Image ImageImage Image

I'm not sure what direction this team is headed in.

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,671

Re: I'm not sure what direction this team is headed in. 

Post#121 » by sco » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:42 pm

ZOMG wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
sco wrote:I can flip it the other way, other than Zach, I don't think that anyone would nab you much in return if traded during the offseason. So for Lauri, the trade-off IMO was trading him now for either another young guy who has underperformed or a non-lotto draft pick - i.e. a 4th quartile starter/role player. Keeping him, you have a chance to see if he can be a 2nd quartile starter, which will either be a good guy to keep or a guy who has more trade value at the deadline.

That is a good point, my comments comes from my pessimism around Lauri. It feels like they have less than a 50% chance of winning the Lauri gamble based on this set of outcomes.

-If he underperforms, you get nothing from him and likely let him walk next year.
-If he performs average, you’re paying him $20 million+ and praying he continues putting things together.
-If he has a great year, some team is giving him a max offer that you’ll need to match. Then you’ll have to decide based on the one year plus all the inconsistent history. Given that non-title teams can generally only have two max players, are you hitching your wagon to Zach and Lauri? Letting Zach go?

There is definitely a world where it all works out, but a lot of land mines on that path. That feels like quite a needle to thread.

If Bogdan (a clearly superior player at the trendiest NBA position) can only get 18 mil, I don't think there's much danger of Lauri getting 20.

If he has an average/pretty good year, I see him being a 15mil guy.

Very true, but I feel like that Bogdan was a big underpay, just as I think that Hayward was a big overpay. I think Saric's 3/$27 is a good comp for last year Lauri. Whether we pay Lauri $9M or $20M, I'm happy we don't need to commit to him unless he can show he's a top 10PF. We also get a window to trade him at the deadline if he remains what he was last year, albeit for pittance.
:clap:
cjbulls
Analyst
And1: 1,301

Post#122 » by cjbulls » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:56 pm

ZOMG wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
sco wrote:I can flip it the other way, other than Zach, I don't think that anyone would nab you much in return if traded during the offseason. So for Lauri, the trade-off IMO was trading him now for either another young guy who has underperformed or a non-lotto draft pick - i.e. a 4th quartile starter/role player. Keeping him, you have a chance to see if he can be a 2nd quartile starter, which will either be a good guy to keep or a guy who has more trade value at the deadline.

That is a good point, my comments comes from my pessimism around Lauri. It feels like they have less than a 50% chance of winning the Lauri gamble based on this set of outcomes.

-If he underperforms, you get nothing from him and likely let him walk next year.
-If he performs average, you’re paying him $20 million+ and praying he continues putting things together.
-If he has a great year, some team is giving him a max offer that you’ll need to match. Then you’ll have to decide based on the one year plus all the inconsistent history. Given that non-title teams can generally only have two max players, are you hitching your wagon to Zach and Lauri? Letting Zach go?

There is definitely a world where it all works out, but a lot of land mines on that path. That feels like quite a needle to thread.

If Bogdan (a clearly superior player at the trendiest NBA position) can only get 18 mil, I don't think there's much danger of Lauri getting 20.

You show me Bogdan (4/72) and I show you Jerami Grant (3/60). And Gallinari (3/62) And Joe Harris (4/75).

That’s before factoring Lauri’s age and “potential” for growth over the above named players. And that’s also before factoring in all the teams with cap space next year. More teams were shooting for ‘21 class over the ‘20.
cjbulls
Analyst

Post#123 » by cjbulls » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:58 pm

sco wrote:
cjbulls wrote:

You can look at it like the cost of finding out that you don't want to spend $20M+ per year on an "average starter talent" Lauri is losing out on a guy who would be likely be replaceable for a guy you could nab for $10M per year in FA, and by taking that risk, there is a chance you end up keeping a guy who is an allstar (which you likely won't be able to nab in FA).

I think you’re right. That is their mentality. The upside over downside is too good, even if the downside is more likely to hit.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#124 » by ZOMG » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:14 pm

cjbulls wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
cjbulls wrote:

You show me Bogdan (4/72) and I show you Jerami Grant (3/60). And Gallinari (3/62) And Joe Harris (4/75).

That’s before factoring Lauri’s age and “potential” for growth over the above named players. And that’s also before factoring in all the teams with cap space next year. More teams were shooting for ‘21 class over the ‘20.

