Image ImageImage Image

OT: COVID-19 thread #3

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,873

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#941 » by Dresden » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:41 am

To that point:

But on top of the risks to young people themselves, their failure to wear masks may put others around them at risk too. A recent analysis from Vanderbilt University found that hospitals serving those in regions without mask mandates are seeing the “highest rate of growth” of the virus.

The fact holds true when looking at national trends. Overall, 32 states have enacted full mask mandates for residents, with another 17 enacting partial mandates. South Dakota remains the only state not to issue any sort of mask mandate. Based on data from the New York Times, the same states in which COVID-19 is currently spiking are those with either partial or no mask mandates, including Missouri, South Dakota, North Dakota, Utah and Nebraska.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cdc-young-people-most-likely-not-wear-mask-190030605.html
Dresden
RealGM

Post#942 » by Dresden » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:42 am

Actually, there's another thing we in CA do to protect ourselves from Covid. Trump made mention of it at a campaign rally in AZ today:

“In California, you have a special mask. You cannot under any circumstances take it off. You have to eat through the mask,” Trump said. “It’s a very complex mechanism, and they don’t realize those germs, they go through it like nothing. They look at you with that contraption and they say that’s an easy one, I’m going right through with the food.”

“Now, how about California, though, where you’re supposed to eat with the mask, can’t take it off,” he continued. “You see people and boy, you know, when you have spaghetti and meat sauce, that mask is not looking — you walk out, it looks like you got into a fight with [UFC President] Dana White.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/trump-latest-whopper-california-requires-224753761.html
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,748

Post#943 » by dougthonus » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:58 am

Dresden wrote:you would think though, that at some point the incidence of Covid would start to make it clear: those areas with the least compliance in terms of mask wearing, social distancing, etc, would see the worst outbreaks. And then everyone would see the truth. That hasn't really happened yet.

:dontknow:

The infection rate + serious side effect rate is still low enough that I don't think the virus is ever going to punish people enough to change national behavior. So far you have a 1 in 50 chance of getting it. It's just not high enough risk that people are willing to change behavior.

Those that do get it and recover no longer fear it, and those that don't just look at it like they won't get it anyway. I think the only way behavior really changes is if the virus were much, much more deadly (not that I'm rooting for that). I just think as it is now, the message that "this isn't that big a deal" was validated for far too long in certain areas for it to likely change almost no matter what you do now.

I'm not sure how long it will take for a vaccine to wind this thing down, but I think that's really where we are at at this point.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#944 » by dougthonus » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:18 am

I watch a lot of ESPN throughout the day, and its interesting listening to everyone rail against Justin Turner. I totally get it in a way, but the test comes back in the 8th inning, he's literally been around everyone for days in close contact with no mask.

I think MLB is blame shifting this onto Turner when really, when this happened, if you didn't cancel the game immediately, isolate everyone, and try to prevent the shift then what are you complaining about? Assuming it isn't a false positive, there are almost certainly other dodgers whom are already infected from sharing the club house with the guy, and just as much chance that he isn't patient zero here anyway.

Just getting Turner out of there isn't making everyone safe. If you felt good enough to finish the game in this scenario where an infected guy has literally just had close, no mask contact for multiple hours with people already then I'm not sure why you're so upset with him joining in for another 30 minutes for the celebration. Instead, it feels like we're taking the stance that despite the fact that its highly likely tons of dodgers are infected at this point, we should keep the game going because we only know about one for sure and the pin everything on that guy.

Might feel differently if a bunch of Dodger teammates came out against what Turner did or they didn't want him out there, but otherwise, MLB is being super hypocritical here blaming Turner for not being safe and giving up his celebration while they weren't willing to cancel the game over safety.
@doug_thonus on twitter
jmajew
Rookie
And1: 340

Post#945 » by jmajew » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:34 pm

I'm a big believer that everything should be open and let people make the choice not to go out, but I'm also a big believer in a mask mandate. I don't think wearing a mask is that hard. I've been at work since all this started back in March and we have had a mask mandate since then. No one has complained and everyone has worn it. We have had people catch COVID but never through our facility, because of social distancing and the mask mandate.

