Image ImageImage Image

Adjusted Shooting Stats - Bulls Review

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,847

Adjusted Shooting Stats - Bulls Review 

Post#1 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Jun 2, 2020 5:12 pm

Basketball Reference rolled out a new section of stats for Adjusted shooting. Basically let's you see where players are efficient/inefficient. Also has a points added stat which aggregate the overall effect for the season a player had with their possessions.

Link: https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/2020.html#adj-shooting

Takeaways

- Not a very rosy picture at all. Lavine is a decent volume scorer but other than that our perimeter guys are wretched.

- Coby White was one of the worst in the league by the points added stats.

- Denzel NEVER gets to the line. Makes it tough to be efficient when you're that far below average.

- Dunn will always be a negative offensively. Can't be below league average at getting to the line and taking 3's. Recipe for failure.

- Thad Young was a colossal failure of a signing. Guy sucked for us.

- Gafford really should have played more

- Markkanen just not that efficient (in any of his years even before Boylen). If he can't score efficiently, not really sure what his value is supposed to be.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,075

Re: Adjusted Shooting Stats - Bulls Review 

Post#2 » by MrSparkle » Tue Jun 2, 2020 5:31 pm

Great stuff.

Just browsed through a few years. Jimmy and Niko were basically the only consistent efficient scorers since 2015. Jimmy’s jump from 13/14 to 14/15 really was one of the craziest flips ever, in regards to shooting (TS from -30 to +100), although his actual FG efficiency wasn't as good probably due to taking a lot of shots in iso.

I will say, Sato and Thad cratered from last year in these categories. I strongly believe Boylen was to blame for the radically bad numbers. I don’t expect these guys to become the Warriors, but I do think Coby, Lauri and Zach ought to be able to bump these adjusted shooting stats in a good offensive system. The numbers are really tied to team performance. Curry had a small sample size but he was negative for the year (compared to whopping high numbers in prior seasons).
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,847

Post#3 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Jun 2, 2020 5:35 pm

Another minor observation, Nwaba is probably one of the best players that we acquired during the rebuild. Faint praise to be sure, but probably still a true statement.

Sucks he got injured. Also sucks we let him walk for basically nothing.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,075

Post#4 » by MrSparkle » Tue Jun 2, 2020 5:40 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:Another minor observation, Nwaba is probably one of the best players that we acquired during the rebuild. Faint praise to be sure, but probably still a true statement.

Sucks he got injured. Also sucks we let him walk for basically nothing.

He was. I get the reluctance of grabbing players with poor shooting, but I don't see the harm in defensive wing depth. Injury aside, Nwaba could defend every position, rebound and finish on the break. Like a young Mo Harkless or young Ronnie Brewer, I still see the value in those guys. Obviously wouldn't overpay, but he still hit the bargain bin before the injury.

These numbers also suggest that Niko and Portis were basically better than Lauri. Which is very concerning.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,545

Post#5 » by PaKii94 » Wed Jun 3, 2020 2:21 am

- Hutch has an impressive FTr. That bodes well if he can stay healthy
TeamMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 554

Post#6 » by TeamMan » Wed Jun 3, 2020 11:06 am

This thread actually brings back some very bad memories about the Gar/Pax years.

In the beginning they had the advantage of taking over a losing team and getting some very good draft picks.

Then they got lucky in the lotto and got Rose and had their only moment of glory that was quickly dismantled for the sake of the Lux Tax.

So, even before Rose's injury, they had already peaked and had started their long downhill journey.

[But what is the point you may ask?]

In point of fact, I always thought that Pax was a true genius in judging talent, especially in cases where players were on the fringe in terms of being a major NBA talent, but still had the skills to make a major contribution with a mediocre team like the Bulls.

But at the same time, Gar/Pax were focused on building a crazy loyalty from their players that caused them to make some major mistakes when it came to trades.

Anyway, we don't have a NBA Superstar on the team. Everyone knows that. But we do have enough good players that the new FO should be able to put together some good trades.

We will see how it works out.
khufure
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Post#7 » by khufure » Wed Jun 3, 2020 2:45 pm

PaKii94 wrote:- Hutch has an impressive FTr. That bodes well if he can stay healthy

That's a big ask. Dude can't stay healthy.

... Maybe now that we have a new medical staff?
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,545

Post#8 » by PaKii94 » Wed Jun 3, 2020 3:08 pm

khufure wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:- Hutch has an impressive FTr. That bodes well if he can stay healthy

Fingers crossed man. Coby got lucky. All our other draft picks have been injured and missed multiple games (Hutch, WCJ, Lauri)
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#9 » by drosereturn » Wed Jun 3, 2020 3:40 pm

khufure wrote:

Hutch is just injury prone along with Carter and has nothing to do with staff.
I am not going to get my hope up for 3 yrs in a row when its the same boring result fed up literally.
Also the good ftr is already mitigated by his horrible shooting which is a requirement for 3 and D.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,261

Post#10 » by kodo » Thu Jun 4, 2020 3:30 am

Lauri's overall season TS% efficiency is fine for a scorer at his age and difficulty of the role, which is one of primary 3 point threats. Tatum & Mitchell shoot the same efficiency. They're star players because they create more of their shots unlike Lauri, but efficiency wise they're all the same.

Lauri had a very binary season. The start was horrible but after Dec 1st, he averaged above 60% TS for more than half the season. I think the big question is whether this multi-month slump is a thing that can happen again with him or was it just a fluke and storm of bad circumstances & player development.

Markkanen is pretty low on my list of major issues w/ the Bulls offense, because he hits 3s at a decent rate, finishes near the rim at a good rate.

By far the biggest reason our offense was putrid this year was because we are the worst team at the rim in the league (tied w/ the Hornets) and we took the most % of our shots at the rim of any team. Our offense was built on the taking the team's biggest weakness and doing it over & over again more than anything else.

Return to Chicago Bulls