Image ImageImage Image

OT: COVID-19 thread #3

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

dice
RealGM
And1: 12,542

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#81 » by dice » Fri Jul 3, 2020 3:56 am

a university of alabama fraternity is seeing who can contract COVID-19 first. "winner" gets the money in the pot

roll tide (of corona)
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Jo Jo English
RealGM
And1: 4,979

Post#82 » by Jo Jo English » Fri Jul 3, 2020 4:11 am

Read on Twitter

As of data on July 2, the following states are included in the order:

Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Louisiana
Mississippi
North Carolina
Nevada
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,803

Post#83 » by jc23 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 6:58 am

dice wrote:a university of alabama fraternity is seeing who can contract COVID-19 first. "winner" gets the money in the pot

roll tide (of corona)

nothing surprises me anymore, people use to set themselves on fire for social media fame not to long ago.
Be curious, Not judgmental
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,440

Post#84 » by ImSlower » Fri Jul 3, 2020 7:53 am

Surreal to see Chicago refusing people from Idaho.

Down here in the St Louis metro area, Covid has been defeated. What a victory. Down to about 75% masks in the grocery store. The town's unofficial FB group attempts to avoid politics, but apparently a post openly mocking a neighbor for wearing a mask in her car is completely hilarious witch hunt. It got locked once a couple people had the gall to say that perhaps the woman had an easier time putting the mask on at home, and were mocked as much as the original target. It was really, really gross.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#85 » by Ccwatercraft » Fri Jul 3, 2020 2:17 pm

Jo Jo English wrote:
Read on Twitter

As of data on July 2, the following states are included in the order:

Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Louisiana
Mississippi
North Carolina
Nevada
South Carolina
Tennessee
Texas
Utah

Ouch. That's going to cripple O'hare. Is it connecting flights as well?

Can you just fly into Indy and drive?

I had already moved all my travel plans back to August, and scheduled all direct flights to avoid quarantine issues, connecting through newark = quarantine for example as of last friday, now its reversed.
GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,508

Post#86 » by GetBuLLish » Fri Jul 3, 2020 2:26 pm

The amount of people who criticize Ron DeSantis while praising Andrew Cuomo is perfect evidence of how incredibly gullible and unhinged from reality people can be.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#87 » by MrSparkle » Fri Jul 3, 2020 3:06 pm

GetBuLLish wrote:The amount of people who criticize Ron DeSantis while praising Andrew Cuomo is perfect evidence of how incredibly gullible and unhinged from reality people can be.

Please care to explain?

One guy literally had 3 months to plan after one of his fellow state had one of its worst months ever, and instead of heeding advice, he pompously/arrogantly scoffed at their incompetence while ultimately proving to be incompetent himself (and a liar).

I won't go as far as throwing a parade for Cuomo, but he was pretty straight-to-the-fact when the ** hit the fan in March. Yeah, his admin made mistakes prior, but they also had to deal with the crisis as the epicenter all whilst having to "contend" with the POTUS' bull**** (denying the gravity of the problem, selectively helping GOP governors more than NY and CA which actually needed immediate assistance, etc.). Easy to coach 1000 miles away.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,874

Post#88 » by Dresden » Fri Jul 3, 2020 4:03 pm

I don't get how the quarantine in Chicago works. if you fly in there from a hotspot, how exactly do they enforce the quarantine? They can't actually detain you.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#89 » by Ccwatercraft » Fri Jul 3, 2020 4:10 pm

GetBuLLish wrote:The amount of people who criticize Ron DeSantis while praising Andrew Cuomo is perfect evidence of how incredibly gullible and unhinged from reality people can be.

Agree, I think his polling numbers were heading higher right around when we found out he was sentencing our elders to death.

Good job!
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Post#90 » by PlayerUp » Fri Jul 3, 2020 5:29 pm

A surprising new study found that the controversial antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine helped patients better survive in the hospital.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/02/health/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-detroit-study/index.html
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#91 » by MrSparkle » Fri Jul 3, 2020 5:49 pm

PlayerUp wrote:A surprising new study found that the controversial antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine helped patients better survive in the hospital.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/02/health/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-detroit-study/index.html

It's just more anecdotal evidence (observational studies), while every clinical science study continually shows no evidence.

