Image ImageImage Image

OT: Storming of the Capitol/Coup Attempt

Moderators: HomoSapien, fleet, RedBulls23, Ice Man, AshyLarrysDiaper, Tommy Udo 6 , GimmeDat, dougthonus, Payt10, DASMACKDOWN, kulaz3000

User avatar
ozbull
Starter
Posts: 2,344
And1: 112
Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Location: Melbourne - Australia

Re: OT: Storming of the Capitol/Coup Attempt 

Post#1221 » by ozbull » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:47 am

The way Americans talk about their politics and Government, like it's a reality TV show, is beyond parody.

The stupid nicknames, the apathy towards never-ending wars, the inherent idiocy of the constant mimicking of your neo-capitalist, neo-liberal patriotic dribble (we're number one! God Bless America!) and the cheer-leading as the wealth transfer to the corporate-class continues unabated...

It's striking.

It's striking how far gone the country is and the work required to ensure you don't completely f*** the planet for the rest of us as you continue to unravel.

Full credit to Trump - he's opened up politics to an entire legion of morons who once felt (correctly) left out of a system that doesn't give a single ounce of goat **** about them.

He gave a sick, dying & very rich country an extra shot of cyanide to speed up the process.

Having said that, there's only one thing worse than a too-far-gone Trump supporter, complaining about the Mexican takeover and blaming poor people for their problems... and it's the idiots who believe the country's problems start and end with him.

Good luck with the next two weeks.
Mbrahv0528
Starter
Posts: 2,384
And1: 950
Joined: May 19, 2010
       

Re: OT: Storming of the Capitol/Coup Attempt 

Post#1222 » by Mbrahv0528 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:00 am

musiqsoulchild wrote:
dougthonus wrote:


Not clear to me whether or not they can do impeach and remove after he's out of office anyway to enforce any of the penalties.


He can be barred from running from any federal office.
Was just about to say, it absolutely does prevent him from running again and not have any presidential benefits.

Sent from my SM-F707U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
PlayerUp
Veteran
Posts: 2,656
And1: 1,217
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Contact:

Re: OT: Storming of the Capitol/Coup Attempt 

Post#1223 » by PlayerUp » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:32 am

Red8911 wrote:So what was the point of impeaching Trump a week before he leaves office ? To try and hurt his name so he doesn’t run again in 4 years? Why are the Dems so scared of him still even though he lost? They did this whole process super quickly too to do it while he’s still president. Pelosi and the rest of them are such a joke. They have another week, find something else and impeach him again lol who cares !

Trump has the fan base to rerun for president in 4 years if he wants to. The only question is does he want to do this again? He doesn’t need to, he didn’t even need to run in 2016 either but did anyway. If anything his life and business was better before he was president.


Reasons are:

- Payback
- Set an example
- Hurt Trump
- Take away presidential benefits
- Ensure he doesn't run again in 2024
- Please there voter base

As for the senate, it's tough to say how they'll vote if they vote at all but being only 10 GOP in the house voted against Trump, seems unlikely 17 republicans will vote in the senate. It will ultimately come down to McConnell who said he is for voting to impeach the president but hasn't made a decision how he'd vote and would hear all arguments if a trial was to happen in the senate. It's also tough to say if them pushing for a senate trial is really possible. My guess if Chuck is able to actually get a trial here, they will likely not vote against convicting the president because he is out of office and they'll argue this is unconstitutional.

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-donald-trump-impeachments-capitol-siege-mitch-mcconnell-29ca8c7dff7943c3daf2952d4a809097
User avatar
PlayerUp
Veteran
Posts: 2,656
And1: 1,217
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Contact:

Re: OT: Storming of the Capitol/Coup Attempt 

Post#1224 » by PlayerUp » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:36 am

Mbrahv0528 wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
Not clear to me whether or not they can do impeach and remove after he's out of office anyway to enforce any of the penalties.


He can be barred from running from any federal office.
Was just about to say, it absolutely does prevent him from running again and not have any presidential benefits.

Sent from my SM-F707U using RealGM mobile app


No. If you're impeached nothing happens actually. It goes to the senate next. If the senate convicts, then you can't run for public office again and presidential benefits are stripped.

