Image ImageImage Image

Lauri:' I can make the comeback'

Moderators: HomoSapien, fleet, RedBulls23, Ice Man, AshyLarrysDiaper, Tommy Udo 6 , GimmeDat, dougthonus, Payt10, DASMACKDOWN, kulaz3000

ZOMG
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,983
And1: 2,308
Joined: Dec 31, 2013

Re: Lauri:' I can make the comeback' 

Post#201 » by ZOMG » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:28 pm

FranchisePlayer wrote:Congrats for Lauri for another child!

I wonder, I just wonder what having his second child will do for Lauri. As a father myself I know it's a blessing but the nights, continuosly, with max. 4 hours of sleep are still fresh in my memory... For the sake of his basketball career, I hope they understand to hire a baby nurse soon, as in yesterday.


Oh FFS. I'm sorry, obviously this isn't the politically correct thing to say, but... two kids at age 23, in the middle of the most critical phase of his career so far...? When he absolutely needs to concentrate 100% on basketball?

I dunno.
Current status: ACTIVE
Former status: BANNED FOR DERAILING DISCUSSION
Dez
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,115
And1: 5,613
Joined: Jul 23, 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
 

Re: Lauri:' I can make the comeback' 

Post#202 » by Dez » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:48 pm

ZOMG wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:Congrats for Lauri for another child!

I wonder, I just wonder what having his second child will do for Lauri. As a father myself I know it's a blessing but the nights, continuosly, with max. 4 hours of sleep are still fresh in my memory... For the sake of his basketball career, I hope they understand to hire a baby nurse soon, as in yesterday.


Oh FFS. I'm sorry, obviously this isn't the politically correct thing to say, but... two kids at age 23, in the middle of the most critical phase of his career so far...? When he absolutely needs to concentrate 100% on basketball?

I dunno.


Is this a legit post?

2 kids by 23 is far from unusual and doesn't mean he can't concentrate 100% on basketball, that's ridiculous.
PhilLeotardo
Junior
Posts: 285
And1: 181
Joined: Sep 23, 2020
 

Re: Lauri:' I can make the comeback' 

Post#203 » by PhilLeotardo » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:57 pm

Dez wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:Congrats for Lauri for another child!

I wonder, I just wonder what having his second child will do for Lauri. As a father myself I know it's a blessing but the nights, continuosly, with max. 4 hours of sleep are still fresh in my memory... For the sake of his basketball career, I hope they understand to hire a baby nurse soon, as in yesterday.


Oh FFS. I'm sorry, obviously this isn't the politically correct thing to say, but... two kids at age 23, in the middle of the most critical phase of his career so far...? When he absolutely needs to concentrate 100% on basketball?

I dunno.


Is this a legit post?

2 kids by 23 is far from unusual and doesn't mean he can't concentrate 100% on basketball, that's ridiculous.


Well it’s most certainly unusual in 2020, and for good reason, but yeah. Rich people hire these things called “nannies” lol.

Lol @thinking Markkanen is on 3 hours of sleep as a rich NBA player just because he had a kid haha!!

I also chuckled at the bizarre “politically correct” disclaimer before he/she questioned Markkanens decision to have another kid. How would that be politically correct/incorrect? I don’t think that person understands the definition of the term “politically correct/incorrect” lol!
ZOMG
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,983
And1: 2,308
Joined: Dec 31, 2013

Re: Lauri:' I can make the comeback' 

Post#204 » by ZOMG » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:00 pm

Dez wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:Congrats for Lauri for another child!

I wonder, I just wonder what having his second child will do for Lauri. As a father myself I know it's a blessing but the nights, continuosly, with max. 4 hours of sleep are still fresh in my memory... For the sake of his basketball career, I hope they understand to hire a baby nurse soon, as in yesterday.


Oh FFS. I'm sorry, obviously this isn't the politically correct thing to say, but... two kids at age 23, in the middle of the most critical phase of his career so far...? When he absolutely needs to concentrate 100% on basketball?

