Image ImageImage Image

KC: Boylen Believes He's Forming Strong Relationship With New Regime

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Re: KC: Boylen Believes He's Forming Strong Relationship With New Regime 

Post#41 » by drosereturn » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:47 pm

weneeda2guard wrote:I'm not worried about it at all.

Once that teams left out bubble happens and the public can be reminded of how disorganized and poorly coached we are, the pressure will mount to move on from boylen and the new regime will oblige.

No thats not how it works. If your a petty billionaire losing 9 figures every yr, your not even willing to spend a single dime.
At least rich people know what I am talking about. If your spending money on 3 coaches at once, thats not spending it wisely regardless of how wealthy you are. Rich people didnt get rich by spending lavishly whether Boylen is good or bad.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#42 » by PaKii94 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:50 pm

dougthonus wrote:
ImSlower wrote:
dougthonus wrote:Would love to read the whole article, but after buying the athletic last year and looking at probably five or six articles all year, I'm not going to purchase it again just for this one.

Even greater bummer, looked and my subscription ended just five days ago :lol:

Doug, was it simply an issue of you never getting around to reading the site, or a question of quality? I think my subscription there, my first ever online-only paid written content, has been vastly worth it. Mayberry is excellent. Mark Saxon for my Cardinals is pretty dang good, though I have a blog I frequent that's so superb for Cardinals content that the Athletic is mere icing. I'm a baseball geek moreso than basketball, and Joe Posnanski alone deserves my money for how fun his 280,000 word 100 Greatest Baseball Players columns were (despite his terribly wrong and stupid opinions on certain players I loathe).

Their stable of NBA writers is impressive. The comments section suffers from some very vocal but well-spoken trolls, but in general has a lot of great contributors beyond the paid staff.

No worries; I only would have guessed you'd be an avid reader there.

And on the topic of that article, dammmmn Mayberry is perhaps at his best when he is voicing the displeasures of many fans in his silky smooth and even-handed delivery. My "Boylen sucks, I hate his timeouts and 3rd quarters, he looks like Jeff Daniels, and he should be fired." is a stale cheeseburger, but Mayberry delivers the best slow smoked brisket in the county.

Honestly no idea really. I think in general, if a site is mainly op-ed, that I'd rather just be on a forum which is more interactive. So for op-ed stuff, I get my fix reading opinions here. I didn't find Mayberry/Noh to be particularly better than say anyone writing for blog-a-bull or my own blog when I had one. Nothing wrong with that, I found them to be exceptional bloggers, but that didn't stand out enough for me to visit the site compared to this one which just aggregates all useful information and is more interactive.

I don't actually mind paying for content, I've paid for ESPN Insider for probably nearly as long as it has existed, and I'll pay for other written content too when I think it is valuable and unique. I could see why someone would say these writers are really top notch, but I didn't consume enough of their stuff to care.

I also literally only ever read their Bulls stuff, so maybe I'd be more interested in the overall stuff, but there are so many good sites for general NBA content.

I got the subscription during the annual sale. It's good writing but it's never anything new or particularly more insightful compared to the nonpaid sports reporting. It's never "missing out" without it. But as with all things bulls for me, it's interesting to have another POV into the players/team
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,426

Post#43 » by ImSlower » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:08 pm

Hey, to each his own. I think reading ESPN articles feels like I'm reading a high school circular and TMZ rolled into one, and am quite glad that I never actually need to click on anything related to it due to forums like this summarizing any article with a lick of interest. I suppose that if you solely spend time on a single team, it's to be understood that free blogs and a great forum like this would suffice. I visit vivaelbirdos daily for my superb Cardinals writing. I enjoy the Athletic as an aggregate of a bunch of great writers, and it's gotten me to read a lot more about teams I'd otherwise not pay much attention to. I bet during the shutdown I have averaged 30 to 60 minutes a day on the site, so the deal I got (like 67% off for the Black Friday deal) makes it even more of a lasting value for me. I will let the sub stretch to full price once my initial offer expires.

