Image ImageImage Image

Favorite Bull of 2010's

Moderators: HomoSapien, dougthonus, kulaz3000, fleet, RedBulls23, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , AshyLarrysDiaper, GimmeDat, DASMACKDOWN, Payt10

Favorite Bull of 2010's

1-Rose
21
27%
2-Butler
16
21%
3-Noah
29
38%
4-Deng
4
5%
5-Taj
3
4%
6-Lavine
1
1%
7-Gasol
0
No votes
8-Felicio
1
1%
9-None
1
1%
10-other
1
1%
 
Total votes: 77

User avatar
TheStig
RealGM
Posts: 12,587
And1: 2,979
Joined: Jun 18, 2004
Location: Get rid of GarPaxDorf

Re: Favorite Bull of 2010's 

Post#21 » by TheStig » Mon Jun 8, 2020 5:16 am

DuckIII wrote:
chitownsalesmen wrote:Rose brought the bulls to their highest highs of the decade and their lowest of lows.


This shouldn't even be a question...


Outside of maybe a small number of Jimmy fans, I think if the poll was asking for the “best” player, Rose would get virtually every vote.

“Favorite” though is as subjective as it gets and fans will use a wide variety of criteria, both rational and irrational.

Even best is subjective. Are we taking them at their peak or their career? Rose had the MVP year but Jimmy has had the better career and is better now. Jimmy still has a few high level years left and Rose is a 6th man.
User avatar
chitownsalesmen
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,943
And1: 1,217
Joined: Apr 16, 2012

Re: Favorite Bull of 2010's 

Post#22 » by chitownsalesmen » Mon Jun 8, 2020 8:08 am

TheStig wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
chitownsalesmen wrote:Rose brought the bulls to their highest highs of the decade and their lowest of lows.


This shouldn't even be a question...


Outside of maybe a small number of Jimmy fans, I think if the poll was asking for the “best” player, Rose would get virtually every vote.

“Favorite” though is as subjective as it gets and fans will use a wide variety of criteria, both rational and irrational.

Even best is subjective. Are we taking them at their peak or their career? Rose had the MVP year but Jimmy has had the better career and is better now. Jimmy still has a few high level years left and Rose is a 6th man.



I mean I guess but Jimmy was also traded in 2017 so you had 3 all-star seasons for Jimmy and 3 all-star seasons for Derrick but Derrick of-course had the MVP season. I'm taking Derrick overall although Jimmy had a couple of all-nba defensive teams aswell and is the only contender for best bull of the decade.

But again even in terms of subjective everyone is entitled to their own opnion I just don't see how anyone favors another player other then the home town kid who became the youngest MVP in nba history. Feel free to like Taj Gibson's toughness and hustle or Kirk Hinrich's thrust I'm just saying I do not understand preferring those guys to the Chicago Royalty that Derrick Rose is.
You either pimping the system, or gettin' pimped by the system.
We don't want a piece of the pie we want control of the kitchen.
troza
Sophomore
Posts: 208
And1: 49
Joined: Aug 19, 2011
   

Re: Favorite Bull of 2010's 

Post#23 » by troza » Mon Jun 8, 2020 8:32 am

There wasn't more excitment about the Bulls than when Rose was having those amazing seasons. Not Jimmy Butler, not Noah...

So for me it is Rose. I feel that the others were noticed at that time mainly because of the levels Rose brough us (like Noah) or they were Rose substitutes with less success but in a time where we fans believed in our team.
samwana
General Manager
Posts: 8,963
And1: 1,943
Joined: Jul 24, 2002
Location: Munich (Germany)
 

Re: Favorite Bull of 2010's 

Post#24 » by samwana » Mon Jun 8, 2020 10:12 am

I don't care how good Rose was, Joakim will be my favorite from this decade forever, maybe even my favorite Bulls player ever...