I dunno.


Is this a legit post?

2 kids by 23 is far from unusual and doesn't mean he can't concentrate 100% on basketball, that's ridiculous.


I read an interview by Lauri when he'd had the first kid and he said they basically had zero help. No nannies or nurses, certainly. It's the Finnish way, I guess. I think Lauri's mom came over a few times and helped out a bit. That's it.

Lauri's taking this dad thing very seriously indeed. Which is fine... but it's not a good mix with an NBA career that's in "now or never" mode.
Current status: ACTIVE
Former status: BANNED FOR DERAILING DISCUSSION
ZOMG
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,983
And1: 2,308
Joined: Dec 31, 2013

Re: Lauri:' I can make the comeback' 

Post#205 » by ZOMG » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:04 pm

PhilLeotardo wrote:
Dez wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
Oh FFS. I'm sorry, obviously this isn't the politically correct thing to say, but... two kids at age 23, in the middle of the most critical phase of his career so far...? When he absolutely needs to concentrate 100% on basketball?

I dunno.


Is this a legit post?

2 kids by 23 is far from unusual and doesn't mean he can't concentrate 100% on basketball, that's ridiculous.


Well it’s most certainly unusual in 2020, and for good reason, but yeah. Rich people hire these things called “nannies” lol.

Lol @thinking Markkanen is on 3 hours of sleep as a rich NBA player just because he had a kid haha!!

I also chuckled at the bizarre “politically correct” disclaimer before he/she questioned Markkanens decision to have another kid. How would that be politically correct/incorrect? I don’t think that person understands the definition of the term “politically correct/incorrect” lol!


You're a pretty exhausting dude.
Current status: ACTIVE
Former status: BANNED FOR DERAILING DISCUSSION
sco
RealGM
Posts: 15,563
And1: 4,114
Joined: Sep 22, 2003
Location: Virtually Everywhere!

Re: Lauri:' I can make the comeback' 

Post#206 » by sco » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:11 pm

Again, I'm happy for him and his family, but it is another non-trivial obstacle for him to him becoming great this season and other reason I am leaning more toward trading him for a late-teens pick in this draft.
:clap:
User avatar
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 48,229
And1: 8,156
Joined: Dec 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: Lauri:' I can make the comeback' 

Post#207 » by dougthonus » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:40 pm

Dez wrote:Is this a legit post?

2 kids by 23 is far from unusual and doesn't mean he can't concentrate 100% on basketball, that's ridiculous.


Strikes me as pretty unusual for wealth career focused people. Really it just depends how much work he's doing with the kids. If you are living with kids and doing a lot with them, then it will have an impact on you for sure.

Obviously he could afford a nanny, but most times a nanny is only going to help you during the day, not nights. That said, I don't think this is make or break thing, I don't think he'd be great without kids and awful with them, but it sure will put him under a lot more stress, add distraction, limit sleep, remove focus if he's very involved.

Someone here posted that culturally, they would expect him to be extremely involved.

Not to say he should or should not have kids. Not my business to decide the guys life altering personal decisions, but I wouldn't dismiss the impact of having babies in your house on your ability to do other tasks, it's massively life altering in ways that shift your focus away from what you used to focus on.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
jmajew
Pro Prospect
Posts: 978
And1: 240
Joined: Feb 12, 2009
         

Re: Lauri:' I can make the comeback' 

Post#208 » by jmajew » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:18 pm

PhilLeotardo wrote:
Dez wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
Oh FFS. I'm sorry, obviously this isn't the politically correct thing to say, but... two kids at age 23, in the middle of the most critical phase of his career so far...? When he absolutely needs to concentrate 100% on basketball?

I dunno.


Is this a legit post?

2 kids by 23 is far from unusual and doesn't mean he can't concentrate 100% on basketball, that's ridiculous.


