Image ImageImage Image

OT: COVID-19 thread #3

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, fleet, RedBulls23, Ice Man, AshyLarrysDiaper, Tommy Udo 6 , GimmeDat, dougthonus, Payt10, DASMACKDOWN

Dresden
Head Coach
Posts: 6,675
And1: 3,469
Joined: Nov 02, 2017
       

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#441 » by Dresden » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:09 am

PaKii94 wrote:
Dresden wrote:And by the way, these new pop ad's really suck. You click on them once, and in a few seconds they come right back.


Yeah the ads are ridiculous. It breaks the "jump to last unread post" function


I would be glad to pay a modest annual subscription of say, $25, to avoid some of these annoying ads.
User avatar
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 62,080
And1: 24,364
Joined: Nov 25, 2003
Location: On my high horse.
     

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#442 » by DuckIII » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:11 am

Dresden wrote:Trump today at his daily briefing, complaining that Fauci's approval rating is so much higher than his:

Nobody likes me,” the president said in a rare moment of self-reflection. “It can only be my personality, that’s all.” His lament came on the same day that the nation surpassed the grim benchmark of 150,000 deaths as a result of the pandemic.

“Remember, he’s working for this administration,” Trump said of Fauci, who is not a political appointee. “He’s working with us. We could’ve gotten other people. We could’ve gotten somebody else. It didn’t have to be Dr. Fauci.”“He's got this high approval rating,” Trump said of Fauci on Tuesday. “So why don’t I have a high approval rating and the administration with respect to the virus?”


Jesus, this is so embarrassing as an American.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
User avatar
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 27,989
And1: 16,396
Joined: Aug 17, 2009
 

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#443 » by HomoSapien » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:07 am

DuckIII wrote:
Dresden wrote:Trump today at his daily briefing, complaining that Fauci's approval rating is so much higher than his:

Nobody likes me,” the president said in a rare moment of self-reflection. “It can only be my personality, that’s all.” His lament came on the same day that the nation surpassed the grim benchmark of 150,000 deaths as a result of the pandemic.

“Remember, he’s working for this administration,” Trump said of Fauci, who is not a political appointee. “He’s working with us. We could’ve gotten other people. We could’ve gotten somebody else. It didn’t have to be Dr. Fauci.”“He's got this high approval rating,” Trump said of Fauci on Tuesday. “So why don’t I have a high approval rating and the administration with respect to the virus?”


Jesus, this is so embarrassing as an American.


It'd be so easy for this guy to actually be popular if he simply had done a good job. That's what's missing from his "self-reflection". People don't associate Fauci as being a reflection of his administration because he and the vast majority of his party have tried like hell to undermine him.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
lemonmellow
Sophomore
Posts: 203
And1: 57
Joined: Jun 05, 2010

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#444 » by lemonmellow » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:17 am

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-to-hold-beijing-accountable-for-the-coronavirus-11595976973

The closest known relative to SARS-CoV-2 is a virus sampled by Chinese researchers from six miners infected while working in a bat-infested cave in southern China in 2012. These miners developed symptoms we now associate with Covid-19. Half of them died. These viral samples were then taken to the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

If the virus jumped to humans through a series of human-animal encounters in the wild or in wet markets, as Beijing has claimed, we would likely have seen evidence of people being infected elsewhere in China before the Wuhan outbreak. We have not.

The alternative explanation, a lab escape, is far more plausible. We know the Wuhan Institute of Virology was using controversial “gain of function” techniques to make viruses more virulent for research purposes. A confidential 2018 State Department cable released this month highlighting the lab’s alarming safety record should heighten our concern.

Suggesting that an outbreak of a deadly bat coronavirus coincidentally occurred near the only level 4 virology institute in all of China—which happened to be studying the closest known relative of that exact virus—strains credulity.

Above all, China’s extensive coverup raises red flags. In the critical first weeks after the initial outbreak, Beijing actively suppressed essential information and prevented World Health Organization investigators from entering the country while samples were destroyed. When a courageous Chinese biologist posted the sequenced genome of the virus online, his lab was immediately shut “for rectification.” The Chinese government has forbidden scientists to discuss publicly the origins of the pandemic. Citizen journalists investigating the issue have disappeared. In the words of a European Union report that were controversially later removed from the final version, “China has continued to run a global disinformation campaign to deflect blame for the outbreak of the pandemic.”

