Image ImageImage Image

Just Sad, "Chicago sees deadliest Memorial Day weekend in four years"

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,536

Re: Just Sad, "Chicago sees deadliest Memorial Day weekend in four years" 

Post#21 » by Dominator83 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:34 am

Shill wrote:
gardenofsound wrote:Change the way public schools are funded so that the funding comes from the state, not local property taxes. There's no real reason OPRF should be getting so much more money than CPS schools in struggling neighborhoods. The way it is now, poor neighborhoods put less money into schools and richer neighborhood puts more money. It let's stratification continue to spiral as the rich get richer, the poor get poorer. Equal opportunity my ass.

I believe other states have tried variations of this (e.g. New Jersey), and it didn't have a significant impact. Funding isn't the hurdle, IMO.

Some social scientists in the field of education have recommended a form of busing 2.0; their theory is that kids in socioeconomically depressed aeras will perform better when surrounded by higher-achieving students.

I don't think that's the answer, but it gets closer to the solution, which revolves around creating a culture that fosters education.

Kids who grow up in environments where there are books in the home and reading is encouraged and parents are invested in their education have much better outcomes, even with limited resources.

It's a problem that goes deeper than funding.

Ehh. You can take a kid out of the jungle but you can't take the jungle out of the kid. It all starts at home. Unfortunately, there are far, far too many people out there that want to have kids, but have zero intentions of bringing them up the right way. It's an endless cycle and won't be broken. At least not in our lifetimes
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
HINrichPolice
General Manager
And1: 1,706

Post#22 » by HINrichPolice » Wed May 27, 2020 5:23 pm

The fear and power struggle that permeates our toughest neighborhoods is a result of people not feeling secure and stable. And that fear and need for power to survive leads to shootings and murders.

From my point of view, one of the most effective ways to get at the root of the many things that lead to these shootings is to provide people with a path towards stability.

With the way the economy was even before the pandemic (and please don't get me started on misleading unemployment numbers and GDP), we have so many people struggling to get by month to month.

Universal Basic Income would have dramatic effects on so many of the root issues that lead to these acts of violence.

Sure, having money doesn't solve everything, but having money makes everything easier to solve. Additionally, poverty isn't a result of one's character, it's a result of not having money.

There are many many reasons we can point to for the domino effect of events that lead up to things like "Chicago sees deadliest Memorial Day weekend in four years", but we need to start by addressing root problems. And root problems would be easier to solve if everyone had a Universal Basic Income.
CONTENDERS FIND A WAY
Shill
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Post#24 » by Shill » Wed May 27, 2020 11:56 pm

HINrichPolice wrote:The fear and power struggle that permeates our toughest neighborhoods is a result of people not feeling secure and stable. And that fear and need for power to survive leads to shootings and murders.

From my point of view, one of the most effective ways to get at the root of the many things that lead to these shootings is to provide people with a path towards stability.

With the way the economy was even before the pandemic (and please don't get me started on misleading unemployment numbers and GDP), we have so many people struggling to get by month to month.

Universal Basic Income would have dramatic effects on so many of the root issues that lead to these acts of violence.

Sure, having money doesn't solve everything, but having money makes everything easier to solve. Additionally, poverty isn't a result of one's character, it's a result of not having money.

There are many many reasons we can point to for the domino effect of events that lead up to things like "Chicago sees deadliest Memorial Day weekend in four years", but we need to start by addressing root problems. And root problems would be easier to solve if everyone had a Universal Basic Income.

I think UBI is an interesting proposal, but I'm skeptical.

The negative income tax—a similar idea—was tried in the 1970s as a pilot program, and it lowered labor force participation even though the people drawing the benefit knew their assistance wouldn't be affected by getting a job.

UBI was also tried in Finland, and it was scrapped.

I think UBI could potentially create more problems than it solves, but it's an interesting idea.

That said, I don't know if it will fix the problems in Chicago.

As I mentioned before, the dramatic shift in culture has had a lot of downstream effects.