Well it’s most certainly unusual in 2020, and for good reason, but yeah. Rich people hire these things called “nannies” lol.

Lol @thinking Markkanen is on 3 hours of sleep as a rich NBA player just because he had a kid haha!!

I also chuckled at the bizarre “politically correct” disclaimer before he/she questioned Markkanens decision to have another kid. How would that be politically correct/incorrect? I don’t think that person understands the definition of the term “politically correct/incorrect” lol!



I'm by no means a rich NBA player but my wife took a year sabbatical from her job after our second and after the third she stopped working all together. She plans on going back to teaching when the kids are little older, probably going to start subbing a couple days a week when schools are back open normally, was going to do this year but the circumstances worked out that we are lucky a k-8 teacher gets to stay home with my kids in K and 3rd grade. All that said, our agreement was I'm going to stay career focused during this time and try to maximize my income. While she is off I will do little of the child rearing and little of the house work. I work 60 + hours a week most weeks. When I'm home I spend 100% of my time with my family, coach sports, play games, etc. Point is I'm sure he helps a little at night but his wife probably understands the amount of work he needs to put in to be successful.
Jiipee84
Senior
Posts: 560
And1: 125
Joined: Feb 08, 2019
     

Re: Lauri:' I can make the comeback' 

Post#209 » by Jiipee84 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:46 pm

GrowingHorns wrote:LAURI has een named tentatively on the list of 25 possible players on Euro Championship Qualifiers games, that would be taking place on November 28th and November 30th. The games would be held in a bubble, in Finland, and would be against Georgia and Serbia.

As much i'd like to see him with us, its his contract year ahead so i hope he don't join the team if bulls would allow it. There would be pros in seeing old buddies and getting competitive games, but even as a Finn I feel like no for this. Sabonis and Valanciunas will be playing for Lithuania in their games, just as a side note...


Finland doesn't have any chance to win Serbia so it doesn't matter is Markkanen on the Finland's team or not.

Only game where Finland might have advantage with Markkanen is Georgia vs Finland.
Georgia doesn't have any NBA players so maybe that is the game which Finland might win even without Markkanen.

But if / when Fiba allows NBA players participation in these games then it might be good test for Lauri
to see where he's going as a player if / when he really plays against Serbia's NBA players ( Jokic, Bogdanovic, Marjanovic, Bjelica )

If Finland wants to play next Eurobasket tournament they have to win one of Georgia and Switzerland.
Georgia is one of the tournament hosts in Eurobasket so they'll be in Eurobasket even if they lose all rest games
because tournament host cannot relegated.
Bullstuff
Ballboy
Posts: 31
And1: 14
Joined: Nov 01, 2019

Re: Lauri:' I can make the comeback' 

Post#210 » by Bullstuff » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:38 pm

Jiipee84 wrote:Finland doesn't have any chance to win Serbia so it doesn't matter is Markkanen on the Finland's team or not.


It's one game? After pretty much a pretty long break in basketball altogether (due to covid...)? Of course there's a chance and probably a better chance with LM on the team.
Jiipee84
Senior
Posts: 560
And1: 125
Joined: Feb 08, 2019
     

Re: Lauri:' I can make the comeback' 

Post#211 » by Jiipee84 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:19 pm

Bullstuff wrote:
Jiipee84 wrote:Finland doesn't have any chance to win Serbia so it doesn't matter is Markkanen on the Finland's team or not.


It's one game? After pretty much a pretty long break in basketball altogether (due to covid...)? Of course there's a chance and probably a better chance with LM on the team.


First and foremost i wanna remind you some facts between Serbia and Finland.

Serbia is TOP3 basketball force in Europe and entire world.
Finland has played twice ( once in Eurobasket and this years Eurobasket qualification round ) vs Serbia
and lost both games almost +30 points if i'm not mistaken.

