Image ImageImage Image

PG: Bulls Lose

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Hugi Mancura
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Re: PG: Bulls Lose 

Post#41 » by Hugi Mancura » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:01 am

This was two different teams. One that is leading the NBA and another who is under .500 and it showed. Utah was much better. Bulls couldn't create open shots, while on the other end there were way more open shots. Bulls didn't shoot badly only because they had a bad night (it affected), but they mostly shot badly because all the shots were contested and difficult. Utah is really good defensive team on the perimeter and under the basket. Their defenses goal is to force players away from 3 point shot and direct offensive players to the lap of Gobert. Bulls pretty much did was Utah asked them to do. 1 block away from triple double for Gobert. If other team is shooting contested shots while the other is taking wide open shots, the team taking wide open shots will win, no matter who the players in teams are.

Other thing that caught mine eye was the rotations. Utah never play without a starter on the court. When Bulls plays with their bench players they are not playing only against Utah bench players. They are playing against Gobert and Conley with bench guys. Utah bench is also damn good.

In the end: Better individuals, better team play and better coaching.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,947
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#42 » by MalagaBulls » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:04 am

I caught 1 or 2 shots of Zach's frustration. If he bolts I wouldn't blame him.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#43 » by ZOMG » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:13 am

MalagaBulls wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:Another horrendous pile of slop. As noted we were up 23-20 with 3:05 left in Q1. Then the wheels fell off completely again and the Jazz smothered us with a 19-0 run. No offense until 3:15 had gone by in Q2.
This has happened 4-5 times already (or maybe more). Lack of talent.

Lack of talent, yes, but it's much more about horrible rotations.

You benched Coby and Wendell. Now play them like bench players.
But isn't that kind of a problem that is created by a lack of talent? You sub in lack of talent from the 2nd unit to replace the lack of talent on the 1st unit.

The 1st unit is not the problem.

We can't have these scrub-only lineups out there for this long. Period.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#44 » by Dominator83 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:33 am

MalagaBulls wrote:
ZOMG wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:Another horrendous pile of slop. As noted we were up 23-20 with 3:05 left in Q1. Then the wheels fell off completely again and the Jazz smothered us with a 19-0 run. No offense until 3:15 had gone by in Q2.
This has happened 4-5 times already (or maybe more). Lack of talent.

Lack of talent, yes, but it's much more about horrible rotations.

You benched Coby and Wendell. Now play them like bench players.
But isn't that kind of a problem that is created by a lack of talent? You sub in lack of talent from the 2nd unit to replace the lack of talent on the 1st unit.

Exactly. Theres no such thing as a good rotation with this awful team.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Threekola
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#45 » by Threekola » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:37 am

MalagaBulls wrote:I caught 1 or 2 shots of Zach's frustration. If he bolts I wouldn't blame him.

This is why we’re in kind of a tough spot. Burn it down for assets and you probably lose by far your best asset sooner rather than later.
dukeespn
Senior
And1: 506

Post#46 » by dukeespn » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:19 am

Threekola wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:I caught 1 or 2 shots of Zach's frustration. If he bolts I wouldn't blame him.

This is why we’re in kind of a tough spot. Burn it down for assets and you probably lose by far your best asset sooner rather than later.

Spot on.

There's no guarantee if Zach LaVine, who will be an unrestricted free agant next summer, will resign with the Bulls. Especially after he steps up this year there'll be tons of teams which gladly give young all-star maximum contract. He definitely wants to win as many games as possible right now so trading away our reliable vets can make him unhappy.

But at the same time the Bulls should seek to gather future assets since they aren't going far in the playoffs even if they make it.

Young players such as Wendell & Coby are benched and they're still struggling. I like our rookie but PatWill still needs some time to develop. Also it is disappointing to see Lauri play poorly against good teams all the time. If your second best player is 32-year-old Thad you should consider to blow up the roster.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#47 » by bearadonisdna » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:05 am

Lauri has 2 more years as a RFA.
Yes he is easily worth the qualifying offer 9 mil.

