Image ImageImage Image

Lonzo Ball Thread (UPDATE: Bulls Offer Sato + 2nd Round picks)

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

othawhitemeat
Veteran
And1: 751

Re: Bulls interested in trading for Lonzo? 

Post#81 » by othawhitemeat » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:24 pm

MGB8 wrote:Speaking of trading with the Pels... a more interesting idea, that I don't think I'd do, but I'd have to think about, would be LaVine for Ingram, straight up.

Now, would Ingram conflict with Pat Williams in the same way that he and Zion don't quite compliment each other (which is why LaVine might be more appealing for New Orleans)? Maybe

Am I comfortable with Ingram's injury history - along with the post-rookie Max money? No.

Does Lavine likely have more upside even at just under 26 years old than Ingram at 23.5 - just due to his natural athleticism? Yes.

But give the impending free agency situation, should the Bulls think long and hard about that kind of move (unless LaVine is willing to take a slight discount via an extension in the very near future)? Probably.

Given the 2 contracts, I would hope Pelicans would throw in a small sweetener for this trade. To me Lavine is better offensively. Pat Williams/Ingram compliment each other well I think because of positionless basketball and both can shoot better than Zion which creates a little bit of the issues. Williams does not need the ball to be effective either while off the ball, Zion is only a threat in terms of rebounding.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,316

Post#82 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:28 pm

:droop: Lonzo would be terrible.

There’s a reason NO wants to move him - they have a stud in waiting named Kira Lewis!!!

Coby White PG for the year - just grin and bear it, he’ll be better off for it in the long run.

Draft your playmaker this upcoming draft.

Scottie Barnes.... :droop:
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
Kukoc-Lauri
Bench Warmer
And1: 414

Post#83 » by Kukoc-Lauri » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:30 pm

Ball is better fit with Lavine,Mark,Carter then White like 50 times. I dont think Lonzo is future all star but he could have G.Hill type of career solid pg starter for many teams. In other hand imo White already hit his celling and his value is continue to deacrease with every season. I would do straight swap. If Lonzo flops with Bulls you freeing White salary 7-9 mil next year. You always can find fringe starting guard like Payton,Burks,Rose,Morris for that money. In couple of years White would be free agent available for 3 mil like Rivers, Jeff Teague,Brad Wannamaker type of signing. Better cut the ties while he is still labeled as ex number 7 pick.
Threekola
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#84 » by Threekola » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:34 pm

I'd give a protected first for him and give it a shot. (Maybe top-20 protected this year, then top 10, then top 5, or something like that.) Seeming to me like the quickest way to improve the team may be signing a solid point guard to run the first unit, then letting Coby be a sixth man who gets a ton of shots off the bench. Had in mind singing an old point guard this offseason, but would be interesting to see what this would look like on the court.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,724

Post#85 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:39 pm

Threekola wrote:I'd give a protected first for him and give it a shot. (Maybe top-20 protected this year, then top 10, then top 5, or something like that.) Seeming to me like the quickest way to improve the team may be signing a solid point guard to run the first unit, then letting Coby be a sixth man who gets a ton of shots off the bench. Had in mind singing an old point guard this offseason, but would be interesting to see what this would look like on the court.

No way is he worth that.

You realize we can sign Lonzo for cap space this coming offseason right?
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,328

Post#86 » by pipfan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:43 pm

If he comes cheap, you do it. He clearly has talent-maybe we get lucky
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,615

Post#87 » by sco » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:01 pm

:clap:
gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#88 » by gobullschi » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:21 pm

sco wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/sports/five-trades-orleans-pelicans-lonzo-070736418.html

I would be SHOCKED if NO could get a 1st for Lonzo.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,571
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#89 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:22 pm

Kukoc-Lauri wrote: In other hand imo White already hit his celling and his value is continue to deacrease with every season. I would do straight swap.

I got to this sentence and immediately knew that I didn't need to read any more. The 20-year-old, 2nd year player, 1st time PG, has already hit his ceiling? Really?
CobyWhite0
Rookie
And1: 819

Post#90 » by CobyWhite0 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:36 pm

mlitney01 wrote:
Kukoc-Lauri wrote: In other hand imo White already hit his celling and his value is continue to deacrease with every season. I would do straight swap.

I got to this sentence and immediately knew that I didn't need to read any more. The 20-year-old, 2nd year player, 1st time PG, has already hit his ceiling? Really?

Yeah, you quoted a person that I already had blocked... and the 2 sentences you quoted would be Exhibit A.

And like you said, after reading those 2 sentences, I don't need to read anything else that person writes.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,344

Post#91 » by jnrjr79 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:58 pm

LateNight wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:What about Thad and a 2nd for Lonzo? You're giving up a guy who won't likely be around next year, but you get off his partially guaranteed 3rd year just in case. Then you can get a look at Lonzo and sign him if you like what you see or have slightly enhanced cap space next season if you let him walk.

Thad has more value than Lonzo right now (on our team and as a trade asset). In fact, I think most of the pieces we would be trading have more value than Zo.

Someone pointed out that it feels like you'd need a 3 team trade to make this work functionally, and that's probably right.

Thad only has more value as a trade asset if the Bulls will otherwise trade him. I definitely agree he's a better player than Lonzo, but the idea here is to get a free look at Lonzo while simultaneously getting off of Thad's partial guarantee for next year. I have to assume the Bulls would like to be rid of that partial guarantee to free up cap space.