That doesn't however prevent Don Trump Jr, Eric Trump and Ivanka Trump from running.
User avatar
PlayerUp
Veteran
Posts: 2,656
And1: 1,217
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
Contact:

Re: OT: Storming of the Capitol/Coup Attempt 

Post#1225 » by PlayerUp » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:50 am

Texas representative announcing that they intend to draft documents to begin the process to succeed from the union. Stated that based on their research if it pushes forward they're confident that this will pass though it could take some years. If Texas goes, so do 19+ other states and America will be split into 3 parts essentially.
User avatar
LateNight
Senior
Posts: 599
And1: 414
Joined: Jan 14, 2019
 

Re: OT: Storming of the Capitol/Coup Attempt 

Post#1226 » by LateNight » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:08 am

(Deleted)
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
Posts: 29,542
And1: 6,345
Joined: Nov 28, 2005
Location: Chicago

Re: OT: Storming of the Capitol/Coup Attempt 

Post#1227 » by musiqsoulchild » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:12 am

PlayerUp wrote:
Mbrahv0528 wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:
He can be barred from running from any federal office.
Was just about to say, it absolutely does prevent him from running again and not have any presidential benefits.

Sent from my SM-F707U using RealGM mobile app


No. If you're impeached nothing happens actually. It goes to the senate next. If the senate convicts, then you can't run for public office again and presidential benefits are stripped.

That doesn't however prevent Don Trump Jr, Eric Trump and Ivanka Trump from running.


Woo....we are so scared!!!!

It's over.

Trumpism lost.

You'll see the death of other authoritarian regimes around the world soon.
chifan1798
RealGM
Posts: 14,272
And1: 2,542
Joined: Sep 15, 2006
   

Re: OT: Storming of the Capitol/Coup Attempt 

Post#1228 » by chifan1798 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:18 am

ImSlower wrote:Meanwhile, an hour after he was impeached a second time, Trump gave his most presidential speech I've heard him manage. Well, except the last minute when he whined about Twitter. I vehemently think he has damaged our country irrevocably, but at least the fat orange bastard directly and explicitly told his sycophants not to incite more violence this next week.


That’s the same thing that I was thinking. That was the best speech that he has had over the past 4 years. It would have been believable if I didn’t know how he operates, and if he actually showed some type of remorse with his unscripted comments yesterday. Most people won’t fall for it, but if his rabid base believes it, then maybe some of them will try to stay home this time around.
User avatar
Jo Jo English
RealGM
Posts: 15,494
And1: 3,824
Joined: Mar 29, 2007
Location: Vacation
     

Re: OT: Storming of the Capitol/Coup Attempt 

Post#1229 » by Jo Jo English » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:06 am

PlayerUp wrote:Texas representative announcing that they intend to draft documents to begin the process to succeed from the union. Stated that based on their research if it pushes forward they're confident that this will pass though it could take some years. If Texas goes, so do 19+ other states and America will be split into 3 parts essentially.


After reading things like this and seeing what those people did at the Capitol last week I don't think I will ever be able to hear a republican question a democrat's patriotism or call them a "snowflake" again without bursting out in laughter.
Cabbage bulls
Freshman
Posts: 53
And1: 25
Joined: Dec 19, 2020
 

Re: OT: Storming of the Capitol/Coup Attempt 

Post#1230 » by Cabbage bulls » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:41 am

ozbull wrote:The way Americans talk about their politics and Government, like it's a reality TV show, is beyond parody.

The stupid nicknames, the apathy towards never-ending wars, the inherent idiocy of the constant mimicking of your neo-capitalist, neo-liberal patriotic dribble (we're number one! God Bless America!) and the cheer-leading as the wealth transfer to the corporate-class continues unabated...

It's striking.

It's striking how far gone the country is and the work required to ensure you don't completely f*** the planet for the rest of us as you continue to unravel.

Full credit to Trump - he's opened up politics to an entire legion of morons who once felt (correctly) left out of a system that doesn't give a single ounce of goat **** about them.

He gave a sick, dying & very rich country an extra shot of cyanide to speed up the process.

Having said that, there's only one thing worse than a too-far-gone Trump supporter, complaining about the Mexican takeover and blaming poor people for their problems... and it's the idiots who believe the country's problems start and end with him.

Good luck with the next two weeks.

