Image ImageImage Image

Bulls draft Marko Simonovic at #44

Moderators: HomoSapien, fleet, RedBulls23, Ice Man, AshyLarrysDiaper, Tommy Udo 6 , GimmeDat, dougthonus, Payt10, DASMACKDOWN, kulaz3000

Peelboy
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,914
And1: 939
Joined: Jun 23, 2007

Re: Bulls draft Marko Simonovic at #44 

Post#81 » by Peelboy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:21 pm

Mbrahv0528 wrote:
Peelboy wrote:Meh. Given the Bulls current state, I would have preferred to get a high-potential developmental guy to stash in the G-League. Someone like a Bol Bol. This guy seems like a Kornet at best, and I have my doubts about whether he ever even comes over. Might as well have sold the pick or traded for a future pick.....

Saving grace: FA pickup of Devon Dotson. In my mind, I'm flipping them to draft Dotson #44 and pick up Simonovic in FA. That feels a lot better.
Seems like Kornet because he's Caucasian? Oh boy.

Sent from my SM-F707U using RealGM mobile app

Not sure where you get that from.....
Skinny big whose primary skill is an outside shot but gets pushed around down low and doesn’t have a ton of foot speed? Who’s 21 so not the same upside as an 18-19 year old euro, meaning leaps and bounds of improvement are less likely? Who cares what color he is, he seems like a reserve big with a shot at best (aka Kornet) and for a team lacking upper end talent, this guy doesn’t really even give you an outside shot at becoming anything more.
sco
RealGM
Posts: 15,563
And1: 4,114
Joined: Sep 22, 2003
Location: Virtually Everywhere!

Re: Bulls draft Marko Simonovic at #44 

Post#82 » by sco » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:28 pm

Look, 2nd rounders are a crap shoot. Maybe one a year becomes a starting nba talent and one out of 100 becomes an allstar talent. But it's fun to watch and hope.
:clap:
User avatar
TheFinishSniper
Analyst
Posts: 3,207
And1: 2,516
Joined: Feb 02, 2018
Location: Earth
   

Re: Bulls draft Marko Simonovic at #44 

Post#83 » by TheFinishSniper » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:14 pm

So we know Marko only stayed in draft because he got promise he is gonna be drafted. Let's not forget Bulls hired couple of months ago new international scout from Slovenia. And Marko did play for Slovenian club, but is now on loan. We didnt pick just some guy just wasting our pick. And also I wonder on how many lists this guy was on their radar at all.

I am not saying he will be good or anything but Bulls likely did their dilligence. And AK made another decision where he completely trust his newly hired development and scouting staff.
“If you were grading rebuilds and dropped in on the United Center on Wednesday night, you saw one team flying up the court, launching 3-pointers, sharing the ball and generally looking like it was having a lot of fun. And then you saw the Bulls.”
MrSparkle
RealGM
Posts: 16,382
And1: 5,869
Joined: Jul 31, 2003
Location: chicago

Re: Bulls draft Marko Simonovic at #44 

Post#84 » by MrSparkle » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:26 pm

I like his rebounding, catching and finishing. Looks very solid. His tips are what’s missing in Lauri’s game, who seems to have little-to-no feel around the rim. If he can gain 10-20 lb. in the next 2 years, we’ve got a $1m replacement and improvement over Lauri/Kornet.
ZOMG
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,983
And1: 2,307
Joined: Dec 31, 2013

Re: Bulls draft Marko Simonovic at #44 

Post#85 » by ZOMG » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:16 pm

MrSparkle wrote:I like his rebounding, catching and finishing. Looks very solid. His tips are what’s missing in Lauri’s game, who seems to have little-to-no feel around the rim. If he can gain 10-20 lb. in the next 2 years, we’ve got a $1m replacement and improvement over Lauri/Kornet.


Did you actually watch the video..?? The guy is a 7 footer who kept missing all kinds of bunnies at point blank range. FFS.