Jerami Grant was a ridiculous overpay. Gallinari and Harris are ELITE shooters, the best of the best. Markkanen is nowhere near those guys. They both can handle the ball as well.
cjbulls
Analyst

Post#125 » by cjbulls » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:35 pm

ZOMG wrote:
cjbulls wrote:
ZOMG wrote:

Jerami Grant was a ridiculous overpay. Gallinari and Harris are ELITE shooters, the best of the best. Markkanen is nowhere near those guys. They both can handle the ball as well.

You’re trying to make a logical argument for what Lauri should be paid. I agree with you.

But that is not how the NBA FA market works. Incentives are not aligned, so teams that have cap space will spend even if it means an overpay. And that’s before taking the “winner’s curse” into the equation. Then there are other factors like age and perceived upside that overcome current production issues.
KeithBoothfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 198

Post#126 » by KeithBoothfan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:11 pm

Seems to me like the disconnect is between people who have already seen enough of these players and are convinced they probably can't be part of the nucleus of a contending team, vs. people who have seen enough flashes of talent among Coby, WCJ, Lauri, etc. to want to see them in a development situation that isn't completely dysfunctional with poor morale and even worse coaching. If nothing else, AK and ME have made the moves to create that better atmosphere.

It would appear that AK and ME are in the latter camp, which they've been pretty clear about all along. I am too, fwiw. I am particularly interested in seeing what WCJ can do with a coach who knows how to use a big man with his talents. Lauri too, to a lesser extent. And I'm interested to see what Donovan has in mind for using White.

But it's easy to understand how the "I've seen enough of these guys, let's move on" camp would consider it a failure or at least a missed opportunity that we haven't been aggressive in overhauling the roster. It's not like anyone on the roster looks like a budding superstar, after all.

I am just excited to see what they do in a better situation. Everyone in the potential core has looked intriguing at various times, and in various ways. If the result of this evaluation phase ends up being "not much better", then I think we'll see AK start moving pieces out. Probably not til the trade deadline approaches, if I had to guess. And probably not in earnest until next offseason. I don't think AK is in love with anybody on the roster the way GarPax often were with their high-motor college pedigree draft picks.
Can I borrow a feeling?

Care for a ViciousFlogging? I'm your guy!
umfan83
RealGM
And1: 3,265

Post#127 » by umfan83 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:00 pm

thebizkit wrote:I'm really struggling to understand the direction this new front office is trying to take the Bulls in.

The Billy Donovan hiring signaled that this is not a rebuilding year, but the draft was definitely a rebuild type one. Listen, Williams may turn into a good player, but If we needed someone to contribute right away with a bright future, I really think Deni Avdija would have covered all those bases.

If we aren't rebuilding, then I kind of understand not trying to move Lavine or Lauri, but if we are trying to compete why the hell did we spend money on bringing Denzel Valentine back? Why spend money on a locker room guy in Garrett Temple? I understand the financial and roster limitations, but it's a hard pill to swallow when other teams with similar issues ARE making significant win now moves (Lakers).

Like I said before, I will fully trust this FO for one year before I make any harsh judgments, but man are they really making it hard right now.

Apologies if this has been covered in the 7 pages, I haven't had time to read it, but I think we are all so used to the Bulls not using trading as a potential avenue to improve the team. My guess is that the FO thinks we have assets, ones that were seriously mismanaged and misdeveloped under Boylen. Regardless of whether they are expected to be here long term, the hope is that Donovan can coach them into a contender, but more importantly increase the value of the assets on the roster in order to be active at the trade deadline.

It makes sense to take 1/2 season to see what we have with so many lottery picks on the roster. I wasn't super high on the Bulls coming into next year but I am convinced that they played below the sum of their parts. Lets see how Donovan can improve this team organically and this will give us leverage to be active at the deadline and start really executing the FOs vision.

I too was a little frustrated at the lack of action last week but it was more a desire for me to feel like the Bulls are still part of the NBA lol. But I get it, and look forward to seeing what Donovan can do with the existing roster.

Edit: As far as Williams pick goes, I think they just saw a bad draft as a bad draft and picked the guy that had the highest ceiling available to them. Better in my mind than drafting a guy who is more likely than not to be a role player in the NBA and will help the Bulls improve from 35 to 38 wins or something.
RealGM Bulls Board veteran of the following failed epic battles:
-Kobe (2008)
-Amare (2009)
-Bosh (2010 trade deadline and FA)
-LeBron (2010)
-Wade (2010)
-Melo (2014)
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,119

Post#128 » by MrSparkle » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:14 pm

umfan83 wrote:
thebizkit wrote:I'm really struggling to understand the direction this new front office is trying to take the Bulls in.