I don't know why this is so difficult to grasp. I mean, sure - if you are in that small percent of CO-19 patients who needs ICU treatment and you are not at cardiac risk taking the drug, a doctor can try it if they deem the patient is on the path to death. There are no official treatments and no one understands the virus yet.

But this isn't a "surprising" new study. It's more of the same. And this latest observational study does not make it a "miracle cure," and there is no reason why you should "open the economy since there is a treatment."

Unbelievable that this is still a news topic.
GetBuLLish
General Manager

Post#92 » by GetBuLLish » Fri Jul 3, 2020 6:50 pm

MrSparkle wrote:

Please care to explain?

One guy literally had 3 months to plan after one of his fellow state had one of its worst months ever, and instead of heeding advice, he pompously/arrogantly scoffed at their incompetence while ultimately proving to be incompetent himself (and a liar).

I won't go as far as throwing a parade for Cuomo, but he was pretty straight-to-the-fact when the ** hit the fan in March. Yeah, his admin made mistakes prior, but they also had to deal with the crisis as the epicenter all whilst having to "contend" with the POTUS' bull**** (denying the gravity of the problem, selectively helping GOP governors more than NY and CA which actually needed immediate assistance, etc.). Easy to coach 1000 miles away.

NY's deaths per 100,000 is 165. Florida's is 17.

Florida absolutely trounces NY in its handling of the virus. The two are not even remotely comparable. And that's even factoring the recent surge in Florida which: (1) would only be a blip on NY's chart at its peak; and (2) is largely confined to age groups at little risk, meaning that the surge in cases is not leading to deaths at nearly the same rate that we saw in New York.

Florida has a fraction of the deaths of NY despite having a much larger elderly population and despite having interfered less substantially on its citizens' lives. And any one who has followed this news objectively knows that a huge reason for this is that while Cuomo was requiring COVID positive nursing home patients to be returned to nursing homes, DeSantis did everything in his power to prevent that from happening.

Let's just imagine the death numbers in the two states were switched, with Florida's death rate numbers 10x worse than New York's. Would you be on here dragging Cuomo and trying to justify Desantis' conduct? Of course not. We both know you're only doing it because the 'D' next to Cuomo and the 'R' next to DeSantis.

And you're not alone because this is exactly what the media has done since day one. Which brings me back to my point about how gullible people are and how willing they are to believe such idiotic things to fit their preconceived beliefs and feelings.
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#93 » by MrSparkle » Fri Jul 3, 2020 7:00 pm

GetBuLLish wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:

Please care to explain?

Florida absolutely trounces NY in its handling of the virus. The two are not even remotely comparable. And that's even factoring the recent surge in Florida which: (1) would only be a blip on NY's chart at its peak; and (2) is largely confined to age groups at little risk, meaning that the surge in cases is not leading to deaths at nearly the same rate that we saw in New York.

Florida has a fraction of the deaths of NY despite having a much larger elderly population and despite having interfered less substantially on its citizens' lives. And any one who has followed this news objectively knows that a huge reason for this is that while Cuomo was requiring COVID positive nursing home patients to be returned to nursing homes, DeSantis did everything in his power to prevent that from happening.

Let's just imagine the death numbers in the two states were switched, with Florida's death rate numbers 10x worse than New York's. Would you be on here dragging Cuomo and trying to justify Desantis' conduct? Of course not. We both know you're only doing it because the 'D' next to Cuomo and the 'R' next to DeSantis.

And you're not alone because this is exactly what the media has done since day one. Which brings me back to my point about how gullible people are and how willing they are to believe such idiotic things to fit their preconceived beliefs and feelings.

Or I rely on a combination of multiple news sources along with personal testimonies from friends who worked in NYC hospitals.

