Image ImageImage Image

Just Sad, "Chicago sees deadliest Memorial Day weekend in four years"

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Re: Just Sad, "Chicago sees deadliest Memorial Day weekend in four years" 

Post#41 » by Ccwatercraft » Thu May 28, 2020 2:59 pm

gardenofsound wrote:
Ccwatercraft wrote:All of the above is why I moved away from Chicago, and eventually out of the state.

As far as a fix is concerned? well I don't see it now any more than I did decades ago when the family got the hell out of dodge. I go back for weddings and funerals (occasional bears game) because I have extended family there but literally none of them live in or even near the city anymore (back in the 70's we all lived there), they have moved as far away as they can comfortably commute (in some cases over an hour)

I honestly understand this on an individual family by family basis, but in aggregate this is white flight and a huge part of what got these communities in this situation.

I believe those of any color that moved out had the same motivation to protect their families and improve their quality of life, when you see the neighborhood and surrounding areas getting increasingly dangerous, WGN talking about shootings daily, no optimism that things will improve, time to move. If my current city began experiencing these issues, I'd reluctantly pick up and move again and likely the neighbors too.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#42 » by League Circles » Thu May 28, 2020 3:00 pm

Susan wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
2018C3 wrote:Chicago sees deadliest Memorial Day weekend in four years with 10 killed and 39 injured in shootings.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/25/us/chicago-memorial-day-deaths/index.html

Why,and how can this nonsense be stopped? I do not have answers. Whats the real problem we have locally, and what can be done to stop it?

No tolerance policy for gang activity. This will probably anger some people, but lock them all up and put the worst offenders down like dogs. They will never change. The need for revenge is an unsolvable situation.

If they could all kill each other fast enough that would work, but they don't and there is always another ready to step up and get payback. Plus innocents get killed in this mess. I have no sympathy for anyone doing this evil ****.

George Floyd was put down like a dog a few days ago.

This post is trash. They're humans in a **** **** situation. Seeing them as dogs is evil in itself.

I haven't followed the Floyd case closely. Are you suggesting he was a murderous gangster? Because those are the people he seems to be talking about. A murderer is just a person in a bad situation????
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach

Post#43 » by Ccwatercraft » Thu May 28, 2020 3:07 pm

League Circles wrote:
gardenofsound wrote:
Ccwatercraft wrote:All of the above is why I moved away from Chicago, and eventually out of the state.

As far as a fix is concerned? well I don't see it now any more than I did decades ago when the family got the hell out of dodge. I go back for weddings and funerals (occasional bears game) because I have extended family there but literally none of them live in or even near the city anymore (back in the 70's we all lived there), they have moved as far away as they can comfortably commute (in some cases over an hour)

I honestly understand this on an individual family by family basis, but in aggregate this is white flight and a huge part of what got these communities in this situation.

Why can't/shouldn't/isn't it black flight? I don't know cc, but lots and lots of black people leave these terrible areas for much better lives elsewhere. Leaving a bad place for a better place is a constant narrative throughout the history of human success, yet some elements of society promote the idea that "communities" are, or should be static in the sense that they suggest that good jobs, housing, etc should be available to all within the neighborhoods they grew up in. Meanwhile, countless people have to move to find work, affordable housing, etc. Communities grow, thrive, and eventually start to decay, like any biological system.

my response is the same, in my experience, neighbors representing every demographic possible moved away over time as soon as the opportunity presented itself.

I believe those of any color that moved out had the same motivation to protect their families and improve their quality of life, when you see the neighborhood and surrounding areas getting increasingly dangerous, WGN talking about shootings daily, no optimism that things will improve, time to move. If my current city began experiencing these issues, I'd reluctantly pick up and move again and likely the neighbors too.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#44 » by League Circles » Thu May 28, 2020 3:25 pm

gardenofsound wrote:League Circles and GetBuLLish,

I am a UBI skeptic as well. That said, the income comes from somewhere (increased corporate taxes, etc) as a way to offset the savings they make from automating people out of jobs.

Personally I think increasing corporate taxes is an atrocious idea. Lowering them is maybe the only good thing Donald Trump has done. Why would you tax the effective allocation of resources as opposed to personal accumulation and consumption? IMO corporate taxes should be zero. We currently borrow about 1/3 of what we spend at the federal level, which is a crime against future generations IMO, so to me, I'm open to moving spending around, but not increasing it.

