Image ImageImage Image

OT Bears 2019/20 season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Re: OT Bears 2019/20 season 

Post#101 » by Susan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:25 am

Dresden wrote:
Susan wrote:
fleet wrote:The Packers put up 42 on the Lions today. The Bears leave points on the field and that’s the bottom line between good and not good enough.

It's September.

It's also year 3 of the Trubisky/Nagy offense, and they look worse than ever.

lol, by what metric?

Mitch looks good, they had a bunch of long drives today. They're running the ball better than they have ever under Nagy.

No pre-season, no OTAs and they're 2-0 with no major injuries.
Susan
RealGM

Post#102 » by Susan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:34 am

weneeda2guard wrote:2-0 is 2-0 but we can see whats coming. Tribs is food once this schedule gets a bit tougher. 7-9 season is about right.

lol, they've got two games against Minny (TRASH), another game against the Lions, a game against the Panthers, a game against Jacksonville and Atlanta who just blew a 20 point lead and can't run the ball. They're not going to go 0-9 against the rest of their schedule.
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#103 » by 2018C3 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:40 am

With this fast start, I can see 9+ wins as a very realistic possibility, and a potential playoff appearance. That's just about all you can ask in the NFL season per season.

Mitch is currently rated middle of the pack, that's a jump up from last year.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,203

Post#104 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:57 am

Mitch looked much better this week. Really made good throws in the first half, should have had 3 touchdowns. I thought the 2nd INT was on Robinson, that’s an 80/20 back the receiver should come down with. The first INT was a risky throw, but credit to the defender for that break to the ball.

People keep waiting for Miller to break out, but man he is so inconsistent. You can’t drop a perfectly thrown ball in the end zone and drop a 3rd down ball too. The rookie should take his spot soon as 2nd receiver.

Pass rush was better. I know they gave up some yards, but this secondary is looking like it’ll be top 5 to me. Jackson is back to his ballhawking ways. I wish they blitzed more because they have this secondary, but Pagano is conservative.

At the end of the day, the record is the only thing that matters. And with all the injuries today, who knows what half the league will look like by week 8.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
HearshotKDS
Sixth Man
And1: 846

Post#105 » by HearshotKDS » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:01 am

There is still time to iron out a lot of the inconsistencies, but if the team doesn't improve from today weeks 5-12 are going to be brutal.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#106 » by dice » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:36 am

Dresden wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:Easy quick take - The Bears were on the right side of two close games (one they should have lost, one they almost gave away) to beat two bottom 10 NFL teams to go 2-0. They still *could* be good, but these two games are far from convincing that they are, in fact, good.

Yes, definitely better to be 2-0 than 0-2, but the Packers beat the Lions by 20 today, and will likely beat us that way, too. With Trubisky, it seems like it's always the same story: "He did some good things today, there were a few bright spots, he might be close to putting it all together, he looked really good on that one drive". But never a full game of even average NFL quarterbacking.

If he looks this bad again next week and they lose, they need to go with Foles.

real longshot that foles is starting week 4 no matter how bad trubisky is next week

bears are playing like a sub-.500 team so far, but 2-0 is 2-0

damn the falcons for not finishing off the perennially overrated cowboys and putting them in a delightful 0-2 hole
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,951

Post#107 » by Chi town » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:29 am

Mitch had some tough breaks today but he still took bad sacks and left lots of plays on the field. Foles ends this game in the 2nd quarter.

Nagy obviously didn’t trust Mitch while running the ball to run out the clock instead of playing to win and score.

I actually like our team a lot. I think our weapons on offense are legit and the oline is solid and we can run.

You put Foles in and we are a dangerous team no one wants to plays in the playoffs. I predict we lose the next two, Mitch Mitches, and then Foles takes the helm and we go on a run.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#108 » by johnnyvann840 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:47 am

Chi town wrote:Mitch had some tough breaks today but he still took bad sacks and left lots of plays on the field. Foles ends this game in the 2nd quarter.

Nagy obviously didn’t trust Mitch while running the ball to run out the clock instead of playing to win and score.

I actually like our team a lot. I think our weapons on offense are legit and the oline is solid and we can run.

You put Foles in and we are a dangerous team no one wants to plays in the playoffs. I predict we lose the next two, Mitch Mitches, and then Foles takes the helm and we go on a run.

Mitch threw a 3rd TD pass in the 2nd Q that was dropped but would have made it a 21-0 game at the time I think. Instead we settled for the FG and what a difference. Also, the Bears had that TD called back for a chop block that was a questionable call. Those are game changing plays that went the other way on us today. 2-0 is 2-0.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,852

Post#109 » by nomorezorro » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:13 am

looks like i'm destined to go increasingly insane about us not signing cam newton this season
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,289

Post#110 » by Kurt Heimlich » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:43 am

nomorezorro wrote:looks like i'm destined to go increasingly insane about us not signing cam newton this season

Mitch has always been Pace's QB1. Cam was never going to play the role of QB2 for the Bears. This is the final "episode" for the Pace/Mitch Bromance. If it works out with a playoff win (+) then good for them and us as fans. If not(predictably by several of us) then it doesn't work out, and they both need to get gone.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#111 » by dice » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:45 am

Kurt Heimlich wrote:
nomorezorro wrote:looks like i'm destined to go increasingly insane about us not signing cam newton this season

Mitch has always been Pace's QB1. Cam was never going to play the role of QB2 for the Bears. This is the final "episode" for the Pace/Mitch Bromance. If it works out with a playoff win (+) then good for them and us as fans. If not(predictably by several of us) then it doesn't work out, and they both need to get gone.

you think that ryan pace is dictating mitch starting?
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,289

Post#112 » by Kurt Heimlich » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:47 am

dice wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:

you think that it's ryan pace that is dictating mitch starting?

