Image ImageImage Image

New Head Coach Mega Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Tommy Udo 6 , dougthonus, GimmeDat, DASMACKDOWN, Payt10, kulaz3000, fleet, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, Ice Man

User avatar
Truebiscuit
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,498
And1: 979
Joined: Nov 01, 2017
     

Re: New Head Coach Mega Thread 

Post#681 » by Truebiscuit » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:01 pm

I could see Unseld as the head coach and Fleming staying on as assistant
Working on becoming Titletown:
Bears - 9
Bulls - 6
Blackhawks - 6
Cubs - 3
White Sox - nobody cares :D
Chi town
RealGM
Posts: 17,813
And1: 3,864
Joined: Aug 10, 2004

Re: New Head Coach Mega Thread 

Post#682 » by Chi town » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:02 pm

Truebiscuit wrote:I could see Unseld as the head coach and Fleming staying on as assistant


At this point that is what I expect.
User avatar
sonny
RealGM
Posts: 17,951
And1: 252
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Location: Chicago

Re: New Head Coach Mega Thread 

Post#683 » by sonny » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:08 pm

ShadyMoney wrote:Doc Rivers if he becomes available.


Bring him home.

What has he done to make you want him?
JimmyButler21
Rookie
Posts: 1,095
And1: 790
Joined: Nov 21, 2015
       

Re: New Head Coach Mega Thread 

Post#684 » by JimmyButler21 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:59 pm

ShadyMoney wrote:Doc Rivers if he becomes available.


Bring him home.

God no
bennjuiced34
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,546
And1: 1,995
Joined: Jun 21, 2009

Re: New Head Coach Mega Thread 

Post#685 » by bennjuiced34 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:29 pm

At least that Unseld hype isn't without merit. He has an impressive resume with oodles of experience with multiple orgs. Seems to have a good disposition on cam, by all accounts is HUGELY respected by everyone he's worked with, especially Denver.

I'm down with Unseld if he's the guy. Then again I really don't think AK could go wrong with any of these guys, except Donovan and Atkinson. I'd prefer to stay away. Take a swing on a young guy with upside.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
Posts: 12,958
And1: 6,286
Joined: Jun 26, 2014
     

Re: New Head Coach Mega Thread 

Post#686 » by WindyCityBorn » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:54 pm

Bring Doc home if the Clippers fire him.
User avatar
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
Posts: 11,483
And1: 3,728
Joined: Jun 18, 2008
Location: Fountain Valley- A nice place to live
       

Re: New Head Coach Mega Thread 

Post#687 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:57 pm

Doc Rivers.........FACEPALM
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
ArmTriangle
Ballboy
Posts: 11
And1: 7
Joined: Apr 09, 2020
       

Re: New Head Coach Mega Thread 

Post#688 » by ArmTriangle » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:28 pm

Winning Percentage in Series Clinching Games
COACH W-L PCT.
Doc Rivers 14-27 .341
Lenny Wilkens 17-20 .459
John MacLeod 10-11 .476
Red Holzman 12-13 .480
Postseason history (minimum 20 games)

Coaches that have lost a series with a 3-1 lead:
Once: Several
Twice: None
Three times: Doc Rivers
Jeffster81
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,916
And1: 1,025
Joined: May 24, 2007
Location: Bazinga
       

Re: New Head Coach Mega Thread 

Post#689 » by Jeffster81 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:31 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:Bring Doc home if the Clippers fire him.


Doc can return home all he wants, I simply do not want him coaching the Bulls.
Goodbye....Someday.
kodo
RealGM
Posts: 14,047
And1: 8,833
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Location: Wrigleyville

Re: New Head Coach Mega Thread 

Post#690 » by kodo » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:40 pm

Coby doesn't think the new HC has been chosen yet.
“We haven’t talked about the new coach because it’s so spread out right now. They haven’t really narrowed it down to the people that — I think, don’t they narrow it down Friday
User avatar
Eddy_JukeZ
RealGM
Posts: 16,095
And1: 12,463
Joined: Oct 05, 2013
         

Re: New Head Coach Mega Thread 

Post#691 » by Eddy_JukeZ » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:47 pm

People better be trolling with Doc.

He's blown a 3-1 series lead THREE TIMES.

Stay far away from him.
User avatar
MrFortune3
Head Coach
Posts: 6,658
And1: 2,163
Joined: Jul 03, 2010
         

Re: New Head Coach Mega Thread 

Post#692 » by MrFortune3 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:01 am

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:People better be trolling with Doc.

He's blown a 3-1 series lead THREE TIMES.

Stay far away from him.


People are suggesting Joerger, D'Antoni and SVG...you have a problem with Doc Rivers out of all of those?
User avatar
Eddy_JukeZ
RealGM
Posts: 16,095
And1: 12,463
Joined: Oct 05, 2013
         

Re: New Head Coach Mega Thread 

Post#693 » by Eddy_JukeZ » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:43 am

MrFortune3 wrote:
Eddy_JukeZ wrote:People better be trolling with Doc.

He's blown a 3-1 series lead THREE TIMES.

Stay far away from him.