Also, the people committing acts of violence are a very small percentage, but they create a lot of chaos. I don't think they will be persuaded out of the gang life because of a $1,000 monthly stipend.

That's chump change compared to what you can make on the street.
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,520

Post#25 » by dice » Thu May 28, 2020 12:46 am

Shill wrote:
HINrichPolice wrote:The fear and power struggle that permeates our toughest neighborhoods is a result of people not feeling secure and stable. And that fear and need for power to survive leads to shootings and murders.

The negative income tax—a similar idea—was tried in the 1970s as a pilot program, and it lowered labor force participation even though the people drawing the benefit knew their assistance wouldn't be affected by getting a job.

only in america is a lower labor force participation seen as a fundamental problem. particularly when weighed against the virtual elimination of poverty

if a company can't/won't pay enough to entice ANYBODY to lead something more than a subsistence lifestyle, that company would naturally fail

apparently the effect of those experiments in the '70s seemed to show that the only effect on the labor force was that unemployed people (those LOOKING for work) stayed unemployed longer. obviously because they no longer had as much incentive to take, say, a minimum wage job. that's more an indicator of personal ambition than laziness. and, in fact, the reduction in labor participation was offset by increased educational pursuits. additionally, pilot programs with only a few thousand participants do not significantly change the job market itself (employers do not have to adjust their hiring practices/compensation levels in response)

https://www.vox.com/2014/7/23/5925041/guaranteed-income-basic-poverty-gobry-labor-supply

very flawed program/study:

https://www.businessinsider.com/finland-basic-income-experiment-reasons-for-failure-2019-12

I think UBI could potentially create more problems than it solves, but it's an interesting idea.

As I mentioned before, the dramatic shift in culture has had a lot of downstream effects.

Also, the people committing acts of violence are a very small percentage, but they create a lot of chaos. I don't think they will be persuaded out of the gang life because of a $1,000 monthly stipend.

it would certainly have a long-term effect on inner-city violence. a lot more kids would be raised in stable economic circumstances. gangs get 'em early
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Shill
RealGM

Post#26 » by Shill » Thu May 28, 2020 1:10 am

dice wrote:only in america is a lower labor force participation seen as a fundamental problem. particularly when weighed against the virtual elimination of poverty

If the idea is to potentially supplement the income of people struggling and they don't want to work and they'd rather live off the subsistence amount, that's not a good thing.

if a company can't/won't pay enough to entice ANYBODY to lead something more than a subsistence lifestyle, that company would naturally fail

That artificial distortion to the market would undoubtedly lead to inflation and agglomerate even more power in large corporations that aren't operating at the margins like small/local businesses.

apparently the effect of those experiments in the '70s seemed to show that the only effect on the labor force was that unemployed people (those LOOKING for work) stayed unemployed longer. obviously because they no longer had as much incentive to take, say, a minimum wage job. that's more an indicator of personal ambition than laziness. and, in fact, the reduction in labor participation was offset by increased educational pursuits. additionally, pilot programs with only a few thousand participants do not significantly change the job market itself (employers do not have to adjust their hiring practices/compensation levels in response)

The pilot program didn't distort the market, but the sample showed a trend in behavior.

Some people would simply rather take the subsistence wage than work. I've seen it up close and personal.

it would certainly have a long-term effect on inner-city violence. a lot more kids would be raised in stable economic circumstances. gangs get 'em early

I don't think UBI is the deciding factor in a gangland environment.

One of the splits on UBI has been over whether or not it should replace existing means-tested welfare programs.

A lot of people are already getting programs like section 8, SNAP, WIC, general relief, etc...

They haven't done much of anything in reversing trends of poverty or stabilizing communities.