Maybe it's the universal aspect I disagree with. I think people whose jobs have been eliminated due to automation/robots/outsourcing--particularly those who have already reached middle age and have spent their entire careers in this field that no longer has jobs for them.

That doesn't really address inner-city violence, though.

That said, UBI may further people's means to purchase narcotics, but that also minimizes the amount of robbery/pawning/prostitution that may happen when destitute people are looking for their next fix.

I also think we're ignoring the fact that a huge portion of the drug sales--particularly heroin--are suburban (white) folks going into the city to get drugs. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1761118/

Crack, not as much, but powder cocaine is still a pretty heavily white/upper-class thing. I've never seen crack at a house party but see cocaine pretty regularly among even my grad school cohort. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4533860/

Heroin has the added demand pipeline of opioid prescriptions getting cut off and addicts looking for their next fix. Anecdotally, a good friend of mine from high school had an emergency appendectomy near the end of junior year. During recovery, he had an on-demand morphine drip and, upon release, was prescribed narcotic painkillers. When the prescription ran out, he was already hooked and slid into heroin. The next few years of his life were not great. He stole from his friends to get drug money until he alienated all of them, went to halfway houses and had a long road to recovery. He's doing very well now, but it got bad.

The demand side of the drug trade has to be solved. Limiting supply only amps up the value of territory/supply with those that do still have supply. Lower demand, and the supply lowers with it because it's just not that valuable anymore.

I'm not sure what the color or home address of buyers has to do with anything.(btw that first link didn't work). FWIW, a lot of the problems we're discussing are very, very much present in suburban and rural areas as well. They're just magnified and worse in bad urban areas due to density.
Draconian drug policy might work when that demand doesn't already exist, but when the demand is rampant, it's a lot more difficult. Not to mention,

League Circles, I do agree that the drug trade is a major reason for the violence we see in Chicago. I do believe there needs to be a multi-pronged approach to addressing it, though.

1. Lower demand for illicit drugs. I suggest that the way to remove the black market component is to legalize and regulate it. Pricing should be cut to where black market incentives are no longer viable. This goes a long way towards helping with #2.

2. Minimize the allure of joining the black market, particularly for minors. We've talked at long length about this, but what it comes down to is giving kids hope that there are safer, respectable ways to make money. To this end, I think raising minimum wage beyond subsistence (which is then subsidized by SNAP and other welfare) should be a big deal. Working at McDonalds, Walgreens, or Walmart should not still leave people struggling with basic costs like housing, food, and healthcare.

3. Healthcare shouldn't be tied to your employer/employment, and should be easily accessible and of high quality regardless of your economic situation. M4A helps a lot here. You're right that a crusty sex ed high school teacher isn't going to be that influential, but a one-on-one conversation with a doctor might be.

4. Free community college education for Associates degrees or vocational certificates, and need based scholarships to public four-year institutions.

5. Student loan breaks/credits for community service. Kids in high risk neighborhoods/situations should be exposed to the possibilities beyond their neighborhood. I think orgs like Big Brothers Big Sisters and Teach for America do wonderful work on this front. This type of altruism should be incentivized, though, otherwise the "haves" tend to not have any interest.

I'll leave this here because I think there's a lot of truth in it:

I'm not sure any country with a big drug problem has ever really tried extremely severe penalties as a way to remedy. When I say severe, I don't mean going back to levels we previously had here. I'm talking about the penalties like they have in Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Indonesia, etc. We can't pretend like that won't drastically, drastically reduce supply or almost eliminate it.

You can't eliminate the black market incentive while simultaneously "regulating" the drug trade. The demand is too strong. If there's virtually any cost to the regulation (there always is), the black market wil step in to fill the gap. That's why people are still buying weed from their dealers after "legalization and regulation" of herb.

I disagree that working jobs such as you mention has to mean that you will struggle with basics like housing, food and healthcare. I believe, more frequently, that incurring unnecessary debt, insisting on living in a high cost area (all of Chicago), having children that aren't affordable, living beyond means, and taking poor care of one's body lead to such struggles. I think too often, the role of the individual in their struggles is ignored. And I think pop culture puts an absolutely terrible, unrealistic and ill advised picture out there to young people of what their lives should look like. It's disgusting frankly.

