Image ImageImage Image

If you were AK, who is the first core player you would trade?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,174

Re: If you were AK, who is the first core player you would trade? 

Post#41 » by HomoSapien » Mon Aug 3, 2020 4:55 am

I know this isn’t the question, but the first move has to be firing Boylen. I’d be worried about trying to properly evaluate this roster until we make a coaching change. A lot of people are underachieving and in my opinion it’s because Boylen has lost the team.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,215

Post#42 » by Red8911 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 5:45 am

Carter, Porter should be the first ones shopped. Both good players who can actually bring back a decent return,especially Carter. Porter too he’s an expiring and a decent player, but I just don’t think he’s a serious player to keep here anymore. Too many injuries and from what I see from him he doesn’t take his work ethic too serious. He was out of shape to begin the season. Even though he was a huge reason why the bulls sucked this year( because of him not playing), I think it’s time to part ways with him.

Then also with Lauri I like him and would want to see him get a last chance but cant really blame AK if he were to trade him.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#43 » by logical_art » Mon Aug 3, 2020 6:31 am

I don't think the question is the right way to approach the offseason.

The approach to the offseason should be how can we get a difference making player. Nobody on the roster is off limits in that quest.
Onibuh
Senior
And1: 217

Post#44 » by Onibuh » Mon Aug 3, 2020 7:33 am

Lauri and Wendell. That being said, Boylen has to go first.

I'd Keep Coby and Lavine until we know who is the guy to Keep.
wonderboy2
Analyst
And1: 1,949

Post#45 » by wonderboy2 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 10:44 am

Not a core player but bulls should shop Sato. I’m willing to take anything.
nanokooshball
Sophomore
And1: 257

Post#46 » by nanokooshball » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:06 pm

HomoSapien wrote:I know this isn’t the question, but the first move has to be firing Boylen. I’d be worried about trying to properly evaluate this roster until we make a coaching change. A lot of people are underachieving and in my opinion it’s because Boylen has lost the team.

This 100%.
I think everyone is being used poorly.
I honestly think we have a potentially solid roster that could be a 4-6 playoff spot, with a very good coach.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#47 » by drosereturn » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:15 pm

Red8911 wrote:
Then also with Lauri I like him and would want to see him get a last chance but cant really blame AK if he were to trade him.

Agree with Porter, Carter only if they can get fair value but AK will never trade Lauri because he is a huge fan like me and they come from the same European roots he will def favor Lauri the most.
It would have to be some insane offer like one sun fan posted such as Oubre +10 to pry away Lauri. The Bulls could have had Doncic at the time and missed badly. So im not going to sell him off cheap when he had that kind of potential. If AK has full power, hire Finnish national coach to replace Boylen, Dirk as assistant, and empower Lauri as 1st option forcing him 20+ shots, I guarantee he makes all star within few yrs. Fans will be chanting Dirk whenever he makes a three or that signature one legged shot with Dirk cheerleading.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Post#48 » by the ultimates » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:44 pm

If you have to empower a player as the first option and force him 20+ shot a game then that dude ain't no first option.
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
Jimako10
Analyst
And1: 1,586

Post#49 » by Jimako10 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:53 pm

I don't think you could trade anyone until you see them in an offense that plays into each player's strengths. Lauri already has no value so there's no point in trading him. Lavine has value, but might be more impactful if put in an offense that doesn't make him create (just off ball shooting and dunking). Carter has defensive value but no offensive value. Coby might be the most valuable just because of the flashes he showed before the lock down while having 3 years left on a rookie contract, but you still aren't 100% sure where he's headed. Hopefully with a solid developmental structure in place from the new regime, he's able to reach his ceiling.

Otto, Sato, pretty much everyone else should be Hinkie'd off for whatever you can get.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,708

Post#50 » by dougthonus » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:06 pm

Red8911 wrote:Carter, Porter should be the first ones shopped. Both good players who can actually bring back a decent return,especially Carter. Porter too he’s an expiring and a decent player, but I just don’t think he’s a serious player to keep here anymore. Too many injuries and from what I see from him he doesn’t take his work ethic too serious. He was out of shape to begin the season. Even though he was a huge reason why the bulls sucked this year( because of him not playing), I think it’s time to part ways with him.

Can't imagine you'd get anything for Porter, though I'd be fine shopping him. Think you might get more for Carter if you let him play and he's healthy, but you can probably see what kind of shape he's in during the summer to see if he looks like he's improved or not. I have some questions around his work ethic right now and whether he'll actually develop.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
MikeDC
Analyst
And1: 1,917

Post#51 » by MikeDC » Mon Aug 3, 2020 3:10 pm

A basic thing to consider here is that a trade is going to define your overall strategic options.

The way I see it, the two basic ways of getting top flight players are through the draft and free agency (which means cap space).

Any trade we make, unless it's some kind of fantastical no-brainer for an all-NBA player, should facilitate rather than hinder that.

Like, trading away Porter (who's contract will expire next summer) for a guy with a longer deal would totally kill our ability to bring in a max guy.

Now, I'm not saying that shouldn't be done under any circumstances, but if you are foreclosing that option, you better be getting someone who's potentially that good as part of the trade. Otherwise, you're just setting yourself back.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#52 » by dougthonus » Mon Aug 3, 2020 6:10 pm

MikeDC wrote:A basic thing to consider here is that a trade is going to define your overall strategic options.

The way I see it, the two basic ways of getting top flight players are through the draft and free agency (which means cap space).

Any trade we make, unless it's some kind of fantastical no-brainer for an all-NBA player, should facilitate rather than hinder that.