I'm highly skeptical that UBI would the missing link.
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
dice
RealGM

Post#27 » by dice » Thu May 28, 2020 2:07 am

Shill wrote:
dice wrote:only in america is a lower labor force participation seen as a fundamental problem. particularly when weighed against the virtual elimination of poverty

If the idea is to potentially supplement the income of people struggling and they don't want to work and they'd rather live off the subsistence amount, that's not a good thing.

that depends on whether their not working has a significant adverse effect on the rest of society. but very few people would simply stop working entirely. there is no way that anything approaching a living wage UBI would be feasible

That artificial distortion to the market would undoubtedly lead to inflation...

sure. probably nothing substantial though. and again, more than offset by the vast reduction in poverty

and agglomerate even more power in large corporations that aren't operating at the margins like small/local businesses.

not necessarily. a UBI would eliminate the need for a minimum wage. small businesses dependent on cheap labor would likely be better off were the minimum wage eliminated in tandem w/ UBI implementation. certainly in states that have substantially increased their minimum wages

The pilot program didn't distort the market, but the sample showed a trend in behavior.

Some people would simply rather take the subsistence wage than work. I've seen it up close and personal.

you're talking about short-term welfare, not long-term UBI. the experiments with UBI did not show what you're talking about with welfare. but obviously there will be SOME tiny percentage of the population who would rather sit at home and get $12,000 a year or whatever rather than work a low wage job and more than double their income. wouldn't make sense on any level unless the person physically or mentally couldn't hold down a job, though. hell, many unskilled workers could double their income working part-time

I don't think UBI is the deciding factor in a gangland environment.

deciding factor? of course not. a significant factor? it would surely be

One of the splits on UBI has been over whether or not it should replace existing means-tested welfare programs.

A lot of people are already getting programs like section 8, SNAP, WIC, general relief, etc...

They haven't done much of anything in reversing trends of poverty or stabilizing communities.

I'm highly skeptical that UBI would the missing link.

the poverty rate plummeted amongst seniors due to social security, which is a form of UBI that DRASTICALLY reduced the incentive to work and obviously serves to reduce the size of the labor force. and while the poverty rate hasn't been meaningfully affected by the programs you mention, extreme poverty
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,148

Post#28 » by League Circles » Thu May 28, 2020 2:12 am

Shill wrote:

Great post.

The people pulling triggers are, I'd heavily bet, the extremely few and far between "lost souls"/sociopaths, etc. Virtually all of the people in these bad areas are suffering from the same challenges and aren't shooting anyone.

I also agree on UBI. Interesting idea, but IMO also likely to cause more problems than it solves.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Shill
RealGM

Post#29 » by Shill » Thu May 28, 2020 3:02 am

dice wrote:that depends on whether their not working has a significant adverse effect on the rest of society. but very few people would simply stop working entirely. there is no way that anything approaching a living wage UBI would be feasible

Impossible to say definitively one way or the other, but there's evidence to suggest a not insignificant number of people would be content living off UBI and not working.

sure. probably nothing substantial though. and again, more than offset by the vast reduction in poverty

Disagree.

If $1,000 is the new zero, that will undoubtedly cause prices in every sector to increase, including housing.

not necessarily. a UBI would eliminate the need for a minimum wage. small businesses dependent on cheap labor would likely be better off were the minimum wage eliminated in tandem w/ UBI implementation. certainly in states that have substantially increased their minimum wages

This is an interesting proposal, but I doubt a majority of labor activist types would cotton to eliminating the minimum wage.

you're talking about short-term welfare, not long-term UBI. the experiments with UBI did not show what you're talking about with welfare. but obviously there will be SOME tiny percentage of the population who would rather sit at home and get $12,000 a year or whatever rather than work a low wage job and more than double their income. wouldn't make sense on any level unless the person physically or mentally couldn't hold down a job, though. hell, many unskilled workers could double their income working part-time

That's an unsettled question. The negative income tax experiment did not result in the expected outcome.

Like I said before, I"m skeptical.

I don't think $1,000 is going to repair a culture that's indifferent to or even celebratory of out-of-wedlock births.

The illegitimacy rate has increased with the proliferation of anti-poverty programs.

the poverty rate plummeted amongst seniors due to social security, which is a form of UBI that DRASTICALLY reduced the incentive to work and obviously serves to reduce the size of the labor force. and while the poverty rate hasn't been meaningfully affected by the programs you mention, extreme poverty

But even FDR didn't intend for social security to be a permanent entitlement.