I agree healthcare shouldn't be tied to employment, but is it anymore with ACA? Also, is anyone really killing each other over medical expenses? Idk, probably rare IMO.

It may be different in IL because I didn't grow up here, but community college is already pretty darn affordable, especially when you consider federal loans. I'm not really sure I buy the notion that it's beyond the economic reach of anyone who didn't already make a lot of mistakes that they now have to pay for. We already have lots of means based scholarships in this country. Besides, college education is hardly a blanket good choice economically these days IMO.
gardenofsound
Starter
And1: 1,780

Post#45 » by gardenofsound » Thu May 28, 2020 3:37 pm

League Circles wrote:
gardenofsound wrote:League Circles and GetBuLLish,

I am a UBI skeptic as well. That said, the income comes from somewhere (increased corporate taxes, etc) as a way to offset the savings they make from automating people out of jobs.

Personally I think increasing corporate taxes is an atrocious idea. Lowering them is maybe the only good thing Donald Trump has done. Why would you tax the effective allocation of resources as opposed to personal accumulation and consumption? IMO corporate taxes should be zero. We currently borrow about 1/3 of what we spend at the federal level, which is a crime against future generations IMO, so to me, I'm open to moving spending around, but not increasing it.

Maybe it's the universal aspect I disagree with. I think people whose jobs have been eliminated due to automation/robots/outsourcing--particularly those who have already reached middle age and have spent their entire careers in this field that no longer has jobs for them.

That doesn't really address inner-city violence, though.

That said, UBI may further people's means to purchase narcotics, but that also minimizes the amount of robbery/pawning/prostitution that may happen when destitute people are looking for their next fix.

I also think we're ignoring the fact that a huge portion of the drug sales--particularly heroin--are suburban (white) folks going into the city to get drugs. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1761118/

Crack, not as much, but powder cocaine is still a pretty heavily white/upper-class thing. I've never seen crack at a house party but see cocaine pretty regularly among even my grad school cohort. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4533860/

Heroin has the added demand pipeline of opioid prescriptions getting cut off and addicts looking for their next fix. Anecdotally, a good friend of mine from high school had an emergency appendectomy near the end of junior year. During recovery, he had an on-demand morphine drip and, upon release, was prescribed narcotic painkillers. When the prescription ran out, he was already hooked and slid into heroin. The next few years of his life were not great. He stole from his friends to get drug money until he alienated all of them, went to halfway houses and had a long road to recovery. He's doing very well now, but it got bad.

The demand side of the drug trade has to be solved. Limiting supply only amps up the value of territory/supply with those that do still have supply. Lower demand, and the supply lowers with it because it's just not that valuable anymore.

I'm not sure what the color or home address of buyers has to do with anything.(btw that first link didn't work). FWIW, a lot of the problems we're discussing are very, very much present in suburban and rural areas as well. They're just magnified and worse in bad urban areas due to density.
Draconian drug policy might work when that demand doesn't already exist, but when the demand is rampant, it's a lot more difficult. Not to mention,

League Circles, I do agree that the drug trade is a major reason for the violence we see in Chicago. I do believe there needs to be a multi-pronged approach to addressing it, though.

1. Lower demand for illicit drugs. I suggest that the way to remove the black market component is to legalize and regulate it. Pricing should be cut to where black market incentives are no longer viable. This goes a long way towards helping with #2.

2. Minimize the allure of joining the black market, particularly for minors. We've talked at long length about this, but what it comes down to is giving kids hope that there are safer, respectable ways to make money. To this end, I think raising minimum wage beyond subsistence (which is then subsidized by SNAP and other welfare) should be a big deal. Working at McDonalds, Walgreens, or Walmart should not still leave people struggling with basic costs like housing, food, and healthcare.

3. Healthcare shouldn't be tied to your employer/employment, and should be easily accessible and of high quality regardless of your economic situation. M4A helps a lot here. You're right that a crusty sex ed high school teacher isn't going to be that influential, but a one-on-one conversation with a doctor might be.

4. Free community college education for Associates degrees or vocational certificates, and need based scholarships to public four-year institutions.

5. Student loan breaks/credits for community service. Kids in high risk neighborhoods/situations should be exposed to the possibilities beyond their neighborhood. I think orgs like Big Brothers Big Sisters and Teach for America do wonderful work on this front. This type of altruism should be incentivized, though, otherwise the "haves" tend to not have any interest.

