Image ImageImage Image

Chandler Hutchison - What's the take?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,748

Re: Chandler Hutchison - What's the take? 

Post#21 » by dougthonus » Wed Jul 8, 2020 11:13 am

sco wrote:I think he'll have one more shot next season to show what he's got. With Otto likely going, it makes sense for the Bulls to give him some opportunity.

I agree he'll get another shot this year. I just don't expect that one more shot to yield much in the way of results. You never know though. It really is hard to predict what any person will do improvement wise.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#22 » by sco » Wed Jul 8, 2020 11:45 am

dougthonus wrote:
sco wrote:I think he'll have one more shot next season to show what he's got. With Otto likely going, it makes sense for the Bulls to give him some opportunity.

I agree he'll get another shot this year. I just don't expect that one more shot to yield much in the way of results. You never know though. It really is hard to predict what any person will do improvement wise.

I'll be optimistic. If he can just stay healthy, I think he can become a useful rotation player as a wing defender with enough offense to not let teams do what they do against Dunn.
:clap:
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#23 » by dougthonus » Wed Jul 8, 2020 11:55 am

sco wrote:I'll be optimistic. If he can just stay healthy, I think he can become a useful rotation player as a wing defender with enough offense to not let teams do what they do against Dunn.

I don't think he'll have anywhere near the defensive impact of Dunn. I think teams will sag on him somewhat similarly on the perimeter, but Dunn at least has some ball handling and passing skills to hurt you on the drive. That said, we'll see what Chandler has done to improve his game this off-season. His injuries have robbed him of some opportunity we would expect.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#24 » by Axolotl » Wed Jul 8, 2020 1:33 pm

He slashes well, is pretty good in open court and fast breaks and is a serviceable defender. If he stays healthy, develops a bit and adds a respectable enough shot, he'll have a place in the league.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
sco
RealGM

Post#25 » by sco » Wed Jul 8, 2020 1:38 pm

dougthonus wrote:
sco wrote:I'll be optimistic. If he can just stay healthy, I think he can become a useful rotation player as a wing defender with enough offense to not let teams do what they do against Dunn.

I don't think he'll have anywhere near the defensive impact of Dunn. I think teams will sag on him somewhat similarly on the perimeter, but Dunn at least has some ball handling and passing skills to hurt you on the drive. That said, we'll see what Chandler has done to improve his game this off-season. His injuries have robbed him of some opportunity we would expect.

Dunn was a great guard defender, but IMO, Hutch did a very good job on forwards. Hutch showed a very nice ability to get to the rim and draw contact, he was getting better at 3's, but sagging off him let him get a head of steam going to the rim. I'm not saying he was Giannis, but was effective enough where he's make teams think twice about leaving him alone.
TeamMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 554

Post#26 » by TeamMan » Wed Jul 8, 2020 2:01 pm

dougthonus wrote:

These two posts relate to my previous post about Hutch playing SG.

IMO he has not future with the Bulls playing SF.

I've also said that I expect the Bulls to draft a SF in this years draft, with the possibility that they might try to trade either Lauri or WCJ to move up in the draft.

So, I'm wondering when/if another team will make the Bulls an offer for Hutch (with the intention of moving him to SG).

That could also be part of a deal for the Bulls to move up in the draft.
sco
RealGM

Post#27 » by sco » Wed Jul 8, 2020 2:10 pm

TeamMan wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

I've also said that I expect the Bulls to draft a SF in this years draft, with the possibility that they might try to trade either Lauri or WCJ to move up in the draft.

So, I'm wondering when/if another team will make the Bulls an offer for Hutch (with the intention of moving him to SG).

Um...don't shooting guards need to shoot? Dude is a SF in terms of size and NBA role.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#28 » by Andi Obst » Wed Jul 8, 2020 2:27 pm

Hutch is definitely not a guard. The hope should be that he becomes an option at both forward spots because - as others have already said - you can't have enough depth there.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#29 » by drosereturn » Wed Jul 8, 2020 2:33 pm

sco wrote:
TeamMan wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Um...don't shooting guards need to shoot? Dude is a SF in terms of size and NBA role.

a sg that cannot shoot has no place in the league. he is a replacement level bench 3and D that will be out of the league soon.
so many players on the roster have the same problem with Hutch. Dunn, Shaq, Mokoka, Felicio are all useless on offense.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,126

Post#30 » by Jvaughn » Wed Jul 8, 2020 2:59 pm

The other thing that kind of hampered his growth is when he was forced to play PF his rookie year due to team injuries. None of his skillset fits that role, and he was basically out there for opportunity baskets and rebounding. Was kind of a lost year in that regard.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
lostonbase
Starter
And1: 277

Post#31 » by lostonbase » Wed Jul 8, 2020 3:42 pm

TeamMan
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by TeamMan » Wed Jul 8, 2020 4:01 pm

kodo wrote:Excellent athlete and always a threat to dunk on defenders. Most of our contested dunks this season came from him or Gafford, not lavine, who mostly dunks in the open court uncontested.

