Image ImageImage Image

I'm not sure what direction this team is headed in.

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Re: I'm not sure what direction this team is headed in. 

Post#141 » by MrFortune3 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:41 pm

Ccwatercraft wrote:To piggyback on this.

We have made a few decisions on the roster.
Dunn and shaq are gone
We recommitted to val and mok
We made a draft pick & stashed a euro big
Signed a locker room guy and a 2 way pg.

What would have better.... without being crazy

if Felicio/kornett had been replaced with MLE 1+1
We pay for a 2nd rounder and stash another euro.

At least then I feel better about the process.

If I want to feel great vs better, all of the above +.

Replace Kornet/felicio + future pick with one of the dozen players that cycled through okc the last 7 days to add a quality player that we can evaluate.

I'd be happy if we had something more than the current. remove dead weight and consolidate talent if possible.

What most wanted to see was the FO clean house.
Trade away LaVine for either expirings and draft picks or completely clear his salary in a trade and get back a pick asset.

Trade away either WCJ or Lauri and open up that roster spot for either a FA or trade candidate.

Draft a PG to replace Coby in the starting lineup and move Coby to the bench or slide him over to SG.

Trade away Kornet, Young, Felicio to finish gutting the roster.

Not give the QO to Val or Dunn.

Sign some FA to a pricey deal while also making it clear that the team is tanking for the 2021 draft because it's "stronger"

None of that was ever going to happen. People did not pay attention to what AK and Evs said when they first came in. Nor did they pay attention to the way the Nuggets were run.

People keep looking at OKC and New Orleans and want the stockpile of picks and cap space. Not realizing that the Bulls have played the cap space game before and you still have to have the players necessary and the culture required to attract those big fish.
thebizkit
Junior
And1: 150

Post#142 » by thebizkit » Tue Mar 2, 2021 4:06 am

I think we've done enough "evaluating" and it's time to pick a lane.

If it's win mode, it's time to sit Carter and start Thad Young, find a starting quality point guard and bring Williams off the bench, as even though he's shown flashes of quality he's clearly not ready to start.

If it's build for the future, then it's time to trade some assets and hope for the best.

Whatever this is now, it's just more mediocrity.
CaPiTanAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 435

Post#143 » by CaPiTanAK » Tue Mar 2, 2021 4:57 am

Is AK going to be Paxson Jr, a spineless coward who falls in love with mediocrity or is he going to prove himself at a KGB agent ready to snipe GMs left and right?
thebizkit
Junior

Post#144 » by thebizkit » Tue Mar 2, 2021 5:00 am

CaPiTanAK wrote:Is AK going to be Paxson Jr, a spineless coward who falls in love with mediocrity or is he going to prove himself at a KGB agent ready to snipe GMs left and right?

If anything this is the year to blow stuff up... It's not like they fear a drop in attendance.

If it's about winning, why the hell haven't they taken a flyer on Cousins? He's a massive upgrade over Carter at this point.
CaPiTanAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 435

Post#145 » by CaPiTanAK » Tue Mar 2, 2021 5:04 am

thebizkit wrote:
CaPiTanAK wrote:Is AK going to be Paxson Jr, a spineless coward who falls in love with mediocrity or is he going to prove himself at a KGB agent ready to snipe GMs left and right?

If anything this is the year to blow stuff up... It's not like they fear a drop in attendance.

If it's about winning, why the hell haven't they taken a flyer on Cousins? He's a massive upgrade over Carter at this point.

They are about to face more fan rebellion and a deeper red ink if they don’t get this team some talent and rebuild the core properly.

I hope that AK doesn’t get too comfortable in his seat bc mom and pop Reinsdorf will respond to red ink with the MJ cash cow no longer working anymore.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,695

Post#146 » by GoBlue72391 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 5:44 am

thebizkit wrote:I think we've done enough "evaluating" and it's time to pick a lane.

If it's win mode, it's time to sit Carter and start Thad Young, find a starting quality point guard and bring Williams off the bench, as even though he's shown flashes of quality he's clearly not ready to start.

If it's build for the future, then it's time to trade some assets and hope for the best.

Whatever this is now, it's just more mediocrity.
We're basically treading water until Lauri and Otto get back, beating the teams we're supposed to beat and being competitive against the good teams while stealing a game here and there.

That's really all you can do when 2 of your best scorers are out. If we continue to play well once they return then I imagine it will be all in on the playoffs, if it isn't already.

Sent from my SM-S115DL using RealGM mobile app
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#147 » by MrSparkle » Tue Mar 2, 2021 5:46 am

I think everybody got a little confused with the way BRK, LAL and LAC concocted their fast-track title builds.

Artunas was not hired for a 9-month turnaround.

This is going to be a 3-5y process. Sit back and relax.