I'll leave this here because I think there's a lot of truth in it:

I'm not sure any country with a big drug problem has ever really tried extremely severe penalties as a way to remedy. When I say severe, I don't mean going back to levels we previously had here. I'm talking about the penalties like they have in Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Indonesia, etc. We can't pretend like that won't drastically, drastically reduce supply or almost eliminate it.

You can't eliminate the black market incentive while simultaneously "regulating" the drug trade. The demand is too strong. If there's virtually any cost to the regulation (there always is), the black market wil step in to fill the gap. That's why people are still buying weed from their dealers after "legalization and regulation" of herb.

I disagree that working jobs such as you mention has to mean that you will struggle with basics like housing, food and healthcare. I believe, more frequently, that incurring unnecessary debt, insisting on living in a high cost area (all of Chicago), having children that aren't affordable, living beyond means, and taking poor care of one's body lead to such struggles. I think too often, the role of the individual in their struggles is ignored. And I think pop culture puts an absolutely terrible, unrealistic and ill advised picture out there to young people of what their lives should look like. It's disgusting frankly.

I agree healthcare shouldn't be tied to employment, but is it anymore with ACA? Also, is anyone really killing each other over medical expenses? Idk, probably rare IMO.

It may be different in IL because I didn't grow up here, but community college is already pretty darn affordable, especially when you consider federal loans. I'm not really sure I buy the notion that it's beyond the economic reach of anyone who didn't already make a lot of mistakes that they now have to pay for. We already have lots of means based scholarships in this country. Besides, college education is hardly a blanket good choice economically these days IMO.

My issue with a severe draconian (like it is in the countries you mentioned or, worse, the Philippines) is that these policies would be used as even more of an excuse to victimize black folks. I don't trust the police to be fair here.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#46 » by League Circles » Thu May 28, 2020 3:49 pm

gardenofsound wrote:My issue with a severe draconian (like it is in the countries you mentioned or, worse, the Philippines) is that these policies would be used as even more of an excuse to victimize black folks. I don't trust the police to be fair here.

In the same way you don't trust police, many don't trust the government to justly administer these massive social welfare programs you allude to.

I agree with the implication that our criminal justice system needs various reforms, for sure. I used to work in criminal legal defense so it definitely has my attention. That said, I believe there are policy changes that would greatly improve the strength of our judicial and law enforcement systems. I don't believe in just forever projecting a major, maybe THE major function of government to be unjust and incompetent.

Not sure how increased penalties automatically equates to "victimization" in your mind. Are you suggesting that more innocent people will be imprisoned due to harsher penalities? I don't see that as a logical consequence tbh.

Imagine, for example, everything policy wise stays the exact same as it is now, but instead of, idk, getting a 5 year sentence for something, you get the death penalty. Now, I've been against the death penalty for most of my adult life, but IMO it would have the potential to have some serious positive outcomes that should be considered and discussed.

How exactly would this singular change victimize black people, in your mind? Is the idea that cops are inherently racist and thus want black people killed and thus will bend more investigative rules to try to get the gas chamber for more people? I'm just trying to understand.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,431

Post#47 » by Susan » Thu May 28, 2020 3:54 pm

League Circles wrote:
Susan wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
No tolerance policy for gang activity. This will probably anger some people, but lock them all up and put the worst offenders down like dogs. They will never change. The need for revenge is an unsolvable situation.

If they could all kill each other fast enough that would work, but they don't and there is always another ready to step up and get payback. Plus innocents get killed in this mess. I have no sympathy for anyone doing this evil ****.

This post is trash. They're humans in a **** **** situation. Seeing them as dogs is evil in itself.

I haven't followed the Floyd case closely. Are you suggesting he was a murderous gangster? Because those are the people he seems to be talking about. A murderer is just a person in a bad situation????

Nobody should be referred to as a **** dog.

