Image ImageImage Image

2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick 4th: PT 3

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread: Bulls pick 4th: PT 2 

Post#1 » by Chi town » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:40 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:The Saric comp is not non-sensical. There are obvious similarities. It's certainly closer than an MPJ comp (what the ****?).

Deni is indeed faster as he actually has very nice straight-line speed/burst. Saric doesn't have that. That makes Denia different transition player than Saric, but in the half-court you're not using straight-line speed that much. On the flip side, Saric had plainly better shooting stats and is stronger/stouter. But the whole playmaking forward thing is basically copy/pasted from Saric's scouting report to Deni's.

Statistically, they are similar. Similar accolades from European Youth Tournaments as well (e.g. MVPs).

Sure you can point out differences. Some which are to Deni's benefit. But are they different enough that you think Deni is going to be way above Saric in the NBA hierarchy? I don't see that.

Saric has no handle. Has never been used as the handler in PnR. Denis has and looks really good there.

This is a major contrast. Saric has never been a wing. Deni is a wing.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,859

Post#2 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:42 pm

MPJ is quite a bit taller/longer than Deni. MPJ has a 9' reach and looks gigantic out there which makes me think he may have grown an inch. Meanwhile, Deni has the height/wingspan of a pedestrian wing/forward.

I agree they both have the same primary position at the 4. But MPJ will play some 5 in his career, and he also poses a scoring mismatch at the 3. I don't see the same for Deni at all. He's a 3/4 but poses mismatch problems at neither position. Deni can't play the 5 either.
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,697

Post#3 » by SfBull » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:43 pm

gobullschi wrote:
Almost Retired wrote:And if the gamble on Deni doesn't work out next year's Draft is so loaded with quality wings that we an try again to fill this position of need. But I say take the chance. Deni might be better than some expect. And he'd have a year to learn the NBA game from OPJ and work on his body and his game. We don't need him to start on Day #1. We have OPJ on a contract year. He's liable to stay healthy and perform well in anticipation of getting another good contract here or elsewhere after the season.

You’re assuming the Bulls will be in a position to select one of the wings. The Bulls already lucked out with the season cutting short while all the starters were out with injuries.

I don’t see the Bulls in the lottery next season. The starters will be healthy, they have a legit NBA coach, SOME player development, and a top 5 draft pick. Bulls need to hit on this pick or they might end up in NBA purgatory. (First round playoff exit each year)

The best we can project for this roster is a first round exit and it would be a huge improvement from now.Besides that no player from this draft seems to have star potential even if we trade up.I believe next season will be one of player development looking for a 7th or 8th playoff spot if we can stay healthy.Most likely we'll end the regular season with 30-35 wins.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,859

Post#4 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:47 pm

Chi town wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:The Saric comp is not non-sensical. There are obvious similarities. It's certainly closer than an MPJ comp (what the ****?).

Deni is indeed faster as he actually has very nice straight-line speed/burst. Saric doesn't have that. That makes Denia different transition player than Saric, but in the half-court you're not using straight-line speed that much. On the flip side, Saric had plainly better shooting stats and is stronger/stouter. But the whole playmaking forward thing is basically copy/pasted from Saric's scouting report to Deni's.

Statistically, they are similar. Similar accolades from European Youth Tournaments as well (e.g. MVPs).

Sure you can point out differences. Some which are to Deni's benefit. But are they different enough that you think Deni is going to be way above Saric in the NBA hierarchy? I don't see that.

Saric has no handle. Has never been used as the handler in PnR. Denis has and looks really good there.

This is a major contrast. Saric has never been a wing. Deni is a wing.

Evidence of Deni's handle? I've seen no evidence of him having any sort of cross-over ability. He's a straight line driver who mixes in some step-backs dribbles and the occasional hang dribble.
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#5 » by SfBull » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:48 pm

Southpaw wrote:Killian Hayes is growing on me as a prospect. I'm not saying he's gonna be as good but does anyone else think he's comparable to Harden pre-draft? Same size, almost the same set of strengths and weaknesses.