At the outset, there were dozens of workers per retiree. That number has dwindled to two or three workers per retiree. Life expectancy at the time was only two or three years beyond retirement age.

The social security tax has increased by six fold over the years, and the program is still insolvent.

Adding another entitlement that everyone gets at the age of majority would be a mathematical nightmare.

Now if ALL the other entitlements were rolled into UBI, it could potentially be economically workable.

However, I'm still skeptical if it would create the desired effect, i.e. significant poverty/crime reduction.
dice
RealGM

Post#30 » by dice » Thu May 28, 2020 4:20 am

Shill wrote:
dice wrote:that depends on whether their not working has a significant adverse effect on the rest of society. but very few people would simply stop working entirely. there is no way that anything approaching a living wage UBI would be feasible

Impossible to say definitively one way or the other, but there's evidence to suggest a not insignificant number of people would be content living off UBI and not working.

there's actually no evidence whatsoever that any significant number would be content to not work on a permanent basis. and if the UBI was linked to GDP, any significant amount of people not working would cause a contraction in the economy, thus reducing the amount of the UBI until people returned to working. market equilibrium. and if it didn't cause an economic contraction, then who the hell cares if some bums want to waste away their lives in their crappy little apartments

Disagree.

If $1,000 is the new zero, that will undoubtedly cause prices in every sector to increase, including housing.

any inflation would be the result of increase in consumer spending, which is good for the economy. has any economist ever argued that increased consumer spending is anything other than a great thing? i don't think there's an inflation corollary to that argument

This is an interesting proposal, but I doubt a majority of labor activist types would cotton to eliminating the minimum wage.

they'd push for maintaining it, for sure. but they'd cave if necessary. and if that was the sticking point, they'd deserve to lose the UBI. of course, this would all depend on the size of the UBI

That's an unsettled question. The negative income tax experiment did not result in the expected outcome.

i don't know what the expected outcome was, so i couldn't comment on that

Like I said before, I"m skeptical.

I don't think $1,000 is going to repair a culture that's indifferent to or even celebratory of out-of-wedlock births.

The illegitimacy rate has increased with the proliferation of anti-poverty programs.

1) i didn't say that $1000 was going to repair anything. i said it would lead to improvements in both the short and long-term
2) nobody celebrates out-of-wedlock births
3) the illegitimacy rate has increased as the overall birthrate has declined. why? because less people are getting married, particularly in the black community. linking illegitimate births to welfare rather than the vastly different societal view on marriage now vs the '60s is quite a stretch. correlation does not imply causation. that said, taking marriage out of the equation, it stands to reason that the government providing some support surely has an impact on the decision of a poor woman to have a child. eliminating welfare would further reduce the birthrate but obviously increase the problems of children born into poverty

But even FDR didn't intend for social security to be a permanent entitlement.

At the outset, there were dozens of workers per retiree. That number has dwindled to two or three workers per retiree. Life expectancy at the time was only two or three years beyond retirement age.

The social security tax has increased by six fold over the years, and the program is still insolvent.

none of this is relevant to what i said. and the program is nowhere near insolvent. currently projections call for a benefits decrease in 2034 if no adjustment to the funding is made. the reason for the budgetary issues is reagan raiding the fund and no subsequent administration rectifying it. not because of some fundamental flaw of the program

Adding another entitlement that everyone gets at the age of majority would be a mathematical nightmare. Now if ALL the other entitlements were rolled into UBI, it could potentially be economically workable.

that would surely be the objective, assuming that the UBI amount was sufficient. the equivalent of "social security for all"
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Post#31 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu May 28, 2020 4:48 am

2018C3 wrote:Chicago sees deadliest Memorial Day weekend in four years with 10 killed and 39 injured in shootings.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/25/us/chicago-memorial-day-deaths/index.html

Why,and how can this nonsense be stopped? I do not have answers. Whats the real problem we have locally, and what can be done to stop it?