When he first started playing he was accurate from 3 (mostly corners) and looked like he was finding his role, then he got hurt again and his performance tanked again. Specifically he was 40.9% from 3 for the season until his last 7 games.

Like a lot of Bulls, if he ever finds consistency in his health he'd be a good player but this is 2 years in a row where any progress was derailed by constant injury.

Showtime23 wrote:
sco wrote:
TeamMan wrote:These two posts relate to my previous post about Hutch playing SG.

a sg that cannot shoot has no place in the league. he is a replacement level bench 3and D that will be out of the league soon.
so many players on the roster have the same problem with Hutch. Dunn, Shaq, Mokoka, Felicio are all useless on offense.

Arguably, Hutch is the best finisher on the break going coast to coast, but especially in traffic after driving to the basket.

Somewhere in this thread someone points out that Zach doesn't normally dunk the ball in traffic.

Something else is that he is very quick on defense with a 7-foot wingspan, and possibly could be an outstanding defender at the SG position.

However, the truth is that we can only speculate about what Hutch might do as a SG, because we had a FO that was bringing in players because of how they fit into their future plans for the Lux Tax, and not on best using the talent on the team to win games.

But I've seen other players leave the Bulls and become a success in the NBA because a team used them in a way that maximized their talent.

My prediction is that Hutch could be the next Bulls player that will be better after he leaves the Bulls.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#33 » by Ccwatercraft » Wed Jul 8, 2020 4:06 pm

dougthonus wrote:

Given his salary and what happened with injuries makes that a no brainer IMO. No reason to not hold onto him next season that i can see unless we need the space.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#34 » by dougthonus » Wed Jul 8, 2020 4:43 pm

Ccwatercraft wrote:Given his salary and what happened with injuries makes that a no brainer IMO. No reason to not hold onto him next season that i can see unless we need the space.

For sure. I'm not hopeful, but there's every reason to give it a try, because he's been injured your sample size of him was small, so there's more hope than a normal third year guy, and he has no trade value or other opportunity cost in terms of moving him.
@doug_thonus on twitter
sco
RealGM

Post#35 » by sco » Wed Jul 8, 2020 4:48 pm

TeamMan wrote:
kodo wrote:Excellent athlete and always a threat to dunk on defenders. Most of our contested dunks this season came from him or Gafford, not lavine, who mostly dunks in the open court uncontested.

When he first started playing he was accurate from 3 (mostly corners) and looked like he was finding his role, then he got hurt again and his performance tanked again. Specifically he was 40.9% from 3 for the season until his last 7 games.

Like a lot of Bulls, if he ever finds consistency in his health he'd be a good player but this is 2 years in a row where any progress was derailed by constant injury.

Showtime23 wrote:
sco wrote:Um...don't shooting guards need to shoot? Dude is a SF in terms of size and NBA role.

Arguably, Hutch is the best finisher on the break going coast to coast, but especially in traffic after driving to the basket.

Somewhere in this thread someone points out that Zach doesn't normally dunk the ball in traffic.

Something else is that he is very quick on defense with a 7-foot wingspan, and possibly could be an outstanding defender at the SG position.

However, the truth is that we can only speculate about what Hutch might do as a SG, because we had a FO that was bringing in players because of how they fit into their future plans for the Lux Tax, and not on best using the talent on the team to win games.

But I've seen other players leave the Bulls and become a success in the NBA because a team used them in a way that maximized their talent.

My prediction is that Hutch could be the next Bulls player that will be better after he leaves the Bulls.

I don't get why you guys are saying he's a SG? It's like saying Lauri is a SF. His size and game are totally suited to SF.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,081

Post#36 » by MrSparkle » Wed Jul 8, 2020 4:55 pm

Little Nathan wrote:Hutch is definitely not a guard. The hope should be that he becomes an option at both forward spots because - as others have already said - you can't have enough depth there.

I will disagree here.

I'm all about playing tall at SG. He's not a good shooter, but he has a base-line skills to play SG, and he can definitely defend the position.

Our best years in the last 22 seasons have been with a robust defensive wing rotation at SG (Bogans and Brewer, with Korver as the shooting spark). I realize Rose and the depth chart was excellent, but I also think it's just a simple premise; having length and athleticism at SG & SF makes better defense, especially when you have an above-average (weight/frame) point guard.