I firmly believe that schools, park districts, & major corporations are doing an incredible job keeping everyone that works for them and people that go to those places safe. The real problems come in with smaller gatherings. Having friends over for a BBQ, a family birthday party, or just going to a small local bar with friends. I have been to a restaurant three times since this all started. All three have been in the past 2 months and we sat outdoors. My wife and I are making a conscious choice to stop that going forward and we are even contemplating spending the holiday's alone.

The burnout is real for people, I understand that. Right now I have three close friends/family members that a parent that is in assisted living recently caught it. They are all extremely worried about their parents. I can't blame them and my belief is I will do what I can to keep them safe and if that means cutting a few things out of my life so be it. I'm not worried about myself getting sick and dying from this as I think most of us on this board aren't. Its really for out parents and grandparents that we are concerned.
moorhosj
Junior
And1: 350

Post#946 » by moorhosj » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:22 pm

dougthonus wrote:I think MLB is blame shifting this onto Turner when really, when this happened, if you didn't cancel the game immediately, isolate everyone, and try to prevent the shift then what are you complaining about? Assuming it isn't a false positive, there are almost certainly other dodgers whom are already infected from sharing the club house with the guy, and just as much chance that he isn't patient zero here anyway.

Just getting Turner out of there isn't making everyone safe. If you felt good enough to finish the game in this scenario where an infected guy has literally just had close, no mask contact for multiple hours with people already then I'm not sure why you're so upset with him joining in for another 30 minutes for the celebration. Instead, it feels like we're taking the stance that despite the fact that its highly likely tons of dodgers are infected at this point, we should keep the game going because we only know about one for sure and the pin everything on that guy.

Except the players association created and agreed to a set of protocols with the league. The game was allowed to continue, but the player had to be replaced and isolated as the protocol suggest. It isn't "blame shifting" to follow the agreed to rules and call out players who don't. Turner was the Dodger's union representative for that discussion. Whether or not he exposed people to more "risk" is beside the point, he violated the protocols he agreed to follow. If he thought that part of the rule was flawed, he should have spoken up before agreeing to it. I think he'll lose 20-30 games next year as COVID will likely still be here and they need to make an example or risk the protocols completely crumbling.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#947 » by dougthonus » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:30 pm

moorhosj wrote:Except the players association created and agreed to a set of protocols with the league. The game was allowed to continue, but the player had to be replaced and isolated as the protocol suggest. It isn't "blame shifting" to follow the agreed to rules and call out players who don't. Turner was the Dodger's union representative for that discussion. Whether or not he exposed people to more "risk" is beside the point, he violated the protocols he agreed to follow. If he thought that part of the rule was flawed, he should have spoken up before agreeing to it. I think he'll lose 20-30 games next year as COVID will likely still be here and they need to make an example or risk the protocols completely crumbling.

Came out on ESPN that he had a positive test the day before, and baseball let him play anyway while getting retested just in case his first one was a false negative. I'm not sure that was 100% verified, SAS was reading a text he received from someone within the MLB office on the air on First Take today.

Maybe it is within the protocol to say someone can play even with a positive test without a second positive test, but it sure feels like baseball should have postponed the game or put him into quarantine after the 1st positive test instead of letting him go out there and risk everyone for 8 innings just in case that first one was a false positive. That seems woefully irresponsible.

Also, all test results (by protocol) are supposed to be in prior to the start of games. The idea of getting a positive test in the 8th inning isn't really part of the protocol.

I agree that Turner absolutely deserves some heat, but I think people are really over looking baseball's irresponsibility in this story completely. Like literally no one is talking about how baseball failed to do anything.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Dresden
RealGM

Post#948 » by Dresden » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:18 pm

"On Tuesday, the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy issued a press release of the Trump Administration’s science and technology accomplishments from President Donald Trump’s first term. The release accompanied the unveiling of a longer document from the Office and listed five highlights. Guess what the first one on the list was. “Ending the Covid-19 pandemic.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2020/10/28/white-house-touts-trumps-5-science-accomplishments-including-ending-the-pandemic/?sh=5354ba975f24

Meanwhile, the US reported a record 85,000+ cases yesterday....
Dresden
RealGM

Post#949 » by Dresden » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:24 pm

https://news.yahoo.com/american-fiasco-house-coronavirus-oversight-140019955.html

'American fiasco': House coronavirus oversight report rips Trump admin's pandemic response

A House subcommittee on the coronavirus crisis issued a report Friday blasting the Trump administration's response to the pandemic, calling it "among the worst failures of leadership in American history."

