once came really close to happening. She had two tickets to a cubs game. Our parents set up a date, and I could not get off of work.
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,160

Post#1231 » by SHO'NUFF » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:06 am

2018C3 wrote:BLM On principal is a good cause. (I believe anyone should be able to express this belief).

Blue Lives Matter is also true. "In my ideal world these two groups need to have a organized discussion at a backyard barbecue party with a few drinks handed out and find some common ground". Please, do not let the media drag the rest of this nation into your differences who prior to this have been getting along just fine.

"All Lives Matter". Although on principal I believe this is true, I also feel it's in bad taste to express this point of view, and is now being used to undermine the "Black Lives Matter" movement. I can see why people take offense to this.

When a movement or phrase is used to define a group that wants to spread a positive message upon to others, it should be carefully chosen to not offend. The name "Black Lives Matter" is not offensive at all.

Kaepernick not standing for the anthem, well that was obviously offensive for many in the US, (Although It's His Right) a different tactic should have been taken. "Just because you can do it, does not mean you should".

You just can't do stuff like that and single handedly rewrite all the rules of what it means. I also don't think people should be running around yelling "All Lives Matter". It's counterproductive to a a common goal.

If people on both sides would take the time to listen, we would find that many on both sides would agree to what most of us want to see happen. "A society in which race does not matter, but the content of ones own merits are placed first and foremost".

If real change is too be made, maybe government, bank loans, and job applicant forms should stop asking race or ancestry. We should all have the option to simply put "American". Especially if you were born here, If you are a direct immigrant, I could see where maybe the government could ask where you were born, but not any private entity.

As a white guy if anyone one in another country ever asks me where I am from, I say I am a American and so should anyone else who has been born here.

My family immigrated from Germany, and I never say "I'm German American. My identity is USA only. I do not speak German, I have never been there. I do not know any family members that live there. (In a way my complete culture from that area has been erased within just two generations).

And too top it off, when my family did a DNA test, we found we were not even German at all like we were told. My Mom's family was from France, and My Fathers was Slovenia. Neither culture I know anything about, and both were a big surprise. The biggest surprise in this Dna test, was a close family friend turned out to be a fairly close relative.

Good thing that I never dated that girl when both our parents were trying to set us up. It once came really close to happening. She had two tickets to a cubs game. Our parents set up a date, and I could not get off of work.

Agreed.

Being that my family immigrated from Iraq neither I nor they claim “Iraqi”. Yes we all claim “Assyrian” but that’s our ethnicity. I’m American first and foremost (Born & raises in Chicago)....& damn proud of it. People will always be curious as to where one is “from” meaning “ethnicity” ... I don’t have an issue with that. But, I’ll always put American first.

My parents came here, assimilated, learned the language (became citizens) and accepted & loved their new country that gave them every opportunity. My dad (a darker middle eastern man never bitched about being treated bad because of his race....not once...& I’m sure that had a lot to do with how diverse Chicago is.

Btw, I too did the DNA test & I was pissed to find out I was exactly what I thought I was :lol: ... was hoping to be surprised. :banghead:
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#1232 » by 2018C3 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:58 am

What is sad,
A few months ago I spoke with a local liquor store owner who I think is from Pakistan. He was the only store in town who had bricks thrown though his window. On top of that he told me had other locations that were completely looted out in the Chicago area, one of the others were in Cicero, and another was in downtown. At the time He pulled out his phone and showed me photos of the other locations.

Today I stopped by and again and asked him how the other locations were doing, and he told me they are closed forever and he will never open them again.
FecesOfDeath
Head Coach
And1: 1,675

Post#1233 » by FecesOfDeath » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:46 pm

Dresden wrote:
They have brought a lot of attention to racist behaviors of many police forces. That in itself is a good thing, and it is causing changes to be made.

Even if blacks aren't disproportionately killed by police without good cause (which is a dubious claim, but perhaps it's true- but if it is, why don't we see the same sorts of video like we've seen with Floyd or others?), do you really believe that there isn't racism involved in how African American's are treated by the police in general?

It's not racism; it's police performing according to analytics -- just like NBA teams have been chucking more 3s and attempting more point-blank 2s due to analytics -- unless you're accusing the NBA of systemic chucking.

The common sense thing to do is to comply to authority at the time of apprehension, and then resist them in court if you feel unjustly treated. If you're afraid that the police thinks you're reaching for a gun instead of your registration, then ask them to get it for you. Don't steal their taser or gun and then shoot it at them.

More common sense: we don't see these videos unless the mainstream and big tech media want you to see them. We're not going to see videos of unarmed white people killed by black LEOs on your nightly news anytime soon -- unless that white person just happens to be shooting people at a suburban school.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,406

Post#1234 » by jnrjr79 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:58 pm

Dresden wrote:
logical_art wrote:
Dresden wrote:

Google Tony Timpa.

Most of the studies I've seen done on the issue and talked about in podcasts analyzing it seem to show that (1) more white people are killed than black people by police, (2) even accounting for percentage of population, unarmed black people are not killed at a greater rate than unarmed white people, and (3) basically all other police harassment and violence other than killings is worse for black people than white people. I don't know what the takeaway is, but my suspicion is cops really don't want to kill people by and large, if for no other reason than it's an enormous headache for them, but they are happy to engage in lesser abuses and harassment of black people to a greater degree because they think (correctly) they're likely to get away with it without any real pushback.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1235 » by Dresden » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:58 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
Dresden wrote:
logical_art wrote:

Google Tony Timpa.

Most of the studies I've seen done on the issue and talked about in podcasts analyzing it seem to show that (1) more white people are killed than black people by police, (2) even accounting for percentage of population, unarmed black people are not killed at a greater rate than unarmed white people, and (3) basically all other police harassment and violence other than killings is worse for black people than white people. I don't know what the takeaway is, but my suspicion is cops really don't want to kill people by and large, if for no other reason than it's an enormous headache for them, but they are happy to engage in lesser abuses and harassment of black people to a greater degree because they think (correctly) they're likely to get away with it without any real pushback.

I agree that police are not looking to kill anyone. But I think it's pretty well documented that African American's are discriminated against by the police and the judicial system. It's the animosity and indifference to the welfare of black people that causes situations like George Floyd to occur, where a cop keeps his knee on the guys neck even when he's saying he can't breath. Many, many black people feel like they have been unfairly targeted or unfairly treated by the police, and that is what the BLM movement is trying to put an end to. It's not just the killings, it's the daily harassment they feel from police.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,406

Post#1236 » by jnrjr79 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:55 pm

Dresden wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
Dresden wrote:

Google Tony Timpa.

I agree that police are not looking to kill anyone. But I think it's pretty well documented that African American's are discriminated against by the police and the judicial system. It's the animosity and indifference to the welfare of black people that causes situations like George Floyd to occur, where a cop keeps his knee on the guys neck even when he's saying he can't breath. Many, many black people feel like they have been unfairly targeted or unfairly treated by the police, and that is what the BLM movement is trying to put an end to. It's not just the killings, it's the daily harassment they feel from police.

My point is sort of the opposite of this. Re: the killings specifically, the data doesn't show anti-black bias on the part of the police. However, for everything else, including the "daily harassment" you reference and lesser types of police brutality, the data supports and I 100% agree that black people face worse treatment from the police.

Return to Chicago Bulls