I think Pace's voice/influence in the decision was consequential.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,204

Post#113 » by fleet » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:53 am

Chi town wrote:Mitch had some tough breaks today but he still took bad sacks and left lots of plays on the field. Foles ends this game in the 2nd quarter.

Nagy often goes into the tank with a lead. That pattern of the scoring drying up with the lead is a function of something, be it the QB, his own conservatism, he freezes up, IDK. Something.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
wickywack
Junior
And1: 293

Post#114 » by wickywack » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:14 pm

fleet wrote:

Nagy often goes into the tank with a lead. That pattern of the scoring drying up with the lead is a function of something, be it the QB, his own conservatism, he freezes up, IDK. Something.

Some of this seems to be Mitch. He looks more comfortable when he's down by a few points and asked to be aggressive. Not so much when he's up and asked to be deliberate/run out the clock.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#115 » by ATRAIN53 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:52 pm

so Mitch is playing decently which means he's gonna get hurt, right?

and then Foles is going to come in and suck, right?

Is it wrong to think Deshawn Watson may have spent more time this off season promoting his book than improving his game?
He's 0-2 and Trubisky is 2-0

It's only 2 weeks but still.

and Cam not being able to make a 2 yard scramble for the win was pretty shocking last night
Susan
RealGM

Post#116 » by Susan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:48 pm

Read on Twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,622

Post#117 » by dougthonus » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:13 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:Also, the Bears had that TD called back for a chop block that was a questionable call. Those are game changing plays that went the other way on us today. 2-0 is 2-0.

The TD was called back on defensive pass interference and was definitely a fair call.

The chop block (which I agree was dicey) was on a 9 yard run, but cost them 15 in penalty yards. They did convert the 1st and 25 over a few plays, so ultimately it didn't kill the drive, and the FG attempt was wide the entire time and would have missed even if we were closer (though if we were closer perhaps he takes a different angle on it and perhaps any number of other things would have happened).

Either way, the chop block didn't cost the Bears.

That said, I'm not even sure the big plays went for the Bears today. Both interceptions Mitch had could easily have been receptions by Bears receivers. Those were two huge plays that went the Giants way on balls that were probably 80/20 balls for the receiver. That's a huge amount of luck that swung their way.

The Bears actually outplayed the Giants, IMO, by a much greater amount than the score would reveal.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#118 » by johnnyvann840 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:37 pm

dougthonus wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:Also, the Bears had that TD called back for a chop block that was a questionable call. Those are game changing plays that went the other way on us today. 2-0 is 2-0.

The TD was called back on defensive pass interference and was definitely a fair call.

The chop block (which I agree was dicey) was on a 9 yard run, but cost them 15 in penalty yards. They did convert the 1st and 25 over a few plays, so ultimately it didn't kill the drive, and the FG attempt was wide the entire time and would have missed even if we were closer (though if we were closer perhaps he takes a different angle on it and perhaps any number of other things would have happened).

Either way, the chop block didn't cost the Bears.

That said, I'm not even sure the big plays went for the Bears today. Both interceptions Mitch had could easily have been receptions by Bears receivers. Those were two huge plays that went the Giants way on balls that were probably 80/20 balls for the receiver. That's a huge amount of luck that swung their way.

The Bears actually outplayed the Giants, IMO, by a much greater amount than the score would reveal.

yeah, you're right. I mixed up those two plays. The PI on the TD was clearly a good call. I agree that the Bears outplayed them by a good margin and the score should not have been that close.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
otwok
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,327

Post#119 » by otwok » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:58 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:so Mitch is playing decently which means he's gonna get hurt, right?

and then Foles is going to come in and suck, right?

Is it wrong to think Deshawn Watson may have spent more time this off season promoting his book than improving his game?
He's 0-2 and Trubisky is 2-0

It's only 2 weeks but still.

and Cam not being able to make a 2 yard scramble for the win was pretty shocking last night

Watson played the two best teams in the AFC (possibly the NFL) and Trubisky played two of the worst teams in the NFC. Completely different situations.
otwok
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,327

Post#120 » by otwok » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:40 pm

I predicted a 7-9 to 9-7 season. That was including a 3-0 start. There is a point where this schedule gets really tough and I can see this team dropping 5 straight and 6 out of 7 with the stretch of Rams/Saints/Titans/Vikings/Packers/Texans. Without playing teams with major injuries, or something unforeseen I just do not see how this team can win 10 games.

Return to Chicago Bulls