Image ImageImage Image

2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick 4th: PT 2

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Who do you want?

Ball
16%
Wiseman
18%
Deni
25%
Hayes
19%
Obi
2%
Vassell
9%
Okoro
2%
Haliburton
4%
Onyeka
2%
Other
2%

Total votes: 164

Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,297

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick 4th: PT 2 

Post#1041 » by Leslie Forman » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:09 pm

CoreyVillains wrote:Just uploaded my newest breakdown on one of my favorite second round sleepers, Utah State's Sam Merrill. Now I'm not saying by any means that Merrill is going to be anywhere near Luka, but stylistically watching Merrill play in college was like watching Luka. Think he’d be a great get with our second pick given his skillset and our roster.

A 24-year-old, slow, short armed white guy who went overseas in his key development years to sell some magic underpants?

Yeah no thanks.
gardenofsound
Starter
And1: 1,755

Post#1042 » by gardenofsound » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:26 pm

23-7 wrote:
gardenofsound wrote:
23-7 wrote:

He's also 45 years old

Eh, if AKMEBD like him, an older rookie isn't necessarily a huge red flag. Taj was even older and ended up being more than worth it from his slot in the low '20's. If anything, you're getting a more physically developed player and may get them in their prime while on a rookie deal.

Nope: http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=sam-merrill--taj-gibson

You got me. Though I don't know if Tankathon is comparing apples to apples given the draft is in November this year. Don't really have time to look it up.
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Post#1043 » by StunnerKO » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:09 pm

JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,585

Post#1044 » by JohnnyTapwater » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:03 pm

StunnerKO wrote:Image

STAR
mtron32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,997

Post#1045 » by mtron32 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:52 am

Repeat 3-peat wrote:
CjayC wrote:
Repeat 3-peat wrote:
Read on Twitter

He's talking like he's already on the team.

:lol: right? he really knows about the Bulls roster.

Either way, I think there is a good chance he's a Bull. He fits a need and with Billy as coach, a 3 guard lineup to close games is possible.

I like that, he knows the squad and is seeing himself in red. His highlight reel was nice, he's got good size and he's only 18. Either Hayes or Ball at this point.
Just_Bullz
Veteran
And1: 629

Post#1046 » by Just_Bullz » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:38 am

Drafting Hayes will only limit the growth of Coby in my opinion. Like it or not, Coby will be the PG of the team.

A wing is likely the one we need.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,720

Post#1047 » by Jeffster81 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:05 am

Just_Bullz wrote:Drafting Hayes will only limit the growth of Coby in my opinion. Like it or not, Coby will be the PG of the team.

BPA and worry about fit later. The only person that stunts Coby White's growth as a player is Coby White. If the Bulls think Hayes is the best player at 4, then you take Hayes.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,400

Post#1048 » by Repeat 3-peat » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:17 am

Outside of a small sample size Coby has not shown to be a starting point guard. If he proves worthy of playing time and so does Hayes(if drafted) they could play together including LaVine in a guard heavy lineup, similar to OKC whom closed games with 3 point guards.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#1049 » by drosereturn » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:44 am

Jeffster81 wrote:
Just_Bullz wrote:Drafting Hayes will only limit the growth of Coby in my opinion. Like it or not, Coby will be the PG of the team.

BPA and worry about fit later. The only person that stunts Coby White's growth as a player is Coby White. If the Bulls think Hayes is the best player at 4, then you take Hayes.

Yeah you say that so easily but that creates a log jam with 3 starters smaller than 6'5. If Hayes really is that good, White should be traded not to mention the millions of back up guards the Bulls have. OKC 3 guard lineup is terrible bc none of them are good defenders. They will give up 100 plus points every game. This isnt comparable to a situation where you not drafting MJ bc of Drexler.

Drafting Hayes is a lose lose situation. Either he busts or your admitting White was a failure and wasted a number 7 pick to not be worthy of a starter. White has potential as 6th man but who the hell uses a high lottery pick for that?
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#1050 » by ZOMG » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:53 am

Oh yeah? :lol:

Coby White couldn't even play the PG in college. What the hell makes anyone think he's suddenly a starting 1 in the league.

His future role is OBVIOUSLY a microwave shooter off the bench. Nothing wrong with that, it's a valuable thing to be in today's NBA.
Portiseyes
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#1051 » by Portiseyes » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:24 am

drosereturn wrote:
Jeffster81 wrote:

Yeah you say that so easily but that creates a log jam with 3 starters smaller than 6'5. If Hayes really is that good, White should be traded not to mention the millions of back up guards the Bulls have. OKC 3 guard lineup is terrible bc none of them are good defenders. They will give up 100 plus points every game. This isnt comparable to a situation where you not drafting MJ bc of Drexler.