We went really wrong in 2014 when we went the way of Dunleavy and McDermott - sure they were tall, but slow. Went really, really wrong last season when we went the way of 7 undersized guards who can't guard wings (including Valentine, Sato and Zach - I don't think you'll ever see these guys successfully guard a Kawhi, George, Durant or Lebron - too laterally slow or poor fundamentally to make up for their fringe SG height).

How many Lebron, Durant/Iguodala, Kawhi/Green finals do we need to see to get the point? Before then it was Kobe/Artest/Ariza and Pierce/Ray/Posey. You look at that 10/11 Mavs team: they didn't have AAA wings, but they did have a lot of two-way depth: the versatile Marion, Stevensen (very good defender in his prime), Brewer, Cardinal, Peja, Caron for the reg. season, not to mention Kidd was a 6'6 PG and All-Defensive player which allowed him to switch.

I don't mind seeing what Hutchinson can do at guard. He's got the feet to defend the position. Jimmy Butler emerged by shifting to SG.

(note: I'm not high on Hutchinson. Just saying, he's an alright wing prospect who should be able to swing SG minutes)

I'll keep harping on it, but we've gotta lose the small guard armada. I think GarPax in their obsession to find a PG (and somehow amazingly dumped for nothing the best one that fell into their hands, Dinwiddie) have been shooting fish in a barrel.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#37 » by Andi Obst » Wed Jul 8, 2020 5:53 pm

MrSparkle wrote:I'll keep harping on it, but we've gotta lose the small guard armada. I think GarPax in their obsession to find a PG (and somehow amazingly dumped for nothing the best one that fell into their hands, Dinwiddie) have been shooting fish in a barrel.

I get your point and hopefully Hutch proves me wrong, but I don't think he's skilled enough to play at the 2. Has nothing to do with size. I just see a backup forward who brings solid defense and energy as his best outcome.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
MikeDC
Analyst
And1: 1,917

Post#38 » by MikeDC » Wed Jul 8, 2020 6:02 pm

MrSparkle wrote:
Little Nathan wrote:Hutch is definitely not a guard. The hope should be that he becomes an option at both forward spots because - as others have already said - you can't have enough depth there.

I will disagree here.

I'm all about playing tall at SG. He's not a good shooter, but he has a base-line skills to play SG, and he can definitely defend the position.

Size and athleticism aren't skills.

When we're talking about defense, and talking about whether a guy can defend SGs, we're basically just meaning the guy has the size and athleticism to defend the position.

Yes, there's defensive technique and skill, but I hope you see my point. Calling a guy a shooting guard based on defense really doesn't address skill very much at all.

When we're talking about whether a guy is skilled enough to be a X, we're really talking about their basketball skills. With respect to a shooting guard, you want a guy who can shoot and be an alternative bringing the ball up the court and distributing. That's what your basic shooting guard is.

Can Hutch shoot? Nope.
Does Hutch have the handle you want in a guard? Nope. He barely has the handle you want in a forward.
Does Hutch make good passes and take care of the ball? Nope. He tends to turn the ball over quite a lot.

He's totally not a SG.

If we're being honest about it, his most effective role is probably as a poor-man's Thad Young. Similar body, somewhat similar but much less productive game. Basically an undersized but athletic PF. Unfortunately, this still doesn't get you very far, because Thad was (even a couple years younger) a much more talented offensive player across the board.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#39 » by MrFortune3 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 6:21 pm

Hutch is going to need to show improvement in his game to stick. This is going to be his last shot to find a role with the Bulls and he needs to remain healthy.
TeamMan
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by TeamMan » Wed Jul 8, 2020 7:24 pm

MikeDC wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:

I will disagree here.

Size and athleticism aren't skills.

When we're talking about defense, and talking about whether a guy can defend SGs, we're basically just meaning the guy has the size and athleticism to defend the position.

Yes, there's defensive technique and skill, but I hope you see my point. Calling a guy a shooting guard based on defense really doesn't address skill very much at all.

When we're talking about whether a guy is skilled enough to be a X, we're really talking about their basketball skills. With respect to a shooting guard, you want a guy who can shoot and be an alternative bringing the ball up the court and distributing. That's what your basic shooting guard is.

Can Hutch shoot? Nope.
Does Hutch have the handle you want in a guard? Nope. He barely has the handle you want in a forward.
Does Hutch make good passes and take care of the ball? Nope. He tends to turn the ball over quite a lot.

He's totally not a SG.

If we're being honest about it, his most effective role is probably as a poor-man's Thad Young. Similar body, somewhat similar but much less productive game. Basically an undersized but athletic PF. Unfortunately, this still doesn't get you very far, because Thad was (even a couple years younger) a much more talented offensive player across the board.

Hutch has no future as a SF.

So if the Bulls have made up their mind that they won't even try him at SG, then (at 24 years old) they might as well put him in a package and make a trade to get a player that has a future as a SF.

Return to Chicago Bulls