No tolerance policy for gang activity. This will probably anger some people, but lock them all up and put the worst offenders down like dogs. They will never change. The need for revenge is an unsolvable situation.

If they could all kill each other fast enough that would work, but they don't and there is always another ready to step up and get payback. Plus innocents get killed in this mess. I have no sympathy for anyone doing this evil ****.
Shill
RealGM

Post#32 » by Shill » Thu May 28, 2020 7:07 am

dice wrote:there's actually no evidence whatsoever that any significant number would be content to not work on a permanent basis. and if the UBI was linked to GDP, any significant amount of people not working would cause a contraction in the economy, thus reducing the amount of the UBI until people returned to working. market equilibrium. and if it didn't cause an economic contraction, then who the hell cares if some bums want to waste away their lives in their crappy little apartments

There's never been a protracted study, so we don't know.

The limited information we have suggests labor force participation would be affected.

As for tying to GDP, there's been a debate about that. I think if you're going to do it at all, it would have to be tied to a percentage of GDP, but unless there's overwhelming bipartisan support to get a Constitutional amendment, some opportunistic politician will always run on trying to increase it.

I think the slippery slope argument is valid.

any inflation would be the result of increase in consumer spending, which is good for the economy. has any economist ever argued that increased consumer spending is anything other than a great thing? i don't think there's an inflation corollary to that argument

The inflation would be a result of massively increasing the money supply.

Cost of living would not stay static.

they'd push for maintaining it, for sure. but they'd cave if necessary. and if that was the sticking point, they'd deserve to lose the UBI. of course, this would all depend on the size of the UBI

I have a hard time buying they would cave, but perhaps they would.

i don't know what the expected outcome was, so i couldn't comment on that

The intent was to solve the problem of people losing welfare benefits by becoming employed.

Studies showed that in some cases it made more sense for people to live off the government dole.

They tried to solve the problem by not "punishing" people with reduced assistance by finding gainful employment.

1) i didn't say that $1000 was going to repair anything. i said it would lead to improvements in both the short and long-term
2) nobody celebrates out-of-wedlock births
3) the illegitimacy rate has increased as the overall birthrate has declined. why? because less people are getting married, particularly in the black community. linking illegitimate births to welfare rather than the vastly different societal view on marriage now vs the '60s is quite a stretch. correlation does not imply causation. that said, taking marriage out of the equation, it stands to reason that the government providing some support surely has an impact on the decision of a poor woman to have a child. eliminating welfare would further reduce the birthrate but obviously increase the problems of children born into poverty

1) I'll address this point later.

2) You'd be surprised. I've anecdotal evidence to the contrary. The broader point is that there is FAR less social stigmatization on the issue (for better or worse), and that isn't debatable.

3) I should've been more clear. My intent wasn't to suggest causation (although economists and social scientists have made a compelling case).

I was just pointing out that an increase in welfare benefits didn't significantly reduce poverty or heal the dilemma of broken families.

As I argued in previous posts, I think the problem is largely cultural.

none of this is relevant to what i said. and the program is nowhere near insolvent. currently projections call for a benefits decrease in 2034 if no adjustment to the funding is made. the reason for the budgetary issues is reagan raiding the fund and no subsequent administration rectifying it. not because of some fundamental flaw of the program

There is a fundamental flaw in the program when the number of people drawing from the fund will be larger than the people paying into it.

And any suggested cuts to social security is the third rail of politics. Something will have to be done.

that would surely be the objective, assuming that the UBI amount was sufficient. the equivalent of "social security for all"

Referring back to point (1) earlier, UBI proponents are split on folding all entitlements into that one program.

It's not unusual for someone to draw more than $1,000 in combined means-tested programs.

So presumably, for the $1,000 to make an impact, the current programs would have to be kept in place, or UBI would have to be much bigger than the proposed $1,000/month.