And what comes getting Lauri Markkanen to Finnish national team
of course i wanna see him playing all 2 games but it's not set in stone yet.
FIBA and NBA are negotiating of allowing NBA players participation in Eurobasket qualification round.

But if NBA starts their regular season before Christmas then there is no chance
for that Bulls will allow Lauri's playing in Finnish national team
because if NBA and NBA's player association decides together start season 2020-2021 before Christmas
then it means that training camps starts same time when Finland is playing Eurobasket qualification round games.

But lets wait and see how those negotiations with FIBA and NBA goes and is NBA players participation allowed or not.
Those qualification round games in Finland will played in bubble and all players will be tested every day
COVID19 pandemic situation is getting worse in Finland but for now sport events are allowed.

Finnish elite basketball league named korisliiga has started their regular season.
But there is very strict security-rules and attendance capacity is limited
also every fan who's coming to watch games needs to wear a mask.

So i'm sure Finnish basketball association will follow same rules and orders what korisliiga is doing now.
But a lot can change before those qualification round games starts.
Bullstuff
Ballboy
Posts: 31
And1: 14
Joined: Nov 01, 2019

Re: Lauri:' I can make the comeback' 

Post#212 » by Bullstuff » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:23 am

Jiipee84 wrote:
First and foremost i wanna remind you some facts between Serbia and Finland.

Serbia is TOP3 basketball force in Europe and entire world.
Finland has played twice ( once in Eurobasket and this years Eurobasket qualification round ) vs Serbia
and lost both games almost +30 points if i'm not mistaken.


Because Finland lost twice, so why play at all you mean? Ranking and all of Serbia's basketball legacy aside: It is still one game. A home game at that (if that means anything in these Covid-times...).

Yes, Serbia is the favourite and likely to win probably 6 out of 7 games, but if Serbia plays with that 'TOP3 basketball force in Europe and entire world'-attitude the odds for Finland likely increase.

And yes, you are right that Finland has lost twice in (meaningful) games pretty recently, but you are mistaken about the +30 points, if you care to check (I did), not that either way really matters.
Jiipee84
Senior
Posts: 560
And1: 125
Joined: Feb 08, 2019
     

Re: Lauri:' I can make the comeback' 

Post#213 » by Jiipee84 » Sun Nov 1, 2020 7:40 pm

Bullstuff wrote:
Jiipee84 wrote:
First and foremost i wanna remind you some facts between Serbia and Finland.

Serbia is TOP3 basketball force in Europe and entire world.
Finland has played twice ( once in Eurobasket and this years Eurobasket qualification round ) vs Serbia
and lost both games almost +30 points if i'm not mistaken.


Because Finland lost twice, so why play at all you mean? Ranking and all of Serbia's basketball legacy aside: It is still one game. A home game at that (if that means anything in these Covid-times...).

Yes, Serbia is the favourite and likely to win probably 6 out of 7 games, but if Serbia plays with that 'TOP3 basketball force in Europe and entire world'-attitude the odds for Finland likely increase.

And yes, you are right that Finland has lost twice in (meaningful) games pretty recently, but you are mistaken about the +30 points, if you care to check (I did), not that either way really matters.


Of course anything can happen in one game but Serbia is always favorite when they play against team like Finland.
Yeah Finland has lost both games vs Serbia but they are already beaten other European Basketball nations
like France, Greece and Russia, Poland etc so beating Serbia would be cool but how likely it is.

By the way is there any new information of NBA season 2020-2021 and when games in NBA should start.
NHL has trying start their season in early January or February 2021 but how's NBA.

Last what i'm read was that NBA tries start their season in December before Christmas so is that still possible
or is there any changes from negotiations and how long season 2020-2021 should be in NBA.

82 games probably isn't possible or even likely but how shortened NBA season.
Only new information what i have is that NBA wants finish their season before summer Olympic games in Tokyo.
sami71
Sophomore
Posts: 220
And1: 153
Joined: Jun 27, 2017
   

Re: Lauri:' I can make the comeback' 

Post#214 » by sami71 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:40 pm

Finnish head coach Henrik Dettmann confirmed that LM will not be joining Team Finland. Dettmann said that this is final and it has been confirmed this morning.

