Image ImageImage Image

PG: Tough Loss

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,064

Re: PG: Tough Loss 

Post#181 » by MrSparkle » Sat Apr 3, 2021 6:02 pm

the ultimates wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:
the ultimates wrote:This slide hurts even more because of how many games earlier in the season they let slip away. The loss at home to Portland on the Lillard three. The loss at home to GSW by someone not named Steph Curry. The road loss to OKC and a few others. With that being said they are still in play in range and only five games out of the sixth seed.

Personally I'm fine with that. Rather be drawing with a 15-20% chance for a top-4 pick than .490 7-seed with the caliber of play we're at.

I'd rather them try to make the playoffs which would entail playing better basketball than hope for the ping pong balls to bounce their way. You see a 15-20% chance of a top-four pick I see an 80-85% of not landing a top-four pick.

Oh I definitely see those 80-85% odds. But I'd rather underachieve than overachieve, in regards to the record. Especially now that we have a stable C in Vuc - it's unlikely we regress next year.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#182 » by FranchisePlayer » Sat Apr 3, 2021 6:15 pm

Bulldog23 wrote:3rd quarter the Bulls were within 1pt to take the lead Lavine and Vu instead of going to the basket take threes and long two to give away to ten point lead. This is where understanding how to win is important. Just maddening. The I see Coby being careless with the ball and Laurie wide open for easy baskets because Lavine and Coby are playing hero ball.

Yeah, definitely some low IQ BB not involving Markkanen for everyone to see. Very strange he gets targeted in every gd PG.

Case Lavine: because of his early season heroics he seems to be getting pass in every game even though his game has been trash lately. I know, his ankle is bothering him, he's exhausted for having to carry the Bulls on his shoulders for so long - save the lame excuses.

This is the type of player people want to build a team around? Take his phenomenal shooting away and the rest is pretty shallow or has been since the ASG. Defense, ball movement, high IQ decisions with the ball... Lately the definition of empty calories has really been there. It doesn't seem to motivate him to get players around him, his teammates, play better.

Ever since he managed to get himself to play in the ASG, his personal goal, he's been mailing it in.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#183 » by Am2626 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 6:52 pm

MrSparkle wrote:This team would have a better record with a better coach.

Actually, this team would have a better record if Zach, Coby and Lauri turned the ball over less.

We'd be much better if those three could defend as well as Sato, Temple and Thad. The thing is, they have the size, speed and athleticism of each of those guys, so it's very hard hearing the excuses (besides age). Zach has the "excuse" of at least being a very reliable 25 ppg scorer, but I will say that he is lapsed back into defensive errors and turnovers since the ASB.

If those 3 fixed the above correctable mistakes (in most NBA career trajectories), we'd be a serious playoff team. They currently look really bad in the half-court on both ends. Because they can't hang, Thad Young becomes your top-2 option when he should be 6th man. This post-deadline roster is actually on par with the 15/16 Bulls squad, where Rose was a broken player (turnovers and defense, inefficient FG%), Pau was a broken defender and 6th man playing 2nd option, and the rest of the guys were either low caliber or trying to learn the NBA.

If Vuc could defend, he'd be a perennial all-star on the max. He can't; that's part of the package. He earned $22m and 1 ASG based on his offense and rebounding; that's all. He is what he is. I think he's very high IQ and making the right plays.

Meanwhile, Sato, Pat, Valentine do what they do rather consistently - and the fact is, it's low caliber. We have high hopes for Pat, but he's currently a 10/5/1 guy focusing on system play. I can't say there's a particular area where he's a liability. He's well-rounded already; but he's not a good player right now. Average at best (fantastic in moments). Like Sato (minus the fantastic moments). But he is 20yo, athletic and huge, so you imagine he's much better than Sato in 2023.

Isn’t being a good defender a skill set that can be learned? I don’t see why LaVine and Vuc can be plus defenders if they can work on that aspect of their games.
Am2626
Analyst

Post#184 » by Am2626 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 6:56 pm

MrSparkle wrote:
the ultimates wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:
Personally I'm fine with that. Rather be drawing with a 15-20% chance for a top-4 pick than .490 7-seed with the caliber of play we're at.