Not sure about comparing him with Harden.
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#6 » by SfBull » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:50 pm

gobullschi wrote:
Southpaw wrote:Killian Hayes is growing on me as a prospect. I'm not saying he's gonna be as good but does anyone else think he's comparable to Harden pre-draft? Same size, almost the same set of strengths and weaknesses.

Hayes has a very nice step back jumper which is why the Harden comp gets thrown out there. Stylistically, there are some similarities to their game. But Harden is a far superior athlete in every metric. Hayes athleticism is between Kirk Hinrich and Spencer Dinwiddie (slightly above average). He’s a better passer than both those guys though.

Personally, I think the Hayes - Chicago link is being fabricated to entice Detroit, Phoenix, or New York to trade up. He’s not really a good ‘fit’ and doesn’t have the upside as other prospects that will be available at 4. Bulls NEED a home run with this pick. Although Hayes’ free throw percent is an encouraging sign, those athletic limitations are going to limit his ceiling.

Do you see a home run available in this draft?
I don't.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#7 » by Chi town » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:50 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:MPJ is quite a bit taller/longer than Deni. MPJ has a 9' reach and looks gigantic out there which makes me think he may have grown an inch. Meanwhile, Deni has the height/wingspan of a pedestrian wing/forward.

I agree they both have the same primary position at the 4. But MPJ will play some 5 in his career, and he also poses a scoring mismatch at the 3. I don't see the same for Deni at all. He's a 3/4 but poses mismatch problems at neither position. Deni can't play the 5 either.

MPJ at the 5... maybe if the center position is completely eliminated. If he does play the 5 it will be spot mins. Hope his back holds up.
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#8 » by SfBull » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:55 pm

Southpaw wrote:
gobullschi wrote:

Hayes has a very nice step back jumper which is why the Harden comp gets thrown out there. Stylistically, there are some similarities to their game. But Harden is a far superior athlete in every metric. Hayes athleticism is between Kirk Hinrich and Spencer Dinwiddie (slightly above average). He’s a better passer than both those guys though.

Personally, I think the Hayes - Chicago link is being fabricated to entice Detroit, Phoenix, or New York to trade up. He’s not really a good ‘fit’ and doesn’t have the upside as other prospects that will be available at 4. Bulls NEED a home run with this pick. Although Hayes’ free throw percent is an encouraging sign, those athletic limitations are going to limit his ceiling.

I remember Harden being tagged as unathletic pre-draft but I always thought that was wrong because I always saw him as a decent athlete with good-great handles and the reason why he was seen as such is because of his physique.

If Hayes is that unatheltic, that would be a problem unless he develops as a knock down 3pt shooter, which I guess is possible given his excellent free throw shooting. Agreeing that we do need a homerun pick but I feel like it's also as important to hit on this pick because we after a couple of tanking years, we still doesn't have a signature player.

Not so important as 2021 draft seems to be much better.I mean, we're in developmental mode next season so it isn't so essential to draft a generational player ( if that kind of player is available in this draft which seems unlikely) ,we can go for players with good potential and develop them .If we can get a top 10 pick in 2021 we'll be in position for trying a home run .
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#9 » by SfBull » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:00 pm

PhilLeotardo wrote:
gobullschi wrote:
Almost Retired wrote:And if the gamble on Deni doesn't work out next year's Draft is so loaded with quality wings that we an try again to fill this position of need. But I say take the chance. Deni might be better than some expect. And he'd have a year to learn the NBA game from OPJ and work on his body and his game. We don't need him to start on Day #1. We have OPJ on a contract year. He's liable to stay healthy and perform well in anticipation of getting another good contract here or elsewhere after the season.

You’re assuming the Bulls will be in a position to select one of the wings. The Bulls already lucked out with the season cutting short while all the starters were out with injuries.

