Image ImageImage Image

Do we get a fair shake with the refs?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

so far this year-how have the calls been?

1-balanced, more or less. fans always gripe about bad calls but it evens out
19%
2-we have gotten more calls our way than against
No votes
3-overall, we have gotten the short end of the stick, but not more than 53% against 47%
23%
4-all year we have been hosed, and it's costs us a bunch of games
58%

Total votes: 53

MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,064

Re: Do we get a fair shake with the refs? 

Post#21 » by MrSparkle » Fri Apr 2, 2021 1:47 pm

I’ve pretty much been in a “soft tank” mentality (take the wins if the team earns them, take the loss if it’s close or decided by x-factors)... so I’m not even emotionally invested in this year. Purely looking at player improvement and “what’s next” with that cap space.

But holy zebra! On the whole, this season has been worst, most consistent referee harassment I recall in my entire life of watching the Bulls. It’s beyond the point of caring; it just makes me laugh. Even admitting that the personnel isn’t great at drawing fouls or selling contact... the Sato “strip”, the Vuc flagrant, the many post-game corrections in what were 1-3 pt. decided games. It’s been a funny season.

I was convinced that Billy Donovan was keeping quiet, because he’s very interested in getting a top-5 pick. Then the trade happened, and I started wondering why he’s still silent. Then I see we are essentially back to long-shot hoping for a top-4 pick, while developing Patrick, and integrating Vuc.

If Billy still doesn’t make any fuss during the play-in, then I’ll really scratch my head. But I do get the sense that it hasn’t been worth raising his blood pressure with this squad. Just way too raw and disjointed, and lacking talent.. focused on development... but also not sure who’s really sticking around...
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,100

Post#22 » by cool007 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:28 pm

I agree with Coldfish.

Another thing I wanted to point out is that pretty much every single team has a couple of (if not more) floppers and/or their players/coaches get on the refs a lot while I almost never see Billy arguing or even get on the refs about any calls and doesn't protect his players. I have seen Zach get a tech and now Vuc also got a tech for not getting calls but Billy still sits on his ass.

I see similar players to Zach (Beal/Booker/Mitchell/etc) and they all get calls way way easier than Zach - which makes me puke whenever I watch. If we talk about Butler? He gets almost all of the touch fouls and doesn't have to do much as refs make it way easier for him.

I know a while ago our front office used to complain and send in the tapes but I think it's time this new front office did the same.
LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,449

Post#23 » by LateNight » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:36 am

Yeah - if you think the refs are fair to Zach, then you aren’t watching the games.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,355

Post#24 » by pipfan » Sat Apr 3, 2021 5:54 am

Tonight's game, another example
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#25 » by Leslie Forman » Sat Apr 3, 2021 6:57 am

Ehhhhh this just seems like Stacey King-influenced whining.

You get more calls by being a team that forces more decisions on foul calls to be made. This is largely a contact-afraid team on both ends. The leading scorers on the team are all guys that shy away from contact, rather than embracing it.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,545

Post#26 » by Ice Man » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:42 pm

Leslie Forman wrote:You get more calls by being a team that forces more decisions on foul calls to be made. This is largely a contact-afraid team on both ends. The leading scorers on the team are all guys that shy away from contact, rather than embracing it.

Lonzo Ball, FTs per 36 minutes, per season -

1 - 1.4
2 - 1.2
3 - 1.4
4 - 1.3

Now that's consistent. Over a season, players get the FTs they deserve. Teams, too. You want foul calls? Put a body into people while shooting.

That said, we have been on the wrong side of several bad calls late in tight games that have cost us, and I don't recall any time where we have received such favors. So while I think the season-long tally is fair enough, the refereeing truly has cost us 3 or 4 losses.
DJhitek
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,354

Post#27 » by DJhitek » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:29 pm

It’s not something that I’ve really paid attention to. I do think Zach gets the short end of the stick on a lot of drives to the basket but other than that I just don’t notice these types of things unless it’s in pressure situations.
nekorajo
Bench Warmer
And1: 575

Post#28 » by nekorajo » Sat Apr 3, 2021 11:58 pm

When it comes to drawing fouls, the Bulls are always at a disadvantage. Part of the problem is that our guards tend to avoid contact when they drive. Being passive won't get you whistles. I'm not a huge Butler fan, but I remember him, even as a rookie, excelling at drawing contact. Some guys are afraid to be touched, some guys thrive on contact. I definitely want to see Zach improve in that area.

Also, Gobert fouled Vuc across the head yesterday. They called foul, but no flagrant. Screw the refs.

Return to Chicago Bulls