In theory a lot of the podcasts there (as much as anywhere else) have a lot of great content for my payment, but for whatever reason I simply cannot enjoy that specific media. Same reason I can't stand talk radio; it simply drives me mad. I need music pumping through my ears the way Baby Driver does. Though his taste far exceeds my own. Then again, I have a friend I consider brilliant who loathes written online media, as screens irritate his eyes; he listens or contributes to podcasts and radio call-ins for hours a day.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,703

Post#44 » by dougthonus » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:09 pm

ImSlower wrote:Hey, to each his own. I think reading ESPN articles feels like I'm reading a high school circular and TMZ rolled into one, and am quite glad that I never actually need to click on anything related to it due to forums like this summarizing any article with a lick of interest. I suppose that if you solely spend time on a single team, it's to be understood that free blogs and a great forum like this would suffice. I visit vivaelbirdos daily for my superb Cardinals writing. I enjoy the Athletic as an aggregate of a bunch of great writers, and it's gotten me to read a lot more about teams I'd otherwise not pay much attention to. I bet during the shutdown I have averaged 30 to 60 minutes a day on the site, so the deal I got (like 67% off for the Black Friday deal) makes it even more of a lasting value for me. I will let the sub stretch to full price once my initial offer expires.

In theory a lot of the podcasts there (as much as anywhere else) have a lot of great content for my payment, but for whatever reason I simply cannot enjoy that specific media. Same reason I can't stand talk radio; it simply drives me mad. I need music pumping through my ears the way Baby Driver does. Though his taste far exceeds my own. Then again, I have a friend I consider brilliant who loathes written online media, as screens irritate his eyes; he listens or contributes to podcasts and radio call-ins for hours a day.

Totally get why you wouldn't want to pay for ESPN Insider, but I'm surprised you'd think the quality of the content there is low or TMZ like. They have a lot of really high quality people there. I'm a bit less interested in it now than I was in the past, but Hollinger, Simmons, Lowe, and Stein were all really excellent IMO. A lot of the big stats guys went to other places and independents also came up with a lot of great stat stuff since, but ESPN really used to do a lot of good deep analysis in the past.

Also, FWIW, I never paid more than $10 a year for ESPN insider, which I typically got by paying for a four year subscription to the magazine for $30-40 through some discounter and using the magazine subscription to activate the site subscription. Looks like ESPN the magazine folded, because I just went to look to see what kind of deal you could get now on it, and it's gone. I won't be paying $50 a year or whatever ESPN Insider is going forward.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,235

Post#45 » by kodo » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:27 pm

This doesn't surprise me. People here wanted the new FO to do Big Things right away, trade everyone, field a brand new team, fire Boylen and get a new coaching staff top to bottom.

So far what we've heard from our Bulls media sources is the exact opposite, that AK wants to evaluate the entire team before making any major moves.
Publicly, Karnisovas has made it clear he wants to get to know Boylen and his staff and also watch him in action before making a decison on his future.

- KC

This isn't unreasonable. We don't even know if AK followed the Bulls at all, why would a WC contender exec be following an EC bottom feeder closely enough to make calls like this. Most of this board might have seen more Bulls games last season than AK.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#46 » by transplant » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:17 pm

Boylen is a clown. Dead. Man. Walking.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#47 » by PaKii94 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:50 pm

While I also think we need to move on from Boylen, it would be a great case study if Boylen did return next year, somehow became competent and the bulls started making waves
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#48 » by dougthonus » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:09 pm

PaKii94 wrote:While I also think we need to move on from Boylen, it would be a great case study if Boylen did return next year, somehow became competent and the bulls started making waves

I wouldn't be all that surprised if that happened, but I wouldn't give much credit for Boylen if it did. I also don't give him nearly as much blame as most people for the last year.

