Image ImageImage Image

Way too early NBA draft thread 2021

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

If we manage to get 3rd pick who do you draft?

Evan Mobley
14%
Jalen Suggs
61%
Terrence Clarke
1%
Jonathan Kuminga
6%
Ziaire Williams
1%
Usman Guruba
1%
Jalen Johnson
1%
Terrence Clarke
No votes
BJ Boston
2%
None of the Above
12%

Total votes: 146

PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Re: Way too early NBA draft thread 2021 

Post#81 » by PlayerUp » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:13 am

PlayerUp
Analyst

Post#82 » by PlayerUp » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:17 am

Kukoc-Lauri wrote:I want late first and mid second for Ron Harper Jr. and Scottie Pippen Jr. Emotional side check, regardless of that Harper Jr. is like highly praised Horton Tucker just better. Maybe junior Pipp hit that growth spurt, but he is already better than Arcidiacono.

The draft has some quality talent outside the lottery. Would be nice to get another 1st here. Fortunately the Bulls finally get their 2nd Rd Picks back so we should have a high 2nd Rd Pick for the 1st time in years in this draft.
Cabbage bulls
Senior
And1: 594

Post#83 » by Cabbage bulls » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:06 am

Tanking is still completely worth it, despite what some people here are saying. Being guaranteed a top 5 pick is huge, especially in a draft like this one.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,430

Post#84 » by Repeat 3-peat » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:24 am

PlayerUp
Analyst

Post#85 » by PlayerUp » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:39 pm

Repeat 3-peat wrote:

His volume has gone up but his efficiency not so much since his freshman season.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,952

Post#86 » by Chi town » Fri Jan 1, 2021 6:56 am

Lots of big changes. Bouknight reminds me of Lavine.

http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft
Bulldog23
Bench Warmer
And1: 126

Post#87 » by Bulldog23 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 12:44 pm

Players out of top 5 that I like...Moses Moody and Scottie Barnes. Scottie reminds me of Boris Diaw. Moses shooting and length is appealing.
Kukoc-Lauri
Bench Warmer
And1: 414

Post#88 » by Kukoc-Lauri » Fri Jan 1, 2021 2:06 pm

Suggs remindes me of young Rose with his quick drives. Mobley is like Bosh. Green is highlight reel. Cade is in mode of Luka,Harden,Simmons between those guys in terms of athlethicism and skills (more athlethic than Luka and Harden but less skilled, more skilled than Ben but less athlethic, overall good blend of skills). Kumminga could be Giannis light/Siakam in form. Even if we miss playoffs this year and still end up in loterry not bad year to do so. Next draft is our chance to grabb real franchise player imo.
PlayerUp
Analyst

Post#89 » by PlayerUp » Fri Jan 1, 2021 4:04 pm

Bulldog23 wrote:Players out of top 5 that I like...Moses Moody and Scottie Barnes. Scottie reminds me of Boris Diaw. Moses shooting and length is appealing.

This is pretty much where I am at right now as well.

Tier 1
1. Cade Cunningham
2. Jalen Green
3. Jalen Suggs
4. Evan Mobley

Tier 2
Jonathan Kuminga
Scottie Barnes
Moses Moody
Ziaire Williams
Jalen Johnson
Jaden Springer
Daishen Nix

The true prize is in the Top 3.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#90 » by MrFortune3 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 7:11 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:We need to tank hard for a top pick and then trade for a second pick with which to take Keon Johnson.

Definitely need to take any dumb/lazy players off our board. We've seen how tough it is to play with those guys. Jalen Green is kind of a mindless scorer, no? Maybe stay away from that one. Don't touch the Kentucky guys either.

Suggs or Cade are the dream. Both heady players. Mobley the other top prospect right now.

That's not the mindset of AK or Evs. They have no interest in tanking and AK already said he hopes to never pick as high as #4 ever again.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#91 » by Chi town » Fri Jan 1, 2021 7:26 pm

Kukoc-Lauri wrote:Suggs remindes me of young Rose with his quick drives. Mobley is like Bosh. Green is highlight reel. Cade is in mode of Luka,Harden,Simmons between those guys in terms of athlethicism and skills (more athlethic than Luka and Harden but less skilled, more skilled than Ben but less athlethic, overall good blend of skills). Kumminga could be Giannis light/Siakam in form. Even if we miss playoffs this year and still end up in loterry not bad year to do so. Next draft is our chance to grabb real franchise player imo.

