BigUps wrote:I know there's smoke and where there is smoke there is typically a fire, but I just can't see how they keep Boylen. I feel like this is a story created because of the lull in action. There's no reason to fire Boylen at this moment, but once the season is actually over there will be.
I can't see him being around next year as the head coach. The damage he's done is evident. His presence will do nothing but remind people of the GarPax regime and I have to assume AK and team have someone in their minds as the future coach, but just aren't going to announce it until after seasons end.
With that said, I do appreciate that AK is giving Boylen a chance. To me, thats good leadership. Don't come in and assume everything is broken before assessing the situation. I have respect for that.
I'm not trying to pick on you specifically, but this kind of opinion is what's largely responsible for the decline of Western Civilization.
As a society and a culture, we've gotten to the point where we often unconsciously and instinctively want to go away from the overwhelming majority of the evidence and cling to the possibility of an exception.
This kind of stuff is subtle, but as someone with an academic background, I know this is present even in things like basic research. Instead of looking at what's true 99% of the time, we twist and turn the data to find the 1% of exceptions and then, ridiculously, spend 99% of our time and energy on this 1%. Like, to give an example, the whole stupid thing about wearing masks with COVID. Nobody really bothered studying whether wearing masks was effective, because it was so obvious. So when we suddenly needed to wear masks, there really wasn't a lot of research to draw on, and what was there was kind of goofy stuff about how in some obscure unlikely scenario, wearing a mask could be counterproductive.
And thus... the situation has evolved to the utter societal stupidity we see around us.
The point is, we are too often too clever by half. Too afraid to be right. Too willing to put our trust in the 1 doctor who disagrees instead of the 99 who agree.
This is present in every level of society, and it's even present in how we think about goofy things like Sports. And Boylen.
Have the courage of your convictions. It's not good leadership to waste time and energy considering the (in this case much less than) 1% chance when 99% of the evidence says the guy is a terrible coach.
All those places around the world that still take life seriously and have their **** together? Germany China, Korea, etc? They don't think this way. The understand that, sure, there are exceptions to rules, and you should be aware of that possibility, but usually the rule is the rule and not the exception. They have the confidence and the common sense to act.
We, as a society, are seriously lacking in that.