Completely different situations. The outbreak happened on a different scale in NY. To compare the scale of living in dense NYC and any part of FL or AZ is laughable. Even as the virus continues to extend its presence, those states will not face the danger NYC faced because there is no compression of essential services (trains, taxis, buses, skyscrapers, high-rise apts., cramped grocery stores), let alone the fact that the virus started hitting hard at the end of winter which meant that most folks were indoors.

If you're gonna call me idiotic and gullible, how about we consider simple basic logic? Of course AZ and FL will be at lower risk of deaths. They are much more spread out. Most towns don't even have side-walks to walk on and pass people. The FL transfer of the virus is exclusively due to stupidity of people entirely ignoring health recommendations and cramming into pool parties, shopping centers and bars without masks or social distancing. Nevertheless, it doesn't take a genius to evaluate the difference between dense city life where most people don't even own a car, let alone live in houses or work in remote small offices.

The kicker is that of course it is just to the detriment of the big cities as the virus numbers surge and flights continue. But of course rural America is hell-bent on teaching urban America a lesson. Boy would this country be a great inspiration for the world without NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia and Boston.

But I see the Cuomo Nursing Home story is going to follow the Benghazi trajectory and keep flying. Here's an article from late May that somewhat addresses it. https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/23/politics/cuomo-new-york-nursing-homes-coronavirus-patients/index.html Was it a mistake? Yes. But they faced an unprecedented urgent problem with pathetic guidance from the Federal level.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#94 » by musiqsoulchild » Fri Jul 3, 2020 7:09 pm

Unsurprisingly, your bravado smacks of Ron DeSantis.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#95 » by musiqsoulchild » Fri Jul 3, 2020 7:11 pm

GetBuLLish wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:

Please care to explain?

I applaud you for the mental gymnastics.

Thus, using your own logical thought streams, Donald Trump has handled the COVID crisis the worst of all world leaders.

Fireable offense. According to your own logic.
dice
RealGM

Post#96 » by dice » Fri Jul 3, 2020 8:40 pm

musiqsoulchild wrote:
GetBuLLish wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:
Please care to explain?

I applaud you for the mental gymnastics.

Thus, using your own logical thought streams, Donald Trump has handled the COVID crisis the worst of all world leaders.

Fireable offense. According to your own logic.

please don't suggest that anything getbull spouts resembles logic
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#97 » by dice » Fri Jul 3, 2020 9:14 pm

MrSparkle wrote:
GetBuLLish wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:
Please care to explain?

Or I rely on a combination of multiple news sources along with personal testimonies from friends who worked in NYC hospitals.

Completely different situations. The outbreak happened on a different scale in NY. To compare the scale of living in dense NYC and any part of FL or AZ is laughable. Even as the virus continues to extend its presence, those states will not face the danger NYC faced because there is no compression of essential services (trains, taxis, buses, skyscrapers, high-rise apts., cramped grocery stores), let alone the fact that the virus started hitting hard at the end of winter which meant that most folks were indoors.

If you're gonna call me idiotic and gullible, how about we consider simple basic logic? Of course AZ and FL will be at lower risk of deaths. They are much more spread out. Most towns don't even have side-walks to walk on and pass people. The FL transfer of the virus is exclusively due to stupidity of people entirely ignoring health recommendations and cramming into pool parties, shopping centers and bars without masks or social distancing. Nevertheless, it doesn't take a genius to evaluate the difference between dense city life where most people don't even own a car, let alone live in houses or work in remote small offices.

The kicker is that of course it is just to the detriment of the big cities as the virus numbers surge and flights continue. But of course rural America is hell-bent on teaching urban America a lesson. Boy would this country be a great inspiration for the world without NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia and Boston.

But I see the Cuomo Nursing Home story is going to follow the Benghazi trajectory and keep flying. Here's an article from late May that somewhat addresses it. https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/23/politics/cuomo-new-york-nursing-homes-coronavirus-patients/index.html Was it a mistake? Yes. But they faced an unprecedented urgent problem with pathetic guidance from the Federal level.

there is absolutely no case to be made that FL has handled this better than NY. and the evidence is what's happening RIGHT NOW. new york is RIGHT NOW still more susceptible to COVID-19 than florida is. still have the population density issue. still not as warm. still have the lion's share of the population prone to infection. none of that changed because they already had a huge wave pass through. and yet their case load is smaller by an order of magnitude! the early wave in NY (and thus much of the northeast) was inevitable due to the aforementioned population density, lack of time to prepare, being a hotbed of international travel, and weather. florida and all the other southern states have had as much time as everybody else to learn from new york's experience AND currently have the aid of hot weather AND have less population density, yet have STILL failed to an astonishing degree

this chart...