Either way, $12,000 is not a salve for the larger cultural issues.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#33 » by League Circles » Thu May 28, 2020 12:41 pm

I'm not an economist and I may well be overlooking something or whatever, but it blows my mind that UBI has become such a popular idea for several reasons. First, as Shill has outlined, it would just adjust what the new zero is. Housing and food costs would go up notably. People aren't going to treat the UBI as a new personal safety net IMO, they're going to treat it like it's a raise on their income. They're going to borrow more, buy more, and consume more. I don't agree with the view that this is inherently good for an economy. I believe production and under-consumption are what is inherently good. This may sound classist or harsh, but I think it's self evident that poor people make worse financial decisions, in general, than people with more money. Of course there are many exceptions in the short term. I don't think giving people cash is basically ever a good idea. When people towards the bottom of the economic ladder are struggling, I far prefer policies to provide them with food, water, shelter and education than cash.

Then you have the elephant in the room that this country has an enormous substance abuse problem, and giving all of the abusers a guaranteed source of income is virtually begging a lot of them to stay homeless and addicted forever. That's an outright cancer on society.

One unrelated idea I just had is to implement a tax on property rentals. This would disincentivize renting and incentivize buying, which would be good for equity in poorer areas and promote stability and the protection, care and maintenance of properties that are otherwise often allowed to deteriorate.

Another idea is to have a government jobs guarantee program.
GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,508

Post#34 » by GetBuLLish » Thu May 28, 2020 1:16 pm

There are countless reasons why UBI is a terrible, misguided idea. But here's what really gives the game away: why don't some states enact a UBI and show the country how great a program it is? Or how about just one state? There are a number of liberal states with a large contingent of wealthy residents to tax; why not start a UBI program there?
League Circles
RealGM

Post#35 » by League Circles » Thu May 28, 2020 1:18 pm

GetBuLLish wrote:There are countless reasons why UBI is a terrible, misguided idea. But here's what really gives the game away: why don't some states enact a UBI and show the country how great a program it is? Or how about just one state? There are a number of liberal states with a large contingent of wealthy residents to tax; why not start a UBI program there?

Haha yep. Surely California can show us how it's done like they do with everything else :roll:
gardenofsound
Starter
And1: 1,780

Post#36 » by gardenofsound » Thu May 28, 2020 2:27 pm

League Circles and GetBuLLish,

I am a UBI skeptic as well. That said, the income comes from somewhere (increased corporate taxes, etc) as a way to offset the savings they make from automating people out of jobs.

Maybe it's the universal aspect I disagree with. I think people whose jobs have been eliminated due to automation/robots/outsourcing--particularly those who have already reached middle age and have spent their entire careers in this field that no longer has jobs for them.

That doesn't really address inner-city violence, though.

That said, UBI may further people's means to purchase narcotics, but that also minimizes the amount of robbery/pawning/prostitution that may happen when destitute people are looking for their next fix.

I also think we're ignoring the fact that a huge portion of the drug sales--particularly heroin--are suburban (white) folks going into the city to get drugs. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1761118/

Crack, not as much, but powder cocaine is still a pretty heavily white/upper-class thing. I've never seen crack at a house party but see cocaine pretty regularly among even my grad school cohort. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4533860/

Heroin has the added demand pipeline of opioid prescriptions getting cut off and addicts looking for their next fix. Anecdotally, a good friend of mine from high school had an emergency appendectomy near the end of junior year. During recovery, he had an on-demand morphine drip and, upon release, was prescribed narcotic painkillers. When the prescription ran out, he was already hooked and slid into heroin. The next few years of his life were not great. He stole from his friends to get drug money until he alienated all of them, went to halfway houses and had a long road to recovery. He's doing very well now, but it got bad.

The demand side of the drug trade has to be solved. Limiting supply only amps up the value of territory/supply with those that do still have supply. Lower demand, and the supply lowers with it because it's just not that valuable anymore.

Draconian drug policy might work when that demand doesn't already exist, but when the demand is rampant, it's a lot more difficult. Not to mention,

League Circles, I do agree that the drug trade is a major reason for the violence we see in Chicago. I do believe there needs to be a multi-pronged approach to addressing it, though.