Many progressives also seem to be censoring themselves for fear of legitimizing what they see as President Trump’s effort to blame China and the WHO to deflect criticism of America’s own failures.


Mr. Metzl served in the National Security Council and State Department in the Clinton administration. He is a senior fellow of the Atlantic Council, a member of the WHO international advisory committee on human genome editing, and author of “Hacking Darwin: Genetic Engineering and the Future of Humanity.”
User avatar
ImSlower
Analyst
Posts: 3,528
And1: 3,223
Joined: Jan 06, 2011
Location: STL
   

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#445 » by ImSlower » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:51 am

Wow, that all sounds quite damning.

From the start, I thought the government of China seemed like they were up to some very unethical hijinks. I don't think they planned to unleash a super-spreading virus across the world by releasing it in their own territory, but I can absolutely see Virology lab making a colossal safety error and the virus got out, either through an infected bat or an employee there heading into the city for a nice lunch.

All that said, I don't care right now. It's here and it's ravaging our country due to our own complete stubborn Murican idiocy. We can play the blame game in two years once we are out going to raves and funerals and dance recitals and church again. The last thing I want to see is a couple million Trumper types, shouting unmasked about Them Chinese screwin' up the world.

But briefly back to China; I'm pretty damn progressive but I often think when my friends say "Worst country in the world" that we are possibly the most stubborn to an extreme fault, but man do I think the Chinese government does some evil ****.
robert76
Junior
Posts: 327
And1: 173
Joined: Jan 01, 2012
Location: Romania
       

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#446 » by robert76 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:06 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Dresden wrote:Trump today at his daily briefing, complaining that Fauci's approval rating is so much higher than his:

Nobody likes me,” the president said in a rare moment of self-reflection. “It can only be my personality, that’s all.” His lament came on the same day that the nation surpassed the grim benchmark of 150,000 deaths as a result of the pandemic.

“Remember, he’s working for this administration,” Trump said of Fauci, who is not a political appointee. “He’s working with us. We could’ve gotten other people. We could’ve gotten somebody else. It didn’t have to be Dr. Fauci.”“He's got this high approval rating,” Trump said of Fauci on Tuesday. “So why don’t I have a high approval rating and the administration with respect to the virus?”


Jesus, this is so embarrassing as an American.


Actually, it's embarrassing as a human being.
moorhosj
Sophomore
Posts: 125
And1: 124
Joined: Jun 19, 2018
 

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#447 » by moorhosj » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:11 pm

ImSlower wrote:But briefly back to China; I'm pretty damn progressive but I often think when my friends say "Worst country in the world" that we are possibly the most stubborn to an extreme fault, but man do I think the Chinese government does some evil ****.


Even scarier if our government supports the evil stuff their government does.

Xi "explained to Trump why he was basically building concentration camps in Xinjiang," Bolton wrote, citing the interpreter's account. The interpreter added that "Trump said that Xi should go ahead with building the camps, which Trump thought was exactly the right thing to do," according to the book.

Bolton also wrote in the book that Matthew Pottinger, a retired US Marine and the current deputy national security adviser, "told me that Trump said something very similar during his November 2017 trip to China."
User avatar
TheStig
RealGM
Posts: 12,681
And1: 3,027
Joined: Jun 18, 2004
Location: Get rid of GarPaxDorf

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#448 » by TheStig » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:25 pm

Dresden wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
Dresden wrote:And by the way, these new pop ad's really suck. You click on them once, and in a few seconds they come right back.


Yeah the ads are ridiculous. It breaks the "jump to last unread post" function


I would be glad to pay a modest annual subscription of say, $25, to avoid some of these annoying ads.

Just get a pop up blocker.
Dresden
Head Coach
Posts: 6,675
And1: 3,469
Joined: Nov 02, 2017
       

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#449 » by Dresden » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:32 pm

TheStig wrote:
Dresden wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
Yeah the ads are ridiculous. It breaks the "jump to last unread post" function


I would be glad to pay a modest annual subscription of say, $25, to avoid some of these annoying ads.

Just get a pop up blocker.