Hey man, the other option for leader of the free world is China. You should be thanking the United States for protecting you.
Dresden
General Manager
Posts: 7,801
And1: 4,120
Joined: Nov 02, 2017
       

Re: OT: Storming of the Capitol/Coup Attempt 

Post#1231 » by Dresden » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:34 am

Cabbage bulls wrote:
ozbull wrote:The way Americans talk about their politics and Government, like it's a reality TV show, is beyond parody.

The stupid nicknames, the apathy towards never-ending wars, the inherent idiocy of the constant mimicking of your neo-capitalist, neo-liberal patriotic dribble (we're number one! God Bless America!) and the cheer-leading as the wealth transfer to the corporate-class continues unabated...

It's striking.

It's striking how far gone the country is and the work required to ensure you don't completely f*** the planet for the rest of us as you continue to unravel.

Full credit to Trump - he's opened up politics to an entire legion of morons who once felt (correctly) left out of a system that doesn't give a single ounce of goat **** about them.

He gave a sick, dying & very rich country an extra shot of cyanide to speed up the process.

Having said that, there's only one thing worse than a too-far-gone Trump supporter, complaining about the Mexican takeover and blaming poor people for their problems... and it's the idiots who believe the country's problems start and end with him.

Good luck with the next two weeks.

Hey man, the other option for leader of the free world is China. You should be thanking the United States for protecting you.


Yeah, because if it wasn't for the USA, China would be invading Australia?
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
Posts: 29,542
And1: 6,345
Joined: Nov 28, 2005
Location: Chicago

Re: OT: Storming of the Capitol/Coup Attempt 

Post#1232 » by musiqsoulchild » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:38 am

PlayerUp wrote:Texas representative announcing that they intend to draft documents to begin the process to succeed from the union. Stated that based on their research if it pushes forward they're confident that this will pass though it could take some years. If Texas goes, so do 19+ other states and America will be split into 3 parts essentially.


Make America Great Again?
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 54,100
And1: 22,616
Joined: Dec 23, 2002
     

Re: OT: Storming of the Capitol/Coup Attempt 

Post#1233 » by fleet » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:53 am

ImSlower wrote:Meanwhile, an hour after he was impeached a second time, Trump gave his most presidential speech I've heard him manage. Well, except the last minute when he whined about Twitter. I vehemently think he has damaged our country irrevocably, but at least the fat orange bastard directly and explicitly told his sycophants not to incite more violence this next week.


Did he? He didn’t tell them the election was legit, nor did he tell them not to have an armed protest for the inauguration. By leaving out the 2 things that actually caused the insurrection, they are on stand by mode imo. Teleprompter Trump is BS and they know it. Unless he says they need to go home because the election was free and fair, he didn’t say anything worth a damn.
Try the Trump Tax Calculator!

JackFinn wrote:I see you're back from a trip at the smarty pants store.
User avatar
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 62,606
And1: 25,202
Joined: Nov 25, 2003
Location: On my high horse.
     

Re: OT: Storming of the Capitol/Coup Attempt 

Post#1234 » by DuckIII » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:09 am

PlayerUp wrote:Texas representative announcing that they intend to draft documents to begin the process to succeed from the union. Stated that based on their research if it pushes forward they're confident that this will pass though it could take some years. If Texas goes, so do 19+ other states and America will be split into 3 parts essentially.


:lol:
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Bullflip
Analyst
Posts: 3,535
And1: 481
Joined: May 29, 2008

Re: OT: Storming of the Capitol/Coup Attempt 

Post#1235 » by Bullflip » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:33 am

PlayerUp wrote:Texas representative announcing that they intend to draft documents to begin the process to succeed from the union. Stated that based on their research if it pushes forward they're confident that this will pass though it could take some years. If Texas goes, so do 19+ other states and America will be split into 3 parts essentially.


Yea, I am sure Texas will like subsidizing all the red states lol. Not to mention, Texas cities have a large Democratic presence.
Dresden
General Manager
Posts: 7,801
And1: 4,120
Joined: Nov 02, 2017
       

Re: OT: Storming of the Capitol/Coup Attempt 

Post#1236 » by Dresden » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:00 pm

Someone on Twitter said: "what could be more Trumpian than this?"

