Image ImageImage Image

Your Best Bulls' Draft Call, and Your Worst?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,216

Re: Your Best Bulls' Draft Call, and Your Worst? 

Post#21 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:56 pm

I don’t know that it was my worst call but I was a huge Odom fan. Watching him run the fast break in RI I wanted the Bulls to take him, I thought he was going to be the next Magic but bigger. I hated the Brand pick because I would have taken Odom or Stevie. I even called Mike North and complained about it and later had to public ally eat crow.
wickywack
Junior
And1: 293

Post#22 » by wickywack » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:27 pm

Worst: Showing my age, but Stacey King in 89. Bulls had just made to the ECF. King was in the discussion as the potential #1 overall pick, and it was destiny when he dropped to the Bulls. Clearly the low post stud the Bulls were missing inside. Or not.

Best: Brandon Clarke. He was the classic Pax pick of about 10 years ago back when Pax was good at drafting. Get the obvious winner. Don't overthink it or try to outsmart yourself (too "old", limited upside).
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,451

Post#23 » by samwana » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:51 pm

Worst, I thought Kirk Snyder would become a great player.. (2004)

Best, Jo, I wanted Jo and I was more than happy. It was great to have him on the team!

Sent from my POT-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,371

Post#24 » by drosestruts » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:12 pm

We never got the chance to draft him but I was very anti Giannis at the time of his draft. I also remember really wanting to draft Isaiah Hartenstein with our 2nd round pick (the one I think we eventually traded for cash). Which cash might be the better option there.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,523

Post#25 » by dice » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:42 am

wickywack wrote:Worst: Showing my age, but Stacey King in 89. Bulls had just made to the ECF. King was in the discussion as the potential #1 overall pick, and it was destiny when he dropped to the Bulls. Clearly the low post stud the Bulls were missing inside. Or not.

Best: Brandon Clarke. He was the classic Pax pick of about 10 years ago back when Pax was good at drafting. Get the obvious winner. Don't overthink it or try to outsmart yourself (too "old", limited upside).

stacey was such a big disappointment
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#26 » by dice » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:43 am

Michael Jackson wrote:I don’t know that it was my worst call but I was a huge Odom fan. Watching him run the fast break in RI I wanted the Bulls to take him, I thought he was going to be the next Magic but bigger. I hated the Brand pick because I would have taken Odom or Stevie. I even called Mike North and complained about it and later had to public ally eat crow.

well, odom arguably had a more impactful career than brand

didn't realize that francis was #2 overall pick
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,175

Post#27 » by HomoSapien » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:12 am

My best call was Bam Adebayo. I was really high on him and wanted the Bulls to get him.

My biggest whiff was Tyrus Thomas. I really thought he had the "It Factor" and that he'd be a franchise cornerstone. To this day, I think he had the tools to be a bigger impact player than LaMarcus Aldridge.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#28 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:20 pm

dice wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:I don’t know that it was my worst call but I was a huge Odom fan. Watching him run the fast break in RI I wanted the Bulls to take him, I thought he was going to be the next Magic but bigger. I hated the Brand pick because I would have taken Odom or Stevie. I even called Mike North and complained about it and later had to public ally eat crow.

True but it took a lot for Odom to get his act together and it wouldn’t have really happened without playing with Kobe. Brand was a much better foundation guy for a rebuilding team. Maybe Lamar wouldn’t have had such a shakey start if it wasn’t in LA on the Clippers though.

Watching Franchise throw a fit when drafted kind of made me glad he wasn’t picked but, John Elway also threw a fit. In retrospect Steve may have been the best choice although the chemistry between Steve and Artest would have been interesting.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,755

Post#29 » by Jeffster81 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:35 pm

Best: Butler and Jo.
Worst: Teague and Corey Benjamin
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#30 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:05 pm

dice wrote:

I did love this game though. I was a huge Odom fan I read an article on him before the freshman season and followed him all year, knowing the Bulls would draft high. That was likely the first draft class I realllllllly followed because although I recall Jordan being drafted I had no clue at that age. Then well the dynasty happened.

dice
RealGM

Post#31 » by dice » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:19 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
dice wrote:

True but it took a lot for Odom to get his act together and it wouldn’t have really happened without playing with Kobe. Brand was a much better foundation guy for a rebuilding team.

true, but he was the primary piece in a trade for shaq, so obviously his potential was highly valued. he had shown promise at times

kinda ironic that he consulted kobe about potentially coming to the nba straight from HS. he didn't and got in a whole lot of trouble before and during college
Rose2Boozer
Starter
And1: 647

Post#32 » by Rose2Boozer » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:02 am

2004: I wanted Deng and Iggy instead of Gordon and Deng(Good Call)

2006: Aldridge over Thomas was a no brainer for me.(Good Call)

2014: Trading two first round picks for McNothing still gives me a headache(Good Call)

2018: I really wanted Mitchell Robinson over Chandler.(Good Call)

2001: I was excited to get Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler.(Bad Call)

2002: Jay Williams was my guy coming out of Duke.(Bad Call)

2000: I thought A.J Guyton would be a solid pro.(Bad Call)

2009: I wanted B.J Mullens over James Johnson(Bad Call)
ROLES & HOLES
Loclown
Bench Warmer
And1: 12

Post#33 » by Loclown » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:51 am

Best: I called Jimmy Butler before the draft.

Worst: I thought CHI should draft Beasley over Rose because we already had Kirk. I did change my mind after researching prior to the draft.
Who else thinks they could draft better than all Chicago teams?

Return to Chicago Bulls