Drafting Hayes is a lose lose situation. Either he busts or your admitting White was a failure and wasted a number 7 pick to not be worthy of a starter. White has potential as 6th man but who the hell uses a high lottery pick for that?

White - 6’4
Hayes - 6’5
LaVine - 6’6

OKC’s 3 guard lineup was their best.
We need a real PG real bad.
Next year is the ++ wing draft.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,568

Post#1052 » by Dez » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:45 am

drosereturn wrote:
Jeffster81 wrote:

This is just completely false and equally illogical, again nothing in this post is true.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,138

Post#1053 » by CjayC » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:07 am

drosereturn wrote:
Jeffster81 wrote:

AK didn't pick him Coby tho. We want him/them to maximize the potential of this group, but at the same time if AK has a vision he shouldn't feel boxed in by moves the last regime made.

And do we really have guards? Dunn is probably gone, you can do way better than Arci. You still need someone that can give you almost 30 minutes a game off the bench, between one of Hayes or White.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#1054 » by MrFortune3 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:29 am

Nah, even if it's a 3 guard line up it won't hurt Coby. He'll feast off of LaVine and Hayes setting him up for open looks. It would just mean he gets the green light to take a bunch of shots without needing to be the facilitator for the offense.

My issue with the 3 guard lineup is I don't believe the Bulls have the bigs to properly account for that type of set up. Lauri isn't good enough on D to stay on the floor in that scenario so you're potentially talking WCJ and 4 guards which I don't like from a size and rebounding perspective.

Other teams can do it but they're set up to do it.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#1055 » by MrFortune3 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:30 am

StunnerKO wrote:Image

Maybe I should change my opinion from wanting to grab another 1st for McDaniels and instead pivot to Hampton. The kid has good taste. :lol:
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,794

Post#1056 » by CoreyVillains » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:41 am

23-7 wrote:
CoreyVillains wrote:Just uploaded my newest breakdown on one of my favorite second round sleepers, Utah State's Sam Merrill. Now I'm not saying by any means that Merrill is going to be anywhere near Luka, but stylistically watching Merrill play in college was like watching Luka. Think he’d be a great get with our second pick given his skillset and our roster.

He's also 45 years old

So was Monte Morris.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Post#1057 » by PlayerUp » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:52 am

CoreyVillains wrote:
23-7 wrote:

He's also 45 years old

So was Monte Morris.

Sam Merrill will go undrafted. You want him? Offer him a 2 way contract or non guaranteed 3 year deal like Houston offers undrafted players.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#1058 » by drosereturn » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:20 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:

Nah, even if it's a 3 guard line up it won't hurt Coby. He'll feast off of LaVine and Hayes setting him up for open looks. It would just mean he gets the green light to take a bunch of shots without needing to be the facilitator for the offense.

My issue with the 3 guard lineup is I don't believe the Bulls have the bigs to properly account for that type of set up. Lauri isn't good enough on D to stay on the floor in that scenario so you're potentially talking WCJ and 4 guards which I don't like from a size and rebounding perspective.

The 3 guard lineup problem arises from their atrocious defense, not from Lauri. Aside from Hayes pg, that defense on the 2,3 position will be one of the worst being undersized. And they dont even have that much improve play making just instant offense. This is worse version of Sexton, Garland Cavs with no star Drummond im looking at number 1 pick with 20wins.

I predict White will be relegated to a 20min bench role after Billy failing the 3 guard lineup with a 1-9 record and crying over losing his spot to a rookie. Tbh, Donovan isnt that dumb realizing in practice this is one of the worst lineup he has ever coached and beg him to win 6moy only to give Lauri treatment after getting out of control taking 25 shots in Blakeney mode.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,715

Post#1059 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:44 pm

If Edwards slips (growing murmurs about this), does the board want the Bulls to take him?
Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,126

Post#1060 » by Jvaughn » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:06 pm

drosereturn wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:

The 3 guard lineup problem arises from their atrocious defense, not from Lauri. Aside from Hayes pg, that defense on the 2,3 position will be one of the worst being undersized. And they dont even have that much improve play making just instant offense. This is worse version of Sexton, Garland Cavs with no star Drummond im looking at number 1 pick with 20wins.

I predict White will be relegated to a 20min bench role after Billy failing the 3 guard lineup with a 1-9 record and crying over losing his spot to a rookie. Tbh, Donovan isnt that dumb realizing in practice this is one of the worst lineup he has ever coached and beg him to win 6moy only to give Lauri treatment after getting out of control taking 25 shots in Blakeney mode.

If you're making the case that Coby will be outplayed by Hayes, and lose his starting spot, that's more reason to draft Hayes. I don't understand the logic of staying away from a player because he might be better than the current player on your roster. That's absurd.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.

Return to Chicago Bulls