I'm suggesting he got murdered like a dog. Put down like a dog. Using language like what WindyCityBorn is unacceptable.
gardenofsound
Starter

Post#48 » by gardenofsound » Thu May 28, 2020 3:59 pm

Ccwatercraft wrote:
League Circles wrote:
gardenofsound wrote:

Why can't/shouldn't/isn't it black flight? I don't know cc, but lots and lots of black people leave these terrible areas for much better lives elsewhere. Leaving a bad place for a better place is a constant narrative throughout the history of human success, yet some elements of society promote the idea that "communities" are, or should be static in the sense that they suggest that good jobs, housing, etc should be available to all within the neighborhoods they grew up in. Meanwhile, countless people have to move to find work, affordable housing, etc. Communities grow, thrive, and eventually start to decay, like any biological system.

my response is the same, in my experience, neighbors representing every demographic possible moved away over time as soon as the opportunity presented itself.

I totally agree with you.

A lot of the white flight that started the process of everyone wanting to move out probably happened before you were born (certainly before I was born).

Now everyone wants to get out of Austin, but moving to the suburbs isn't just cut and dry. You need a car if you're going to live in the (affordable) suburbs... that costs money. You need a job that will allow you to make your car payment and pay for food, housing, etc.

It's not so easy to pick up and move when you've got no money.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#49 » by League Circles » Thu May 28, 2020 4:04 pm

Susan wrote:
League Circles wrote:
Susan wrote:

Nobody should be referred to as a **** dog.

I'm suggesting he got murdered like a dog. Put down like a dog. Using language like what WindyCityBorn is unacceptable.

I'm much more forgiving and understanding than most, but I think it's OK to call murderers dogs. I don't think windy was suggesting that all instances of people being out down like dogs are justified at all. Sounds like maybe those particular cops are among the dogs. Would it be OK to just call them "incredibly selfish, immoral citizens"? Or are they indeed just people in a bad situation? Were the cops (dogs) also just people in a bad situation?
gardenofsound
Starter

Post#50 » by gardenofsound » Thu May 28, 2020 4:05 pm

League Circles wrote:
gardenofsound wrote:My issue with a severe draconian (like it is in the countries you mentioned or, worse, the Philippines) is that these policies would be used as even more of an excuse to victimize black folks. I don't trust the police to be fair here.

In the same way you don't trust police, many don't trust the government to justly administer these massive social welfare programs you allude to.

I agree with the implication that our criminal justice system needs various reforms, for sure. I used to work in criminal legal defense so it definitely has my attention. That said, I believe there are policy changes that would greatly improve the strength of our judicial and law enforcement systems. I don't believe in just forever projecting a major, maybe THE major function of government to be unjust and incompetent.

Not sure how increased penalties automatically equates to "victimization" in your mind. Are you suggesting that more innocent people will be imprisoned due to harsher penalities? I don't see that as a logical consequence tbh.

Imagine, for example, everything policy wise stays the exact same as it is now, but instead of, idk, getting a 5 year sentence for something, you get the death penalty. Now, I've been against the death penalty for most of my adult life, but IMO it would have the potential to have some serious positive outcomes that should be considered and discussed.

How exactly would this singular change victimize black people, in your mind? Is the idea that cops are inherently racist and thus want black people killed and thus will bend more investigative rules to try to get the gas chamber for more people? I'm just trying to understand.

If powder cocaine possession were enforced and prosecuted in the same way crack cocaine is, I'd believe you. But it isn't.

Are cops inherently racist? Maybe not. But I think a lot of police processes and training are inherently racist, and prejudice is a real thing. There have been enough cops killing black folks without a good reason that giving them a good reason is like giving whiskey to an alcoholic.

I'm not white. I've been the passenger in cars driven by white people when they've gotten pulled over for speeding. I've also been pulled over for speeding.

The way I'm spoken to is as lot different than the way my white friends are spoken to. "You speak English, boy?" is a literal thing I've had asked. With my (white) wife and daughter in the car with me.

And I'm not even black.

And you're seriously suggesting the death penalty for drug possession?
League Circles
RealGM

Post#51 » by League Circles » Thu May 28, 2020 4:09 pm

gardenofsound wrote:

A lot of the white flight that started the process of everyone wanting to move out probably happened before you were born (certainly before I was born).

Now everyone wants to get out of Austin, but moving to the suburbs isn't just cut and dry. You need a car if you're going to live in the (affordable) suburbs... that costs money. You need a job that will allow you to make your car payment and pay for food, housing, etc.

It's not at all true that you need a car to live in the suburbs. There are lots and lots of alternatives. Busses, trains, biking, walking etc.