I think he's probably pretty bad based on some things we've seen, but his situation is so lousy that it wouldn't surprise me if people just lumped way too much blame on him for that and that he actually did well with a healthy roster. It's not my expectation, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#49 » by Jiipee84 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:17 am

Great absolutely **** great.
If Karnisovas really allows Reinsdorks ( father and son ) and Paxson walk over him
and his so called full autonomy to all basketball related decisions
then it's better Karnisovas packs his bags and goes back to Denver.

If Jim '' the clown'' Boylen is still a head coach when 2020-2021 NBA season starts
i will boycott all bulls games so long when Jimbo is officially fired to Chicago Bulls head coaches position.

I will not pay 110 euros for Chicago Bulls NBA league pass subscription again to watch losing basketball that's a damn sure.
Get that **** Boylen out before it's too late.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,208

Post#50 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:45 am

Showtime23 wrote:
weneeda2guard wrote:I'm not worried about it at all.

Once that teams left out bubble happens and the public can be reminded of how disorganized and poorly coached we are, the pressure will mount to move on from boylen and the new regime will oblige.

No thats not how it works. If your a petty billionaire losing 9 figures every yr, your not even willing to spend a single dime.
At least rich people know what I am talking about. If your spending money on 3 coaches at once, thats not spending it wisely regardless of how wealthy you are. Rich people didnt get rich by spending lavishly whether Boylen is good or bad.

When you have 9 figure losses the paltry 1 million on Boylen doesn’t even register. Fred’s money is half deferred to Nebraska anyway. It’s not like they woukd be paying for 3 coaches, they would realistically be paying for 1.5. Michael Reinsdorf knows that eating that million gets more in revenue than sticking with Jimbo. Jim makes 1/8th of what Felicio does. They can eat that.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#51 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:47 am

dougthonus wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:While I also think we need to move on from Boylen, it would be a great case study if Boylen did return next year, somehow became competent and the bulls started making waves

I wouldn't be all that surprised if that happened, but I wouldn't give much credit for Boylen if it did. I also don't give him nearly as much blame as most people for the last year.

I think he's probably pretty bad based on some things we've seen, but his situation is so lousy that it wouldn't surprise me if people just lumped way too much blame on him for that and that he actually did well with a healthy roster. It's not my expectation, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Yes he isn’t as bad as made out to be, but he also isn’t head coach material either.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,786

Post#52 » by Jcool0 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:59 am

Michael Jackson wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Yes he isn’t as bad as made out to be, but he also isn’t head coach material either.

He may not be the worst head coach of all time.... But he is the worst head coaching currently in the NBA.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#53 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:40 am

Jcool0 wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

He may not be the worst head coach of all time.... But he is the worst head coaching currently in the NBA.

It is pretty shocking some of the things he does. The simple fact that the most entertaining thing watching the Bulls this year was his post game presser (I watched more of those than games I think) still I am not sure he is any worse than Fred. That is not an endorsement of any kind though since I thought the hiring of Fred was awful before it happened. I hated the every aspect of that, not sure Jim is actually a worse coach, but without doubt Fred was more likable and knew how to handle a press conference and call a time out. Jim was the wrong guy and the situation was horrible to that he was put in. Honestly the Bulls thought so little of him they had to give him a raise to still make him the lowest paid head coach out there. This is the product they offered their fans lol. Lucky us!
robert76
Junior
And1: 232

Post#54 » by robert76 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:41 am

kodo wrote:This doesn't surprise me. People here wanted the new FO to do Big Things right away, trade everyone, field a brand new team, fire Boylen and get a new coaching staff top to bottom.

So far what we've heard from our Bulls media sources is the exact opposite, that AK wants to evaluate the entire team before making any major moves.
Publicly, Karnisovas has made it clear he wants to get to know Boylen and his staff and also watch him in action before making a decison on his future.

- KC

This isn't unreasonable. We don't even know if AK followed the Bulls at all, why would a WC contender exec be following an EC bottom feeder closely enough to make calls like this. Most of this board might have seen more Bulls games last season than AK.