Sato and thad are guaranteed 24 mil combined next season, i think you unload these guys right now.
Buyout market guys will you similar production to end the season.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,309

Post#48 » by coldfish » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:11 am

Zach has been showing his frustration for about a month or so. I think people really take this lightly when they shouldn't. Is it enough for him to turn down a max extension? I have no idea.

Regardless, I have barely watched the last two games. This team just doesn't have it and they aren't going to get it. I'm now on the "soft tank" bandwagon even if it does piss off Zach. Why?
- Zach is already pissed
- A playoff appearance isn't going to teach Coby, Wendell and Lauri anything.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by MalagaBulls » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:15 am

coldfish wrote:

Zach has been showing his frustration for about a month or so. I think people really take this lightly when they shouldn't. Is it enough for him to turn down a max extension? I have no idea.

Regardless, I have barely watched the last two games. This team just doesn't have it and they aren't going to get it. I'm now on the "soft tank" bandwagon even if it does piss off Zach. Why?
- Zach is already pissed

Yup, 100% spot on. I have been on the "build around Zach" bandwagon for a couple of months but it makes no sense to put any credibility into that idea if there is nothing to build around him with. And the longer it festers and the team truggles just makes it harder to get the value you would get now. I´m not saying trade him but you can´t take that off the table now. Especially with this last run of games. What good is barely squeaking in and then being a 1 & done treadmill team.
I´m glad I´m not AK.
TallDude
Junior
And1: 140

Post#50 » by TallDude » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:36 am

ZOMG wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:When Zach sat down, Lauri and Sato needed to be on the court. You can't watch 6 bench players (counting the Kornet substitution) go -19. The starters and first rotation were competing and up by 3.

It is complete insanity. Criminal. Blatant sabotage. If I am any of the starters I am looking right at the head coach.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

1000 x this.

Zach was allready tired against Detroit. Even 100 minutes of Zach we would lost. He would just get more tired. Zach was ok today but not good. I think they actually did rest some guys because next game is ”must win” again. I did not watch because i know we lost and wanted to sleep hole night. Next one i will watch.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#51 » by FriedRise » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:34 am

Wouldn’t take too much from this game.

First, it was a back to back and the 3rd game in 4 nights. Second, we also know how bad our bench has been since the shakeup. Our second unit was going up against players who would’ve been starters on most other teams (Clarkson, Ingles, Favors).

It’s easy to predict why we’d get pounced.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,600

Post#52 » by Ice Man » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:38 am

beeshma wrote:Bulls lost because Jazz are better. Donovan Mitchell, Mike Conley, Gobert, Ingles, Bogdonavic. Those are all proven playoff performers. Bulls don't have a single proven playoff performer.

The Bulls don't have anybody who will be an NBA starter in 4 years, except LaVine and maybe PWill. Same as the Three Alpha squad. Nobody from that team is currently an NBA starter except Butler. It was obvious that the Bulls had no real team that year, just Butler and support. It's equally obvious that the Bulls this year have no real team, just LaVine and support.

We're in exactly the same place as 2017. One player to build around, and in slightly over one year he will expect a max contract.
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#53 » by bearadonisdna » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:59 am

Ice Man wrote:
beeshma wrote:Bulls lost because Jazz are better. Donovan Mitchell, Mike Conley, Gobert, Ingles, Bogdonavic. Those are all proven playoff performers. Bulls don't have a single proven playoff performer.

The Bulls don't have anybody who will be an NBA starter in 4 years, except LaVine and maybe PWill. Same as the Three Alpha squad. Nobody from that team is currently an NBA starter except Butler. It was obvious that the Bulls had no real team that year, just Butler and support. It's equally obvious that the Bulls this year have no real team, just LaVine and support.

We're in exactly the same place as 2017. One player to build around, and in slightly over one year he will expect a max contract.

