Image ImageImage Image

The Bulls need Chris Paul

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Grodoboldo
Analyst
And1: 2,819

Re: The Bulls need Chris Paul 

Post#101 » by Grodoboldo » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:44 am

JOHN wrote:This is a GarPax move.
Seems logical that the mindset of GarPax has infiltrated the fan trade thought process.

I would expect Everslisovas to focus on the draft and try to ship everyone except White and Lavine.
Take advantage of teams wanting to dump salary and perhaps pay the tax a couple of years.
Yes the Bulls will have to pay to get out of the mess Jerry and GarPax made the past 10 years.

I love seeing old posters back. GarPax's demise is a gift that keeps on giving.
Constantly underwhelmed by the Bulls.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,656

Post#102 » by sco » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:29 pm

Couldn't we just get Rondo for a lot less?

We could probably nab Rubio from AZ.

Heck, I'd take back Derrick Rose before doing this.
:clap:
jmajew
Rookie
And1: 340

Post#103 » by jmajew » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:41 pm

sco wrote:Couldn't we just get Rondo for a lot less?

I would absolutely love Ricky Rubio.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#104 » by ATRAIN53 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:50 pm

I'm surprised so many of you want a 35 year old guy on a max deal on the tail end of his career over our young beautiful rookie who is just dying to break out!

I don't want CP3 screaming at Coby White and mentoring him.
I don't want to be the 2019-20 OKC Bulls.

I want Coby to be the fearless, reckless blur that we saw. This is the type of player you don't over coach. His best skill is getting to the rim faster than anyone else, not out there on the point like CP3 dribbling the ball for 15 seconds.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,903

Post#105 » by TheStig » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:18 pm

sco wrote:Couldn't we just get Rondo for a lot less?

I've been saying that too. Sign Rondo for up the MLE for the year.
TheStig
RealGM

Post#106 » by TheStig » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:26 pm

Seems logical that the mindset of GarPax has infiltrated the fan trade thought process.

I would expect Everslisovas to focus on the draft and try to ship everyone except White and Lavine.
Take advantage of teams wanting to dump salary and perhaps pay the tax a couple of years.
Yes the Bulls will have to pay to get out of the mess Jerry and GarPax made the past 10 years.

I don't think anyone really knows the mandate that AKEV were hired with. How much time do they have? One would hope that they'd be given a fresh slate and not be expected to make the playoffs in a year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some get shipped off for a pick if he has more time. I think the mini camp and film will give them a good picture of the guys talents and who's been working during the time off. It wouldn't surprise me to have someone take one of the young guys for a lotto pick or one of the vets shipped off for a later 1st or even take on someone's salary for another pick. The guy made his rep on drafting in Denver.
TheStig
RealGM

Post#107 » by TheStig » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:29 pm

I think he'll be a Laker unless they find a younger star. He fits well with Bron and the timeline, they are banana boat guys, he's such an upgrade over anything they'd have to deal and with what they ship off, they'll still get to use the full MLE and get ring chasers.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#108 » by kingkirk » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:11 pm

Show me the last time John Paxson traded for an All-NBA player.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,084

Post#109 » by MrSparkle » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:31 pm

Mark K wrote:

Does it have to be a trade? Cause they signed 35yo all-stars in Pau and Wade. And nobody was really happy with the results 1-2 years later.

And All-NBA is a moot point. CP3 made it the past season, but it was his first time since 2016. Also important to note Curry missed the year, Kyrie rested most the year, and there were a few snubs due to bad records (Beal, Booker). With Morant and Trae climbing the ranks, Murray and Mitchell probably being 3rd-team candidates... There is no way CP3 will ever make the All-NBA team again...

Which would make it a 100% Pax-style move, where they take on crucial salary space for a player whose best playing days are long over (Wallace, Boozer, Rip, Pau, Wade). Pau was the only great value signing, and the whole thing still back-fired with a super-disappointing 9th seed in y2.
JOHN
General Manager
And1: 90

Post#110 » by JOHN » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:05 am

Mark K wrote:

He never traded for an All-NBA player.

