Image ImageImage Image

POLL: Playoffs or Tank?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

How should the Bulls FO proceed for the remainder of this season?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:29 pm

Buy at the deadline and shoot for the playoffs
43%
Stand pat at the deadline and win as many games as possible with the current team
31%
Stand pat at the deadline and strategically tank (rest, prolonged "injuries," etc)
1%
Sell all non-core players and play the lotto game
25%

Total votes: 81

FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Re: POLL: Playoffs or Tank? 

Post#61 » by FriedRise » Tue Mar 2, 2021 3:49 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

So based on AK's comments yesterday, I don't think we're gonna be seeing much in terms of roster movement. With so many teams in the playoffs hunt (only 4 games separating 4th seed to 10th seed) and the play-in tournament style going all the way to #10 seed, all these teams are gonna be looking to take a crack at the playoffs rather than selling at the deadline.

I don't wanna go back to tanking because I just like winning games even in the short term (it makes me happy), but I have to admit that the intrigue is there from the economic standpoint. If you're gonna be one of the few sellers in a heavily buyer's market, that's a really intriguing place to be in because you can get into a bidding game with some of these teams who think (or are delusional enough to think) that they're just one/two pieces away from making a splash.

We all know that the lottery odds have been flattened that a team with the 8th worst record can have a shot at the #1 pick (Zion to Pelicans). We also are seeing the East is super wide open without LeBron and any one team dominating the conference that it just makes complete sense to believe if a couple moves can get you a second round/ECF appearance. If Jimmy Butler and a bunch of rookie shooters can make it to the NBA Finals, you have to believe that your team can too.

These buyers will open up their wallet.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#62 » by sco » Tue Mar 2, 2021 4:12 pm

There is no Lebron/KD this season to risk tanking for. Short of a transcendent player, the odds don't warrant tanking. If/when the one-and-done rule goes, I think that tanking will be even less useful because teams will be truly unable to accurately rank HS guys and college seniors, and the first round will become a crap shoot.
:clap:
CaPiTanAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 435

Post#63 » by CaPiTanAK » Tue Mar 2, 2021 4:36 pm

You sell in a seller market and buy in a buyer market.

We are not an innovative franchise nor will we ever be. We are the type to overpay for trash in a seller market and sell for pennies on the dollar in a buyer market.

AK = Pax Jr

Nothing has changed. Reinsdorf mom and pop profit scheme still trumps all, not winning.
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,903

Post#64 » by weneeda2guard » Tue Mar 2, 2021 4:55 pm

I dont think it's a decision that can be made right now. I think it's what the market dictates and what other teams are willing to do. Honestly if we don't make any moves we won't have to worry about the answer we won't have enough to win anyway. Wont be tanking. We just won't have enough.

But also we have to factor in our future cap space in any deals. We can't lock ourselves into a roster only good enough to be a low playoff seed with very little money left. So I'm not willing to trade for some major mediocre contract i.e Harrison Barnes or Blake griffin. Drummond would be okay because his money falls off this off season. It's not worth it to add those major contracts just for picks in the late teens or 20s. We don't need to spend millions to draft the next Chandler Hutchison. And no team is going to give us any potential lottery picks to shed salary. So that move makes no sense.

So that leaves making some small additions. What pgs are available in trade for small money? What bigs are available for small money? What will we have to give up to get them?

I'm bracing myself for a slow trade deadline and falling in the standings. We give effort we will win a few games but we just don't have the depth and we have too many holes, no pg , lack of bigs to compete with the other teams in the East. Lavine will pull out a few wins himself but as long as teams can keep doubling him and we can't make them pay for that we can expect more loses especially against the playoff teams of the east.
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#65 » by DroseReturnChi » Tue Mar 2, 2021 5:11 pm

I would definitely try to sell carter, white for picks and tank. Getting rid of Lavine also raises the chance of getting Cade but it can be done w/o trading him.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
gardenofsound
Starter
And1: 1,780

Post#66 » by gardenofsound » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:14 pm

We’re currently at...

46% Buy at deadline/go for playoffs
32% Stand pat but try to win as much as possible
1% Strategically tank
21% Sell/play the lotto

About 3 weeks later as we close in on the deadline... anyone want to revise your vote? I’m interested in how opinions have changed (if at all).
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,589

Post#67 » by Ice Man » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:00 pm

DroseReturnChi wrote:I would definitely try to sell carter, white for picks and tank.

Only contenders sell picks, and contenders don't want Wendell and Coby. They want guys who are good now. They want Thad.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#68 » by ZOMG » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:09 pm

Ice Man wrote:
DroseReturnChi wrote:I would definitely try to sell carter, white for picks and tank.

Only contenders sell picks, and contenders don't want Wendell and Coby. They want guys who are good now. They want Thad.

In no way, shape or form would Thad Young bring back a FRP. That's a ridiculous pipe dream.
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,696

Post#69 » by SfBull » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:53 pm

Ice Man wrote:

But they could want Porter.He could be useful playing of the bench for a contender( if healthy which is his greatest question mark).But I believe AK won´t do nothing at the deadline ,he´ll likely keep the roster intact looking for winning as many games as possible for a complete evaluation of these players.The good news are that he isn´t linked with failed draft picks like Wendell or Coby or to the Butler´s trade bringing out Lauri .So he´s in a good position for fixing the Bulls.

Return to Chicago Bulls