Image ImageImage Image

Pax's Worst Draft Day Decision

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

What was Pax's Biggest Draft Day Blunder?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:54 am

Trading Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas
31%
Trading our 16th and 19th picks in for McDermott (Nuggets picked Nurkic and Gary Harris)
38%
Trading Butler for LaVine, Markkanen and Dunn
10%
Picking James Johnson over Jrue Holiday
5%
Trading Hinrich and the 17th pick to open up a 2nd max slot (which wasn't used) instead of drafting Bledsoe, Bradley or Whiteside
2%
Picking Marquis Teague over Draymond Green and Middleton
6%
Picking Snell over Gobert
3%
Picking Valentine over Siakam, Brogdan, Dejounte Murray and LaVert
No votes
Picking Markkanen over Donovan Mitchell, Bam Adebayo and John Collins
1%
Picking Wendell Carter over Shai-Gilageous Alexander and Michael Porter Jr.
5%

Total votes: 101

prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,264

Re: Pax's Worst Draft Day Decision 

Post#61 » by prolific passer » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:39 pm

Paxson got lucky with a deep draft in 04 as well as Noah, Rose, and Butler falling into his lap. But he made some pretty bad deal and draft picks outside of those which is why the franchise is a mess right now. The Aldridge one stands out the most.
wickywack
Junior
And1: 293

Post#62 » by wickywack » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:44 pm

prolific passer wrote:Paxson got lucky with a deep draft in 04 as well as Noah, Rose, and Butler falling into his lap. But he made some pretty bad deal and draft picks outside of those which is why the franchise is a mess right now. The Aldridge one stands out the most.

It's a bit unfair to call it "lucky" when he hit and "bad" when he didn't. He really did have an unusually good drafting stretch early on: Hinrich, Gordon, Deng, Noah, Rose, Gibson, Mirotic, Butler. Even guys like James Johnson and Thabo were pretty good players for which there was no playing time. Ideally, he would have made a consolidation trade (KG, Gasol, perhaps Kobe) - he was never able to pull that off. Still, if Rose hadn't gotten hurt, I think that group had a real shot at a championship.

But, yeah, it's been pretty bad overall since the Rose injury. Or perhaps unlucky. :-) There is still some chance his more recent picks bust out.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#63 » by dice » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:57 pm

prolific passer wrote:Paxson got lucky with a deep draft in 04 as well as Noah, Rose, and Butler falling into his lap. But he made some pretty bad deal and draft picks outside of those which is why the franchise is a mess right now. The Aldridge one stands out the most.

noah and butler didn't fall into his lap. in fact, this board preferred spencer hawes over noah. and jimmy was projected in the 2nd round by most. there was even a contingent that preferred beasley to rose. it would have been interesting to see which prospect jerry krause would have taken if he was still around. his general philosophy was that it was preferable to avoid hometown talent because of distractions...and then he went and screwed the pooch by taking hometown kid eddy curry, who coincidentally preceded derrick being traded to the knicks. which brings up another point: not only did paxson not luck into joakim, but he got that pick by fleecing isiah in the curry trade
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
prolific passer
Analyst

Post#64 » by prolific passer » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:50 am

dice wrote:

noah and butler didn't fall into his lap. in fact, this board preferred spencer hawes over noah. and jimmy was projected in the 2nd round by most. there was even a contingent that preferred beasley to rose. it would have been interesting to see which prospect jerry krause would have taken if he was still around. his general philosophy was that it was preferable to avoid hometown talent because of distractions...and then he went and screwed the pooch by taking hometown kid eddy curry, who coincidentally preceded derrick being traded to the knicks. which brings up another point: not only did paxson not luck into joakim, but he got that pick by fleecing isiah in the curry trade

Krause's draft record is as we all know pretty abysmal and like I said. GarPax were pretty lucky with the good players they got. The player development was also at an all time high which helped as well. The real issue under Pax was probably not being able to find the right coach to put it all together on the court.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,871

Post#65 » by Wingy » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:20 am

Hangtime84 wrote:Douggy McBuckets is the draft that ruined this all.

:nod: :banghead: :crazy:

Dude screamed ordinary. Ridiculously hyped draft, at the top AND for its depth...and GarPax pushes all the chips in for meh.

As others have noted - first domino that lead to yet another bad decision to trade Jimmy. How Pax is still around is such a joke.
tgmxd
Junior
And1: 200

Post#66 » by tgmxd » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:34 am

Not clearing space for a 3rd max contract for Wade, Bosh, and LeBron
TheHrvReport
Bench Warmer
And1: 798

Post#67 » by TheHrvReport » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:41 am

The dougie trade for sure. The other picks look bad in hindsight but weren't heavily critiqued at the time. The Tyrus over Aldridge thing was bad but can't knock Pax for going all in with the high upside pick. Tyrus Thomas had all the physical tools to be a superstar but he ended up being dumb as rocks.
prolific passer
Analyst

Post#68 » by prolific passer » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:52 am

TheHrvReport wrote:The dougie trade for sure. The other picks look bad in hindsight but weren't heavily critiqued at the time. The Tyrus over Aldridge thing was bad but can't knock Pax for going all in with the high upside pick. Tyrus Thomas had all the physical tools to be a superstar but he ended up being dumb as rocks.