Source in Finnish: https://yle.fi/urheilu/3-11644226
sco
RealGM
Posts: 15,563
And1: 4,114
Joined: Sep 22, 2003
Location: Virtually Everywhere!

Re: Lauri:' I can make the comeback' 

Post#215 » by sco » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:20 pm

sami71 wrote:Finnish head coach Henrik Dettmann confirmed that LM will not be joining Team Finland. Dettmann said that this is final and it has been confirmed this morning.

Source in Finnish: https://yle.fi/urheilu/3-11644226

Looks like Lauri at least cares a little about next season, but apologies to Finn fans.
:clap:
sami71
Sophomore
Posts: 220
And1: 153
Joined: Jun 27, 2017
   

Re: Lauri:' I can make the comeback' 

Post#216 » by sami71 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:22 pm

sco wrote:
sami71 wrote:Finnish head coach Henrik Dettmann confirmed that LM will not be joining Team Finland. Dettmann said that this is final and it has been confirmed this morning.

Source in Finnish: https://yle.fi/urheilu/3-11644226

Looks like Lauri at least cares a little about next season, but apologies to Finn fans.

It was not Lauri’s decision. Apparently and according to Dettmann it was an NBA vs FIBA and the state of no contract between the two. Unfortunately. I too want him to put everything he has towards the next season.
User avatar
Swuul
Sophomore
Posts: 126
And1: 101
Joined: Oct 26, 2017
   

Re: Lauri:' I can make the comeback' 

Post#217 » by Swuul » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:32 am

sco wrote:Looks like Lauri at least cares a little about next season, but apologies to Finn fans.

It is because of the current situation of no deal between FIBA and NBA. The Olympic Games are looming in the horizon, and NBA would want a bitter piece of the cake; Olympic organisation isn't giving a cent more than they have agreed to (despite that the original agreement was for this year), so it is a discussion of how big cut NBA gets from the FIBA piece.
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count, and those who can't.
TimRobbins
General Manager
Posts: 8,010
And1: 2,141
Joined: Nov 15, 2014

Re: Lauri:' I can make the comeback' 

Post#218 » by TimRobbins » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:58 pm

Too injury prone. You simply can’t keep him of a long-term contract.
Mbrahv0528
Starter
Posts: 2,356
And1: 939
Joined: May 19, 2010
       

Re: Lauri:' I can make the comeback' 

Post#219 » by Mbrahv0528 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:43 pm

Dez wrote:
drosereturn wrote:
BeKuK wrote:"....I can make the comeback....." sounds like he's 30 years old and returning from a huge injury and being a superstar.

He can't make a comeback when he still hasn't go to his top yet.

Just stay healthy.....play basketball and forget Jimbo.


well his peak was pretty high it eclipsed Portis, Mirtoic as a player and looked like he was a surefire perennial all star.
if any player's 2nd yr is that good, they usually end up being max players he thought he would be one.


No he wasn't and no it didn't.
Yes he was and yes it did.

Sent from my SM-F707U using RealGM mobile app
Dez
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,115
And1: 5,613
Joined: Jul 23, 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
 

Re: Lauri:' I can make the comeback' 

Post#220 » by Dez » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:24 pm

Mbrahv0528 wrote:
Dez wrote:
drosereturn wrote:
well his peak was pretty high it eclipsed Portis, Mirtoic as a player and looked like he was a surefire perennial all star.
if any player's 2nd yr is that good, they usually end up being max players he thought he would be one.


No he wasn't and no it didn't.
Yes he was and yes it did.

Sent from my SM-F707U using RealGM mobile app

Lauri hasn't eclipsed Niko at all and hasn't looked like an All Star.

Return to Chicago Bulls