Can you please post a link for a one that works for MacBook Air? I'm a complete idiot with technology.
Dresden
Head Coach
Posts: 6,675
And1: 3,469
Joined: Nov 02, 2017
       

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#450 » by Dresden » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:51 pm

lemonmellow wrote:https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-to-hold-beijing-accountable-for-the-coronavirus-11595976973

The closest known relative to SARS-CoV-2 is a virus sampled by Chinese researchers from six miners infected while working in a bat-infested cave in southern China in 2012. These miners developed symptoms we now associate with Covid-19. Half of them died. These viral samples were then taken to the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

If the virus jumped to humans through a series of human-animal encounters in the wild or in wet markets, as Beijing has claimed, we would likely have seen evidence of people being infected elsewhere in China before the Wuhan outbreak. We have not.

The alternative explanation, a lab escape, is far more plausible. We know the Wuhan Institute of Virology was using controversial “gain of function” techniques to make viruses more virulent for research purposes. A confidential 2018 State Department cable released this month highlighting the lab’s alarming safety record should heighten our concern.

Suggesting that an outbreak of a deadly bat coronavirus coincidentally occurred near the only level 4 virology institute in all of China—which happened to be studying the closest known relative of that exact virus—strains credulity.

Above all, China’s extensive coverup raises red flags. In the critical first weeks after the initial outbreak, Beijing actively suppressed essential information and prevented World Health Organization investigators from entering the country while samples were destroyed. When a courageous Chinese biologist posted the sequenced genome of the virus online, his lab was immediately shut “for rectification.” The Chinese government has forbidden scientists to discuss publicly the origins of the pandemic. Citizen journalists investigating the issue have disappeared. In the words of a European Union report that were controversially later removed from the final version, “China has continued to run a global disinformation campaign to deflect blame for the outbreak of the pandemic.”

Many progressives also seem to be censoring themselves for fear of legitimizing what they see as President Trump’s effort to blame China and the WHO to deflect criticism of America’s own failures.


Mr. Metzl served in the National Security Council and State Department in the Clinton administration. He is a senior fellow of the Atlantic Council, a member of the WHO international advisory committee on human genome editing, and author of “Hacking Darwin: Genetic Engineering and the Future of Humanity.”


I don't find this very credible. It's all based on innuendo and circumstantial evidence- basically their whole argument is "this thing popped up in Wuhan, close to the only lab of it's kind in China, therefore, it probably escaped from the lab".

For instance, it says: "we would likely have seen evidence of people being infected elsewhere in China before the Wuhan outbreak. We have not." For one thing- how do they know this? People may have died from corona in rural areas, without it being identified at COVID. Wuhan is a large city- a place where clusters of cases would have gotten the attention of the medical community, where it could have been spread much more rapidly, and where they do have a lot of livestock, including bats, at their markets.

As for China suppressing information in the beginning, yes, this is what authoritarian govts. do- they try to control information. Russia did the same thing with Chernobyl. Not that you have to be an authoritarian state for this to happen- there have been plenty of cover ups in the USA, too- Love Canal, the tobacco industry, fallout illness from nuclear testing, medical experiments on unwitting inmates, effects of Agent Orange, etc, etc.

And as for the "confidential state dept memo released earlier this month", I don't trust anything put out by the state dept under Mike Pompeo. He's claimed for awhile now they have "enormous proof" of this theory of lab escape of the virus, yet hasn't produced anything of the sort.

Most of this sounds just like a typical conspiracy theory.
Dresden
Head Coach
Posts: 6,675
And1: 3,469
Joined: Nov 02, 2017
       

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#451 » by Dresden » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:19 pm

"A chart in an internal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention document dated July 28 shows the United States falling further behind Europe in its handling of the coronavirus. The chart, which lists the countries with the highest daily average of new cases over the last seven days, shows the U.S. is first, with an average of 66,079 new cases reported daily over the last week, followed by Brazil with 45,665 and then India, South Africa and Colombia. Bangladesh, Iraq and Iran round out the list; the only European country on the list is Russia, which at around 5,800 new cases a day, is still doing better than the U.S."

