Image ImageImage Image

THE BULLS OFFENSE THEN AND NOW

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

THE BULLS OFFENSE THEN AND NOW 

Post#1 » by StunnerKO » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:38 pm

FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,051

Re: THE BULLS OFFENSE THEN AND NOW 

Post#2 » by FriedRise » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:05 am

lol @ that video thumbnail

Billy D is gonna raise the value of a lot of our players this year. Keep or trade, everyone's gonna worth something.
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 15,094

Post#3 » by Mk0 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:12 am

Other than mistaking Gafford for Temple and then Carter, Coach Nick continues to nail it.
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,239

Post#4 » by kodo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:26 am

Coach Nick is great, wonderful content.

Offense has improved under Billy no doubt. 12th in efficiency, 6th in PPG. Last year we were 27th/27th.

But the defense has fallen off just as much as the offense improved. 29th in defense this year vs 12th under Boylen. Too many conversations about how Zach couldn't hit game winning shots and not enough about how we shouldn't be letting teams score 130 & 128 on us regularly to be in a situation where Lavine has to bail us out.

In particular, we've gone from being the 4th best team in allowing 3 pointers to the 29th. Any team whose major identity is that they allow opponents to shoot 3's easily has no future in this league. There needs to a major change here. Boylen was a bad coach, but he got far more defense out of an identical crew. Donovan should be able to get at least some average 3P defense out these guys. It's very odd considering he's known more to be a defensive coach.
The Force.
Head Coach
And1: 2,112

Post#5 » by The Force. » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:55 pm

StunnerKO wrote:
kodo wrote:Coach Nick is great, wonderful content.

Offense has improved under Billy no doubt. 12th in efficiency, 6th in PPG. Last year we were 27th/27th.

But the defense has fallen off just as much as the offense improved. 29th in defense this year vs 12th under Boylen. Too many conversations about how Zach couldn't hit game winning shots and not enough about how we shouldn't be letting teams score 130 & 128 on us regularly to be in a situation where Lavine has to bail us out.

In particular, we've gone from being the 4th best team in allowing 3 pointers to the 29th. Any team whose major identity is that they allow opponents to shoot 3's easily has no future in this league. There needs to a major change here. Boylen was a bad coach, but he got far more defense out of an identical crew. Donovan should be able to get at least some average 3P defense out these guys. It's very odd considering he's known more to be a defensive coach.
It doesn't help that Zach and Coby are two of the worst wing defenders in the league. The defensive efficiency jumped significantly with Sato/Hutch/Otto in the backcourt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Fastbrk4brkfast
General Manager
And1: 2,742

Post#6 » by Fastbrk4brkfast » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:41 pm

kodo wrote:Coach Nick is great, wonderful content.

Donovan was saying after the Clips game pne of the biggest needs for improvement he's seen over the west coast trip was defending without fouling. I don't remember if he brought it up but teams are also killing us on offensive rebounding. We've already seen massive improvements - many just from Temple joining the team - so it's reasonable to expect they'll continue to improve. I didn't start liking last year's defense til pretty close to the league stoppage. Boylen gave the players the choice of when to jump the pick and roll, and it took them awhile to get a feel for when to do it. That was coming along when the season stopped. It'll be gradual improvements in different phases of defense. Maybe starting with perimeter d, then transition, interior, etc.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,065

Post#7 » by MrSparkle » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:01 pm

Nick did a good job demonstrating how Boylen basically misused every guy on every play. It was the most blatant disregard for personnel I've ever seen, and we've had some unbelievably s*** coaching the last 20 years. Even his rotations were stupid, even with injuries. It wasn't until the team had so many injuries that Boylen was forced to play 8 guys, where I felt the subs weren't preposterous.

Worst Bulls head coach ever, and that's special. I hated them, but still preferred hands-off Hoiberg and VDN, and Robocop Skiles. Can't remember the finer details of Tim Floyd, but I feel like the entire organization was a top-down mess at that point. Boylen was handed a young offensive roster with poor athleticism, and made them burn their legs on a defensive gimmick. I think what made him the worst was he was actually trying to win games by demanding 110% effort, and simultaneously trying to make some coaching points to the guys with his timeouts. And then he was saying the team needs to play with even more energy and effort. Definition of ramming your head into a wall with no helmet, and trying to do the same thing every day, and wondering why can't you break through the wall.
R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,314

Post#8 » by R3AL1TY » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:38 pm

Too bad Billy wasn't the coach this whole time with Boylen being the defensive assistant.
mtron32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,997

Post#9 » by mtron32 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:57 pm

I'm loving the offense, now I just need to see that defense tighten up

Return to Chicago Bulls