Good comps.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#92 » by CjayC » Fri Jan 1, 2021 7:49 pm

I get more Dame vibes from Suggs. Or for a mid-level comparison Jrue Holiday. 3 level scorers, good athletes, not exactly above the rim players though. Suggs has a very impressive first step, and nice touch around the basket, but Rose is on a different level of athleticism. Not a knock on Suggs, but Rose was a real freak for his position.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,008

Post#93 » by MrSparkle » Fri Jan 1, 2021 10:18 pm

Cabbage bulls wrote:Tanking is still completely worth it, despite what some people here are saying. Being guaranteed a top 5 pick is huge, especially in a draft like this one.

Whenever somebody claims this, I ask them to give me one example of a championship team in recent memory that did it via tanking.

Like, I’ll concede that Spurs (probably) wouldn’t have won without Duncan (nor #15 Kawhi), and the Lakers did get AD via a trade that included 2 tank picks... but at the same time, Lakers also tanked for 2 useless picks (DLo and Randle) who netted nothing, and the team would’ve still been very bad had Lebron not wanted to retire in Hollywood.

The Cavs were the same story. Yes, having an arsenal of crappy/bust top-5 picks helped them land Love, and #1 Kyrie, but they would’ve been hopeless without Lebron.

Curry and Klay weren’t tank picks. Warriors were actually half-competitive, just stuck in the Wild West (well, actually that Maggette contract was a bit of an unintentional tank job).

I’m not betting any money on Philly winning a ring.

OKC was the best-case, luckiest 1-2-3 tank/draft job ever, and they made 1 finals appearance (lost handedly to Miami) and slowly fell apart.

And then Rose and Zion are examples of franchise changing #1s whose teams did not tank.

Nets didn’t tank at all.

Draft barely did jack**** for Clippers, besides Shai who was undervalued in that trade for PG13. 1 year later, I'm pretty sure OKC is sending a FRP with George to get Shai and cap relief.

Mavs did a 1y stealth tank and lucked with Luka being underrated into the draft... and ATL and MEM handled their tanks very well... but they still have long ways to go, develop and fill out their rosters. I see more cases of TWolves, Kings, Suns, GarPax Bulls, 14-18 Lakers then the success stories.

Don’t get me wrong; I want a superstar, but GarPax fumbled their perfect chances 3x in a row. IMO losing for a half decade puts you in a dangerous spot (unless a hometown hero Lebron is bailing you out). Unfortunately Rose blew his knees out, so I don't see who's coming back to the Windy City.

Artunas was hired for a reason: Denver, Toronto, Milwaukee models. Draft well in the mid/late rounds, develop talent, settle on resigning B-tier stars since the superstars are feasibly not coming here (LaVine, DeRozan, Millsap, etc.).
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,203

Post#94 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Fri Jan 1, 2021 10:38 pm

Cabbage bulls wrote:Tanking is still completely worth it, despite what some people here are saying. Being guaranteed a top 5 pick is huge, especially in a draft like this one.

Are people here saying this draft isn’t good?

This will be a historic draft. One of the best ever.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,725

Post#95 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Jan 1, 2021 10:40 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:

I really doubt it. Solid draft though.
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,414

Post#96 » by ImSlower » Fri Jan 1, 2021 11:03 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:

I don't think anyone is saying the draft won't be stacked. People see the Donovan hiring and everything AK and Eversley have said and realize those guys have no interest in a full tank. The optics of a tank would be very bad after the relative excitement of an FO overhaul. I agree it would be great to get one of these 2021 top guys. It simply is not on the table, and even if it were, it could be terribly damaging in the short and medium run. A last place finish likely means that White, Markkanen and Carter all performed so badly that they are worthless to resign or trade. Likely we'd have traded LaVine for someone inferior and a middling pick. National media all over taking dumps on the disastrous FO job the FO did of evaluating our guys, etc. Donovan is probably out. I just don't think all that is worth "Hopefully we are good in 2025".