If the Bulls care a lot about wins this year, then sure, this would be a move backwards. I'm not sure they do, though (or should).
Kukoc-Lauri
Bench Warmer
And1: 414

Post#92 » by Kukoc-Lauri » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:22 pm

Coby White is the worst starting point guard in the Nba so far. Any person who thinks that he is become better point guard by letting him play through his mistakes is wrong. He is physically limited and lack of basic fundamentals and talent to run Nba team. Third stringers point guards that are better than White, just to name a few: Anfernee Simmons,Jalen Brunson/Trey Burke, Casius Winston, Corey Joseph,Tuys Jones, Matthew Delladova, Tremont Waters,Kira Lewis,Frank Nikitlina. I would rather have every single player above mentioned before White to run my team and to defend guards from other team.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,373

Post#93 » by DuckIII » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:23 pm

gobullschi wrote:
sco wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/sports/five-trades-orleans-pelicans-lonzo-070736418.html

I would not be if it’s heavily protected before converting to multiple 2nd rounders.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,017

Post#94 » by FriedRise » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:27 pm

I’d do this.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,373

Post#95 » by DuckIII » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:28 pm

Kukoc-Lauri wrote:Coby White is the worst starting point guard in the Nba so far. Any person who thinks that he is become better point guard by letting him play through his mistakes is wrong. He is physically limited and lack of basic fundamentals and talent to run Nba team. Third stringers point guards that are better than White, just to name a few: Anfernee Simmons,Jalen Brunson/Trey Burke, Casius Winston, Corey Joseph,Tuys Jones, Matthew Delladova, Tremont Waters,Kira Lewis,Frank Nikitlina. I would rather have every single player above mentioned before White to run my team and to defend guards from other team.

Even if I were to agree with this, in theory, it does not mean you just trade him for Lonzo Ball. Because he has all the tools to be a 6th man combo guard. Specifically one who could benefit from playing WITH Ball.

Given his youth, potential, and low cost multi-year contract, it would be monumentally stupid to trade him for Ball for all these reasons, plus given that Ball can walk as a free agent in a few months.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,724

Post#96 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:51 pm

What would even make Coby White a good 6th man?

He doesn't even give you efficient scoring since he never gets to the line.
LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,447

Post#97 » by LateNight » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:59 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
LateNight wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:What about Thad and a 2nd for Lonzo? You're giving up a guy who won't likely be around next year, but you get off his partially guaranteed 3rd year just in case. Then you can get a look at Lonzo and sign him if you like what you see or have slightly enhanced cap space next season if you let him walk.

Thad has more value than Lonzo right now (on our team and as a trade asset). In fact, I think most of the pieces we would be trading have more value than Zo.

Someone pointed out that it feels like you'd need a 3 team trade to make this work functionally, and that's probably right.

Thad only has more value as a trade asset if the Bulls will otherwise trade him. I definitely agree he's a better player than Lonzo, but the idea here is to get a free look at Lonzo while simultaneously getting off of Thad's partial guarantee for next year. I have to assume the Bulls would like to be rid of that partial guarantee to free up cap space.

If the Bulls care a lot about wins this year, then sure, this would be a move backwards. I'm not sure they do, though (or should).

I'm guessing I value Thad differently than you do. I am not looking to move on from Thad just to move on from him.

I think he is a valuable piece as role model. He's a good influence, solid teammate, and he's keeping us in games. I think rookies develop better when they are in a good culture, and right now we need veterans to help establish that culture. All these teams that seem to find gems -- people underestimate how much impact their teammates have on that. Coming in to a program that demands you compete every night and players that exemplify it in practice and on the court.

So - while I'm fine with trading Thad for real value - I think he's better than this deal. And I'm definitely not throwing in picks to make it happen
gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#98 » by gobullschi » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:31 pm

DuckIII wrote:
gobullschi wrote:

I would not be if it’s heavily protected before converting to multiple 2nd rounders.

Lol. Ok you got me.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,615

Post#99 » by sco » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:33 pm

LateNight wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
LateNight wrote:

I'm guessing I value Thad differently than you do. I am not looking to move on from Thad just to move on from him.

I think he is a valuable piece as role model. He's a good influence, solid teammate, and he's keeping us in games. I think rookies develop better when they are in a good culture, and right now we need veterans to help establish that culture. All these teams that seem to find gems -- people underestimate how much impact their teammates have on that. Coming in to a program that demands you compete every night and exemplify it in practice and on the court.

So - while I'm fine with trading Thad for real value - I think he's better than this deal. And I'm definitely not throwing in picks to make it happen

Thad has value to me right now because he's playing at level that won't kill you if he's your starting PF, and he's under contract for next season - which gives the FO the ability to trade Lauri and not leave the cupboard bear at PF.
:clap:
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,132

Post#100 » by HomoSapien » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:38 pm

Let's not jump off the Coby White train just yet. Obviously we're still figuring out if he's a future CJ McCollum/Jamal Murray type of guard or if he's more of a Jason Terry/Jamal Crawford. Obviously, either type of player holds tremendous value (as long as he can become a more consistent shooter). One mistake with his development, IMO, is that we don't have a veteran point guard to teach him the ropes. I'm sure Mo Cheeks has been in his ear, but I wish we had a DJ Augustin/Rajon Rondo type of guy to show him how to run an offense.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.

Return to Chicago Bulls