EDIT: IMO this is yet another way that we've brainwashed ourselves into presumptions about standard of living which mostly all stem from an incredible abuse of personal, and government debt. Visiting poor people in poor countries has a way of really opening perspectives on stuff like this IMO. As does considering norms of the very recent past.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#52 » by League Circles » Thu May 28, 2020 4:23 pm

gardenofsound wrote:If powder cocaine possession were enforced and prosecuted in the same way crack cocaine is, I'd believe you. But it isn't.

Believe me on what? Is there any possible reason you can conceive of that is valid, and not racist, for a discrepancy in penalties for these two forms?

Are cops inherently racist? Maybe not. But I think a lot of police processes and training are inherently racist, and prejudice is a real thing. There have been enough cops killing black folks without a good reason that giving them a good reason is like giving whiskey to an alcoholic.

So.... Cops also maybe ARE inherently racist? All of them or just the white ones? What exact processes and training are inherently racist and why? I agree prejudice is a real thing. Studies by prominent black academics have revealed no racial discrepancies with regard to lethal police force FWIW (though I'm not suggesting that racism in police work is particularly rare or that it's a minor problem - just correcting a common myth).

And you're seriously suggesting the death penalty for drug possession?

I'm not particularly suggesting it, I'm suggesting that it's the most blatantly obvious likely solution to the enormous substance problem in this country, and that we're being intellectually disengenuous if we don't consider that probability, or act like it's not possible. And that if we don't do something like that, we'll probably be perpetually suffering from the incredibly extensive societal ills associated with it, including violence. I'm trying to identify the tradeoffs for those who ignore them. I actually happen to be largely a libertarian haha.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach

Post#53 » by Ccwatercraft » Thu May 28, 2020 5:29 pm

gardenofsound wrote:
Ccwatercraft wrote:
League Circles wrote:Why can't/shouldn't/isn't it black flight? I don't know cc, but lots and lots of black people leave these terrible areas for much better lives elsewhere. Leaving a bad place for a better place is a constant narrative throughout the history of human success, yet some elements of society promote the idea that "communities" are, or should be static in the sense that they suggest that good jobs, housing, etc should be available to all within the neighborhoods they grew up in. Meanwhile, countless people have to move to find work, affordable housing, etc. Communities grow, thrive, and eventually start to decay, like any biological system.

never meant to imply that it is supposed to be easy, I remember at first the 6 of us living almost a year in a relatives basement down in Plainfield, getting OUT of Chicago was the #1 priority, it certainly wasn't a cake walk and didn't happen on a whim.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#54 » by League Circles » Thu May 28, 2020 5:37 pm

Ccwatercraft wrote:never meant to imply that it is supposed to be easy, I remember at first the 6 of us living almost a year in a relatives basement down in Plainfield, getting OUT of Chicago was the #1 priority, it certainly wasn't a cake walk and didn't happen on a whim.

Exactly. Life is hard, we need to stop with the public belief that a great life is supposed to be laid out for us. Nature is unforgiving.

This country was built by people leaving everything behind, by choice or force, to leave worse places generally. But we should pretend that modern day people won't ever need to move 100 miles or whatever? It sucks. It's painful. But it's among the best solutions for individuals, even poor ones.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#55 » by MrSparkle » Thu May 28, 2020 7:58 pm

Since it's a Chicago post, I'll keep it to Chicago.

I applaud CPD for reform in their training, spot-cameras. It is still a long way away.

Southside politics need more intellectual leadership (as do Northside).

Indiana is southside Chicago. State-spillover.

Chicago drug war needs to end. Pot is legal and it's still a mess. De-criminalize all drugs. Stop trying to make money off the private sector once it's legalized. This state's business plan for legal Marijuana is a ****ing joke. They used it to attempt to fund the pension and debt hole. Prices with taxes are up to 10x more than street prices. They're CRAZY. Of course gang-trade is going to be more profitable and active than ever.

Education and jobs need to be injected into the southside. Injected. Free. Pushed. With incentives. Yeah, I know - Chicago is in position, but math, science, literature, history, music and technical/trade schooling for K-14 need extra-curricular investment.

Pritzer and Lightfoot have a lot of crap on their plate, but they are also doing a lame-duck job with other issues at hand. They ran for office during tough times, they are not playing chess with any of this reform. Status quo isn't gonna fix anything.

