Image ImageImage Image

Billy Donovan hired as next Bulls coach - Full coaching staff p43

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

TheHrvReport
Bench Warmer
And1: 798

Re: BREAKING NEWS : Billy Donovan hired as next Bulls coach 

Post#681 » by TheHrvReport » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:21 am

ZOMG wrote:
PhilLeotardo wrote:Coby White has the potential to be an absolute star/franchise cornerstone in this league. He had to be a big big reason Donovan signed on. He has the potential to be one if not THE best scoring guards in basketball. He’s a considerably better prospect than Markkanen simply due to the fact that he can create for himself on a whim. Which isn’t really saying much, because Cobi is already one of the fastest people in the league, and Lauri is a slow footed PF, but he’s more of a major piece going forward than Markkanen is imo

I hope the best for Markkanen, but I’m just not sure the Bulls is where he belongs. Dizzyingly high pressure environment, I don’t think he’ll thrive there long term. And regarding his game, I like some things about it, but he is just so unbelievably slow footed. It’s cringe to watch. I don’t ever see him being consistently competent on defense. I actually think he’s a prime candidate to wind up back in Europe eventually, if he doesn’t get traded to a team like Phoenix, where the pressure is immensely lower & the environment is more chill & less intense. We’ll see though, I’d love to be proven wrong

For all we know though, AKEVS/Donovan aren’t high on ANY of these guys, and the only people left on the roster in a year will be Cobi/Wendell/Gafford. No one really has any idea. The really unfortunate part, is that so much crucial developmental time has been squandered over the past 3/4 years. That tank job that YouKnowWho spearheaded was just about the sloppiest, most misguided tank job that the league has ever seen. Those two had NO idea what they were doing, two of the biggest morons that have ever worked in an NBA front office

Wow. That's... quite a take. Let's dissect some of this.

Coby fans keep repeating that "he can create for himself". What does that really mean? In Coby's case, it usually meant stopping the ball, dancing at the perimeter, faking a drive and hoisting up a difficult step-back with a hand in his face. Now, this may be news to some... but thats not "creating". It's just forcing a bad shot while stagnating the offense. Sure, Coby made some of these - because he took an ABSOLUTE S**TLOAD of them. Putting up shots is not a rare skill in the NBA. But you almost never see a bad rookie get such a bright green light.

Meanwhile, Coby cant "create" anything ending with a drive because he can't finish at the basket with his below average vertical and short arms. That makes him extremely one-dimensional. Everyone knows he wants the long step-back, and they let him have it because it's such a bad shot - particuarly as a two. In this respect, Coby is extremely similar to Zach - neither of them realizes that they're playing right into the hands of the defense by taking the shots the other team wants them to take. They're a couple of jump shooters who love to hold the ball but don't put pressure on the defense.

I think the truth is somewhere in between what you said and the poster above. Coby is not an elite athlete and does struggle breaking down the defense at times which results in him taking tough fade aways with a hand in his face. Towards the end of the year he went on a hot streak and was making really high difficulty shots. I would NOT expect that to continue moving forward as the "norm" for him.

However, he is underrated with his craftiness, hesitations and dribbling which will allow him to create separation. The form on his jump shot is almost textbook as well, I think there is a moderate to high probability he becomes an elite shooter eventually in the league which will allow him to score a ton with good efficiency in the future. Another thing is he is VERY good going down hill on the fast break, he is very fast once he puts the ball on the floor. Add to that average to above average defense and underrated passing (he also makes very quick decisions dishing the ball on fast breaks to teammates leading to easy layups and or lobs) and i'd be confident saying Coby will a net positive player and likely a borderline all star if everything comes together for him. I wouldn't say "cornerstone franchise player", though. A lot of people compared him to Ben Gordon coming into the NBA, and actually saying that was his ceiling. I actually think Gordon is closer to his floor rather than his ceiling.
Bulls Fan 23
Pro Prospect
And1: 250

Post#682 » by Bulls Fan 23 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:27 am

rmlsr wrote:I’m curious as to what kind of coaching staff Donovan puts together. I am sure it will be good. If Ime Udoka does not get head coaching job it could be possible he ends up here. But not likely. But possible. Lol

I was wondering the same thing. Will he bring some of his assistants from Okc, keep some of the Bulls assistants or pick some new ones.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#683 » by MrFortune3 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:04 am

Dominater wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:
dice wrote:which begs the question: what did billy donovan do to screw up corey brewer?

Nothing. Brewer was always overrated. It happens in basketball a lot due to teams they play on, camps they attend and etc.
Brewer never put all of the immense potential he had together. Al and Jo outworked him and became better players, he just wanted to dunk and take bad shots while relying on his athleticism.