The Billy Donovan hiring signaled that this is not a rebuilding year, but the draft was definitely a rebuild type one. Listen, Williams may turn into a good player, but If we needed someone to contribute right away with a bright future, I really think Deni Avdija would have covered all those bases.

If we aren't rebuilding, then I kind of understand not trying to move Lavine or Lauri, but if we are trying to compete why the hell did we spend money on bringing Denzel Valentine back? Why spend money on a locker room guy in Garrett Temple? I understand the financial and roster limitations, but it's a hard pill to swallow when other teams with similar issues ARE making significant win now moves (Lakers).

Like I said before, I will fully trust this FO for one year before I make any harsh judgments, but man are they really making it hard right now.

Apologies if this has been covered in the 7 pages, I haven't had time to read it, but I think we are all so used to the Bulls not using trading as a potential avenue to improve the team. My guess is that the FO thinks we have assets, ones that were seriously mismanaged and misdeveloped under Boylen. Regardless of whether they are expected to be here long term, the hope is that Donovan can coach them into a contender, but more importantly increase the value of the assets on the roster in order to be active at the trade deadline.

It makes sense to take 1/2 season to see what we have with so many lottery picks on the roster. I wasn't super high on the Bulls coming into next year but I am convinced that they played below the sum of their parts. Lets see how Donovan can improve this team organically and this will give us leverage to be active at the deadline and start really executing the FOs vision.

I too was a little frustrated at the lack of action last week but it was more a desire for me to feel like the Bulls are still part of the NBA lol. But I get it, and look forward to seeing what Donovan can do with the existing roster.

Edit: As far as Williams pick goes, I think they just saw a bad draft as a bad draft and picked the guy that had the highest ceiling available to them. Better in my mind than drafting a guy who is more likely than not to be a role player in the NBA and will help the Bulls improve from 35 to 38 wins or something.

Yep. A good time to be irritated was 2015, when there were obviously big chinks in the armor, the Bulls were still a foot away from contending, and they stood pat. Or similarly, 2011. They actually managed to downgrade from Bogans by signing Rip, and somehow were totally satisfied with a contending team that had 1 ball-handler and 1 3P shooter. And you had a 60-win team with very inflated perception, so it was a great time to trade.

I'm convinced that everybody's value on this team goes up in the next 3 months. Even Hutchinson. And if not, who cares? You'll get the same garbage return in March that you would today. Just makes no sense dumping low stock for pennies.
mtron32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,997

Post#129 » by mtron32 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:09 pm

IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
I understand what you and some of the others are saying about our direction. Its still a confusing position for a team to be in for the fans whether a handful of them "know" the plan going forward or not. We are somewhere in the middle of we will develop and try to win but if we suck we will get another lottery pick. Well that is more confusing than we are dumping all our vets and tanking or we are making a splash and trying to win. Its just very understandable for a fan to be confused about the direction of this team. Know what I'm saying?

While that is fair I think the mediocre next season is to be expected. They have to know what their assets are to make a decision, so far it has been the plan to get the organization in line to give these guys a chance to succeed and if not them, the structure to succeed is set. Going for a win now is not wise as we don’t have the path to it at this second, perhaps by the trade deadline we will know what some of these guys futures are (WCJ, Otto, Lauri, Hutch, Coby (we know what LaVine is)) and make moves from there. It’s the smartest plan at this point. I have heard rumblings that PWill is supposed to be a Lauri replacement because as he grows and fills out he maybe more of a 4. So maybe a Lauri trade etc.... we don’t know as fans because well the GM generally doesn’t broad as it except in Philly where it was so extreme it had to be and he literally had a process. The Bulls aren’t good and don’t have a magic pill to take to change that overnight, in a weak FA class no money and a weak draft. They did what the could in trying to make the culture of this team better but that’s about all they really could do. Could hey get a Harden? Maybe but timelines aren’t amazing with that either as adding harden even without giving up assets doesn’t make us a contender. So yes we are definitely stuck in limbo until the season starts and beyond. If we are just as clueless after next seasons draft that is cause for concern but for right now it makes decent enough sense.