Sent from my POT-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
Why support #FireGar??

this is why
User avatar
ImSlower
Analyst
Posts: 3,479
And1: 3,162
Joined: Jan 06, 2011
Location: STL
   

Re: Favorite Bull of 2010's 

Post#25 » by ImSlower » Mon Jun 8, 2020 6:24 pm

The Athletic just put up a nice article about Noah's joining the Clippers. I'll be rooting for the Clippers solely because of him. Well, that and dearly wanting them to eliminate the LeBrons.

https://theathletic.com/1844238/2020/06/08/im-as-ready-as-can-be-joakim-noah-earns-one-last-title-shot-with-clippers/

I won't clip a whole paywall article, but here's some nice quotes:

Spoiler:
“I think it’s just it’s all about perspective and how you look at it,” Noah told The Athletic last week over the phone. “Even though it was a setback, I think it also makes me appreciate the opportunity that much more, you know?”


During his rehab, Noah says he consistently reached out to two of his former coaches, Tom Thibodeau, who coached Noah in Chicago from 2010 to 2015, and Billy Donovan, who coached Noah at the University of Florida from 2004 to 2007. He asked Thibodeau and Donovan to contact Clippers personnel and try to convince them he would be a worthwhile addition.


When Noah touched down at Los Angeles International Airport in early March, he was welcomed by an unexpected visitor. Frank was waiting to pick up Noah after his six-hour flight from New York. Noah was surprised by the gesture for a player signing a 10-day contract.

“I just thought that was a real classy move,” Noah said.


“The way I look at it is I know that I’m in an environment right now with a winning culture and a team that’s really trying to win a championship and there’s not much more I could ask for,” Noah said. “Regardless of what my role is, I’m grateful. I know I’m as ready as I can be. So it’s not about comparing myself to past years or even last year, it’s just being the best that I can be physically and using my experience to be there for the guys.”


During the hiatus, Noah bounced between Santa Monica and Malibu before settling in Malibu, where he lives with his fiancé and her son. He trains with one of the sports world’s super couples, surfer Laird Hamilton and professional volleyball player Gabrielle Reece, as well as friends like rugby player Danny Cipriani.


There isn't another player in the league I'd rather kick it for a day with.
User avatar
Showtime23
Veteran
Posts: 2,991
And1: 914
Joined: Oct 12, 2018

Re: Favorite Bull of 2010's 

Post#26 » by Showtime23 » Mon Jun 8, 2020 6:38 pm

troza wrote:There wasn't more excitment about the Bulls than when Rose was having those amazing seasons. Not Jimmy Butler, not Noah...

So for me it is Rose. I feel that the others were noticed at that time mainly because of the levels Rose brough us (like Noah) or they were Rose substitutes with less success but in a time where we fans believed in our team.


YA. Without Rose, wouldnt have followed Bulls that extensively. gave hope to milions of new fans.
User avatar
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 27,903
And1: 16,209
Joined: Aug 17, 2009
 

Re: Favorite Bull of 2010's 

Post#27 » by HomoSapien » Mon Jun 8, 2020 10:13 pm

I think it's Jimmy, but on any given day it could be him, Taj, or Joakim.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
User avatar
TheStig
RealGM
Posts: 12,587
And1: 2,979
Joined: Jun 18, 2004
Location: Get rid of GarPaxDorf

Re: Favorite Bull of 2010's 

Post#28 » by TheStig » Tue Jun 9, 2020 5:31 am

chitownsalesmen wrote:
TheStig wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
Outside of maybe a small number of Jimmy fans, I think if the poll was asking for the “best” player, Rose would get virtually every vote.

“Favorite” though is as subjective as it gets and fans will use a wide variety of criteria, both rational and irrational.

Even best is subjective. Are we taking them at their peak or their career? Rose had the MVP year but Jimmy has had the better career and is better now. Jimmy still has a few high level years left and Rose is a 6th man.