To each his own, though. Until the Bulls are a playoff team, there will be a very wide range of opinions from realGMers on how to get there. I think that developing our current talent and trading half of it next off-season is the best play, though it will likely get us another 7-11ish pick vs demolishing everything, roster, coach and FO for a top 5.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,203

Post#97 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Fri Jan 1, 2021 11:15 pm

ImSlower wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:

I don't think anyone is saying the draft won't be stacked. People see the Donovan hiring and everything AK and Eversley have said and realize those guys have no interest in a full tank. The optics of a tank would be very bad after the relative excitement of an FO overhaul. I agree it would be great to get one of these 2021 top guys. It simply is not on the table, and even if it were, it could be terribly damaging in the short and medium run. A last place finish likely means that White, Markkanen and Carter all performed so badly that they are worthless to resign or trade. Likely we'd have traded LaVine for someone inferior and a middling pick. National media all over taking dumps on the disastrous FO job the FO did of evaluating our guys, etc. Donovan is probably out. I just don't think all that is worth "Hopefully we are good in 2025".

To each his own, though. Until the Bulls are a playoff team, there will be a very wide range of opinions from realGMers on how to get there. I think that developing our current talent and trading half of it next off-season is the best play, though it will likely get us another 7-11ish pick vs demolishing everything, roster, coach and FO for a top 5.

I’ve fully expected this team to be bottom 10 in the league, probably worse. They’ve made no real improvements from last year outside of the coach.

They beat up the Wizards, who look like one of the most dysfunctional teams in the league, so I’m not sold on this team fighting for the playoffs.

“Tanking” may not be the word to use, but this team should certainly be bad and will be vying for a top pick.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,414

Post#98 » by ImSlower » Fri Jan 1, 2021 11:31 pm

I agree we're going to be bottom 10 barring like four different guys making significant strides over the season. I only take issue with the concept that we can jettison our trio of disappointing #7s and LaVine, and likely Donovan, in an attempt lose another 10 games and compete with likely five or six other teams for those worst three spots. I think we can be on the uptick by the end of this season, move at least one if not two of our current starters for better fits (I would love more picks but I dont think anyone's giving away 2021 firsts), and end up with the 10th-ish best odds before the ping pong balls - and with the flat odds that's not bad. We probably won't get the future HOFer we all see in a couple guys, but I think there'll be multiple all-stars further down for our FO to target.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#99 » by Chi town » Sat Jan 2, 2021 12:31 am

ImSlower wrote:I agree we're going to be bottom 10 barring like four different guys making significant strides over the season. I only take issue with the concept that we can jettison our trio of disappointing #7s and LaVine, and likely Donovan, in an attempt lose another 10 games and compete with likely five or six other teams for those worst three spots. I think we can be on the uptick by the end of this season, move at least one if not two of our current starters for better fits (I would love more picks but I dont think anyone's giving away 2021 firsts), and end up with the 10th-ish best odds before the ping pong balls - and with the flat odds that's not bad. We probably won't get the future HOFer we all see in a couple guys, but I think there'll be multiple all-stars further down for our FO to target.

I think you will see some middling teams sell at the deadline to stealth tank into the top 10.

I’m also not convinced AK will sell everything if we are trending well at the deadline. Lauri could be S&T ala Kennard at the draft.
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#100 » by Pax for Prez » Sat Jan 2, 2021 12:37 am

Chi town wrote:
ImSlower wrote:I agree we're going to be bottom 10 barring like four different guys making significant strides over the season. I only take issue with the concept that we can jettison our trio of disappointing #7s and LaVine, and likely Donovan, in an attempt lose another 10 games and compete with likely five or six other teams for those worst three spots. I think we can be on the uptick by the end of this season, move at least one if not two of our current starters for better fits (I would love more picks but I dont think anyone's giving away 2021 firsts), and end up with the 10th-ish best odds before the ping pong balls - and with the flat odds that's not bad. We probably won't get the future HOFer we all see in a couple guys, but I think there'll be multiple all-stars further down for our FO to target.

I think you will see some middling teams sell at the deadline to stealth tank into the top 10.

I’m also not convinced AK will sell everything if we are trending well at the deadline. Lauri could be S&T ala Kennard at the draft.

Lauri can not be traded past the trade deadline, until the start of FA and only in a sign in trade.

His market price will take a little time to play out depending on interested teams priorities.

Return to Chicago Bulls