I'd rather them try to make the playoffs which would entail playing better basketball than hope for the ping pong balls to bounce their way. You see a 15-20% chance of a top-four pick I see an 80-85% of not landing a top-four pick.

Oh I definitely see those 80-85% odds. But I'd rather underachieve than overachieve, in regards to the record. Especially now that we have a stable C in Vuc - it's unlikely we regress next year.

Every team in the Bulls draft range has similar odds of moving up to the top 4. The Bulls have as good chance as any team in that range. Just having a chance at a top 4 pick is better then making the playoffs this year.
the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Post#185 » by the ultimates » Sat Apr 3, 2021 7:37 pm

Am2626 wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:
the ultimates wrote:

Every team in the Bulls draft range has similar odds of moving up to the top 4. The Bulls have as good chance as any team in that range. Just having a chance at a top 4 pick is better then making the playoffs this year.

Do you think Knick, Heat, Hawks, and Celtics want them to not make the playoffs or hope for ping pong balls? A top-four pick guarantees nothing. Playing the draft game doesn't entice free agents it doesn't have good players force a trade to you.
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
Am2626
Analyst

Post#186 » by Am2626 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 8:18 pm

the ultimates wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:

Do you think Knick, Heat, Hawks, and Celtics want them to not make the playoffs or hope for ping pong balls? A top-four pick guarantees nothing. Playing the draft game doesn't entice free agents it doesn't have good players force a trade to you.

I’m only looking at the Bulls situation not any other team. Based on where the Bulls are at with their current record and the fact that this draft is loaded at the top, in my opinion it is better for the Bulls to have a chance at landing a top 4 pick then it is with playing in a meaningless playoff series this year. Any of Cade, Suggs, Mobley, Kuminga, or Green will instantly make the Bulls core significantly better. People have pointed out that this team lacks a Franchise Level Player. These 5 guys all have the potential to be Franchise Changing Players.

I really don’t see how the Bulls making the playoffs this year will push a star player to want to sign with the Bulls over the summer. This 3rd star won’t look at a first round sweep and compel them to play for the Bulls. However, a top 4 pick with a free agent signing as well as the trades and moves made at the trade deadline will give the Bulls a great chance of being a serious playoff contender next year. Maybe the next summer that Star free agent finds his way to the Bulls.

When the Bulls got lucky and drafted Rose did he not push that core to contender status?
the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Post#187 » by the ultimates » Sat Apr 3, 2021 8:35 pm

Am2626 wrote:
the ultimates wrote:
Am2626 wrote:

I’m only looking at the Bulls situation not any other team. Based on where the Bulls are at with their current record and the fact that this draft is loaded at the top, in my opinion it is better for the Bulls to have a chance at landing a top 4 pick then it is with playing in a meaningless playoff series this year. Any of Cade, Suggs, Mobley, Kuminga, or Green will instantly make the Bulls core significantly better. People have pointed out that this team lacks a Franchise Level Player. These 5 guys all have the potential to be Franchise Changing Players.

I really don’t see how the Bulls making the playoffs this year will push a star player to want to sign with the Bulls over the summer. This 3rd star won’t look at a first round sweep and compel them to play for the Bulls. However, a top 4 pick with a free agent signing as well as the trades and moves made at the trade deadline will give the Bulls a great chance of being a serious playoff contender next year. Maybe the next summer that Star free agent finds his way to the Bulls.

When the Bulls got lucky and drafted Rose did he not push that core to contender status?

When was the last time star signed with or forced a trade to a bad team? The Bulls have two all-stars losing and waiting for the odds to fall your way for a player that may not be better than your top two guys on the roster is fools gold.
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,568

Post#188 » by Repeat 3-peat » Sat Apr 3, 2021 8:49 pm

Harden and Durant are out vs Chicago on Sunday.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,635

Post#189 » by DaGawd » Sat Apr 3, 2021 8:51 pm

the ultimates wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:

I’m a Knick fan coming in peace. I read most active boards that’s the reason I’m here.. just to offer some insight.. believe it or not there are actually a faction of Knick fans who pop up heavy whenever the teams play dips and bit like it has recently and continue to whine and complain that we aren’t playing for lottery positioning.. that competing this season is a mistake and what not.. it’s not just Bulls fans.. fans look at the path to the top as either one or the other.. there can’t be a middle ground lol
BaF
Washington Wizards
Am2626
Analyst

Post#190 » by Am2626 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 8:51 pm

the ultimates wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
the ultimates wrote:

When was the last time star signed with or forced a trade to a bad team? The Bulls have two all-stars losing and waiting for the odds to fall your way for a player that may not be better than your top two guys on the roster is fools gold.