I mean I guess but Jimmy was also traded in 2017 so you had 3 all-star seasons for Jimmy and 3 all-star seasons for Derrick but Derrick of-course had the MVP season. I'm taking Derrick overall although Jimmy had a couple of all-nba defensive teams aswell and is the only contender for best bull of the decade.

But again even in terms of subjective everyone is entitled to their own opnion I just don't see how anyone favors another player other then the home town kid who became the youngest MVP in nba history. Feel free to like Taj Gibson's toughness and hustle or Kirk Hinrich's thrust I'm just saying I do not understand preferring those guys to the Chicago Royalty that Derrick Rose is.

Ah I was looking at it overall career, not just Bull.
dice
RealGM
Posts: 36,420
And1: 9,696
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Location: chicago

Re: Favorite Bull of 2010's 

Post#29 » by dice » Tue Jun 9, 2020 6:35 am

ImSlower wrote:The Athletic just put up a nice article about Noah's joining the Clippers. I'll be rooting for the Clippers solely because of him. Well, that and dearly wanting them to eliminate the LeBrons.

https://theathletic.com/1844238/2020/06/08/im-as-ready-as-can-be-joakim-noah-earns-one-last-title-shot-with-clippers/

I won't clip a whole paywall article, but here's some nice quotes:

Spoiler:
“I think it’s just it’s all about perspective and how you look at it,” Noah told The Athletic last week over the phone. “Even though it was a setback, I think it also makes me appreciate the opportunity that much more, you know?”


During his rehab, Noah says he consistently reached out to two of his former coaches, Tom Thibodeau, who coached Noah in Chicago from 2010 to 2015, and Billy Donovan, who coached Noah at the University of Florida from 2004 to 2007. He asked Thibodeau and Donovan to contact Clippers personnel and try to convince them he would be a worthwhile addition.


When Noah touched down at Los Angeles International Airport in early March, he was welcomed by an unexpected visitor. Frank was waiting to pick up Noah after his six-hour flight from New York. Noah was surprised by the gesture for a player signing a 10-day contract.

“I just thought that was a real classy move,” Noah said.


“The way I look at it is I know that I’m in an environment right now with a winning culture and a team that’s really trying to win a championship and there’s not much more I could ask for,” Noah said. “Regardless of what my role is, I’m grateful. I know I’m as ready as I can be. So it’s not about comparing myself to past years or even last year, it’s just being the best that I can be physically and using my experience to be there for the guys.”


During the hiatus, Noah bounced between Santa Monica and Malibu before settling in Malibu, where he lives with his fiancé and her son. He trains with one of the sports world’s super couples, surfer Laird Hamilton and professional volleyball player Gabrielle Reece, as well as friends like rugby player Danny Cipriani.


There isn't another player in the league I'd rather kick it for a day with.

i suppose that i'll root for the clippers 'cause of both joakim and wanting the lakers to lose, but after they face the lakers i'll be back to not caring. it'd be cool if joakim made significant contribution and got a chip for it, though

the 2012-2013 season would not have been worth watching if not for him

by the way, are they seeding 1-16 and disregarding conferences for the playoffs or not? i've seen nothing on it
"all those muscles ain't gonna help you tonight. i'm gonna bust you up" - larry bird to rookie anthony mason before going for 29/18/11
JordansBulls
RealGM
Posts: 58,475
And1: 4,211
Joined: Jul 12, 2006
Location: HCA (Homecourt Advantage)

Re: Favorite Bull of 2010's 

Post#30 » by JordansBulls » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:29 pm

Dwyane Wade
Image
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
2018C3
Junior
Posts: 399
And1: 260
Joined: Jul 14, 2018
   

Re: Favorite Bull of 2010's 

Post#31 » by 2018C3 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:27 am

Jimmy first by a large Margin, followed by Deng, and then Taj.

I can see why some people pick Noah, but I never perceived him myself to be a hard worker. More or less a guy who exhibited lots of effort on game day. From what I remember he typically started seasons slow, and got going later in the season.

