Image ImageImage Image

OT Bears 2019/20 season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Re: OT Bears 2019/20 season 

Post#841 » by ATRAIN53 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:47 pm

dougthonus wrote:After a year and a half of looking awful, following a year of sitting out, why do you think he brings anything to the table? I'm game for giving him a chance, but it's been 2.5 years since he was a good back in the league. That's a long time in RB years. He's 28 now, and at the end of his prime years. Most RBs are fading between 28-30.

I like seeing this-

Read on Twitter

It's just a hunch. Maybe he just needs to find the right spot?
I'm a huge believer that guys just want to be wanted and if Nagy calls and says we NEED you, we WANT you - maybe he comes in motivated?

Maybe he grew up idolizing Payton and once he puts on the Navy Blue he feels reinvigorated?

We have a roster spot, it costs us hardly anything to get a look at the guy.
We need help back there. Can't image anyone else walking thru the doors at Halas Hall with better credentials.

Sounds like the Chiefs are gonna snipe him up anyways.
Insurance in case their spectacular rookie goes down.
I'd sign there too if I was him and they could squeeze me in over here.
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,130

Post#842 » by molepharmer » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:24 pm

IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:Easy to criticize any RB in this offense.

Do we need someone who has special skills to produce a running game? Yes. Unfortunately our oline can't block consistently and defenses still don't respect our pass offense. Bell has these special skills and we could probably use him but at the vet minimum.

I'm not a fan of putting big money into the running back position. I'd rather have a group of good RB's over a superstar rb and put that extra money into the line. That's why I like Montgomery, if he is given space he can get us the chunks we need. Unfortunately we don't have a good oline though. I think he would be a productive player behind a good oline. Could he be better? Sure. Could he have made better cuts or hit holes faster? Sure. He has to be better, no excuses. But thats my opinion and I could be wrong. Maybe we should just see what we have in Artavis Pierce for a drive or two.

Another problem we have is keeping the defense off balance. Many times they are running downhill right at the RB and a lot of that goes on our play calling and formations. I know I keep harping on this but it is an important strategy that I feel is being ignored through stretches of the game. Its almost like Nagy has this plan to run certain plays and he just goes with the plan regardless of the situation or the score. We might not have the most talented players but it is the coaches responsibility to put them in the best position for success and there is a lot of fail in this area. Everyone is to blame for the lack of production in this area.

Completely agree with this. All you need to do is look at the corpse of Mike Davis now in Carolina. Pretty sure most people thought he was worthless and that Montgomery was the better RB. ........Davis - 220 yds, 4.8 yd/carry; 30 receptions for 206 yds.

Between Nagy's offense and the porous O-line, RB's on the Bears have two massive hurdles they have to clear first before becoming effective. With Daniels now gone for the season, the poor O-line becomes even worse.
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,743

Post#843 » by dougthonus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:27 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:After a year and a half of looking awful, following a year of sitting out, why do you think he brings anything to the table? I'm game for giving him a chance, but it's been 2.5 years since he was a good back in the league. That's a long time in RB years. He's 28 now, and at the end of his prime years. Most RBs are fading between 28-30.

I like seeing this-

Read on Twitter

It's just a hunch. Maybe he just needs to find the right spot?
I'm a huge believer that guys just want to be wanted and if Nagy calls and says we NEED you, we WANT you - maybe he comes in motivated?

Maybe he grew up idolizing Payton and once he puts on the Navy Blue he feels reinvigorated?

We have a roster spot, it costs us hardly anything to get a look at the guy.
We need help back there. Can't image anyone else walking thru the doors at Halas Hall with better credentials.

Sounds like the Chiefs are gonna snipe him up anyways.
Insurance in case their spectacular rookie goes down.
I'd sign there too if I was him and they could squeeze me in over here.

I agree, take a look at the guy. Like the fact that he said something about needing to prove himself.

I'd love to sign him if we're able to.

I just don't have high expectations that he will come out and be amazing if we do. Absolutely a guy worth looking at for the cost and a gamble worth taking. Just recognize that its a gamble with a high likelihood of failing. That's okay, you try things that have a high likelihood of failing if the payoff is good and the cost is nothing.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,235

Post#844 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:44 pm

Looks like Bears aren't on the shortlist. Sucks, we'll never know if they didn't want to pay up, or if he wasn't interested.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,870

Post#845 » by Dresden » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:16 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:Looks like Bears aren't on the shortlist. Sucks, we'll never know if they didn't want to pay up, or if he wasn't interested.

Wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to go to a team with a better O line. Or he didn't want to be playing in Chicago in December.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#846 » by sco » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:19 pm

I think he wants to be in a situation where he has a good shot at the #1 job for a playoff contender.
:clap:
Dresden
RealGM

Post#847 » by Dresden » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:58 am

I've heard there is a bidding war between MIA and KC.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#848 » by Dresden » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:59 am

Fred Dean, the great pass rusher who won two Super Bowls with the 49'ers, died yesterday from Covid. He was 68.
Mbrahv0528
Veteran
And1: 1,315

Post#849 » by Mbrahv0528 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:02 am

Dresden wrote:I've heard there is a bidding war between MIA and KC.
He signed with KC already lol?

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#850 » by dougthonus » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:23 pm

Dresden wrote:I've heard there is a bidding war between MIA and KC.

He went to KC, I don't think there's any bidding war, someone would have to pay him more than 6M a year before he makes more in one place vs the other. If there's any bidding its simply about who has a better situation, not financial, which I'd imagine was pretty easily the Chiefs in terms of going somewhere.
@doug_thonus on twitter
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,388

Post#851 » by fleet » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:49 pm

If you are a name offensive skill position player, and money is not the factor, you go to the team that has the quarterback, the system, and the proven coaching to run the system. That simply does not describe the Bears.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#852 » by dougthonus » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:45 pm

fleet wrote:If you are a name offensive skill position player, and money is not the factor, you go to the team that has the quarterback, the system, and the proven coaching to run the system. That simply does not describe the Bears.