Well done, USA- in the same company with Brazil, India, S. Africa, Columbia, Bangladesh, Iran and Iraq!
User avatar
TheStig
RealGM
Posts: 12,681
And1: 3,027
Joined: Jun 18, 2004
Location: Get rid of GarPaxDorf

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#452 » by TheStig » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:45 pm

Dresden wrote:
TheStig wrote:
Dresden wrote:
I would be glad to pay a modest annual subscription of say, $25, to avoid some of these annoying ads.

Just get a pop up blocker.


Can you please post a link for a one that works for MacBook Air? I'm a complete idiot with technology.

I use firefox as my main browser and then adblock plus is an add on for it. It works very well and if it misses anything, you can manually add the ad and it will block it in the future.
Dresden
Head Coach
Posts: 6,675
And1: 3,469
Joined: Nov 02, 2017
       

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#453 » by Dresden » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:00 pm

TheStig wrote:
Dresden wrote:
TheStig wrote:Just get a pop up blocker.


Can you please post a link for a one that works for MacBook Air? I'm a complete idiot with technology.

I use firefox as my main browser and then adblock plus is an add on for it. It works very well and if it misses anything, you can manually add the ad and it will block it in the future.


Much appreciated Stig!
Dresden
Head Coach
Posts: 6,675
And1: 3,469
Joined: Nov 02, 2017
       

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#454 » by Dresden » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:01 pm

This is the guy who refused to wear a mask during a committee meeting several weeks ago, despite being repeatedly told by Nadler to do so- now he's tested positive. Dumbass.

"Rep. Louie Gohmert — a Texas Republican who has been walking around the Capitol without a mask — has tested positive for the coronavirus, according to multiple sources.

Gohmert was scheduled to fly to Texas on Wednesday morning with President Donald Trump and tested positive in a pre-screen at the White House. The eighth-term Republican told CNN last month that he was not wearing a mask because he was being tested regularly for the coronavirus.

"[I]f I get it," he told CNN in June, "you'll never see me without a mask."

Reps. Mario Diaz Balart (R-Fla.), Neal Dunn (R-Fla.), Morgan Griffith (R-Va.), Mike Kelly (R-Pa.), Ben McAdams (D-Utah) and Tom Rice (R-S.C.) have tested positive for the virus, along with Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.)."

These people aren't going to get the point until one of them dies from this.
Red8911
RealGM
Posts: 10,376
And1: 2,422
Joined: Jul 13, 2010
Location: BROOKLYN

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#455 » by Red8911 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:31 pm

dice wrote:
Red8911 wrote:

Read on Twitter


stella immanuel is a pediatrician. so even if she actually has had 250 kids who have tested positive, it's not some miracle outcome that none of them have died regardless of how poorly she "treated" them. in fact, in most of the world only 1 out of every several thousand infected children has died from COVID-19

2 countries that are doing very poorly w/ COVID-19: USA and brazil. both of their presidents have touted hydroxychloroquine and one of them CONTRACTED THE VIRUS! meanwhile, nations that are doing well have leaders that are following the science, which suggests that any mild benefits that the drug has for some people is not worth the potential side effects. do the math

and a simple google search on dr. immanuel reveals quite a bit of quackery

edit: 35 minutes after red posts the video youtube removes it

I don’t understand why they completely deleted this video from social media. Hydroxychloroquine does actually work and has saved lives. I personally know a couple of people who were badly sick ready to die from the virus, but they took the drug with the help from their doctors and they made it. It’s not only them, so many people have the same story that it worked for them! Why are they trying to hide this from everyone??!

I also don’t get why this has become so political all because Trump suggested taking this. The people in the video who are calling this drug the cure are all doctors, they aren’t some bozos saying random things. The way I see it the ones with money/power want to make a huge profit off vaccines so they are pushing this drug aside.