Out of all the guys on the list, Noah was probably the guy I was most hyped about on draft day, He is the only guy on the list that I was 100% behind prior to the actual draft, By the time he was traded I thought he was absolutely useless, and wanted him gone the previous season. Wendel Carter Just put up similar per 36 minute stats compared to Noah's best season, and is 8 years younger respectively.
RSP83
Analyst
Posts: 3,291
And1: 1,543
Joined: Sep 14, 2010
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
       

Re: Favorite Bull of 2010's 

Post#32 » by RSP83 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:50 am

We could've featured this roster:
Rose
Butler
Deng
Pau
Noah
Taj
Niko
Dunleavy

Imagine they're all healthy, we kept Deng, Pau still come over signed using the MLE, Niko was committed to come over as well (rookie Niko was the best Niko). Thibs coaching.

I wish Rose, Butler, Noah Big 3 happened. It didn't, never even close. It could've been my favorite Bulls team, yes, probably including the dynasty team. Just because this one we kinda witness how they grow as a player, especially Jimmy and Jo, it was exciting to follow as a Bulls fan. And they still had that blue collar mentality that's always fun to root for. That team I list above is probably my favorite "What If" team.
RSP83
Analyst
Posts: 3,291
And1: 1,543
Joined: Sep 14, 2010
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
       

Re: Favorite Bull of 2010's 

Post#33 » by RSP83 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:01 am

By the way, the one guy that I wish to see with Thibs team is Noc. He's like this awesome player that showed up at the wrong time. You can fit him with the Dynasty Team or the Thibs Rose Team, he's still probably going to end up your top 3 favorite player.

At least Noc was part of that mini 2004 to 2007 successful run, so there's good memory of him having good run with the Bulls.
Jimako10
Veteran
Posts: 2,687
And1: 977
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
   

Re: Favorite Bull of 2010's 

Post#34 » by Jimako10 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:13 pm

RSP83 wrote:We could've featured this roster:
Rose
Butler
Deng
Pau
Noah
Taj
Niko
Dunleavy

Imagine they're all healthy, we kept Deng, Pau still come over signed using the MLE, Niko was committed to come over as well (rookie Niko was the best Niko). Thibs coaching.

I wish Rose, Butler, Noah Big 3 happened. It didn't, never even close. It could've been my favorite Bulls team, yes, probably including the dynasty team. Just because this one we kinda witness how they grow as a player, especially Jimmy and Jo, it was exciting to follow as a Bulls fan. And they still had that blue collar mentality that's always fun to root for. That team I list above is probably my favorite "What If" team.


Would have loved to see Rose/Butler/Deng/Niko/Noah starting lineup. The offense would run through Rose and Butler and not Gasol. You'd have a better defender in Niko on the court and a better spacer. Deng sitting at the baseline 3 or cutting to the basket, Noah going for that offensive board/follow up. Unfortunately I don't think Rose had nearly recovered as much in his game as he has recently.
User avatar
GrowingHorns
Pro Prospect
Posts: 919
And1: 486
Joined: Sep 05, 2017
   

Re: Favorite Bull of 2010's 

Post#35 » by GrowingHorns » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:07 am

Noah. The fire he plays with+ his overall personality and hair. We long-haired star travelers have to stick together!
dice
RealGM
Posts: 36,420
And1: 9,696
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Location: chicago

Re: Favorite Bull of 2010's 

Post#36 » by dice » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:37 pm

2018C3 wrote:Jimmy first by a large Margin, followed by Deng, and then Taj.

I can see why some people pick Noah, but I never perceived him myself to be a hard worker. More or less a guy who exhibited lots of effort on game day. From what I remember he typically started seasons slow, and got going later in the season.