He did sign though "All NBA" players at the tail end of their careers like
Ben Wallace,Pau Gasol and Dwayne Wade although the teams at the time were in the playoffs not in the lottery.

This is a young team that is not going for a championship anytime soon and should not blow their cap on one of the most expensive players in the league at the age of 35 while letting him skip back to back games(yes I know he had a phenomenal season)

We'll see pretty soon which approach the new Front office will follow.
Remember remember the 1st of April.......
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#111 » by transplant » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:52 pm

Chris Paul is still good. He costs $44mil. Even with Paul, the Bulls won't contend for a title...maybe not even a playoff berth.

I understand that fans don't care about the business end, but given the current economic realities, how on earth can any reasonable person expect the Bulls to invest this kind of money in a player at the end of his career? If I were an investor, I'd be asking how the team can get salaries as close to the team minimum as possible without screwing up the future.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,549

Post#112 » by dice » Sun Nov 1, 2020 1:10 am

Mark K wrote:

how often does an all-nba player get traded? particularly if he's not asking to be (jimmy)
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,452

Post#113 » by LateNight » Sun Nov 1, 2020 1:43 pm

MrSparkle wrote:Does it have to be a trade? Cause they signed 35yo all-stars in Pau and Wade. And nobody was really happy with the results 1-2 years later.

I liked the Pau Gasol signing. He took less money and, while he wasn't great on defense, had some great plays. He got the game-winner for us a couple times. That was not a bad move given the state of the team and the perceived (and later actualized) window.

Having said that - the Pau move was not particularly relevant here. Trading assets to get CP3 is a very different move - not sure I love the idea of giving up future picks to get an aging PG on a bad contract (although CP3 torched us last December).
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,084

Post#114 » by MrSparkle » Sun Nov 1, 2020 6:36 pm

LateNight wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:Does it have to be a trade? Cause they signed 35yo all-stars in Pau and Wade. And nobody was really happy with the results 1-2 years later.

I liked the Pau Gasol signing. He took less money and, while he wasn't great on defense, had some great plays. He got the game-winner for us a couple times. That was not a bad move given the state of the team and the perceived (and later actualized) window.

Having said that - the Pau move was not particularly relevant here. Trading assets to get CP3 is a very different move - not sure I love the idea of giving up future picks to get an aging PG on a bad contract (although CP3 torched us last December).

I liked Pau too. The problem was that he ended up being our 2nd best player, when he was supposed to be our 4th or 5th option.

Similarly, we’re gonna have a problem if CP3 is the 1st or 2nd best player. He’s not gonna shoulder the load well. OKC was heavily loaded with defenders and veterans, so Paul could play the way he liked to play.

Pau would’ve been a success on that 14-16 team if Rose, Niko, Doug, Kirk, and Noah hadn’t become liabilities.

Count your defensive liabilities: Zach, Lauri, Coby (at SG, if played alongside CP3). Your 3 top scorers aren’t stopping a street post. 35yo Paul is gonna lose his voice and give up.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#115 » by ZOMG » Mon Nov 2, 2020 7:19 am

ATRAIN53 wrote:I'm surprised so many of you want a 35 year old guy on a max deal on the tail end of his career over our young beautiful rookie who is just dying to break out!

I don't want CP3 screaming at Coby White and mentoring him.
I don't want to be the 2019-20 OKC Bulls.

I want Coby to be the fearless, reckless blur that we saw. This is the type of player you don't over coach. His best skill is getting to the rim faster than anyone else, not out there on the point like CP3 dribbling the ball for 15 seconds.

Not that I want CP, but Coby and Zach have the same problem - they can get to the rim but they can't finish. Zach can't take contact and Coby doesn't have the vertical or length.

Coby White getting to the rim is certainly not some blueprint for the new Bulls offense. It's much more likely that he becomes a spot-up shooter.
ky_23
Freshman
And1: 104

Post#116 » by ky_23 » Mon Nov 2, 2020 1:06 pm

I like cp3 but he is definitely not our type right now. We have to chase a superstar that can make us contender for like 4-5 years. First we need to create a solid core to play for title. I want like a Toronto-Kawhi type team. If we take cp3 with his huge contract it would be a problem in the long term. We would be a solid playoff team but not more. And don't forget about cp3's mentality. He has a
psychopathic mindset like kobe or mj. He wants to win in any situation and i like it. But sometimes that makes him a guy that hard to get along. We saw that in Clippers and Houston. He did a great job this in OKC this year but after first year Paul always has been a problem inside the team. We can't make a prediction about his effect to Lavine, Coby, Lauri and Wcj. It would be positive. But it would be Butler-Wolves disaster too. This is a risk that we can't take.
Like i said we need solid players to support superstar. Coby, Lauri and Wcj can be those players potentially. And we have 4th pick this year's draft. We have to wait for their improvement and be patient.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,753

Post#117 » by dougthonus » Mon Nov 2, 2020 1:11 pm

transplant wrote:Chris Paul is still good. He costs $44mil. Even with Paul, the Bulls won't contend for a title...maybe not even a playoff berth.

I understand that fans don't care about the business end, but given the current economic realities, how on earth can any reasonable person expect the Bulls to invest this kind of money in a player at the end of his career? If I were an investor, I'd be asking how the team can get salaries as close to the team minimum as possible without screwing up the future.

I think the "investment of money" is kind of a misnomer here. They'd end up trading about 40M in contracts to take back Chris Paul's 40m this year, and next year they would forgo signing 40M in players to keep his 40M on the books (and those deals they'd sign next year would go out into future years and actually be more).

Another way to look at it, is the Bulls salary is going to be ~109M regardless. Is the team better with Chris Paul for 2 years or with the guys we would have if we don't trade for him. The total money investment in salary is likely the same. It's really about which team performs better and how you value performance in the next 2 years (probably better with Paul) vs performance in year 3+ (probably better without him) and whether Paul's addition can develop players to raise their permanent value or just pumps up their stats slightly.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
sco
RealGM

Post#118 » by sco » Mon Nov 2, 2020 1:17 pm

I don't get how this thread is still going?

CP3 is:
- old, likely to break down during each of the next two seasons,
- comes with a very high opportunity cost to pursue better (and younger) FA's this/next year
- isn't a #1 option to get this team to the next level
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,903

Post#119 » by weneeda2guard » Mon Nov 2, 2020 3:18 pm

Cp3 would run the offense well but imo the time to get him was last season. We missed the window because we could have flipped him to lets say the lakers for assets

I think the best course for us to have some kind of hope at title contending sooner than years from now, is to try and compile a great low seed playoff team this year while not killing the cap space unless you somehow trade for a star worth compromising the cap space. Cp3 is not worth that. Mainly because at his age your not going to convince a star to come here and join him. But you get in as a low seed make a great showing maybe even win a round then go into next off season with a good team, lavine coby Carter jr gafford and whoever we take in the draft this year as your young core (lauri is out of this equation as matching a offer on him compromises our cap space) and room for 2 max players to come here and join forces with our role players already in place and lavine and coby and whoever we take 4th ready to be the 3rd 4th etc options. That's how Brooklyn and the clippers did it. That's a better plan imo than brining in cp3 to get decent results but no long term outlook.
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
sco
RealGM

Post#120 » by sco » Mon Nov 2, 2020 10:25 pm

Go Knicks!

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2020/11/2/21544551/report-theres-a-trade-package-already-on-the-table-for-chris-paul

With that in mind, Jonathan Macri once again updated us on the omnipresent Chris Paul trade rumors in his newsletter. (NOTE: Macri is going to start charging soon, and I feel obliged to pay, because he’s become one of the best in the game at disseminating Knicks news.)

I’ve been told by a league source that Chris Paul prefers his next basketball home to be either in LA or NY (Los Angeles is where he resides full time) and that has created some modicum of leverage in the ongoing negotiations between the sides. I’m also told that there is a deal on the table that is comfortable from Sam Presti’s perspective, and the ball is in Leon Rose’s court.

Return to Chicago Bulls