In the meantime, revel in the fact that we do not look like a G-League/NCAA team in NBA uniforms (despite surprisingly having a number of rotation pieces who frankly belong in those leagues). We actually jumped to the 21-15 fringe mid tier, which is pretty darn impressive considering only 2 guys were replaced on the roster (and they were hardly the worst players ditched; Arguably the highest impact defenders!). Not to mention the 3 perpetually injured forwards costing a combined $40m.
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,949

Post#148 » by Axl Rose » Tue Mar 2, 2021 6:36 am

MrFortune3 wrote:you still have to have the players necessary and the culture required to attract those big fish.

And even then its no guarantee. Its hard to imagine being in a better position than we were in 2010 with a budding superstar guard and a bundle of other quality players with enough cap for 2 max deals (3 if you trade Deng).

We ended up with Carlos Boozer. Perfect timing and allot of luck are required.
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#149 » by logical_art » Tue Mar 2, 2021 8:45 am

The Bulls are ok because 1) they have an NBA coach, 2) Zach made a leap and 3) they have some solid vets who are playing well.

For me to be excited I need to see another one of the potential young core players make a big leap forward.
Just_Bullz
Veteran
And1: 629

Post#150 » by Just_Bullz » Tue Mar 2, 2021 10:08 am

We are heading towards the direction of the playoffs.

The runway is 2 years in my opinion. Can't afford to get any younger with Zach reaching his prime.
thebizkit
Junior

Post#151 » by thebizkit » Tue Mar 2, 2021 3:38 pm

Just_Bullz wrote:We are heading towards the direction of the playoffs.

The runway is 2 years in my opinion. Can't afford to get any younger with Zach reaching his prime.

I don't think it's about youth, as I think there are literally dozens of younger players the league that would be upgrades to this team.

Are you telling me you'd rather keep Carter over day a guy like James Wiseman?
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#152 » by MrFortune3 » Tue Mar 2, 2021 9:15 pm

Axl Rose wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:you still have to have the players necessary and the culture required to attract those big fish.

And even then its no guarantee. Its hard to imagine being in a better position than we were in 2010 with a budding superstar guard and a bundle of other quality players with enough cap for 2 max deals (3 if you trade Deng).

We ended up with Carlos Boozer. Perfect timing and allot of luck are required.

More often than not you will have to draft and develop guys and hope that attracts the big fish.

Look at the Lakers. The pieces they dealt away for AD(even some before AD) have blossomed with other teams but it took getting away from LA to do it.
Sometimes it's not good to cluster up the roster with young guys and no legitimate vets. Other times you strike the right balance and you end up with the Nuggets or Celtics(before this year)
Just_Bullz
Veteran
And1: 629

Post#153 » by Just_Bullz » Tue Mar 2, 2021 10:47 pm

thebizkit wrote:
Just_Bullz wrote:We are heading towards the direction of the playoffs.

I don't think it's about youth, as I think there are literally dozens of younger players the league that would be upgrades to this team.

Are you telling me you'd rather keep Carter over day a guy like James Wiseman?

We need a mixture of proven talents, veterans and young up and coming players. A tilt towards the first 2.

Younger players don't have enough experience to right the ship. Game on the line, I likely won't see James Wiseman taking the last shot.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 741

Post#154 » by Hold That » Tue Mar 2, 2021 10:57 pm

The current direction is to evaluate year 1 and make moves accordingly after that.

This entire thread shows you just how impatient a fan base is. And how people will stick and throw anything at a FO when you simply sit back and evaluate the first year on the job.

At the start of the year the poll was heavily in favor of trading Lavine the first month into the season. Same posters have back tracked and now want to keep Lavine. Point is half of you don’t know what the hell your talking about half the time and will post based upon emotion. Still haven’t learned from Lavine season that maybe you should let things play out year one before making any drastic decisions.

Sit back and really think, what thorough GM or VP will just blindly come in and make moves cause the fan base is “bored”.

Allow AK and Eversley to do what they’ve been doing. Evaluate the talent then make moves after one season of data under Donovan. From Day 1 I said no moves need to be made until AFTER the lottery. The only exception should be Otto and Thad or Lauri if Ball is on the table. Outside of the you keep everything as is for now and make moves during draft time. We need to see Coby in a full second year, same with Lavine in the second half of the season, and many other players proving their value under new leadership.

You’d think the Bulls are a couple pieces away from the Championship with how desperately you guys want to see a trade happen.
Rowland Garrett
Senior
And1: 489

Post#155 » by Rowland Garrett » Tue Mar 2, 2021 11:00 pm

Does that mean we can trade Carter for Wiseman? I'd do that. But no PW included.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,862

Post#156 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Mar 2, 2021 11:10 pm

Hold That wrote:The current direction is to evaluate year 1 and make moves accordingly after that.

This entire thread shows you just how impatient a fan base is. And how people will stick and throw anything at a FO when you simply sit back and evaluate the first year on the job.