Other than that? Yeah. Lot of death in Chicago. Just like every week. It's sad and screwed up. But it's out of our hands. You can throw more police into those neighborhoods, it's just gonna perpetuate the problem. Why don't they legislate with a long-term goal ? The city and state are 1 party with majority. Very poor and unthoughtful social policy standards if you ask me.

This decision to safe-guard all pensions and infrastructure budgets while paying for it with marijuana, taxes and casinos was a mistake.

Yeah. Next to nothing about the murders. It's sad and tragic. I feel like it's all rooted in a lack of long-term thinking legislation. You can't snap a finger and fix it. Yet no one elected into office goes ahead and effectively pushes legislation that attempts to fix it. The best they can do is endorse a Whole Foods market built in Englewood. Pretty pathetic.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,431

Post#56 » by Susan » Thu May 28, 2020 9:24 pm

MrSparkle wrote:Since it's a Chicago post, I'll keep it to Chicago.

I applaud CPD for reform in their training, spot-cameras. It is still a long way away.

Southside politics need more intellectual leadership (as do Northside).

Indiana is southside Chicago. State-spillover.

Chicago drug war needs to end. Pot is legal and it's still a mess. De-criminalize all drugs. Stop trying to make money off the private sector once it's legalized. This state's business plan for legal Marijuana is a ****ing joke. They used it to attempt to fund the pension and debt hole. Prices with taxes are up to 10x more than street prices. They're CRAZY. Of course gang-trade is going to be more profitable and active than ever.

Education and jobs need to be injected into the southside. Injected. Free. Pushed. With incentives. Yeah, I know - Chicago is in position, but math, science, literature, history, music and technical/trade schooling for K-14 need extra-curricular investment.

Pritzer and Lightfoot have a lot of crap on their plate, but they are also doing a lame-duck job with other issues at hand. They ran for office during tough times, they are not playing chess with any of this reform. Status quo isn't gonna fix anything.

Other than that? Yeah. Lot of death in Chicago. Just like every week. It's sad and screwed up. But it's out of our hands. You can throw more police into those neighborhoods, it's just gonna perpetuate the problem. Why don't they legislate with a long-term goal ? The city and state are 1 party with majority. Very poor and unthoughtful social policy standards if you ask me.

This decision to safe-guard all pensions and infrastructure budgets while paying for it with marijuana, taxes and casinos was a mistake.

Yeah. Next to nothing about the murders. It's sad and tragic. I feel like it's all rooted in a lack of long-term thinking legislation. You can't snap a finger and fix it. Yet no one elected into office goes ahead and effectively pushes legislation that attempts to fix it. The best they can do is endorse a Whole Foods market built in Englewood. Pretty pathetic.

Appreciate ya.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#57 » by Dominator83 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:37 pm

dice wrote:
Shill wrote:
HINrichPolice wrote:The fear and power struggle that permeates our toughest neighborhoods is a result of people not feeling secure and stable. And that fear and need for power to survive leads to shootings and murders.

From my point of view, one of the most effective ways to get at the root of the many things that lead to these shootings is to provide people with a path towards stability.

With the way the economy was even before the pandemic (and please don't get me started on misleading unemployment numbers and GDP), we have so many people struggling to get by month to month.

Universal Basic Income would have dramatic effects on so many of the root issues that lead to these acts of violence.

Sure, having money doesn't solve everything, but having money makes everything easier to solve. Additionally, poverty isn't a result of one's character, it's a result of not having money.

There are many many reasons we can point to for the domino effect of events that lead up to things like "Chicago sees deadliest Memorial Day weekend in four years", but we need to start by addressing root problems. And root problems would be easier to solve if everyone had a Universal Basic Income.

I think UBI is an interesting proposal, but I'm skeptical.

The negative income tax—a similar idea—was tried in the 1970s as a pilot program, and it lowered labor force participation even though the people drawing the benefit knew their assistance wouldn't be affected by getting a job.

only in america is a lower labor force participation seen as a fundamental problem. particularly when weighed against the virtual elimination of poverty

if a company can't/won't pay enough to entice ANYBODY to lead something more than a subsistence lifestyle, that company would naturally fail

apparently the effect of those experiments in the '70s seemed to show that the only effect on the labor force was that unemployed people (those LOOKING for work) stayed unemployed longer. obviously because they no longer had as much incentive to take, say, a minimum wage job. that's more an indicator of personal ambition than laziness. and, in fact, the reduction in labor participation was offset by increased educational pursuits. additionally, pilot programs with only a few thousand participants do not significantly change the job market itself (employers do not have to adjust their hiring practices/compensation levels in response)

https://www.vox.com/2014/7/23/5925041/guaranteed-income-basic-poverty-gobry-labor-supply

UBI was also tried in Finland, and it was scrapped.

very flawed program/study:

https://www.businessinsider.com/finland-basic-income-experiment-reasons-for-failure-2019-12

I think UBI could potentially create more problems than it solves, but it's an interesting idea.