Like, trading away Porter (who's contract will expire next summer) for a guy with a longer deal would totally kill our ability to bring in a max guy.

Now, I'm not saying that shouldn't be done under any circumstances, but if you are foreclosing that option, you better be getting someone who's potentially that good as part of the trade. Otherwise, you're just setting yourself back.

Unless the Bulls are much better than they've looked, FA is also an unlikely area to get anyone.

The Bulls likely need to get multiple max spots open and a 40 win season in a year with multiple big stars available in order to pull something off. That is what we've seen recently anyway. Seems like Chicago is pretty far away from opening up that type of possibility.

Still agree with your overall point, but I think FA requires quality results in terms of performance unless the guy you want just happens to have a preference for your city/team.
@doug_thonus on twitter
MikeDC
Analyst
And1: 1,917

Post#53 » by MikeDC » Mon Aug 3, 2020 6:38 pm

dougthonus wrote:
MikeDC wrote:A basic thing to consider here is that a trade is going to define your overall strategic options.

Unless the Bulls are much better than they've looked, FA is also an unlikely area to get anyone.

The Bulls likely need to get multiple max spots open and a 40 win season in a year with multiple big stars available in order to pull something off. That is what we've seen recently anyway. Seems like Chicago is pretty far away from opening up that type of possibility.

Still agree with your overall point, but I think FA requires quality results in terms of performance unless the guy you want just happens to have a preference for your city/team.

Major FA moves seem to mostly be a thing unto themselves as far as reasoning. The circumstances are basically unique to each situation.

What seems to be more important than the short-term record is the longer-term "institutional" track record of a team. This longer-term record is is what's going to work against the Bulls. They aren't liked, respected, or trusted.

That's a problem, but simply "not playing" and not trying to improve these aspects would make matters worse. The only solution is to develop this trust and respect. In this respect, the Bulls organizational rebuild is quite a bit more important than the player rebuild.

Also, this is why every day Boylen remains the coach is a day spent digging this hole deeper instead of a day spent digging out of it.
Hugi Mancura
Sixth Man
And1: 1,098

Post#54 » by Hugi Mancura » Mon Aug 3, 2020 7:30 pm

For me there's no difference makers, so everyone is on a block, if price is right. Boylen is a defensive coach who knows nothing about offense. He did make defense better, but sadly players value is defined by their ability on offensive end and on that pretty much everyone got worse (except Lavine). With the exception of Lavine the trade value of the players is not that good, so why trade them now? But on the case of Lavine his value is now highest it has never been and will it get higher? Sell while price is high? But I wouldn't trade anyone. I would try to find different type of coach and see if he can at least improve players trade values before trading those players.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#55 » by dougthonus » Mon Aug 3, 2020 8:34 pm

MikeDC wrote:Major FA moves seem to mostly be a thing unto themselves as far as reasoning. The circumstances are basically unique to each situation.

What seems to be more important than the short-term record is the longer-term "institutional" track record of a team. This longer-term record is is what's going to work against the Bulls. They aren't liked, respected, or trusted.

That's a problem, but simply "not playing" and not trying to improve these aspects would make matters worse. The only solution is to develop this trust and respect. In this respect, the Bulls organizational rebuild is quite a bit more important than the player rebuild.

Also, this is why every day Boylen remains the coach is a day spent digging this hole deeper instead of a day spent digging out of it.

I agree with your points, except that I would say liked, respected, and trusted almost universally just = winning. People feel that way about teams that are winning and don't feel that way about teams that aren't. There are some other factors if you are egregiously bad in some way, but winning is 80% of that equation regardless.

Will be interesting to see if the Bulls new FO helps resolve that perception or not. I think getting rid of Forman was important in this respect. I think Paxson was generally liked and respected and Forman was not.
@doug_thonus on twitter
jgonboricua
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#56 » by jgonboricua » Mon Aug 3, 2020 11:14 pm

Depends on who we are able to draft...What if the Bulls Draft Okungwu or Wiseman? Also if Carter can play the 4 which he has said he wants to.

Thad Young, Satoranksi, and Porter Jr can be had for 2nd rd picks
Rose2Boozer
Starter
And1: 646

Post#57 » by Rose2Boozer » Tue Aug 4, 2020 3:37 am

I'd say Lauri Markkanen. He has too many holes in his game, and blaming them on Boylen is the ultimate cop out. Trading Markkanen is the first step in building a frontcourt for today's game.
ROLES & HOLES
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 738

Post#58 » by Hold That » Tue Aug 4, 2020 12:26 pm

Lauri and WCJ
hardboiledben
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#59 » by hardboiledben » Tue Aug 4, 2020 12:31 pm

Unless we're counting OPJ, then it's Lauri surely. Even if Wendell fails to ever develop the star qualities we hope he does, he has the basic fundamentals to be a decent/good center. I can't see LM being anything over than a hinderance on the court and on the books unless he truly develops into the player we thought he would 2 years ago. Maybe I'm being harsh on him, but I'd hope we explore trades for him before giving him a bumper contract.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,215

Post#60 » by Red8911 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 4:47 am

Rose2Boozer wrote:I'd say Lauri Markkanen. He has too many holes in his game, and blaming them on Boylen is the ultimate cop out. Trading Markkanen is the first step in building a frontcourt for today's game.
A good Lauri though is actually the perfect front court player to have in “today’s game”. I think they give him one more chance even though I agree that he has only himself to blame for his horrible season. Maybe AK wants to try things differently now with him who knows.

Return to Chicago Bulls