I hear you but do they really need to see these guys play another season to know what to do with them? I don't :lol:

We need their trade values to rise in order to move them if/when the time comes. Trading Lauri now may not even get you a 2nd round pick at this point
Ugly Duckling
Analyst
And1: 1,569

Post#130 » by Ugly Duckling » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:47 pm

This post is gonna age badly
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,590

Post#131 » by Michael Jackson » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:02 pm

Ugly Duckling wrote:

Are you trying to imply that we are not competing with the Lakers this year? Thats balderdash my fine sir, simply balderdash. We are only 11 pieces away from competing with them and we could have easily resolved this this offseason.
mtron32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,997

Post#132 » by mtron32 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:10 pm

the ultimates wrote:
Sure they have a right but you don't have to waste a season to evaluate players that have been in the league for multiple seasons already. They are of the product of the last front office that was fired. I'm not asking them to turn over the roster. I'm asking them to improve it. I don't think thats too much to ask for as a fan. It is baffling to me that people are ok to roll out the same roster so say its not all you want but it is. To me. So yes, it is.

No, it isn't. You didn't want to say which players or positions they should target you said it's their job. Once again in order to make the roster better, you have to evaluate the players in the environment you put them in. Coaches and gm's don't go in with hardline views on players. That's not the right way to improve a roster.

You want them to sign a middling free agent that would improve the roster right? You want them to make a trade despite you being down on the talent so that brings back another middling upgrade at best right? So in your scenario moves have been made the rosters improved but you haven't moved the needle significantly. Hell, that's what Garpax did with the OPJ trade, that's what they did with Young and Sato. No superstar is being brought in so the best bet is to take a look at the young players and see how they improve in a better-coached situation.

I'm not going to get into a childish back & forth about MY opinion. But what you're saying is GarPax did a better job? Would everyone have been ok if Garpax sat on their hands with the same roster and only having signed a new coach? I know where my bets would go.

I'm just not buying this evaluate players for this season garbage.

I'd have been completely fine if GarPax did an actual coaching search before extending Boylen, I also would've been alll good with them NOT signing Jabari "I don't get paid to play defense" Parker. The job now is to make Lauri look good so we can Mirotic his azz off at the deadline for assets, then package up OPJ for a contender. By the time next off season arrives, shrek will also be off the books and they'll have the money to make actual moves.

In the meantime, how these players develop has a direct effect to how good our FA can be next time around, we'll have the money.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,311

Post#133 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:15 pm

I agree with the majority that essentially think this is an evaluation year of the current roster.

But in doing so, let's also admit that the team likely won't be very good. We will get a true test of just how important a coach is in terms of wins and losses, as that is really the only large adjustment made this year.

AK said he hopes he never has to pick that high again, but I fail to see how that isn't possible. Technically the Bulls were 7th worst in the league, so they'd have to get worse or lucky to pick better than 7, but the roster hasn't been adjusted at all to be any better. So it's safe to assume the team will be 6-10th worst team in the league, unless you think Donovan can turn around a team in very limited time. Or the team health is altered drastically.

If you frame the 2021 season with this in mind, the Pat Williams pick kind of makes sense. Williams is a project that isn't going to help you win in year 1. The Bulls haven't found a primary ballhandler, and we can safely assume there is no #1 option star on the team. They could potentially look towards next years draft or free agency to do that, and set up that potentially playmaker with the options he needs to be successful. If they get the top pick, Cade Cunningham or Jalen Green could come in and Pat Williams will be a sophomore, and those two could be a nice duo for the future. It's sort of the mentality to get the young #2, #3 options on a team so when the #1 option comes in, the team will be successful quickly. It's not the preferred approach, but the Bulls really didn't have a chance to do it the other way around.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#134 » by gobullschi » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:52 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:AK said he hopes he never has to pick that high again, but I fail to see how that isn't possible. Technically the Bulls were 7th worst in the league, so they'd have to get worse or lucky to pick better than 7, but the roster hasn't been adjusted at all to be any better. So it's safe to assume the team will be 6-10th worst team in the league, unless you think Donovan can turn around a team in very limited time. Or the team health is altered drastically.

The only way the Bulls are the 6 - 10th worst team in the league is if they get hit by injuries again. Otto Porter Jr., Lauri Markkanen, & Wendell Carter Jr. all missed extensive time last year. That’s three freaking starters!
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#135 » by MGB8 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:59 pm

gobullschi wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:AK said he hopes he never has to pick that high again, but I fail to see how that isn't possible. Technically the Bulls were 7th worst in the league, so they'd have to get worse or lucky to pick better than 7, but the roster hasn't been adjusted at all to be any better. So it's safe to assume the team will be 6-10th worst team in the league, unless you think Donovan can turn around a team in very limited time. Or the team health is altered drastically.