I don’t see the Bulls in the lottery next season. The starters will be healthy, they have a legit NBA coach, SOME player development, and a top 5 draft pick. Bulls need to hit on this pick or they might end up in NBA purgatory. (First round playoff exit each year)

I just don’t see any way that that could happen re: purgatory. Under the totalitarian dictatorship, sure, and it would’ve happened on purpose, but not now. The Bulls have nowhere to go but up. The NBA doesn’t really work that way anymore, guys are developing faster than ever, at various points throughout their careers, and drafts are less predictable than ever. It isn’t about “hitting” on a draft pick. It’s about building a winning organization, through elite scouting, Fit, coaching, player development, training, personnel, etc. Teams that don’t have those things in place can have all the talent in the world, and it’ll rarely make a difference. The Bulls have literally never had any of that until very recently. Look at Phoenix, Minnesota, NYC, Charlotte, Detroit, the Lakers prior to Jeannie Buss taking over, etc etc etc.

There is no way the Bulls will ever enter any sort of NBA hell or purgatory going forward, those days are over. AKEVSDonovan would never allow that to happen, and there is no reason is would need to happen. A guy isn’t working out? Trade him, move on. Find someone deep in the draft, pluck some guy from the g-league, etc etc etc. AK always finds ways to win, compete, and be competitive. And on top of all of that, PaxGar are gone! They were, quite literally, the two main diseases that were keeping star players from coming to Chicago

Lol bulls fans are still stuck like cement in that PaxGar mindset. “Welp, better hope these draft picks ‘hit’, otherwise we’re screwed; it’s NBA hell from here on out. “Purgatory” isn’t a word used in the new regime’s collective vocabularies. People need to do their homework on Karnisovas’s work history. I’m surprised that everyone hasn’t already

We're used to low expectations.It's natural after another failed rebuilding.
gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#10 » by gobullschi » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:00 pm

SfBull wrote:
gobullschi wrote:

The best we can project for this roster is a first round exit and it would be a huge improvement from now.Besides that no player from this draft seems to have star potential even if we trade up.I believe next season will be one of player development looking for a 7th or 8th playoff spot if we can stay healthy.Most likely we'll end the regular season with 30-35 wins.

The Nets had 35 wins and are at #19 this year. Odds are the 4th pick in this draft is better than the 15-20 pick next year. The weakness of this draft class is getting blown out of proportion.
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#11 » by SfBull » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:05 pm

gobullschi wrote:
SfBull wrote:
gobullschi wrote:

The Nets had 35 wins and are at #19 this year. Odds are the 4th pick in this draft is better than the 15-20 pick next year. The weakness of this draft class is getting blown out of proportion.

Where did you read that?2021 seems to be better than 2020 draft.I know everything is speculation until the real draft anyway.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#12 » by MrFortune3 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:22 pm

SfBull wrote:
gobullschi wrote:
SfBull wrote:The best we can project for this roster is a first round exit and it would be a huge improvement from now.Besides that no player from this draft seems to have star potential even if we trade up.I believe next season will be one of player development looking for a 7th or 8th playoff spot if we can stay healthy.Most likely we'll end the regular season with 30-35 wins.

Where did you read that?2021 seems to be better than 2020 draft.I know everything is speculation until the real draft anyway.

It's because Cunningham, Kuminga, Green, Mobley, Williams are projected at the top prospects.

People forget that McDaniels, Hampton, Anthony, Green, Mannion, Achiuwa were highly ranked for 2020 until they played.
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 586

Post#13 » by Almost Retired » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:30 pm

drosestruts wrote:A couple of things about Deni:

- When playing in specific U-17 or U-19 tournaments he's looked dominant. I think had he played in college and been playing against his peers we'd all be a lot more excited about him.

- As it is, he played in Euroleague, where he didn't necessarily light the world on fire.

- Most successful European NBA players had more individual success in Euroleague then Deni. It's something to note, but not something that immediately suggests to me that he can't be successful as few of them were having said success at Deni's age (Luka being the obvious exception, but comparing anyone to Luka is starting to look unfair).

