Image ImageImage Image

Lonzo Ball Thread (UPDATE: Bulls Offer Sato + 2nd Round picks)

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

CobyWhite0
Rookie
And1: 819

Re: Bulls interested in trading for Lonzo? 

Post#121 » by CobyWhite0 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:05 am

DuckIII wrote:
CobyWhite0 wrote:I caught about 1/2 of the Kings/Magic game tonight, and Haliburton did not look good at all.

30 min
7 pts
2 reb
7 ast
2 to
3/11 fg
1/4 3's
0 fta
.318 ts%
On court: -8, 30 min
Off court: +22, 18 min

Yeah, well, one game sample size aside, he is damn good and I wish like crazy we had him or a guy very similar to him. He brings more or less exactly what we need on this team. I’d trade quite a bit right now to get him to pair with Zach and Willy as core players going forward, but no way Sacto is moving him.

But that doesn’t have anything to do with Lonzo Ball so he never should have been part of the discussion to begin with.

Tonight was the first time I've seen him play except when we played them, and he didn't look good tonight. It was the complete opposite of when we played them, he looked amazing that night.

I just have a complete lack of any eye test sample size to say independently that he's damn good. But based on the two games I've seen him play, his very impressive rookie numbers seem to indicate that his level of play is much closer to our game than tonight's.

I'm generally not one to judge players based solely on their stats, or based on the first month of their rookie season - but put a gun to my head and make me judge him right now, he certainly looks as if he's got some All-Star appearances in his future. He has the shot, size, height, length and speed to be a superstar, that's for sure.

And yeah, I don't know why anyone brought up Haliburton in a Lonzo thread, but I don't make the rules so...
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,437

Post#122 » by fleet » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:07 am

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:Sato and a 2nd is the play here.

Some of these other offers are wild, for an underachieving player who is on an expiring deal. If you’re gonna give up something of value, then you sure as hell better be ready to sign him in the offseason. And guess what, him and his agent will know it. See Tobias Harris.

I would guess a multi-team bidding war would cause the Bulls to have to throw in Hutch on top.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
The Force.
Head Coach
And1: 2,112

Post#123 » by The Force. » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:47 am

Just please no FRPs

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Threekola
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#124 » by Threekola » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:57 am

TheSuzerain wrote:
Threekola wrote:I'd give a protected first for him and give it a shot. (Maybe top-20 protected this year, then top 10, then top 5, or something like that.) Seeming to me like the quickest way to improve the team may be signing a solid point guard to run the first unit, then letting Coby be a sixth man who gets a ton of shots off the bench. Had in mind singing an old point guard this offseason, but would be interesting to see what this would look like on the court.

No way is he worth that.

You realize we can sign Lonzo for cap space this coming offseason right?

If you can get him for less obviously I'd sign up for that, I don't really know what his market is. But, I'd prefer to get an audition and see what it looks like this year before making a long term commitment.
CobyWhite0
Rookie
And1: 819

Post#125 » by CobyWhite0 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:35 am

Threekola wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
Threekola wrote:I'd give a protected first for him and give it a shot. (Maybe top-20 protected this year, then top 10, then top 5, or something like that.) Seeming to me like the quickest way to improve the team may be signing a solid point guard to run the first unit, then letting Coby be a sixth man who gets a ton of shots off the bench. Had in mind singing an old point guard this offseason, but would be interesting to see what this would look like on the court.

No way is he worth that.

You realize we can sign Lonzo for cap space this coming offseason right?

If you can get him for less obviously I'd sign up for that, I don't really know what his market is. But, I'd prefer to get an audition and see what it looks like this year before making a long term commitment.

Obviously we'd be looking to give up as little as possible in any trade, but if AKME thinks Lonzo is their long-term PG, they'd be crazy not to give up a lottery-protected 1st for him.

Trading for him now obviously means we would have his Bird Rights, which gives us a huge leg up when it comes to re-signing him this summer.

Which is very important when we try to re-sign him this summer, obviously.

"You realize we can sign Lonzo for cap space this coming offseason right?" is a disingenuous statement that IMO borders on trolling. As I'm sure most everyone on this board knows, we absolutely cannot simply "sign Lonzo for cap space" this summer. I'm also pretty sure most everyone here knows what RESTRICTED Free Agency means... it means we 100% cannot "sign Lonzo for cap space".

If he were UNRESTRICTED, then yeah we could just sign him with cap space. But those damn pesky matching rights mean that we could only sign Lonzo to an Offer Sheet, which (obviously) mean the Pels can match that offer sheet.
Onibuh
Senior
And1: 217

Post#126 » by Onibuh » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:03 am

Wouldn't trade for him thinking he is the longterm PG. It's about getting a missing player type at PG and testing him out before signing him as Free Agent (if thats what they want). If they want a FRP or something of value, it's a "no thank you".
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#127 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:54 am

Pelicans now shopping Lonzo and Bledsoe??
Thats weird..
BullChit
Head Coach
And1: 3,707

Post#128 » by BullChit » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:45 am

fleet wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:Sato and a 2nd is the play here.

Some of these other offers are wild, for an underachieving player who is on an expiring deal. If you’re gonna give up something of value, then you sure as hell better be ready to sign him in the offseason. And guess what, him and his agent will know it. See Tobias Harris.

I would guess a multi-team bidding war would cause the Bulls to have to throw in Hutch on top.

Totally off topic but I'm using the website for the first time in a long while and saw your signature and had a rush of JackFinn memories hit me haha, is he still with us here?
eMar arnell eRozen... The "D" stands for "Defence"
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,648

Post#129 » by DuckIII » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:05 am

PrimzyBulls81 wrote:Pelicans now shopping Lonzo and Bledsoe??
Thats weird..