I’m no Dr but there’s so much evidence that it has saved lives and should be given to more people if needed by their doctors. Doesn’t matter if Trump or Obama said it all that matters is to save people.
Dresden
Head Coach
Posts: 6,675
And1: 3,469
Joined: Nov 02, 2017
       

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#456 » by Dresden » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:20 pm

Red8911 wrote:
dice wrote:
Red8911 wrote:

Read on Twitter


stella immanuel is a pediatrician. so even if she actually has had 250 kids who have tested positive, it's not some miracle outcome that none of them have died regardless of how poorly she "treated" them. in fact, in most of the world only 1 out of every several thousand infected children has died from COVID-19

2 countries that are doing very poorly w/ COVID-19: USA and brazil. both of their presidents have touted hydroxychloroquine and one of them CONTRACTED THE VIRUS! meanwhile, nations that are doing well have leaders that are following the science, which suggests that any mild benefits that the drug has for some people is not worth the potential side effects. do the math

and a simple google search on dr. immanuel reveals quite a bit of quackery

edit: 35 minutes after red posts the video youtube removes it

I don’t understand why they completely deleted this video from social media. Hydroxychloroquine does actually work and has saved lives. I personally know a couple of people who were badly sick ready to die from the virus, but they took the drug with the help from their doctors and they made it. It’s not only them, so many people have the same story that it worked for them! Why are they trying to hide this from everyone??!

I also don’t get why this has become so political all because Trump suggested taking this. The people in the video who are calling this drug the cure are all doctors, they aren’t some bozos saying random things. The way I see it the ones with money/power want to make a huge profit off vaccines so they are pushing this drug aside.

I’m no Dr but there’s so much evidence that it has saved lives and should be given to more people if needed by their doctors. Doesn’t matter if Trump or Obama said it all that matters is to save people.


They have run clinical trials on this drug already, which showed that it did not offer any better results. These were controlled studies. If the drug is so helpful, why haven't the clinical trials demonstrated this?
User avatar
TheStig
RealGM
Posts: 12,681
And1: 3,027
Joined: Jun 18, 2004
Location: Get rid of GarPaxDorf

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#457 » by TheStig » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:05 pm

Dresden wrote:
TheStig wrote:
Dresden wrote:
Can you please post a link for a one that works for MacBook Air? I'm a complete idiot with technology.

I use firefox as my main browser and then adblock plus is an add on for it. It works very well and if it misses anything, you can manually add the ad and it will block it in the future.


Much appreciated Stig!

Anytime, I hope it works for you. I've been using it for years.
User avatar
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 62,080
And1: 24,364
Joined: Nov 25, 2003
Location: On my high horse.
     

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#458 » by DuckIII » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:03 pm

Have you guys been reading about Dr. Immanuel? Wow, what a nut job. The fact that this group tabbed her as a spokesperson tells you all you need to know (if you were one of the folks who believe extreme minority medical opinions so long as they fit what you want the science to be - if you were objective you already knew they were quacks).
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
Posts: 29,259
And1: 6,193
Joined: Nov 28, 2005
Location: Chicago

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#459 » by musiqsoulchild » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:54 pm

ImSlower wrote:Wow, that all sounds quite damning.

From the start, I thought the government of China seemed like they were up to some very unethical hijinks. I don't think they planned to unleash a super-spreading virus across the world by releasing it in their own territory, but I can absolutely see Virology lab making a colossal safety error and the virus got out, either through an infected bat or an employee there heading into the city for a nice lunch.

All that said, I don't care right now. It's here and it's ravaging our country due to our own complete stubborn Murican idiocy. We can play the blame game in two years once we are out going to raves and funerals and dance recitals and church again. The last thing I want to see is a couple million Trumper types, shouting unmasked about Them Chinese screwin' up the world.

But briefly back to China; I'm pretty damn progressive but I often think when my friends say "Worst country in the world" that we are possibly the most stubborn to an extreme fault, but man do I think the Chinese government does some evil ****.


This is the worst country in the world for people who live in America.

Just like any other country is the worst country in the world for people who live in that country.

It's very much like parents and kids. We hate each other. We love each other. Some people figure out how to co-exist and negotiate between those 2 entities.

Mant others seem to prefer decades of therapy to compromise and negotiation.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
Posts: 29,259
And1: 6,193
Joined: Nov 28, 2005
Location: Chicago

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#460 » by musiqsoulchild » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:54 pm

DuckIII wrote:Have you guys been reading about Dr. Immanuel? Wow, what a nut job. The fact that this group tabbed her as a spokesperson tells you all you need to know (if you were one of the folks who believe extreme minority medical opinions so long as they fit what you want the science to be - if you were objective you already knew they were quacks).


She is living proof that Demon Sperm exists.

Checkmate.

Return to Chicago Bulls