To share some stats for Deni's U-20 basketball run:

18 points per game, 8.3 RPG, 5.3 APG, 2 SPG, 2.4 BPG. Shot 43% overall and 28% from 3. In the Semi-Finals and Finals matchups vs France and Spain respectively he shot 41% from 3 and 82% from the free-throw line, so it was nice to see him step his game up in the tournament's biggest games. Suggests to me he's a gamer. You want guys that elevate their games in big moments.

Sharing the highlights below of his game vs France. He got to the line a lot in this game by attacking the rim, you also see him compete on defense, which often stereotypes against European players is they're soft on D, not Deni.

Deni moves around on my personal big board between 2-4. At some point I'll have to lock in my thoughts on these prospects, but I'm clearly able to talk myself into Deni being the right move.

This analogy will get me crucified here. But here it goes. Wait for the main point before exploding in laughter. Larry Bird, on tape, was not a tremendous athlete by the way we measure prospects today. He wasn't particularly fast. He had no vertical to brag about. Yes, he was THE elite shooter of his day. But what made him the player he was was ANTICIPATION. He instinctively knew where to be, what the situation called for, and how he could exploit what was in front of him. He saw the game in slow motion, like Wayne Gretzky did in hockey. This clip shows that Deni has the gift of anticipation. His defense in this clip was more impressive than his offense. He was probably the player for Israel that the coaches for France schemed to defend. He was 18 or barely 19 in this game. Playing against guys with more experience. And he stood out, at least to me. We don't need him to score 20. But if he could give us 10, play the kind of defense he displays in this clip, and involves his teammates in the offense he could be just the player we need to make the other 4 better.

I'm not going to join the "blow it up" chorus. I've seen all of the other 4 potential starters look like all-stars at one time or another. Considering what our young guys have had to go through with Boylen and an inadequate development and training staff I agree with AK and the posters on this board who think they need a year under a real coach. Playing up to potential, a lineup of Coby, Zach, Deni, Lauri and Wendell could pose some real problems for teams. That's a dynamic scoring back court. I think you'll see Coby perhaps challenging Zach for the high scorer on the team. He looked dynamic in the scrimmage games. And Zach is one of the best athletes in the league. When he has it going he can score with an effortlessness I rarely see. Lauri and Wendell might both rebound their games under Donovan. Boylen was the worst possible coach for both of them. Donovan could have picked other open jobs. He came on board because he thinks the Bulls have potential. And having just drank the Kool-Aid I think so too.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,380

Post#14 » by drosestruts » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:52 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:The Deni analysis is so strange.

For the most part people are accurately assessing him and describing a late lotto pick for the first 90-95% of their Deni posts.

But then the post somehow ends with "he fluctuates between #2 and #4 on my big board".

I think it's a strange draft man. Are you talking about Deni sounds like a late lotto pick in a typical draft or in this draft?
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#15 » by sco » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:05 pm

Almost Retired wrote:
drosestruts wrote:A couple of things about Deni:

- When playing in specific U-17 or U-19 tournaments he's looked dominant. I think had he played in college and been playing against his peers we'd all be a lot more excited about him.

- As it is, he played in Euroleague, where he didn't necessarily light the world on fire.

- Most successful European NBA players had more individual success in Euroleague then Deni. It's something to note, but not something that immediately suggests to me that he can't be successful as few of them were having said success at Deni's age (Luka being the obvious exception, but comparing anyone to Luka is starting to look unfair).

To share some stats for Deni's U-20 basketball run:

18 points per game, 8.3 RPG, 5.3 APG, 2 SPG, 2.4 BPG. Shot 43% overall and 28% from 3. In the Semi-Finals and Finals matchups vs France and Spain respectively he shot 41% from 3 and 82% from the free-throw line, so it was nice to see him step his game up in the tournament's biggest games. Suggests to me he's a gamer. You want guys that elevate their games in big moments.