Not im not understanding that strawman he was getting at. Brewer was great in college. Some of his pre-draft comps were Scottie Pippen :lol:

Probably doesn't help that he was drafted by Minnesota, where it seemed like all top college players went to die.

This brings back momories of how "loaded" that draft was supposed to be. You had Oden bust (i know injuries but doesnt change the fact he busted), Yi Jianlian bust, Jeff Green meh, Brewer even more meh, Brandon Wright bust, Spencer Hawes a couple years of meh.

For all that hype KD was the only real superstar so come from that draft. Only real steal outside the top 10 was Gasol. Just goes to show that nobody reallly knows whether a draft is strong or weak until years later

Brewer was not great in college. He was the most overhyped of the Florida trio. He was just an athletic freak scouts made excuses for.

Which also brings up the issue of perception vs reality. The draft only matters with regards to the end result and what actually became reality, not the perceived quality beforehand.
MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#684 » by MrFortune3 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:07 am

drosereturn wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:People keep forgetting. Coby and Zach ball stopped because the other guys on offense were not looking to be aggressive and take shots.

Some of that was Boylen's scheme, but most of it was their lack of aggression. Especially Lauri.

And whose fault was it for the lack of aggression? It was bc of White, Lavine, and Boylen.

Lauri. He played like dog **** last year. I'm sure part of it was injury but the scheme wasn't the only reason he regressed.
E-DC
Sophomore
And1: 182

Post#685 » by E-DC » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:34 am

MrFortune3 wrote:
drosereturn wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:People keep forgetting. Coby and Zach ball stopped because the other guys on offense were not looking to be aggressive and take shots.

Some of that was Boylen's scheme, but most of it was their lack of aggression. Especially Lauri.

And whose fault was it for the lack of aggression? It was bc of White, Lavine, and Boylen.

Lauri. He played like dog **** last year. I'm sure part of it was injury but the scheme wasn't the only reason he regressed.

Let's not forget Markkanen did have a 17 game stretch where he averaged 18 points and 6 rebounds, while shooting 49% and 40%. More importantly, he had an ORtg of 120 and a DRtg of 108. It was at the end of this stretch of games that he sustained the injury.

In addition, if you go back and watch that first game of the season, when Lauri flat out dominated, you'll see he took about seven to eight mid-range shots. It was after that game that his mid-range shot selection seemed to be taken away within Boylen's "offensive scheme".

Don't quote me on this, but I think I remember some inside info posted on this board from a Finnish source mentioning Lauri getting admonished for the way he played that game. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this or maybe I'm mis-remembering.
MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#686 » by MrFortune3 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:48 am

E-DC wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:
drosereturn wrote:

Let's not forget Markkanen did have a 17 game stretch where he averaged 18 points and 6 rebounds, while shooting 49% and 40%. More importantly, he had an ORtg of 120 and a DRtg of 108. It was at the end of this stretch of games that he sustained the injury.

In addition, if you go back and watch that first game of the season, when Lauri flat out dominated, you'll see he took about seven to eight mid-range shots. It was after that game that his mid-range shot selection seemed to be taken away within Boylen's "offensive scheme".

Don't quote me on this, but I think I remember some inside info posted on this board from a Finnish source mentioning Lauri getting admonished for the way he played that game. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this or maybe I'm mis-remembering.

Oh I think we all remember. He had us excited for a breakout season and then just went to ****.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#687 » by FriedRise » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:55 am

Another one

;ab_channel=ChicagoBulls
JimmyButler21
Starter
And1: 1,570

Post#688 » by JimmyButler21 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:51 am

FriedRise wrote:Another one

;ab_channel=ChicagoBulls

Amin might be the best offseason acquisition of their many. Huge upgrade over Funk.
rmlsr
Freshman
And1: 32

Post#689 » by rmlsr » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:20 am

Bulls Fan 23 wrote:
rmlsr wrote:I’m curious as to what kind of coaching staff Donovan puts together. I am sure it will be good. If Ime Udoka does not get head coaching job it could be possible he ends up here. But not likely. But possible. Lol

I was wondering the same thing. Will he bring some of his assistants from Okc, keep some of the Bulls assistants or pick some new ones.

I would think he would bring one or two that he had last year. Just guessing but then try filling out the rest of staff with best available coaches he can hire. So they could be hired from anywhere. It will be interesting to see who he hires.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#690 » by FranchisePlayer » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:32 am

It's not lack of aggression if you're being told to stand still. Obedience, what good is that.