...looks the way it does for one reason and one reason alone: the abject failure of birther party-led states in their response to the virus. a national embarrassment. led by people like ron desantis

as in the EU, the virus here ravaged large, densely populated urban areas when the weather was still cold. but in the EU ALL locations, urban, suburban and rural, learned from the experience and made necessary adjustments, emerging from lockdown only when it was relatively safe to do so and continuing to taking precautions while doing so. the southern USA, on the other hand, did not learn a damn thing, choosing instead to politicize a goddamn pandemic, with the president as lead cheerleader. well, COVID don't care

desantis is a highly irresponsible failure. a bum

p.s.: using death rate rather than infection rate is a blatantly biased way to compare states. death rate is simply a function of timing and who happens to get infected. a young person in florida getting infected and predictably surviving in june rather than an old person in NY getting infected in march and dying is hardly evidence that florida is handling the situation better. and as i said in an earlier post, arizona is on track to SURPASS new york in case rate despite all of the advantages i have noted. florida may end up passing new york in case rate as well
GetBuLLish
General Manager

Post#98 » by GetBuLLish » Fri Jul 3, 2020 9:52 pm

I believe the top 10 states in COVID deaths are all run by Democratic governors. And a significant majority of COVID deaths are in democratic congressional districts.

How someone can use that reality to paint a picture that it's those damn Republican rednecks that are screwing up the COVID response is astonishing.

By the way, anyone who uses case counts as the most meaningful measure of comparison should not be taken seriously on this issue.
dice
RealGM

Post#99 » by dice » Fri Jul 3, 2020 10:25 pm

GetBuLLish wrote:I believe the top 10 states in COVID deaths are all run by Democratic governors. And a significant majority of COVID deaths are in democratic congressional districts.

How someone can use that reality to paint a picture that it's those damn Republican rednecks that are screwing up the COVID response is astonishing.

you're somehow still not getting it

what's happening RIGHT NOW is the best evidence of how states are handling the pandemic. not what happened at the BEGINNING of the pandemic when it was spreading through densely packed urban areas without anyone's knowledge and we knew next to nothing about how it is transmitted

once again, the population of new york is STILL more susceptible to COVID-19 than florida residents are, yet their rates are much, much lower. because they've responded to the crisis in a drastically more responsible fashion

By the way, anyone who uses case counts as the most meaningful measure of comparison should not be taken seriously on this issue.

nobody said it is the MOST meaningful measure of comparison. but it's certainly important. anyone who uses death count as their sole measurement should not be taken seriously either. because death not the only negative consequence of COVID-19. and unless you have evidence that would suggest that the state of florida is somehow weirdly funneling infections to younger people...

additionally, the spike in cases only started a couple of weeks ago. the average COVID-19 death is 3-5 weeks after infection. if hospitalizations are going up (which they are), you can bet that deaths will as well. fortunately, we are diagnosing the virus faster now and are better able to treat them, so that helps a lot. again, an advantage that we didn't have at the beginning of the pandemic

your take on virus response is almost as bad as your take on race issues. and that's a really high bar
MrSparkle
RealGM

Post#100 » by MrSparkle » Fri Jul 3, 2020 10:39 pm

GetBuLLish wrote:I believe the top 10 states in COVID deaths are all run by Democratic governors. And a significant majority of COVID deaths are in democratic congressional districts.

It's akin to claiming that all the BLM protests are happening in Democratically elected cities, thus Democrats clearly have a bigger racial problem than Republicans.

One doesn't know where to begin with a retort to a complete fallacy.

Return to Chicago Bulls