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/trump-wont-pay-rudy-giuliani-election-legal-work-032513094.html
User avatar
mlitney01
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,468
And1: 354
Joined: Jan 30, 2008
Location: End of the Longest Line
   

Re: OT: Storming of the Capitol/Coup Attempt 

Post#1237 » by mlitney01 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:09 pm

Mbrahv0528 wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
Not clear to me whether or not they can do impeach and remove after he's out of office anyway to enforce any of the penalties.


He can be barred from running from any federal office.
Was just about to say, it absolutely does prevent him from running again and not have any presidential benefits.

Sent from my SM-F707U using RealGM mobile app


It absolutely does not prevent him from running again. That requires a completely separate vote by the senate in which a simple majority is required (unlike the 2/3 majority required for impeachment).
_txchilibowl_
Senior
Posts: 739
And1: 543
Joined: Aug 17, 2017
     

Re: OT: Storming of the Capitol/Coup Attempt 

Post#1238 » by _txchilibowl_ » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:15 pm

ozbull wrote:The way Americans talk about their politics and Government, like it's a reality TV show, is beyond parody.

The stupid nicknames, the apathy towards never-ending wars, the inherent idiocy of the constant mimicking of your neo-capitalist, neo-liberal patriotic dribble (we're number one! God Bless America!) and the cheer-leading as the wealth transfer to the corporate-class continues unabated...

It's striking.

It's striking how far gone the country is and the work required to ensure you don't completely f*** the planet for the rest of us as you continue to unravel.

Full credit to Trump - he's opened up politics to an entire legion of morons who once felt (correctly) left out of a system that doesn't give a single ounce of goat **** about them.

He gave a sick, dying & very rich country an extra shot of cyanide to speed up the process.

Having said that, there's only one thing worse than a too-far-gone Trump supporter, complaining about the Mexican takeover and blaming poor people for their problems... and it's the idiots who believe the country's problems start and end with him.

Good luck with the next two weeks.



This is a pretty hot take for someone half way around the globe....

Is America hurting? Yes.

Is it a crumbling republic filled with idiots and no hope? Hardly.
Jimako10
Veteran
Posts: 2,798
And1: 1,103
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
   

Re: OT: Storming of the Capitol/Coup Attempt 

Post#1239 » by Jimako10 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:48 pm

Dresden wrote:Someone on Twitter said: "what could be more Trumpian than this?"

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/trump-wont-pay-rudy-giuliani-election-legal-work-032513094.html


Image
User avatar
TheStig
RealGM
Posts: 13,430
And1: 3,380
Joined: Jun 18, 2004
Location: Get rid of GarPaxDorf

Re: OT: Storming of the Capitol/Coup Attempt 

Post#1240 » by TheStig » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:58 pm

PlayerUp wrote:
Red8911 wrote:So what was the point of impeaching Trump a week before he leaves office ? To try and hurt his name so he doesn’t run again in 4 years? Why are the Dems so scared of him still even though he lost? They did this whole process super quickly too to do it while he’s still president. Pelosi and the rest of them are such a joke. They have another week, find something else and impeach him again lol who cares !

Trump has the fan base to rerun for president in 4 years if he wants to. The only question is does he want to do this again? He doesn’t need to, he didn’t even need to run in 2016 either but did anyway. If anything his life and business was better before he was president.


Reasons are:

- Payback
- Set an example
- Hurt Trump
- Take away presidential benefits
- Ensure he doesn't run again in 2024
- Please there voter base

As for the senate, it's tough to say how they'll vote if they vote at all but being only 10 GOP in the house voted against Trump, seems unlikely 17 republicans will vote in the senate. It will ultimately come down to McConnell who said he is for voting to impeach the president but hasn't made a decision how he'd vote and would hear all arguments if a trial was to happen in the senate. It's also tough to say if them pushing for a senate trial is really possible. My guess if Chuck is able to actually get a trial here, they will likely not vote against convicting the president because he is out of office and they'll argue this is unconstitutional.

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-donald-trump-impeachments-capitol-siege-mitch-mcconnell-29ca8c7dff7943c3daf2952d4a809097

Agreed 1000% this seems much more personal and a way to eliminate the threat for 2024 than it does criminal IMHO. It comes down to if the Republicans think they can withstand a Maga division. Personally, if they ban trump, it'll just be don jr running. I think that part is here to stay.

Return to Chicago Bulls