Luckily, in the upcoming games we'll see a different scheme.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
wonderboy2
Analyst
And1: 1,949

Post#691 » by wonderboy2 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:02 am

FranchisePlayer wrote:

It's not lack of aggression if you're being told to stand still. Obedience, what good is that.

Luckily, in the upcoming games we'll see a different scheme.

Nope that’s not the case. It has been mentioned that the coaching staff was on players such as Sato to be more agressive. Sato in an interview even mentioned that he needed to be more aggressive but he never did it.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#692 » by Dominator83 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:54 am

I had Lavine this year in fantasy. So I was paying Lot of attention to him. I can tell you just from that, Lavine had an easy 5-6 blown assists per game. Lauri by himself blew a good 3 Zach assists every game. And a couple times this year Lavine made an assist, and the score keeper gave it to Sato. :banghead:

Made Satos face even more punchable than it already was
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
E-DC
Sophomore

Post#693 » by E-DC » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:58 am

MrFortune3 wrote:
E-DC wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:

Oh I think we all remember. He had us excited for a breakout season and then just went to ****.

How is an ORtg of 120 and a DRtg of 108 ****? This was the stretch before the injury.
E-DC
Sophomore

Post#694 » by E-DC » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:01 pm

Dominater wrote:

I had Lavine this year in fantasy. So I was paying Lot of attention to him. I can tell you just from that, Lavine had an easy 5-6 blown assists per game. Lauri by himself blew a good 3 Zach assists every game. And a couple times this year Lavine made an assist, and the score keeper gave it to Sato. :banghead:

Hopefully Donovan will put more weight on advanced stats than fantasy ones.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,654

Post#695 » by sco » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:19 pm

FriedRise wrote:Another one

;ab_channel=ChicagoBulls

Great watch!

I thought it was interesting that he noted Lauri having quick feet and he was SO high on Thad's leadership. I was very happy he acknowledged the team's injury challenges for the past few years as a key consideration. Also possibly telling that there was no mention of Sato, Hutch, Gafford?
:clap:
MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#696 » by MrFortune3 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:14 pm

E-DC wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:
E-DC wrote:

How is an ORtg of 120 and a DRtg of 108 ****? This was the stretch before the injury.

As a whole, he played like **** this past season. His only good month was December, He averaged 17.6 ppg and shot well from the field and from 3 during that month.
October he shot like **** even though he had a 17.4 ppg average, December is the only time he didn't play like **** last year.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#697 » by Dominator83 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:34 pm

E-DC wrote:
Dominater wrote:

Well part of my point was, that Zach WAS setting guys up for easy looks several times a game, and they wouldn't connect on them. The whole "Zach doesn't create shots for others" narrative is a stereotype.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,548

Post#698 » by PaKii94 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:39 pm

Dominater wrote:
E-DC wrote:
Dominater wrote:I had Lavine this year in fantasy. So I was paying Lot of attention to him. I can tell you just from that, Lavine had an easy 5-6 blown assists per game. Lauri by himself blew a good 3 Zach assists every game. And a couple times this year Lavine made an assist, and the score keeper gave it to Sato. :banghead:

Well part of my point was, that Zach WAS setting guys up for easy looks several times a game, and they wouldn't connect on them. The whole "Zach doesn't create shots for others" narrative is a stereotype.

Jerian grant averaged decent amount of assists too. That doesn't make him (or Lavine) a playmaker or shot creator for others. Offensive timing and flow matters a lot and Lavine is lacking in that.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,266

Post#699 » by kodo » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:06 pm

Dominater wrote:

I'd agree, Zach is not a ball stopper. His assist total was good for a guy who is a scoring wing at 4.2..he would have more assists than Tatum or Brown in Boston. And getting an assist assumes the receiver can actually make a shot...something that was non-existent for the entire 1st half of the season in Chicago with Otto gone, Lauri unable to hit anything, and Kris Dunn & Sato & Wendell as your shooters.

Lavine made 39.4 passes per game. That's well within the norm for SGs.
Donovan Mitchell: 41.0
SGA: 38.7
Booker: 32.0
McCollum: 40.9
Derozan: 38.0
Jaylen Brown: 27.9
Evan Fournier: 25.1
MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#700 » by MrFortune3 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:22 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
Dominater wrote:
E-DC wrote:Hopefully Donovan will put more weight on advanced stats than fantasy ones.

Jerian grant averaged decent amount of assists too. That doesn't make him (or Lavine) a playmaker or shot creator for others. Offensive timing and flow matters a lot and Lavine is lacking in that.

How dare you! :lol:

Return to Chicago Bulls