People are suggesting Joerger, D'Antoni and SVG...you have a problem with Doc Rivers out of all of those?


Doc Rivers is worse than all of those.
User avatar
MrFortune3
Head Coach
Posts: 6,658
And1: 2,163
Joined: Jul 03, 2010
         

Re: New Head Coach Mega Thread 

Post#694 » by MrFortune3 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:06 pm

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:
Eddy_JukeZ wrote:People better be trolling with Doc.

He's blown a 3-1 series lead THREE TIMES.

Stay far away from him.


People are suggesting Joerger, D'Antoni and SVG...you have a problem with Doc Rivers out of all of those?


Doc Rivers is worse than all of those.


He's not worse than any of those guys. To even suggest it is a near criminal offense.

I'm certainly not Doc's biggest fan. But he at least won a title. The other guys either have massive issues with clashing with the FO, can't get teams over the hump or have teams quickly turn against them.
User avatar
Jcool0
General Manager
Posts: 8,884
And1: 5,305
Joined: Jul 12, 2014
Location: Illinois
         

Re: New Head Coach Mega Thread 

Post#695 » by Jcool0 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:14 pm

Its not as if people in Denver are going to say anything negative about Wes Unseld Jr. but to me he still seems kind of a meh candidate overall. Though who really knows with these assistants.
User avatar
MrFortune3
Head Coach
Posts: 6,658
And1: 2,163
Joined: Jul 03, 2010
         

Re: New Head Coach Mega Thread 

Post#696 » by MrFortune3 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:43 pm

Jcool0 wrote:Its not as if people in Denver are going to say anything negative about Wes Unseld Jr. but to me he still seems kind of a meh candidate overall. Though who really knows with these assistants.


The most important thing about the coaching hire is fitting in with the desired culture more than being a wow hire.
Any of the coaches being considered can teach X's and O's. They know the game of basketball.
Can you develop a philosophy that full aligns with the vision of your FO?
Can you get your team to buy in and give themselves over to that desired culture?

That's why the Warriors, Heat, Celtics, Raptors, Nuggets and etc teams do well and sometimes punch above their weight class.
User avatar
TheStig
RealGM
Posts: 12,809
And1: 3,099
Joined: Jun 18, 2004
Location: Get rid of GarPaxDorf

Re: New Head Coach Mega Thread 

Post#697 » by TheStig » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:59 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:Bring Doc home if the Clippers fire him.

Doc is not coming here to coach a rebuilding team. He asked out of the Celtics when they were rebuilding. If he's fired, he's going to a contender.
jStuNNa
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,942
And1: 310
Joined: Nov 29, 2003
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: New Head Coach Mega Thread 

Post#698 » by jStuNNa » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:08 pm

In honestly can't decide between Dan Craig and Wes Unseld Jr. Listening to them in interviews, they both seem like great candidates. Craig is very passionate while Unseld Jr. is very calm and insightful. They both are extremely knowledgeable and seem like coaches players would get along with well.

Watch it be neither of these guys :lol:
User avatar
MrFortune3
Head Coach
Posts: 6,658
And1: 2,163
Joined: Jul 03, 2010
         

Re: New Head Coach Mega Thread 

Post#699 » by MrFortune3 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:28 pm

jStuNNa wrote:In honestly can't decide between Dan Craig and Wes Unseld Jr. Listening to them in interviews, they both seem like great candidates. Craig is very passionate while Unseld Jr. is very calm and insightful. They both are extremely knowledgeable and seem like coaches players would get along with well.

Watch it be neither of these guys :lol:


Given the way the hiring has played out. I wouldn't be surprised for it to end up being Craig.
AK was viewed as the 3rd or 4th choice in the pecking order behind Webster, Simon and etc depending upon which reports you read.

Evs was considered to be behind Hughes and a few others depending upon the reports you read.

So far, no one that was the initial front runner has been the hire. But the connections to AK and the performance of the Nuggets just makes too much sense for it to not be Unseld Jr.
User avatar
Jcool0
General Manager
Posts: 8,884
And1: 5,305
Joined: Jul 12, 2014
Location: Illinois
         

Re: New Head Coach Mega Thread 

Post#700 » by Jcool0 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:44 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:
jStuNNa wrote:In honestly can't decide between Dan Craig and Wes Unseld Jr. Listening to them in interviews, they both seem like great candidates. Craig is very passionate while Unseld Jr. is very calm and insightful. They both are extremely knowledgeable and seem like coaches players would get along with well.

Watch it be neither of these guys :lol:


Given the way the hiring has played out. I wouldn't be surprised for it to end up being Craig.
AK was viewed as the 3rd or 4th choice in the pecking order behind Webster, Simon and etc depending upon which reports you read.

Evs was considered to be behind Hughes and a few others depending upon the reports you read.

So far, no one that was the initial front runner has been the hire. But the connections to AK and the performance of the Nuggets just makes too much sense for it to not be Unseld Jr.


Pretty sure there were no favorites for any of those jobs (outside of fans rooting for one over another). Pretty much everyone had AK as a home run hire not someone they took after being turn down multiple times.

Return to Chicago Bulls