Image ImageImage Image

Growing number of players are expressing concern about resuming season, young stars want league paid insurance

Moderators: HomoSapien, dougthonus, kulaz3000, fleet, RedBulls23, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , AshyLarrysDiaper, GimmeDat, DASMACKDOWN, Payt10

dice
RealGM
And1: 9,700

Re: Growing number of players are expressing concern about resuming season, young stars want league paid insurance 

Post#81 » by dice » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:27 pm

kodo wrote:winning basketball games does not have strong correlation with revenue performance. Hell, last season the Bulls were 2nd in attendance, if we needed any more proof than that.

it does, actually (just not as much as market size). particularly in the long-term. see the golden state warriors being valued at 4.3 bil vs the bulls at 3.2 bil. and that's DESPITE the bulls brand. see the celtics being valued about the same as the bulls despite being in a significantly smaller market. because their brand is winning. see the spurs being middle-of-the-pack in valuation despite being in one of the smallest markets. team value per TV viewer in metro area (forbes/nielson, in dollars) :

2354 thunder
2238 grizz
2195 pels
1963 spurs
1888 bucks
1818 warriors
1662 blazers
1628 jazz
1447 pacers
1347 kings
1346 celtics
1332 hornets
1188 heat
1105 cavs
1062 rockets
1044 nuggets
983 bulls
958 magic
936 mavs
864 suns
855 lakers
835 pistons
810 wolves
744 wizards
725 sixers
674 knicks
670 hawks
505 clippers
366 nets

there's definitely some correlation with winning there. note also the revenue sharing/national audience that makes small market teams more valuable relative to their market size
"all those muscles ain't gonna help you tonight. i'm gonna bust you up" - larry bird to rookie anthony mason before going for 29/18/11
MalagaBulls
Veteran
And1: 806

Re: Growing number of players are expressing concern about resuming season, young stars want league paid insurance 

Post#82 » by MalagaBulls » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:27 pm

Coaches also weighing in but with risk issues.

Read on Twitter
sonny
RealGM
And1: 222

Post#83 » by sonny » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:31 pm

patagonia wrote:I have a hard time believing the players can have a greater impact by not playing than by using the games to spread their message. They could have PSAs, halftime messages, get out the vote campaigns, players speaking before games, etc - all while millions of people are watching. I'm not convinced the audience will be bigger or more impacted otherwise.

The argument that this coalition is making is that it shouldn't all fall on the players, like it usually does. The league saying we'll make shirts, run commercials and give you 5 minutes of time during the postgame to speak on social justice isn't enough anymore.

Bron didn't need to be on TV to launch his voting rights group.

The members of the NBA are billionaires that pay lobbyists and donate money to politicians to make sure their interests are promoted. They pay guys a bunch of money to figure out how to build brand new state of the art stadiums with taxpayers picking up the majority of the bill and pay no property taxes on it. In a league where approximately 75% of the players are black the league, its members wouldn't be able to use these resources to push for reform?

The teams and the league definitely have the power to improve their diversity in management positions. A month or two ago we had people trying to reconcile how the same process that somehow struggles to find suitable black candidates are able to find suitable white candidates that have no front office experience.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 6,819

Post#84 » by dougthonus » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:27 pm

sonny wrote:The argument that this coalition is making is that it shouldn't all fall on the players, like it usually does. The league saying we'll make shirts, run commercials and give you 5 minutes of time during the postgame to speak on social justice isn't enough anymore.

Bron didn't need to be on TV to launch his voting rights group.

The members of the NBA are billionaires that pay lobbyists and donate money to politicians to make sure their interests are promoted. They pay guys a bunch of money to figure out how to build brand new state of the art stadiums with taxpayers picking up the majority of the bill and pay no property taxes on it. In a league where approximately 75% of the players are black the league, its members wouldn't be able to use these resources to push for reform?

They already collectively bargained how to split revenues, if they want a segment of that split to go to social reform, they can definitely bargain for it. It's a bit unorthodox to make demands about how someone else spends their money after the bargaining though.

The teams and the league definitely have the power to improve their diversity in management positions. A month or two ago we had people trying to reconcile how the same process that somehow struggles to find suitable black candidates are able to find suitable white candidates that have no front office experience.

Agreed.

Also, interesting note that most key front office positions have been minority hires since then too. Not sure if it is coincidental or just went that way. Troy Weaver, Marc Eversley, and Leon Rose were all hired as front office people in 2020 (though Rose prior to the Floyd incident that kicked off racial tensions). Not sure if that is 100% of the GM hires (though Eversley isn't the final decision maker while I think Weaver and Rose are). I'm not sure if any other FOs changed people, but AK might be the only EVP/GM that isn't a minority that was hired for these positions so far, I can't think of any other hires, but I admit I haven't looked that closely.

Return to Chicago Bulls