That said, I don't know if it will fix the problems in Chicago.

As I mentioned before, the dramatic shift in culture has had a lot of downstream effects.

Also, the people committing acts of violence are a very small percentage, but they create a lot of chaos. I don't think they will be persuaded out of the gang life because of a $1,000 monthly stipend.

That's chump change compared to what you can make on the street.

it would certainly have a long-term effect on inner-city violence. a lot more kids would be raised in stable economic circumstances. gangs get 'em early

Most gangbangers already get a monthly stipend. They're called welfare/SSI checks. Taxpayers pay for their lifestyles. A UBI won't change a thing
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#58 » by Dominator83 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:59 pm

Susan wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
2018C3 wrote:Chicago sees deadliest Memorial Day weekend in four years with 10 killed and 39 injured in shootings.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/25/us/chicago-memorial-day-deaths/index.html

Why,and how can this nonsense be stopped? I do not have answers. Whats the real problem we have locally, and what can be done to stop it?

I don't think George Floyd fits the description of the type of people he was referring to.

And lots of people are in **** situations, doesn't mean they have to resort to living their lives as a**holes and make it miserable for everyone around them.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#59 » by 2018C3 » Thu May 28, 2020 10:24 pm

My cousins husband volunteers time in a inner city mentor-ship program. I think it might be this one, but I'm not sure.

Big Brothers Big Sisters of Metropolitan Chicago
https://bbbschgo.org/about/

I know he sponsors a young boy, and makes himself available to provide advice and guidance. It is something he is very passionate about.

The city probably needs more programs like this.

My Sister also majored in Spanish and though her college was able to study abroad in Mexico city for a semester. After college she took a job teaching English to Spanish speaking students. It was something she really enjoyed, but had to leave the job once she had twins.
HINrichPolice
General Manager
And1: 1,706

Post#60 » by HINrichPolice » Thu May 28, 2020 10:50 pm

Shill wrote:
HINrichPolice wrote:The fear and power struggle that permeates our toughest neighborhoods is a result of people not feeling secure and stable. And that fear and need for power to survive leads to shootings and murders.

From my point of view, one of the most effective ways to get at the root of the many things that lead to these shootings is to provide people with a path towards stability.

With the way the economy was even before the pandemic (and please don't get me started on misleading unemployment numbers and GDP), we have so many people struggling to get by month to month.

Universal Basic Income would have dramatic effects on so many of the root issues that lead to these acts of violence.

Sure, having money doesn't solve everything, but having money makes everything easier to solve. Additionally, poverty isn't a result of one's character, it's a result of not having money.

There are many many reasons we can point to for the domino effect of events that lead up to things like "Chicago sees deadliest Memorial Day weekend in four years", but we need to start by addressing root problems. And root problems would be easier to solve if everyone had a Universal Basic Income.

I think UBI is an interesting proposal, but I'm skeptical.

The negative income tax—a similar idea—was tried in the 1970s as a pilot program, and it lowered labor force participation even though the people drawing the benefit knew their assistance wouldn't be affected by getting a job.

UBI was also tried in Finland, and it was scrapped.

I think UBI could potentially create more problems than it solves, but it's an interesting idea.

That said, I don't know if it will fix the problems in Chicago.

As I mentioned before, the dramatic shift in culture has had a lot of downstream effects.

Also, the people committing acts of violence are a very small percentage, but they create a lot of chaos. I don't think they will be persuaded out of the gang life because of a $1,000 monthly stipend.

That's chump change compared to what you can make on the street.

I think you'd find the information/research here very interesting and helpful.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BasicIncome/wiki/index#wiki_that.27s_all_very_well.2C_but_where.27s_the_evidence.3F
CONTENDERS FIND A WAY

Return to Chicago Bulls