Soft tank, cap and they want to develop Lewis and NAW.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#130 » by DroseReturnChi » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:17 am

Onibuh wrote:Wouldn't trade for him thinking he is the longterm PG. It's about getting a missing player type at PG and testing him out before signing him as Free Agent (if thats what they want). If they want a FRP or something of value, it's a "no thank you".

which is why you trade white bc he was a former lottery pick but hes garbage instead of trading an actual 2021 pick.
his price is low to the point you need to bid high enough to get him and teams wont throw 20mil with his recent performance.
The question is do you keep White and throw 20 at him or do you trade and keep at less than 15?
White doesnt even provide 10mil performance as of now its better to get rid of him.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
DJhitek
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,354

Post#131 » by DJhitek » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:18 am

I’d trade for Ball, but only a second rounder or something. I wouldn’t even trade White for him and I’m not even a fan of Whites game. Lonzo’s size and defensively capabilities would be instant upgrades.
BullChit
Head Coach
And1: 3,707

Post#132 » by BullChit » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:31 am

DroseReturnChi wrote:
Onibuh wrote:Wouldn't trade for him thinking he is the longterm PG. It's about getting a missing player type at PG and testing him out before signing him as Free Agent (if thats what they want). If they want a FRP or something of value, it's a "no thank you".

which is why you trade white bc he was a former lottery pick but hes garbage instead of trading an actual 2021 pick.
his price is low to the point you need to bid high enough to get him and teams wont throw 20mil with his recent performance.
The question is do you keep White and throw 20 at him or do you trade and keep at less than 15?
White doesnt even provide 10mil performance as of now its better to get rid of him.
Question is who could potentially help the draft position more? Coby "still learning to be a point guard" White or Lonzo "if he is bad Lonzo as opposed to marginally better than when he was a Laker" Ball?

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
eMar arnell eRozen... The "D" stands for "Defence"
Onibuh
Senior
And1: 217

Post#133 » by Onibuh » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:03 pm

DroseReturnChi wrote:

what a stupid take....

you don't trade Coby. You only trade stuff you don't need without any value for the project that is Lonzo going to be.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,437

Post#134 » by fleet » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:13 pm

DJhitek wrote:I’d trade for Ball, but only a second rounder or something. I wouldn’t even trade White for him and I’m not even a fan of Whites game. Lonzo’s size and defensively capabilities would be instant upgrades.

The starters lack perimeter D. It is less about White V Lonzo, more about what the starters lack. They need to get bailed out every night by the bench. Lonzo probably compliments the starters better. What shooting he lacks that you lost from Coby could partially be made up by getting a better shooter in Pat, and others better and more shots to take. Provided Billy can adjust some of the spacing lost with Lonzo.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,757

Post#135 » by dougthonus » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:55 pm

CobyWhite0 wrote:If he were UNRESTRICTED, then yeah we could just sign him with cap space. But those damn pesky matching rights mean that we could only sign Lonzo to an Offer Sheet, which (obviously) mean the Pels can match that offer sheet.

If the Pels don't trade him, it seems highly unlikely they'd match an offer on him in the summer as they don't seem to want to move with him going forward which makes sense since he's not a shooter and their star player is also not a shooter. He's a really poor fit there.

If the Pels do trade him, it feels much more likely the team acquiring him will have some interest in keeping him, especially if they gave up a good asset to get him.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
bpguimaraes23
Junior
And1: 317

Post#136 » by bpguimaraes23 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:00 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:What would even make Coby White a good 6th man?

He doesn't even give you efficient scoring since he never gets to the line.

Playing against second units maybe? I feel that's one of the reasons why the vets are looking this good.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#137 » by Indomitable » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:58 pm

dougthonus wrote:
CobyWhite0 wrote:If he were UNRESTRICTED, then yeah we could just sign him with cap space. But those damn pesky matching rights mean that we could only sign Lonzo to an Offer Sheet, which (obviously) mean the Pels can match that offer sheet.

If the Pels don't trade him, it seems highly unlikely they'd match an offer on him in the summer as they don't seem to want to move with him going forward which makes sense since he's not a shooter and their star player is also not a shooter. He's a really poor fit there.

If the Pels do trade him, it feels much more likely the team acquiring him will have some interest in keeping him, especially if they gave up a good asset to get him.

He raises the floor of the first. Plus, we can slow down on turnovers.
:banghead:
LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,452

Post#138 » by LateNight » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:30 pm

Indomitable wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

He raises the floor of the first. Plus, we can slow down on turnovers

Coby is averaging 2.7 turnovers and Lonzo is 2.4. I think they are happening for different reasons, but I don’t know if it improves that as much as we’d think. It does get the ball out of Zach’s hands a bit more so it might cut down his turnovers slightly
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#139 » by Indomitable » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:33 pm

LateNight wrote:
Indomitable wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

He raises the floor of the first. Plus, we can slow down on turnovers

Coby is averaging 2.7 turnovers and Lonzo is 2.4. I think they are happening for different reasons, but I don’t know if it improves that as much as we’d think. It does get the ball out of Zach’s hands a bit more so it might cut down his turnovers slightly

Coby was trash which is why Zach started getting the ball more.

Coby struggles against any pressure. He is a bad pg. If we can get someone who can read a defense. I am all for it.
:banghead:
LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,452

Post#140 » by LateNight » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:41 pm

Indomitable wrote:
LateNight wrote:
Indomitable wrote:He raises the floor of the first. Plus, we can slow down on turnovers

Coby was trash which is why Zach started getting the ball more.

Coby struggles against any pressure. He is a bad pg. If we can get someone who can read a defense. I am all for it.

I'm not against trading for him -- I actually would love it (as long as we don't give up too much). I think the defense will bring up the floor -- but it might not fix the turnover issue.

Return to Chicago Bulls