He was called a bigger version of Shawn Marion and was basically drafted on his athleticism.
terry
Senior
And1: 268

Post#69 » by terry » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:54 am

This poll lost me after the Butler choice.

Alot of front offices missed on those other players picked. It's why they went late in the first rounds and second rounds. Every front office makes mistakes in the draft.

I feel like every choice after the first 3 is just trying to pile on to Gar and Pax. They're not fair to call them "worst decisions".
Sinistar6
Starter
And1: 125

Post#70 » by Sinistar6 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:24 am

I was with GarPax on some of these absolute blunders..

the trades:

Tyrus over Aldridge-Tyrus was coming of a march madness that showcased his supreme athleticism. Then there was a reported dinner that LA was a little timid. I wanted Tyrus I really thought he was going to be special.

Doug Mcder- reportedly coming of a dominating team USA scrims against NBA players. Historic college scorer and best 3 in the draft (seemingly). I remember TJ Warrens AAU coach saying he was the best scorer in the draft and me thinking OK Buddy...

Butler- Butler was a 30th pick that was going to get major cash. Is he the greatest 30 or later pick ever? Arenas/green/Sabonis would be my contenders off the top. Who would have thought he would be this much of an alpha? He is so good (although his stock is real high now, how was he looked at after Philly playoff loss?)The haul was significant at the time, Dunn, 5th pick looking like Dwayne W Dunn in college, thibbs doesn’t play or line rookies narrative. Zack just supremely talented. My favorite player even before the bulls grabbed him.

Thank god I am not a RealGM.
Next time the cult's spaceship lands we'll all be wearing black Starburys.

-mcwelk
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#71 » by MrSparkle » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:04 pm

On the other hand, couple year-to-year consolidations (these guys weren't all on the team at the same time), how OK is this roster in 2020? Of course no chip, but ... IMO they'd fare better. Give me a better starting backcourt and hello ECFs. :lol: 3Ps and hybrid wing-forwards.

Duhon Pargo
Kirk Gordon
Deng Piatkowski Thabo
Khryapa Noc
Chandler Noah

I still think Khryapa is the one that got away; he'd excel in today's NBA. He had some serious passing chops, but you couldn't play him at PF in 08- it was still an era where Garnett, Dirk, Duncan, Pau, Boozer, Bosh were your 4s. Even Stoudemire, though he started at C.

VK went on to have a strong career in Europe. I think Tyrus was the big miscalculation, but I liked Khryapa. IMO he'd be playing big minutes in today's NBA. I think he could've hung in the NBA but clearly the Bulls decided to stop trying to make foreigners feel comfortable.

So I give Pax some credit for creating a somewhat 2020 roster From 04-07. Wallace and PJ were big steps in the wrong direction back then and today (PJ was 2 steps forward, 3 steps back). I liked PJ but there were too many PF prospects, and dumping Chandler ended up being painfully wrong. He would've been great to have with that Rose, Gordon, Salmons squad, as Noah was still pre-prime and skinny.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#72 » by drosereturn » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:31 pm

Wingy wrote:
Hangtime84 wrote:Douggy McBuckets is the draft that ruined this all.

:nod: :banghead: :crazy:

Dude screamed ordinary. Ridiculously hyped draft, at the top AND for its depth...and GarPax pushes all the chips in for meh.

As others have noted - first domino that lead to yet another bad decision to trade Jimmy. How Pax is still around is such a joke.

lol I remember a lot of Dougie supporters saying the trade was good for the Bulls and he was the next big thing with his ridiculous college stats while he was athletic enough working out for the usa select team. someone would think he was a better version of prime reddick but in reality he was just a coachs son and got lucky his whole youth. this is why you dont go for flashy players but with high upside skilled ones and this reminds me of dumb Philly thinking they were Fultz away from a superteam dynasty. Harris/Nurkic didnt have the high floor Doug had but their potential was near stars and look at them now.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,188

Post#73 » by kodo » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:57 pm

Tyrus was the same as Markelle Fultz. Yes they were busts, but they were also consensus top 3 guys given the options, because the other two top guys were Adam Morrison and Bargnani who had major red flags. There was also Shelden Williams.

Sometimes you just have drafts that are weak at the top, and the Bulls seem attracted to them. Marcus Fizer, Tyson/Curry, Tyrus. Wouldn't be surprised if 2020 is a replay.
InsideInfo
Bench Warmer
And1: 769

Post#74 » by InsideInfo » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:52 pm

The Tyrus thing didnt work out but i put Tyrus's failures on himself.

If he had just crashed the boards and played D he would have been a good player.

He messed up when he decided that he needed to be a jump shooter. You can look back and see that Noah went thru the same phase of wanting defense to respect that he could hit a jumper. But you dont go from never shooting jumpers to shooting 6-8 a game. It was to much and it took him away from what got him to the NBA, his athleticism and defense.
Poohdini1
Sixth Man
And1: 1,243

Post#75 » by Poohdini1 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:35 pm

The Doug trade simply because of the place we were in when it happened. The Bobcats pick should've been traded long before then and that Bulls team to the Cavs to the brink later that season. You make the trade, fine, but it should've been to pick Zach, not Doug.
DaMayor07
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#76 » by DaMayor07 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:44 pm

Trading Kirk away was super diry/back stabbing to a guy that was part of the come up for the franchise. Then we struck out that summer attempting to land a free agent

Return to Chicago Bulls