Out of all the guys on the list, Noah was probably the guy I was most hyped about on draft day, He is the only guy on the list that I was 100% behind prior to the actual draft, By the time he was traded I thought he was absolutely useless, and wanted him gone the previous season. Wendel Carter Just put up similar per 36 minute stats compared to Noah's best season, and is 8 years younger respectively.

not the passing. and not as good defensively, though more efficient scoring
"all those muscles ain't gonna help you tonight. i'm gonna bust you up" - larry bird to rookie anthony mason before going for 29/18/11
User avatar
Mr. Tibbs
Head Coach
Posts: 6,282
And1: 334
Joined: Jun 25, 2006

Re: Favorite Bull of 2010's 

Post#37 » by Mr. Tibbs » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:00 pm

Went with Taj. Played for 3 different coaches, benched when he was clearly the better player, never once bitched or moaned..and was as consistent of a player I've ever seen on the Bulls.
RIP Johnny Red Kerr, Norm Van Lier, Pdenninggolden, Bullsmaniac
dice
RealGM
Posts: 36,420
And1: 9,696
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Location: chicago

Re: Favorite Bull of 2010's 

Post#38 » by dice » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:01 pm

2018C3 wrote:Jimmy first by a large Margin, followed by Deng, and then Taj.

I can see why some people pick Noah, but I never perceived him myself to be a hard worker. More or less a guy who exhibited lots of effort on game day. From what I remember he typically started seasons slow, and got going later in the season.

i think your take is accurate, though i find it odd that someone would let offseason work ethic significantly affect their favorite player rankings
"all those muscles ain't gonna help you tonight. i'm gonna bust you up" - larry bird to rookie anthony mason before going for 29/18/11
User avatar
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 46,612
And1: 6,818
Joined: Dec 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: Favorite Bull of 2010's 

Post#39 » by dougthonus » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:57 pm

2018C3 wrote:Out of all the guys on the list, Noah was probably the guy I was most hyped about on draft day, He is the only guy on the list that I was 100% behind prior to the actual draft, By the time he was traded I thought he was absolutely useless, and wanted him gone the previous season. Wendel Carter Just put up similar per 36 minute stats compared to Noah's best season, and is 8 years younger respectively.


Worth noting that Noah wasn't traded. He left as a FA, not that this should impact your decision. Injuries absolutely robbed him towards the end as well. We're very fortunate we didn't resign him (not that I think there was any momentum for us to do so).

If you think WCJ has a similar impact to Noah, then I don't know what to tell you. If you don't, then I'm not sure what the point of bringing up his per 36 minute stats are.

In his prime, Noah was one of the most active players in the league in terms of speed and distance per game (according to that tracking software that was just starting to be used back then). That's absolutely insane given that he was a center, and showed the type of activity he had and how he glued a defense together with his movement and recovery.

Definitely not the best player ever, but one of the most unique, and unique in a way that was generally amazingly unselfish on both ends of the court. I think that's why so many people loved him.

Plus, he gave me perhaps my favorite sports moment of all time. Certainly in the top 5.



Swear, completely honestly, no lie or exaggerations, I start to tear up when I watch that clip and remember that moment, it will always serve as an example to me of why I love sports, even if you can't/don't win the title. Definitely not that big a sports moment in history, NBA history, or even Bulls history, but my connection and love for the team was probably near its peak here.

Just talking about it, I had to watch that clip like 20 times.
2018C3
Junior
Posts: 399
And1: 260
Joined: Jul 14, 2018
   

Re: Favorite Bull of 2010's 

Post#40 » by 2018C3 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:17 pm

Looking back, Noah did have a productive 5 year run with us where he was at his top of his game, for some reason in my mind it feels like a much shorter period of time. In my mind I also remember his last two seasons with us, that were not all that positive. He did provide lots of great moments in the years prior.

Its hard for me to believe he spent 9 years on the Bulls roster, it seems to have gone by so fast. It also seems to me like he has now been gone for longer than he has.

Return to Chicago Bulls