Which is why we can afford to cut the fat on guys like thad and sato.

for a rebuild the bulls are in the right direction.

wcj- 7th pick 6.9m
Lauri-7th pick RFA QO 9m
PWill -4th pick 7.4m

1. Zach - Star player 19.5m
2. Cobe -7th pick 5.8m

--------------------
The foundation is there. That is what rebuild is.
Now you have very little guaranteed money outside of rookie scale. Pretty much zach only guy making real money.

The ballpark total on that is 48.5m . The cap is 109m. Gives us almost 60m in FA while already having a lineup that can push for this years playoffs, already 1 star and stocked with draft picks.
The luxury tax threshold is 132m giving even more millions for roster construction.

We can dig deeper by looking at FAs. Conley, Drummond, Derozan, oladipo, lowry. you might be able sign 3 of these guys for 20m a year. lol.

----------------
oh yea it doesnt even have to be a tank. You can ship sato and young for expirings but that will play.
etc elfrid payton. Just keep otto to help with season and maybe he comes back on a team friendly deal.
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#54 » by bearadonisdna » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:07 pm

hypothetical pie in the sky offseason:

Drummond -20m
Lauri- RFA QO 9m
Derozan -20m

1. Oladipo- 20m
2. Zach -19.5m

It comes to my attention this is the year to spend because next season zach will get max.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,637

Post#55 » by DuckIII » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:07 pm

Ice Man wrote:

Due to the play this season of WCJ and Coby, it’s trending similar. But it’s not the same.

That team had stalled out at .500 basketball for two straight years and the only young trade asset it had was Niko. They also had Doug and Portis, but those guys had no trade value. They also had a FO who, rightly or wrongly, had gotten such a rotten reputation that attracting young free agents was not going to happen.

This team has Patrick Lee Williams, which is a different element in trade value and young upside. It also has White who still likely has some trade value due to his youth. WCJ also still has a year to generate value. I suppose in a package deal Lauri has value, but not as a stand alone asset due to his pending free agency. Plus unlike Wade or Rondo, this team has vets with trade value in Sato and Young. And finally, it almost certainly has a lottery pick in a loaded draft to either use or trade. And all it’s future picks which is currently a rarity in the NBA.

There is more in the cupboard here to build around Zach still. But I have to admit two of the important assets are depreciating pretty badly. The distinction between trading Jimmy - which I strongly advocated - and trading Zach - which I oppose - is much cloudier than it was.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Jiipee84
Pro Prospect
And1: 237

Post#56 » by Jiipee84 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:08 pm

bearadonisdna wrote:Lauri has 2 more years as a RFA.

Sato and thad are guaranteed 24 mil combined next season, i think you unload these guys right now.

If / when Lauri takes qualifying offer for season 2021-2022 then he's UFA summer 2022 ( if i'm not mistaken )
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,637

Post#57 » by DuckIII » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:11 pm

coldfish wrote: I'm now on the "soft tank" bandwagon even if it does piss off Zach. Why?
- Zach is already pissed

Boom. Converted.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
bearadonisdna
RealGM

Post#58 » by bearadonisdna » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:12 pm

Jiipee84 wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:Lauri has 2 more years as a RFA.

If / when Lauri takes qualifying offer for season 2021-2022 then he's UFA summer 2022 ( if i'm not mistaken )

correct, 1 site i saw had it wrong.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#59 » by Andi Obst » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:45 pm

bearadonisdna wrote:hypothetical pie in the sky offseason:

Drummond -20m
Lauri- RFA QO 9m
Derozan -20m

1. Oladipo- 20m
2. Zach -19.5m

It comes to my attention this is the year to spend because next season zach will get max.

There is absolutely no way Drummond gets 20 mil this offseason. Teams are just smarter than that now. Anything above the MLE is crazy for him (and I wouldn’t pay him that).
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by MalagaBulls » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:56 pm

Here is the 19-0 stretch by Utah in it´s entirety, it was brutal.

Read on Twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls