Image ImageImage Image

The Chicago Bulls select forward Patrick Williams #4 overall.

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Re: The Chicago Bulls select forward Patrick Williams #4 overall. 

Post#1041 » by Ccwatercraft » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:16 am

JohnnyKILLroy wrote:
coldfish wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
If you are saying that edited instagram footage of a scrimmage has real meaning then I don't know what to say, difference of opinion there between us.

Agree and believe he was their guy. Disappointed the same way you would be if we took Bey at 4 or whatever.

Forgive me for repeating myself.

When I heard he might be the guy, I did what most fans do. Looked at his youtube highlights. I then actually watched a good bit of a full game and some condensed games. What I saw was stunningly bad. His youtube highlights were a bunch of help side blocks and open dunks that countless high schoolers could do. His mix tapes are some of the worst you will find. In game, he looks slow and stiff. His jump shot looks slow and has a hitch that makes it look like its easy to contest. You see virtually no offensive aggression or ball handling. Watching a non edited game has him disappearing for long stretches.

That instagram video is weird. He showed like, none of that in college. His jumper even looks different and quicker. Most fans tend to forget that even the worst NBA player is fantastic at playing basketball so they should all look good in a random gym but if you saw a gym video of Shaq taking step back pull up 3's, it would be hard to process.

I still don't have a good feeling about PW. That said, the instagram video actually gave me a sliver of hope that he was fantastically misused in FSU.

I see it more of a testament to his work ethic to have gotten so much better post FSU.

Fish, where did you find complete games on the net? i have a few days off coming up including a couple of long flights and might find that interesting.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,376

Post#1042 » by DuckIII » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:18 am

cjbulls wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
Wingy wrote:
You fail to separate two things that are clearly separate.

1. Yes, you’re entitled to your opinion.
2. AK doesn’t care about your opinion.

He didn’t see all these other “better” options because he’s not you. He chose the best option in his mind. Your whole posts assume he sees it like you do. He doesn’t.

And he’s operating with about 100x the information as the rest of us. And I say this as someone who is closer to cjbulls view of the pick than someone who is excited about it.

Yet you were quite comfortable expressing displeasure with Mr. White last year. Why am I not allowed to express the same and discuss the other options?

I was pretty comfortable expressing my displeasure with the Williams pick this year too. I never said fans shouldn’t express opinions. But when you or I do so, particularly with draft picks, we should be patient and understand that the GM sees the whole room. We’re limited to what we see through the keyhole.

Doesn’t mean we’re wrong. Also, even though I was strongly opposed to the White pick going in, I’m pretty sure afterwards I still said I’d be patient and then I was one of the few fans who was actually encouraged by summer league.

Nothing wrong with hating a pick. But our hatred or love is always based on information far inferior to that possessed by the decision makers.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,150

Post#1043 » by SHO'NUFF » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:21 am

DuckIII wrote:
Wingy wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
Why is his so hard to understand, their guy wasn’t worth it to me. What is this weird mentality why we can’t question the choice. I gave them leeway over a number of options, but they dipped so low that I no longer agree with the value.

People hated Deni. People hated Ball. People hated Okoro. So are they not allowed to be disappointed if AK took them?

Or does the “he’s our guy” blessing have to be accepted with a smile for all fans.

He didn’t see all these other “better” options because he’s not you. He chose the best option in his mind. Your whole posts assume he sees it like you do. He doesn’t.

And he’s operating with about 100x the information as the rest of us. And I say this as someone who is closer to cjbulls view of the pick than someone who is excited about it.

To be fair all GMs have 100x the information we do but many still make poor choices, even when it’s obvious to most. Otherwise, all top picks would be great. Just because a GM has his opinion and has 100x the info we have....there’s still a good chance the average fans evaluation could be better. We’ve seen it happen just as many times as they’ve been wrong & the GM right.

Most people, from fans to NBA commentators, saw this pick as a reach @ #4 & some saw it as a good pick.

With a player like Pat Williams .... who’s not a “big name” ...AK doesn’t even know if he’ll live up to his #4 pick. He’s hoping he will just like the rest of us, but he’s not going to come out & say it.

AK hasn’t done anything yet to earn our full trust (in drafting). Fans have every right to question this pick. This is a start & remains to be seen if he’s made the right choice.
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,952

Post#1044 » by Chi town » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:22 am

DuckIII wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Yet you were quite comfortable expressing displeasure with Mr. White last year. Why am I not allowed to express the same and discuss the other options?

I was pretty comfortable expressing my displeasure with the Williams pick this year too. I never said fans shouldn’t express opinions. But when you or I do so, particularly with draft picks, we should be patient and understand that the GM sees the whole room. We’re limited to what we see through the keyhole.

Doesn’t mean we’re wrong. Also, even though I was strongly opposed to the White pick going in, I’m pretty sure afterwards I still said I’d be patient and then I was one of the few fans who was actually encouraged by summer league.

Nothing wrong with hating a pick. But our hatred or love is always based on information far inferior to that possessed by the decision makers.

But we are fans. Not GM’s. We know everything :)

Well said. We don’t really know much at all of what really goes on.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,376

Post#1045 » by DuckIII » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:28 am

SHO'NUFF wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
Wingy wrote:

To be fair all GMs have 100x the information we do but many still make poor choices, even when it’s obvious to most. Otherwise, all top picks would be great. Just because a GM has his opinion and has 100x the info we have....there’s still a good chance the average fans evaluation could be better. We’ve seen it happen just as many times as they’ve been wrong & the GM right.

Most people, from fans to NBA commentators, saw this pick as a reach @ #4 & some saw it as a good pick.

With a player like Pat Williams .... who’s not a “big name” ...AK doesn’t even know if he’ll live up to his #4 pick. He’s hoping he will just like the rest of us, but he’s not going to come out & say it.

AK hasn’t done anything yet to earn our full trust (in drafting). Fans have every right to question this pick. This is a start & remains to be seen if he’s made the right choice.

I agree 100% with everything you wrote.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#1046 » by Ccwatercraft » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:31 am

DuckIII wrote:
Ccwatercraft wrote:Can someone explain to me like I'm five why we're not using opj as a comparison to Williams?

I've only seen the YouTube clips of William's granted but on the surface they seem to be comparable, position, size, weight, basic skillsets. Obviously opj is more advanced in his career, but not 1 person has mentioned him as a comparison so I must be missing something obvious.

What am I not picking up on?

OPJ is a much better shooter and PW is more of a bruising hybrid. OPJ is closer to a prototype 3.

Ok fair enough, but stats seem to indicate that porter wasn't lights out in college or his first couple years in Washington either. I never watched him much in wash because I didnt follow the team so I'm just going off numbers.
cjbulls
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#1047 » by cjbulls » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:32 am

DuckIII wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

But I have repeatedly said here I like the player and I like the future core of Coby/Williams/WCJ. I just don’t like the use of a top pick for it. Upside isn’t there in comparison to other options
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,025

Post#1048 » by coldfish » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:32 am

Ccwatercraft wrote:
JohnnyKILLroy wrote:
coldfish wrote:
Forgive me for repeating myself.

When I heard he might be the guy, I did what most fans do. Looked at his youtube highlights. I then actually watched a good bit of a full game and some condensed games. What I saw was stunningly bad. His youtube highlights were a bunch of help side blocks and open dunks that countless high schoolers could do. His mix tapes are some of the worst you will find. In game, he looks slow and stiff. His jump shot looks slow and has a hitch that makes it look like its easy to contest. You see virtually no offensive aggression or ball handling. Watching a non edited game has him disappearing for long stretches.

That instagram video is weird. He showed like, none of that in college. His jumper even looks different and quicker. Most fans tend to forget that even the worst NBA player is fantastic at playing basketball so they should all look good in a random gym but if you saw a gym video of Shaq taking step back pull up 3's, it would be hard to process.

I still don't have a good feeling about PW. That said, the instagram video actually gave me a sliver of hope that he was fantastically misused in FSU.

I see it more of a testament to his work ethic to have gotten so much better post FSU.

Fish, where did you find complete games on the net? i have a few days off coming up including a couple of long flights and might find that interesting.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=florida+state+basketball+full+game

Take your pick.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,059

Post#1049 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:33 am

SHO'NUFF wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
Wingy wrote:

Yes lets stop putting these guys on a pedestal.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,536

Post#1050 » by PaKii94 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:40 am

cjbulls wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
The gap between between Williams and Bey/Green isn’t big. Certainly worth getting the #7 pick as well for your choice of Hayes/Deni/Toppin/Hali

That is your opinion. It's pretty clear that isn't how AK viewed the rankings. If the guy was cassius and they got him at 4, I'd have exactly the same reaction. It wasn't my guy but it clearly was there's. This is AKs game, let's see how he plays it.

If you go back to my posts before the draft, I also was advocating trading down, but if that wasn't to happen, I wanted them to get the person they thought was the best at that pick. It's obvious PWill is who they thought was best at the pick. It is what it is. You can criticize the value and the selection in general, that's what this board is here for. But the argument you are making doesn't make sense when you take AK's viewpoint into consideration.

You are another member of the blind loyalty club. That’s fine, I’m not there.

C'mon man you're better than this. Get out of the bullsh*t ESPN trade machine mindset.

I'll make it as simple as possible for you. Leave the name out of it. You are a GM. You have a player you assess is the one you want and are targeting him. Obviously you want to trade down and get as many pieces as possible but you still want your guy.

Teams at 5 & 6 aren't interested in trading up. There is a team at 7 who also wants your guy and was trying to get up to 3. So obviously you can't trade down to 8 or lower and take him.

That's the situation. How do you get your guy? Go.

The only way I see it is you stay at 4 and draft your guy.

In this case it happened to be PWill but it could be any other player. The name doesn't matter.

That's why I'm defending the selection at 4. I'm not saying it's the right selection. I'm saying it was the right move to get their guy.

Now as a bulls fan I reserve my right to hold judgement until we see him play. That's what I'll judge AK on. He went all in on PWill. Was it the right call? We'll see. If you want to be preemptive about it go ahead. It's your right. Lambast the pick. Idrc. Just the way it came about to get their guy was the right call
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,297

Post#1051 » by Leslie Forman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:05 am

This is basically the Westbrook pick. But also basically the Darko pick. Whatever it is, I am glad it wasn't some conventional ass consensus pick and that these guys aren't just gonna take the safe route.

cjbulls wrote:You are another member of the blind loyalty club. That’s fine, I’m not there.

This is real rich coming from the guy who only gets his player evaluations from blog bois on the internet who get paid from people clicking on ads for MeUndies, rather than people who have been getting paid actual money to evaluate players for years by actual NBA franchises.
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#1052 » by PaKii94 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:09 am

Leslie Forman wrote:This is basically the Westbrook pick. But also basically the Darko pick. Whatever it is, I am glad it wasn't some conventional ass consensus pick and that these guys aren't just gonna take the safe route.

cjbulls wrote:You are another member of the blind loyalty club. That’s fine, I’m not there.

This is real rich coming from the guy who only gets his player evaluations from blog bois on the internet who get paid from people clicking on ads for MeUndies, rather than people who have been getting paid actual money to evaluate players for years by actual NBA franchises.

Yeah I'm glad they didn't settle for the "safe" deni pick.

Also you didn't have to do him like that. :lol:
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,894

Post#1053 » by RSP83 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:09 am

cjbulls wrote:
Wingy wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
Because at best he's no better than the others, and they pick up a second pick. I get that you're saying he's their guy. The whole point is to say they had many other options that were all better than reaching for this guy. If Chicago's guy was actually Cassius Winston, and Detroit wanted him at 7, would you be ok with them staying there instead of the same deal, or would you question their decision making? I am just questioning the value at 4 with so many other options on the table.

You clearly don’t get it despite stating you do. If you understood he was their guy, then the “so many other options” were in fact inferior in their minds. Why would they go with what they view as inferior options?

Why is his so hard to understand, their guy wasn’t worth it to me. What is this weird mentality why we can’t question the choice. I gave them leeway over a number of options, but they dipped so low that I no longer agree with the value.

People hated Deni. People hated Ball. People hated Okoro. So are they not allowed to be disappointed if AK took them?

Or does the “he’s our guy” blessing have to be accepted with a smile for all fans.

I understand your point. I would agree with you if draft success is measured through how much value we can maximize with the assets that we initially have at that point. So the 5 scenarios you mentioned earlier makes sense. So if we go by that measurement, I agree this pick is looking like a reach and if Bulls receive draft pick grade C, that makes sense as well considering the scenarios you mentioned. Especially in this weak draft supposedly going down from 4 to get 7+15 is the perfect situation to get more value, quantity over quality when the quality you give up is almost miniscule.

My thing is I never really care about early season draft day grades. Because they don't necessarily reflect long term impact of that pick. Hence why I usually don't dwell too long in this early season draft pick discussion to discuss whether the pick was right or wrong. Because if Pat does pan out, we will look back at this draft and call AK genius. and if Pat doesn't pan out, you're right. What I'm saying, there's no point for me debating your stance now.

The takeaway from this draft and AKs interview:
1. If we were to pick 1-3 we don't know who AK was going to pick. But at 4, AK thinks Pat is BPA.
2. We did hear that Bulls try to trade up to 2, but we don't know if Bulls also explore trade down possibilities. We didn't hear Bulls try to trade the pick for established players either. So the only thing I can think of is that AK believes his top 4 prospects are worth holding on to. And he thinks at 4, quality is still worth over quantity option (swap pick 4 for 2 first round picks). We'll see over time whether he's right or wrong.
PhilLeotardo
Junior
And1: 220

Post#1054 » by PhilLeotardo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:09 am

The disrespect for Cobe White on this board is weird & comical

Are people on here merely setting themselves up for failure, per usual?

There’s really no need for that, guys
Shill
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Post#1055 » by Shill » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:11 am

cjbulls wrote:
Shill wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
So you think they wanted to trade with Charlotte for 3 but wouldn’t offer the exact same terms for Chicago at 4? If they get him at 4 they get to pay him even less $, there is no downside.

I never said mine was the definitive ranking. We all agreed before the draft that all these guys were ranked similarly. We all agreed before the draft (pre-rumors) Patrick wasn’t worthy of 4. But now that it happened, people are bending over backwards to hype this guy up. It’s fine, but I can be disappointed.

There were people ready to throw a fit if we took Deni. A few people said they would stop being Bulls fans if they took Ball. But for some reason me not enthusiastically jumping on board with this decision is not allowed. There were many better options, something like 5-10 when you factor in trades. With that said, I like the kid and want him to do well. I just don’t see any star potential outside of the Butler miracle scenario (unlike true raw prospects like a Poku). There were other guys with better star chances, including at 7.

People are now working with new information.

We hadn’t seen these videos of Williams cooking NBA players with a full arsenal of moves.

Also, a lot of people, myself included, are giving AK the benefit of the doubt.

He seemed pretty emphatic that this was the guy, and his track record in Denver obviously gives him credibility.

I thought this was an incredibly weak draft, so I wasn’t enthused about anybody at 4.

But Williams is growing on me now that I’ve started to research him.

If you are saying that edited instagram footage of a scrimmage has real meaning then I don't know what to say, difference of opinion there between us.

Agree and believe he was their guy. Disappointed the same way you would be if we took Bey at 4 or whatever.

Considering he just went 4th, the edited scrimmage footage is probably closer to what AK thinks he can do than an incomplete season at FSU where he was a role player.