The only way the Bulls are the 6 - 10th worst team in the league is if they get hit by injuries again. Otto Porter Jr., Lauri Markkanen, & Wendell Carter Jr. all missed extensive time last year. That’s three freaking starters!

Not to mention that there's no actual growth / development in the players themselves, particularly having swapped out Boylen for an actual NBA coach (to include a guy like Mo Cheeks who could be a head coach in his own right).

The Bulls are not some veteran team where you don't expect improvement from the guys playing heavy minutes because they've reached their peaks. Porter likely has, due to injury if not age, and maybe LaVine has hit his (although he could have one more step in him). But White, Markkanen, Carter, even Hutchinson, Valentine and Gafford... there should still be upside. And, of course, whatever the Bulls have in Patrick Williams.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,311

Post#136 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:35 pm

gobullschi wrote:

I mean, there are 2 teams I expect to be better in Golden State and Atlanta. They made significant roster upgrades in the offseason. Minnesota made some bigger offseason upgrades as well.

I think it's clear the Bulls will be better than NYK, Detroit, and Cleveland. After that, pretty difficult to say the Bulls will be better than others given how little they did. They'll beat out some other teams, sure, but unless massive improvements come from multiple players, better than the 10th worst team seems pretty optimistic. All young teams in the same boat as the Bulls expect internal improvement as well, not everyone gets that. The Knicks just got Thibs, I would expect internal improvement from their team as much as the Bulls.

OPJ is an annual injured player until proven otherwise. How can anyone assume a full season out of him? It's impossible.

WCJ is towing that line at this point too. Only has played around 50% of his games.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,908

Post#137 » by nomorezorro » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:49 pm

i dunno how people have hard-and-fast expectations for this team next year. i would not be surprised if it turned out boylen's stench dragged down a perfectly average team or if all our players are bad regardless of who the coach is.

it is kind of exciting that our next season is basically going to be an experiment in how much coaches actually affect a team's performance. can't wait to find out!
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,592

Post#138 » by Ccwatercraft » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:10 pm

nomorezorro wrote:i dunno how people have hard-and-fast expectations for this team next year. i would not be surprised if it turned out boylen's stench dragged down a perfectly average team or if all our players are bad regardless of who the coach is.

it is kind of exciting that our next season is basically going to be an experiment in how much coaches actually affect a team's performance. can't wait to find out!

Neither can I, and I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm hoping that coaching & support staff improvements, and health will make this team look much much better, although if that happens then I'll be forced to admit that gar/pax built a pretty good roster, and made bad decisions on the coach.

With that said, I can't help but feeling a bit of a letdown when we draft two guys I had to google. Then we signed an undrafted player I had to google, then picked up a free agent that I had to google to know what team he was on.

Pretty uninspiring to say the least.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,592

Post#139 » by Ccwatercraft » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:20 pm

Ccwatercraft wrote:
nomorezorro wrote:i dunno how people have hard-and-fast expectations for this team next year. i would not be surprised if it turned out boylen's stench dragged down a perfectly average team or if all our players are bad regardless of who the coach is.

Neither can I, and I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm hoping that coaching & support staff improvements, and health will make this team look much much better, although if that happens then I'll be forced to admit that gar/pax built a pretty good roster, and made bad decisions on the coach.

With that said, I can't help but feeling a bit of a letdown when we draft two guys I had to google. Then we signed an undrafted player I had to google, then picked up a free agent that I had to google to know what team he was on.

Pretty uninspiring to say the least.

To piggyback on this.

We have made a few decisions on the roster.
Dunn and shaq are gone
We recommitted to val and mok
We made a draft pick & stashed a euro big
Signed a locker room guy and a 2 way pg.

What would have better.... without being crazy

if Felicio/kornett had been replaced with MLE 1+1
We pay for a 2nd rounder and stash another euro.

At least then I feel better about the process.

If I want to feel great vs better, all of the above +.

Replace Kornet/felicio + future pick with one of the dozen players that cycled through okc the last 7 days to add a quality player that we can evaluate.

I'd be happy if we had something more than the current. remove dead weight and consolidate talent if possible.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#140 » by MrFortune3 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:34 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
Ugly Duckling wrote:

Are you trying to imply that we are not competing with the Lakers this year? Thats balderdash my fine sir, simply balderdash. We are only 11 pieces away from competing with them and we could have easily resolved this this offseason.

This might be the greatest post of all time :lol:

Return to Chicago Bulls