He has one skill that MAY be elite, and that's 3pt shooting.
Current status: ACTIVE
Former status: BANNED FOR DERAILING DISCUSSION
MrSparkle
RealGM
Posts: 16,382
And1: 5,869
Joined: Jul 31, 2003
Location: chicago

Re: Bulls draft Marko Simonovic at #44 

Post#86 » by MrSparkle » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:20 pm

ZOMG wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:I like his rebounding, catching and finishing. Looks very solid. His tips are what’s missing in Lauri’s game, who seems to have little-to-no feel around the rim. If he can gain 10-20 lb. in the next 2 years, we’ve got a $1m replacement and improvement over Lauri/Kornet.


Did you actually watch the video..?? The guy is a 7 footer who kept missing all kinds of bunnies at point blank range. FFS.

He has one skill that MAY be elite, and that's 3pt shooting.


Yeah watch from 4:07 on. He actually has the will-power and arm-length to offensive rebound and tip. Lauri is allergic to the glass and put-back.

I wouldn’t really worry about his (lack of) post-up scoring ability if he could tip around the rim.
User avatar
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 48,229
And1: 8,156
Joined: Dec 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: Bulls draft Marko Simonovic at #44 

Post#87 » by dougthonus » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:56 pm

Peelboy wrote:Not sure where you get that from.....
Skinny big whose primary skill is an outside shot but gets pushed around down low and doesn’t have a ton of foot speed? Who’s 21 so not the same upside as an 18-19 year old euro, meaning leaps and bounds of improvement are less likely? Who cares what color he is, he seems like a reserve big with a shot at best (aka Kornet) and for a team lacking upper end talent, this guy doesn’t really even give you an outside shot at becoming anything more.


Not suggesting he's going to be a piece going forward, probably a guy we never see, but he seems to have some playmaking ability and ball handling ability relative to Kornet while not adding the shot blocking dimension that Kornet does.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
User avatar
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 48,229
And1: 8,156
Joined: Dec 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: Bulls draft Marko Simonovic at #44 

Post#88 » by dougthonus » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:58 pm

sco wrote:Look, 2nd rounders are a crap shoot. Maybe one a year becomes a starting nba talent and one out of 100 becomes an allstar talent. But it's fun to watch and hope.


2nd rounders at 44 or later are a mega crap shoot. There are a lot of good second rounders but they're almost always in the 31-40 range and trending to the 31-35 range.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
User avatar
MrFortune3
Head Coach
Posts: 7,065
And1: 2,377
Joined: Jul 03, 2010
         

Re: Bulls draft Marko Simonovic at #44 

Post#89 » by MrFortune3 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:59 pm

dougthonus wrote:
sco wrote:Look, 2nd rounders are a crap shoot. Maybe one a year becomes a starting nba talent and one out of 100 becomes an allstar talent. But it's fun to watch and hope.


2nd rounders at 44 or later are a mega crap shoot. There are a lot of good second rounders but they're almost always in the 31-40 range and trending to the 31-35 range.


Very true. That is why development is so important. You have to establish your program and you have to have guys that fit.
User avatar
TheFinishSniper
Analyst
Posts: 3,207
And1: 2,516
Joined: Feb 02, 2018
Location: Earth
   

Re: Bulls draft Marko Simonovic at #44 

Post#90 » by TheFinishSniper » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:07 pm

In NBA overall teams put shackles on bigs on what they can do or cannot do. They really aint letting them develop same way as guards or wings by putting ball in their hands to make plays, learn from mistakes etc. It's bit discriminating when you think about it. Ofcourse majority of bigs cannot to that. But overall they are put in this box from which is hard to break free. That's why you have bigs wanting play on perimeter and just shoot basketball, stretch the floor. But little things count most like tip in, crashing glass, good offensive positioning for rebounds etc. It can make difference between being good and being bad.