"The virus is a global scourge, but it has been an American fiasco, killing more people in the United States than in any other country," said the report, which the Democratic-run subcommittee of members of both parties released four days before Election Day.

The report includes recommendations on how to solve the issues the panel discovered going forward. These include increasing transparency on the spread of the virus and providing consistent public health advice; implementing a science-based national response plan and ending what it said were efforts to silence or punish federal employees who insist on following science; ensuring low-income people know about their eligibility for aid; and putting additional oversight in place to lessen the risk of fraud and waste in small-business loans and other relief measures.
d boy gentleman
Analyst
And1: 1,311

Post#950 » by d boy gentleman » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:55 am

I don't know of this is the right place to post, but here goes:

Monday, my dad calls me @ 7am to tell me he found my mom unconscious on the floor. He, along with my sisters carry her to be tested for Covid and not only is she positive, but so are they.

If you would, please keep my family in your prayers.

Thank you...
coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.

sco wrote: New Orleans has to be one of the, if not THE hardest city to eat healthy. I think they fry the water.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#951 » by Dresden » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:31 am

d boy gentleman wrote:I don't know of this is the right place to post, but here goes:

Monday, my dad calls me @ 7am to tell me he found my mom unconscious on the floor. He, along with my sisters carry her to be tested for Covid and not only is she positive, but so are they.

Thank you...

So sorry to hear about your family. Hope they all recover quickly.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Post#952 » by PlayerUp » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:09 am

dice wrote:whether Duterte follows through with his threat or not is, of course, TBD. but he did just say that he will ask the police to be more strict and that the government will have "no qualms in arresting people"

Wanted to follow up on this here. As I told you, nothing happened with Duterte. The media overexaggerates everything as they commonly do. Duterte has kept the Philippines stable with COVID-19 despite it being the most condensed area of the world. His technique of being aggressive with people, implementing curfews and quarantines mostly worked. He may make threats but it's rare for any of these aggressive policies to actually be enforced. The death rate is low and he's done a pretty decent job despite the mass people still not following protocols.

https://asiatimes.com/2020/10/why-duterte-is-the-worlds-most-popular-leader/

He now is the most popular leader in Asia. I'm not pro or anti Duterte but I had to call this BS out as it's disturbing how media and the internet is polarizing peoples political views these days.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#953 » by Chi town » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:15 pm

d boy gentleman wrote:I don't know of this is the right place to post, but here goes:

Thank you...

Prayers going up right now brother.
d boy gentleman
Analyst
And1: 1,311

Post#954 » by d boy gentleman » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:10 pm

Chi town wrote:

Thank you...

Prayers going up right now brother.

Thanks
coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.

sco wrote: New Orleans has to be one of the, if not THE hardest city to eat healthy. I think they fry the water.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#955 » by dougthonus » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:07 pm

Thank you...

Best wishes to your family
@doug_thonus on twitter
Jimako10
Analyst
And1: 1,593

Post#956 » by Jimako10 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:29 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Dresden wrote:you would think though, that at some point the incidence of Covid would start to make it clear: those areas with the least compliance in terms of mask wearing, social distancing, etc, would see the worst outbreaks. And then everyone would see the truth. That hasn't really happened yet.

:dontknow:

The infection rate + serious side effect rate is still low enough that I don't think the virus is ever going to punish people enough to change national behavior. So far you have a 1 in 50 chance of getting it. It's just not high enough risk that people are willing to change behavior.

Out of curiosity, where did you get this number? The odds heavily fluctuate depending on your health and behavior.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,606

Post#957 » by DuckIII » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:31 pm

Dresden wrote:"On Tuesday, the White House Office of Science and Technology . . .

That’s a funny title.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#958 » by transplant » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:35 pm

Thank you...

You got it. Best wishes to you and your family.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#959 » by dougthonus » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:05 pm

Jimako10 wrote:Out of curiosity, where did you get this number? The odds heavily fluctuate depending on your health and behavior.

Was just a number made up by looking cases vs population in the country, wasn't meant to be scientifically based or anything. Absolutely agree odds change radically based on behavior.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,635

Post#960 » by Dez » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:43 pm

Back-to-back doughnuts in Victoria, haven't had double figures since October 13 with 10.

Return to Chicago Bulls