We’ll just have to revisit in a few years.
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,297

Post#1056 » by Leslie Forman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:48 am

PaKii94 wrote:Yeah I'm glad they didn't settle for the "safe" deni pick.

Dare I say it, if MyHusbandPax were still here, they absolutely would have picked Deni.

And everyone here would be calling that uninspired, low ceiling pick "a great move, A+ draft, Classic Pax is back!!!"
cjbulls
Analyst

Post#1057 » by cjbulls » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:48 am

PaKii94 wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:

That is your opinion. It's pretty clear that isn't how AK viewed the rankings. If the guy was cassius and they got him at 4, I'd have exactly the same reaction. It wasn't my guy but it clearly was there's. This is AKs game, let's see how he plays it.

If you go back to my posts before the draft, I also was advocating trading down, but if that wasn't to happen, I wanted them to get the person they thought was the best at that pick. It's obvious PWill is who they thought was best at the pick. It is what it is. You can criticize the value and the selection in general, that's what this board is here for. But the argument you are making doesn't make sense when you take AK's viewpoint into consideration.

C'mon man you're better than this. Get out of the bullsh*t ESPN trade machine mindset.

I'll make it as simple as possible for you. Leave the name out of it. You are a GM. You have a player you assess is the one you want and are targeting him. Obviously you want to trade down and get as many pieces as possible but you still want your guy.

Teams at 5 & 6 aren't interested in trading up. There is a team at 7 who also wants your guy and was trying to get up to 3. So obviously you can't trade down to 8 or lower and take him.

In this case it happened to be PWill but it could be any other player. The name doesn't matter.

That's why I'm defending the selection at 4. I'm not saying it's the right selection. I'm saying it was the right move to get their guy.

Now as a bulls fan I reserve my right to hold judgement until we see him play. That's what I'll judge AK on. He went all in on PWill. Was it the right call? We'll see. If you want to be preemptive about it go ahead. It's your right. Lambast the pick. Idrc. Just the way it came about to get their guy was the right call

But every pick is the team getting their guy, so should we not evaluate the picks at all? The T'Wolves, Warriors, Hornets, Cavs, Hawks, Pistons, Knicks on down the line all got their guy.
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#1058 » by PaKii94 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:50 am

cjbulls wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
cjbulls wrote:

But every pick is the team getting their guy, so should we not evaluate the picks at all? The T'Wolves, Warriors, Hornets, Cavs, Hawks, Pistons, Knicks on down the line all got their guy.

You know that how? At least pistons didn't get their guy cause AK drafted him. Anyway answer my question. How do you get your guy in that scenario? (Doesn't matter who it is deni/hayes/Hali).
cjbulls
Analyst

Post#1059 » by cjbulls » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:55 am

Leslie Forman wrote:This is basically the Westbrook pick. But also basically the Darko pick. Whatever it is, I am glad it wasn't some conventional ass consensus pick and that these guys aren't just gonna take the safe route.

Yeah, conventional ass consensus picks. Luol Deng. Derrick Rose. Joakim Noah. Horrible.

If only Minnesota had taken Poku #1, I bet you would have been supportive of them and not ripping them.

I'd rather read professional opinions, watch videos and use as much info as possible to evaluate. But you just want to listen to what AK says for the media. Yet I'm the sucker.
cjbulls
Analyst

Post#1060 » by cjbulls » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:56 am

PaKii94 wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:

You know that how? At least pistons didn't get their guy cause AK drafted him. Anyway answer my question. How do you get your guy in that scenario? (Doesn't matter who it is deni/hayes/Hali).

He wasn't their guy. We "got our guy" is what every team says. Do you not see they would have taken Edwards, Wiseman and Ball ahead of him? They were in discussions to trade up.

So they literally did the opposite of what you wanted them to do. They found their guy (any of the big 3, presumably Wiseman) but didn't go and get him.

Return to Chicago Bulls