It's bit sad. This post has not much with Marko. But it will be good for him to stay extra year or extra 2 in Europe. He needs to come with specific skillset and show he is much more than floor spacer. If he gonna be good NBA player.

I saw one of videos where "his weakness was he aint letting ball when rim rolling for easy assist in corner". And it's not like he hold it forever and lost it. He was still fouled on those plays. Say what you wanna say but guy despite being bit skinny was willing go toe to toe and finish through contact and make play for himself. When you are big at almost 7 foot that's EASY one and done if he was bit stronger. It's bull***. Yes he could have gone for assist and make team play. But you like fire because at NBA level most of time you will be forced to make a play instead just pass the ball which can easily be at higher level deflected or anticipated. After you prove you are scoring threat and you start requiring more attention, even possible double team then pass the f ball in corner because a option.

That's biggest issue with Lauri that he is so much willing to pass ball and make right play (pass the ball even though there is only one guy on roster capable and worthy of passing Lavine). Even though he should be one forcing defense to collapse and make them dance by what he is gonna do that there was absolutely no difference between him or Kornet on the floor. basically exact image of same scrub just made in two. and you dont know who is copy of who.
“If you were grading rebuilds and dropped in on the United Center on Wednesday night, you saw one team flying up the court, launching 3-pointers, sharing the ball and generally looking like it was having a lot of fun. And then you saw the Bulls.”
User avatar
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
Posts: 10,616
And1: 10,223
Joined: Nov 02, 2013
 

Re: Bulls draft Marko Simonovic at #44 

Post#91 » by Repeat 3-peat » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:51 pm

Read on Twitter
MrSparkle
RealGM
Posts: 16,382
And1: 5,869
Joined: Jul 31, 2003
Location: chicago

Re: Bulls draft Marko Simonovic at #44 

Post#92 » by MrSparkle » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:31 pm

Repeat 3-peat wrote:
Read on Twitter


Mr.Sparkle approves.
User avatar
Dominater
RealGM
Posts: 15,090
And1: 21,816
Joined: Jan 16, 2005
Location: NBA Hell

Re: Bulls draft Marko Simonovic at #44 

Post#93 » by Dominater » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:06 pm

dougthonus wrote:
sco wrote:Look, 2nd rounders are a crap shoot. Maybe one a year becomes a starting nba talent and one out of 100 becomes an allstar talent. But it's fun to watch and hope.


2nd rounders at 44 or later are a mega crap shoot. There are a lot of good second rounders but they're almost always in the 31-40 range and trending to the 31-35 range.

You are correct. Cash Considerations was #38 and that's an all-time great Chicago Bull!
Didn't like the Coby White pick. Preferred Rui. Now go out and make me look stupid Coby!
ZOMG
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,983
And1: 2,307
Joined: Dec 31, 2013

Re: Bulls draft Marko Simonovic at #44 

Post#94 » by ZOMG » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:45 pm

MrSparkle wrote:
Repeat 3-peat wrote:
Read on Twitter


Mr.Sparkle approves.


OK, have we had enough crap league "highlights" for now? Let's see him try that in the NBA...

Current status: ACTIVE
Former status: BANNED FOR DERAILING DISCUSSION
MrSparkle
RealGM
Posts: 16,382
And1: 5,869
Joined: Jul 31, 2003
Location: chicago

Re: Bulls draft Marko Simonovic at #44 

Post#95 » by MrSparkle » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:01 am

ZOMG wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:
Repeat 3-peat wrote:
Read on Twitter


Mr.Sparkle approves.


OK, have we had enough crap league "highlights" for now? Let's see him try that in the NBA...



Are you upset about this 44th pick?
StunnerKO
Analyst
Posts: 3,081
And1: 2,017
Joined: Sep 25, 2017

Re: Bulls draft Marko Simonovic at #44 

Post#96 » by StunnerKO » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:24 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Return to Chicago Bulls