Image ImageImage Image

True Story Re: Devon Dotson and Coby White

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

skiz2
Bench Warmer
And1: 184

True Story Re: Devon Dotson and Coby White 

Post#1 » by skiz2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:52 pm

Hello, if you remember me I am the UNC homer that gave the scouting report about Coby White when he got drafted last year. Just wanted to share with you all a cool/funny story about Dotson and Coby White.

Devon Dotson (a NC product) was actually Roy Williams' number 1 priority at PG and Roy went all in on Dotson for months before he offered Coby. A lot of locals (myself included) thought it was a no brainer at the time. Dotson was ranked in the lower teens and White was around number 75 at the time. After sitting on the offer for about 6 months, Roy Williams offered Coby White a scholarship. Coby took all of about two or three days and accepted the offer, which meant UNC would move on from Dotson. At the time there was a debate about whether Coby could play PG full time in college.

After Coby committed Dotson tweeted something to the effect of: "Everyone thinks they are a PG". He and Coby went back and forth a bit on twitter about it talking trash. They later made up and played together in a tourney for CP3's AAU team and took a picture to show there wasn't any bad blood between them anymore.

Some UNC fans still wanted Dotson so they could share the backcourt together. I am happy for Devon and excited at the possibility that down the line they might be on the floor together. I think Chicago got a bit of a steal in him.

Cheers!
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,452

Re: True Story Re: Devon Dotson and Coby White 

Post#2 » by samwana » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:51 pm

skiz2 wrote:Hello, if you remember me I am the UNC homer that gave the scouting report about Coby White when he got drafted last year. Just wanted to share with you all a cool/funny story about Dotson and Coby White.

Devon Dotson (a NC product) was actually Roy Williams' number 1 priority at PG and Roy went all in on Dotson for months before he offered Coby. A lot of locals (myself included) thought it was a no brainer at the time. Dotson was ranked in the lower teens and White was around number 75 at the time. After sitting on the offer for about 6 months, Roy Williams offered Coby White a scholarship. Coby took all of about two or three days and accepted the offer, which meant UNC would move on from Dotson. At the time there was a debate about whether Coby could play PG full time in college.

After Coby committed Dotson tweeted something to the effect of: "Everyone thinks they are a PG". He and Coby went back and forth a bit on twitter about it talking trash. They later made up and played together in a tourney for CP3's AAU team and took a picture to show there wasn't any bad blood between them anymore.

Some UNC fans still wanted Dotson so they could share the backcourt together. I am happy for Devon and excited at the possibility that down the line they might be on the floor together. I think Chicago got a bit of a steal in him.

Cheers!
Thanks for the story, much appreciated!

Sent from my POT-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,357

Post#3 » by DASMACKDOWN » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:12 pm

Thanks for sharing skiz2!
The Cult of Personality
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#4 » by ZOMG » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:18 pm

Forget about them "making up". You know this guy will be gunning for Coby's spot now, which is fantastic.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#5 » by TheFinishSniper » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:48 pm

ZOMG wrote:Forget about them "making up". You know this guy will be gunning for Coby's spot now, which is fantastic.

And Coby is gonna need go Kobe to show him where he belongs. Ofcourse all in friendliness. Because that's what this league has become. We are all friends and we are one big happy family.
Southpaw
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#6 » by Southpaw » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:46 am

skiz2 wrote:Hello, if you remember me I am the UNC homer that gave the scouting report about Coby White when he got drafted last year. Just wanted to share with you all a cool/funny story about Dotson and Coby White.

Cheers!

Cool story! Now they'll be competing for the same position.
OnlyTheOneAndOnly
Sophomore
And1: 49

Post#7 » by OnlyTheOneAndOnly » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:45 am

pretty cool...also came across this article written a few days before the draft that talks about how both PW and DD are from charlotte. i guess everybody knows each other then? lol

https://clture.org/patrick-williams-devon-dotson/
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#8 » by ATRAIN53 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:47 pm

Great story, I love these kind of tidbits on players.

These guys don't forget and should be competing. It will make them both better.
I liked Dotson at KU but I do remember thinking he was kinda small.
He's got a motor like Coby.

Kids wiki says he's wears #1 in honor of D Rose-

Do you think he will ask for it.........

and speaking of Rose this kinda reminds me of Rose and Gordon and Evan Turner competing and getting offers.
That story I heard recently that Rose and Gordon were both going to IL until Rose failed his ACT tests was interesting to think WHAT IF

please come back with more Coby/Devon tidbits!
skiz2
Bench Warmer
And1: 184

Post#9 » by skiz2 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:06 pm

Side note: Dotson is a great player. If he can get his shooting percentage up he will play in the league for a long time. He actually tested out a lot quicker than I thought in the combine. I think he is a better shooter than what he showed at Kansas this past season. His release is a bit unorthodox, but when he has time he will hit the shot. He is smart, a great defender and really really really tough. I am shocked he was not picked and think he can carve out a similar role to DJ Agustin in the league.
ChiSox
Sophomore
And1: 46

Post#10 » by ChiSox » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:16 am

R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,314

Post#11 » by R3AL1TY » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:20 am

That's good they were able to become cool with each despite their competitive fued. I stumbled across this video of them playing each other in a high school tournament:

Return to Chicago Bulls