At the start of the year the poll was heavily in favor of trading Lavine the first month into the season. Same posters have back tracked and now want to keep Lavine. Point is half of you don’t know what the hell your talking about half the time and will post based upon emotion. Still haven’t learned from Lavine season that maybe you should let things play out year one before making any drastic decisions.

Sit back and really think, what thorough GM or VP will just blindly come in and make moves cause the fan base is “bored”.

Allow AK and Eversley to do what they’ve been doing. Evaluate the talent then make moves after one season of data under Donovan. From Day 1 I said no moves need to be made until AFTER the lottery. The only exception should be Otto and Thad or Lauri if Ball is on the table. Outside of the you keep everything as is for now and make moves during draft time. We need to see Coby in a full second year, same with Lavine in the second half of the season, and many other players proving their value under new leadership.

You’d think the Bulls are a couple pieces away from the Championship with how desperately you guys want to see a trade happen.

We have a top 5 pick staring us in the face with some minor moves to trade the vets. AK absolutely deserves heat if we stand pat and "evaluate". Get a move on Paxson Jr.
LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,452

Post#157 » by LateNight » Tue Mar 2, 2021 11:22 pm

MrSparkle wrote:I think everybody got a little confused with the way BRK, LAL and LAC concocted their fast-track title builds.

Artunas was not hired for a 9-month turnaround.

This is going to be a 3-5y process. Sit back and relax.

In the meantime, revel in the fact that we do not look like a G-League/NCAA team in NBA uniforms (despite surprisingly having a number of rotation pieces who frankly belong in those leagues). We actually jumped to the 21-15 fringe mid tier, which is pretty darn impressive considering only 2 guys were replaced on the roster (and they were hardly the worst players ditched; Arguably the highest impact defenders!). Not to mention the 3 perpetually injured forwards costing a combined $40m.

Yeah - This above is correct.

I’m not sure why people are freaking out about the state of the team. We are much better than last year, and I think literally every player has improved statistically.

If AKME gets a great offer and choose to move our pieces, they are set up to do that. If a good player is available and they choose to buy, they have the pieces for that too.

Porter, Kornet, Felicio are all off the books next season - so AKME have space to sign free agents. They can clear even more people if the want/need to. They can bring in another vet, they can go after a big FA. They can trade to take multiple contracts back if they want to. They have great options.

The problem is, they inherited a roster and there are limitations to what they can do. They let some pieces leave - they bright back Denzel and Temple for a season. BOTH those guys have contributed to winning. And that’s infectious - Getting used to winning and learning what takes is important. That’s what the team is doing. Thats why we signed Billy.

Trading everyone just to trade them is a terrible strategy. you have to be patient.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#158 » by MrSparkle » Tue Mar 2, 2021 11:22 pm

Rowland Garrett wrote:Does that mean we can trade Carter for Wiseman? I'd do that. But no PW included.

Sure, they'll trade Wiseman and Oubre for LaVine and Carter..

I wouldn't, but they would.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,312

Post#159 » by coldfish » Tue Mar 2, 2021 11:25 pm

Bulls are actually in a tough position. More difficult than I have thought at times:
- They have a star level player but that guy will likely walk in 2022 if you tank
- The young guys have largely disappointed
- Most of the league is actually trying so there aren't many sellers in the trade market
- The free agent market sucks this year.

If the Bulls tank, they likely lose Lavine just so they get another draft pick to develop. OTOH there really isn't an easy path to improving the team, either by trade or free agency.

IMO, the most likely path forward is to stand pat and hope you can get internal improvement. Everything else likely just makes the team worse.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 741

Post#160 » by Hold That » Tue Mar 2, 2021 11:34 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
Hold That wrote:The current direction is to evaluate year 1 and make moves accordingly after that.

We have a top 5 pick staring us in the face with some minor moves to trade the vets. AK absolutely deserves heat if we stand pat and "evaluate". Get a move on Paxson Jr.

What heat and from who?

What if AK and Eversley feel it’s better to evaluate how players perform when the team has a top 8 playoff seed staring at their face and how they prepare themselves during a season when every game counts.

You think the players are dumb? You don’t think once they ship out vets with some “minor moves” the young players won’t see the organization isn’t trying to win but tank? Even if your teammates wasn’t expected to win the organization will undercut that because you’re “winning too much too soon?”

That’s a quick way to lose a lockeroom for Billy D and destroy all confidence in this season and for players moving forward. That’s a beautiful message to send to Zach Lavine when he has unrestricted free agency staring at him in a year or two. There’s literally nobody in this current draft that’s deemed as a generational talent but you want to risk everything I just said just so you can say we have a “top 5 pick”..

People want the FO to establish a winning culture but you guys are always begging for losing culture moves.

Return to Chicago Bulls