You have to factor in reps too.

Le'Veon's best case is to be the feature back somewhere, tear it up for 140 all purpose yards a game, and get a massive deal next season. I'm not sure how good the Chief's are at RB and whether Bell has a legit chance to take the lead running back role, if a good chance, it's an absolute no brainer. If not, then going somewhere that lead back role is up for grabs is more intriguing.

That said, Chicago is probably lacking too much in those first three things that even if he felt he could win their lead back role that his performance would be good enough to accomplish what he wanted.

I don't know if we pursued him at all, but if so we weren't on his short list, so it seems like we either didn't put our hat in the ring or he didn't like the situation.
@doug_thonus on twitter
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,061

Post#853 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:34 pm

Bell is just trying to grab a quick Superbowl ring this season.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#854 » by Susan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:30 pm

dougthonus wrote:
fleet wrote:If you are a name offensive skill position player, and money is not the factor, you go to the team that has the quarterback, the system, and the proven coaching to run the system. That simply does not describe the Bears.

You have to factor in reps too.

Le'Veon's best case is to be the feature back somewhere, tear it up for 140 all purpose yards a game, and get a massive deal next season. I'm not sure how good the Chief's are at RB and whether Bell has a legit chance to take the lead running back role, if a good chance, it's an absolute no brainer. If not, then going somewhere that lead back role is up for grabs is more intriguing.

That said, Chicago is probably lacking too much in those first three things that even if he felt he could win their lead back role that his performance would be good enough to accomplish what he wanted.

I don't know if we pursued him at all, but if so we weren't on his short list, so it seems like we either didn't put our hat in the ring or he didn't like the situation.

KC drafted a RB who's well versed in the passing game in the first round this offseason.

But he's been pretty ho hum thus far. An all systems go Bell is an upgrade for them and he's trying to win it all.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#855 » by CjayC » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:01 am

Wilson had a strong night. 400 yards passing, with 4 TDs, and some yards on the ground.

Might as well start looking into the next category of QBs I don't think Wilson will be available. They need to go hard looking at Trey Lance, Kyle Trask, Jaime Newman, and Mac Jones.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#856 » by transplant » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:24 pm

I've heard analysts describe Foles using two key words that I find to be contradictory. Initially, the word used was "competent." This was used to contrast him with Trubisky who is considered to be not competent. Being described as competent is generally a double-edged sword...steady, but not spectacular. What I'm hearing more now is that Foles is a "streaky" QB. In my experience, Foles is the first player I can recall who was described as competent and streaky.

Dave Wannstedt characterized the Bears as having a "top 25% offense and a bottom 25% offense." Probably true to this point. They need at least a competent QB to be successful, but streaky isn't something I want in my competent QB.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#857 » by patryk7754 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:17 pm

CjayC wrote:Wilson had a strong night. 400 yards passing, with 4 TDs, and some yards on the ground.

Might as well start looking into the next category of QBs I don't think Wilson will be available. They need to go hard looking at Trey Lance, Kyle Trask, Jaime Newman, and Mac Jones.

I watched one Trey lance game and a highlight tape for last season. He's just not a NFL QB to me. I think he'll turnout like Tebow.

I really like Trask. I think he's easily the third best QB in this draft behind Lawrence and Fields unless theres a QB out there that goes to a small school who hasn't gotten the attention yet ala josh allen. He has a really good arm, performs well against top competition, he has good mobility, and most importantly he's already showing NFL habits that you don't see very often from a college QB. He makes more progressions than your average College QB. Another thing that could possibly be to his benefit is that Florida's offense at times can be dumb and that could be holding him back somewhat.

I think the's are some good comparisons: His stature and mobility are similar to Carson Wentz and his arm talent is similar to Drew Lock.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#858 » by CjayC » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:24 pm

patryk7754 wrote:
CjayC wrote:Wilson had a strong night. 400 yards passing, with 4 TDs, and some yards on the ground.

I watched one Trey lance game and a highlight tape for last season. He's just not a NFL QB to me. I think he'll turnout like Tebow.

I really like Trask. I think he's easily the third best QB in this draft behind Lawrence and Fields unless theres a QB out there that goes to a small school who hasn't gotten the attention yet ala josh allen. He has a really good arm, performs well against top competition, he has good mobility, and most importantly he's already showing NFL habits that you don't see very often from a college QB. He makes more progressions than your average College QB. Another thing that could possibly be to his benefit is that Florida's offense at times can be dumb and that could be holding him back somewhat.

I think the's are some good comparisons: His stature and mobility are similar to Carson Wentz and his arm talent is similar to Drew Lock.

I wouldn't mad with Trask. He's good at eye manipulation, and his footwork is on point. The only thing that bothers me is that his coach Mullens makes QBs look good, and he didn't start game in Highschool. He'll have less experience than Trubisky in all likelihood by the time he gets to the NFL
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,388

Post#859 » by fleet » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:50 pm

Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#860 » by patryk7754 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:58 pm

CjayC wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:

I wouldn't mad with Trask. He's good at eye manipulation, and his footwork is on point. The only thing that bothers me is that his coach Mullens makes QBs look good, and he didn't start game in Highschool. He'll have less experience than Trubisky in all likelihood by the time he gets to the NFL

there's an obvious and significant difference of talent between Trubisky and Trask tho.

My first round choice would be his teammate Kyle Pitts. I know he's listed as a TE but he has all the physical attributes of a WR and he lines up at WR a lot (maybe even the majority of the time). He reminds me a lot of Jimmy Graham in New Orleans.

Return to Chicago Bulls