1. Lower demand for illicit drugs. I suggest that the way to remove the black market component is to legalize and regulate it. Pricing should be cut to where black market incentives are no longer viable. This goes a long way towards helping with #2.

2. Minimize the allure of joining the black market, particularly for minors. We've talked at long length about this, but what it comes down to is giving kids hope that there are safer, respectable ways to make money. To this end, I think raising minimum wage beyond subsistence (which is then subsidized by SNAP and other welfare) should be a big deal. Working at McDonalds, Walgreens, or Walmart should not still leave people struggling with basic costs like housing, food, and healthcare.

3. Healthcare shouldn't be tied to your employer/employment, and should be easily accessible and of high quality regardless of your economic situation. M4A helps a lot here. You're right that a crusty sex ed high school teacher isn't going to be that influential, but a one-on-one conversation with a doctor might be.

4. Free community college education for Associates degrees or vocational certificates, and need based scholarships to public four-year institutions.

5. Student loan breaks/credits for community service. Kids in high risk neighborhoods/situations should be exposed to the possibilities beyond their neighborhood. I think orgs like Big Brothers Big Sisters and Teach for America do wonderful work on this front. This type of altruism should be incentivized, though, otherwise the "haves" tend to not have any interest.

I'll leave this here because I think there's a lot of truth in it:
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#37 » by Ccwatercraft » Thu May 28, 2020 2:31 pm

All of the above is why I moved away from Chicago, and eventually out of the state.

As far as a fix is concerned? well I don't see it now any more than I did decades ago when the family got the hell out of dodge. I go back for weddings and funerals (occasional bears game) because I have extended family there but literally none of them live in or even near the city anymore (back in the 70's we all lived there), they have moved as far away as they can comfortably commute (in some cases over an hour)
gardenofsound
Starter
And1: 1,780

Post#38 » by gardenofsound » Thu May 28, 2020 2:41 pm

Ccwatercraft wrote:All of the above is why I moved away from Chicago, and eventually out of the state.

As far as a fix is concerned? well I don't see it now any more than I did decades ago when the family got the hell out of dodge. I go back for weddings and funerals (occasional bears game) because I have extended family there but literally none of them live in or even near the city anymore (back in the 70's we all lived there), they have moved as far away as they can comfortably commute (in some cases over an hour)

I honestly understand this on an individual family by family basis, but in aggregate this is white flight and a huge part of what got these communities in this situation.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#39 » by Susan » Thu May 28, 2020 2:55 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
2018C3 wrote:Chicago sees deadliest Memorial Day weekend in four years with 10 killed and 39 injured in shootings.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/25/us/chicago-memorial-day-deaths/index.html

Why,and how can this nonsense be stopped? I do not have answers. Whats the real problem we have locally, and what can be done to stop it?

No tolerance policy for gang activity. This will probably anger some people, but lock them all up and put the worst offenders down like dogs. They will never change. The need for revenge is an unsolvable situation.

If they could all kill each other fast enough that would work, but they don't and there is always another ready to step up and get payback. Plus innocents get killed in this mess. I have no sympathy for anyone doing this evil ****.

George Floyd was put down like a dog a few days ago.

This post is trash. They're humans in a **** **** situation. Seeing them as dogs is evil in itself.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#40 » by League Circles » Thu May 28, 2020 2:58 pm

gardenofsound wrote:
Ccwatercraft wrote:All of the above is why I moved away from Chicago, and eventually out of the state.

I honestly understand this on an individual family by family basis, but in aggregate this is white flight and a huge part of what got these communities in this situation.

Why can't/shouldn't/isn't it black flight? I don't know cc, but lots and lots of black people leave these terrible areas for much better lives elsewhere. Leaving a bad place for a better place is a constant narrative throughout the history of human success, yet some elements of society promote the idea that "communities" are, or should be static in the sense that they suggest that good jobs, housing, etc should be available to all within the neighborhoods they grew up in. Meanwhile, countless people have to move to find work, affordable housing, etc. Communities grow, thrive, and eventually start to decay, like any biological system.

Return to Chicago Bulls