Sharing the highlights below of his game vs France. He got to the line a lot in this game by attacking the rim, you also see him compete on defense, which often stereotypes against European players is they're soft on D, not Deni.

Deni moves around on my personal big board between 2-4. At some point I'll have to lock in my thoughts on these prospects, but I'm clearly able to talk myself into Deni being the right move.

This analogy will get me crucified here. But here it goes. Wait for the main point before exploding in laughter. Larry Bird, on tape, was not a tremendous athlete by the way we measure prospects today. He wasn't particularly fast. He had no vertical to brag about. Yes, he was THE elite shooter of his day. But what made him the player he was was ANTICIPATION. He instinctively knew where to be, what the situation called for, and how he could exploit what was in front of him. He saw the game in slow motion, like Wayne Gretzky did in hockey. This clip shows that Deni has the gift of anticipation. His defense in this clip was more impressive than his offense. He was probably the player for Israel that the coaches for France schemed to defend. He was 18 or barely 19 in this game. Playing against guys with more experience. And he stood out, at least to me. We don't need him to score 20. But if he could give us 10, play the kind of defense he displays in this clip, and involves his teammates in the offense he could be just the player we need to make the other 4 better.

I'm not going to join the "blow it up" chorus. I've seen all of the other 4 potential starters look like all-stars at one time or another. Considering what our young guys have had to go through with Boylen and an inadequate development and training staff I agree with AK and the posters on this board who think they need a year under a real coach. Playing up to potential, a lineup of Coby, Zach, Deni, Lauri and Wendell could pose some real problems for teams. That's a dynamic scoring back court. I think you'll see Coby perhaps challenging Zach for the high scorer on the team. He looked dynamic in the scrimmage games. And Zach is one of the best athletes in the league. When he has it going he can score with an effortlessness I rarely see. Lauri and Wendell might both rebound their games under Donovan. Boylen was the worst possible coach for both of them. Donovan could have picked other open jobs. He came on board because he thinks the Bulls have potential. And having just drank the Kool-Aid I think so too.

First of all, it's a shame that we're only coming up with white guy comps for Deni. That said, sure, Deni is the Larry Bird of the Israeli girls league. And there is another Larry Bird of the British league. And there is another Larry Bird of the Thai league. That's why competition matters. Deni was a subpar player in the Euro league, and most of those guys are g-league level. Remember when Felicio was the Shaq of the g-league?
:clap:
tunit213
Senior
And1: 398

Post#16 » by tunit213 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:10 pm

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#17 » by sco » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:12 pm

please save us...but I'm getting a Doug McDermott trade flashback. :banghead:
:clap:
tunit213
Senior
And1: 398

Post#18 » by tunit213 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:15 pm

sco wrote:

please save us...but I'm getting a Doug McDermott trade flashback. :banghead:

Maybe our 4 and Thad Young for 2. Knowing Ball falls to 2 and Deni falls to 4. Warriors are in win now mode. Thad can be a good player for them behind Green or starting next to Green.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#19 » by ZOMG » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:20 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:MPJ is quite a bit taller/longer than Deni. MPJ has a 9' reach and looks gigantic out there which makes me think he may have grown an inch. Meanwhile, Deni has the height/wingspan of a pedestrian wing/forward.

You're seriously suggesting that a 6'10'' guy with a light build who's already had two back surgeries will be playing center in the NBA?
The Chosen one
Freshman
And1: 39

Post#20 » by The Chosen one » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:25 pm

ZOMG wrote:

You're seriously suggesting that a 6'10'' guy with a light build who's already had two back surgeries will be playing center in the NBA?

I have to agree with you. I don’t think Porter is built to play center even though he’s tall. Even though the game is softer today, you still have to have the strength to block out and clean the glass. He would get eaten alive trying to block out guys like Tristian Thompson, Drummond, or even guys like Wendell.

Return to Chicago Bulls