I think it's safe to say it's in the job description of every NBA executive to watch every team in the league from time to time. You can't make trades if you don't have any idea about the players on other teams.
Threekola
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#55 » by Threekola » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:21 am

If the new management team keeps Boylen, well, then, color me skeptical that they are competent. I guess that's the nice way to say it. Honestly concerned they haven't canned him yet...
chitowndish
Pro Prospect
And1: 464

Post#56 » by chitowndish » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:52 am

This seems really strange to me how hard they are fighting for Boylen, they are fighting harder for this guy than they fought for their own jobs. Michael fired Gar who was basically his wife's BFF and had built stronger relationships than Boylen. I think they got Boylen to tank that first year (he made a lot of moves with that offense that looked like tanking) then I think last year he was supposed to get his shot to really coach and the team went to crap legitimately because of the OPJ injury.

This is just purely conjecture but I think they feel bad that the only chance this guy got to coach he spent most of it doing what the FO wanted in order for the team to get a good pick and they want to give him a legit chance to coach because he was a good soldier for them. That's really the only thing I can think of as to why they would be so defensive about this guy. Maybe I'm way off base with that but it makes a lot of things fall into place so I think it may be true. This may be less about giving him a chance to stay and more about giving him a chance to show what he can do for his next position. I think the first year they flat out told him to tank and last year Pax was getting really involved in telling him what to do so this could be his chance to coach without interruptions from the FO and give him a chance to improve the perception of him around the league.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#57 » by dougthonus » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:46 am

Jcool0 wrote:He may not be the worst head coach of all time.... But he is the worst head coaching currently in the NBA.

I think his situation has made it too hard to make that type of evaluation to me, but I think he's probably a bottom 10 coach in the league. The thing is I doubt any of us are watching all the teams day in and day out to evaluate their coaches.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,631

Post#58 » by Dez » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:44 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:He may not be the worst head coach of all time.... But he is the worst head coaching currently in the NBA.

I think his situation has made it too hard to make that type of evaluation to me, but I think he's probably a bottom 10 coach in the league. The thing is I doubt any of us are watching all the teams day in and day out to evaluate their coaches.

Probably a bottom 10 coach? He's easily in the bottom 3 but realistically he's the worst.

Also people are taking Boylen believing something as confirmation, he'd never say anything else and it's just a click-bait quote.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#59 » by Leslie Forman » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:06 pm

I can't believe I gotta "defend" him, but Boylen's "hard" skills are actually very good IMO. He knows Xs and Os. He is willing to try new tactics, he understands modern basketball trends. The man somehow got Kris Dunn to be a useful player for chrissakes.

But he is absolutely incredibly awful at everything else, which is actually much more important when you're the head coach. It's just more damning evidence how awful MyHusbandPax's emotional intelligence is, that they thought this guy was great head coach material.

That said, he's still better than Hoiberg. Hoiberg lacked both soft skills and hard skills. He was a useless flesh sack. Now that's a guy who was clearly the worst head coach in the league during his time.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,786

Post#60 » by Jcool0 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:52 pm

Leslie Forman wrote:I can't believe I gotta "defend" him, but Boylen's "hard" skills are actually very good IMO. He knows Xs and Os. He is willing to try new tactics, he understands modern basketball trends. The man somehow got Kris Dunn to be a useful player for chrissakes.

But he is absolutely incredibly awful at everything else, which is actually much more important when you're the head coach. It's just more damning evidence how awful MyHusbandPax's emotional intelligence is, that they thought this guy was great head coach material.

That said, he's still better than Hoiberg. Hoiberg lacked both soft skills and hard skills. He was a useless flesh sack. Now that's a guy who was clearly the worst head coach in the league during his time.

DId he? I mean most think 7 million qualifying offer for Dunn is to much.

Return to Chicago Bulls