The reality is there isn’t another star that the Bulls can realistically get this summer. It’s the summer of 2022 when the Bulls have a realistic chance of getting this guy. If you are hoping for this guy to join the Bulls this summer you are going to be disappointed.

This top 4 pick may or may not end up being better than Vuc or LaVine. It really doesn’t matter. The potential for greatness is there and that should be enough to want a chance at that.

I am confident that the Bulls will be a 50 win team and firmly in the playoff race next year. This is even without landing a top 4 pick. They will sign a Vet point guard this summer and LaVine and Vuc will have a training camp together which will make a big difference. If they get lucky and can add a top 4 pick on top of that that would be unbelievable. If it doesn’t happen the future still looks good. As I said before wins and losses this year makes absolutely no difference. I only care about having a competitive team in place next year.
Am2626
Analyst

Post#191 » by Am2626 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 8:58 pm

Repeat 3-peat wrote:Harden and Durant are out vs Chicago on Sunday.

This report suggests that Harden may play tomorrow.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/netswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/03/james-harden-may-return-sunday-against-the-chicago-bulls/amp/
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,568

Post#192 » by Repeat 3-peat » Sat Apr 3, 2021 9:00 pm

Am2626 wrote:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/netswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/03/james-harden-may-return-sunday-against-the-chicago-bulls/amp/

Read on Twitter
Am2626
Analyst

Post#193 » by Am2626 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 9:12 pm

Repeat 3-peat wrote:
Am2626 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Yes saw another report. Harden is out tomorrow.
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#194 » by erlim » Sun Apr 4, 2021 10:09 am

Am2626 wrote:
Repeat 3-peat wrote:

Read on Twitter

Yes saw another report. Harden is out tomorrow.

Still wouldn’t get my hopes up that we steal the game.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,310

Post#195 » by Stratmaster » Sun Apr 4, 2021 10:36 am

MrSparkle wrote:This team would have a better record with a better coach.

Actually, this team would have a better record if Zach, Coby and Lauri turned the ball over less.

We'd be much better if those three could defend as well as Sato, Temple and Thad. The thing is, they have the size, speed and athleticism of each of those guys, so it's very hard hearing the excuses (besides age). Zach has the "excuse" of at least being a very reliable 25 ppg scorer, but I will say that he is lapsed back into defensive errors and turnovers since the ASB.

If those 3 fixed the above correctable mistakes (in most NBA career trajectories), we'd be a serious playoff team. They currently look really bad in the half-court on both ends. Because they can't hang, Thad Young becomes your top-2 option when he should be 6th man. This post-deadline roster is actually on par with the 15/16 Bulls squad, where Rose was a broken player (turnovers and defense, inefficient FG%), Pau was a broken defender and 6th man playing 2nd option, and the rest of the guys were either low caliber or trying to learn the NBA.

If Vuc could defend, he'd be a perennial all-star on the max. He can't; that's part of the package. He earned $22m and 1 ASG based on his offense and rebounding; that's all. He is what he is. I think he's very high IQ and making the right plays.

Meanwhile, Sato, Pat, Valentine do what they do rather consistently - and the fact is, it's low caliber. We have high hopes for Pat, but he's currently a 10/5/1 guy focusing on system play. I can't say there's a particular area where he's a liability. He's well-rounded already; but he's not a good player right now. Average at best (fantastic in moments). Like Sato (minus the fantastic moments). But he is 20yo, athletic and huge, so you imagine he's much better than Sato in 2023.
All of the above, including your green font, can be true at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
Fastbrk4brkfast
General Manager
And1: 2,742

Post#196 » by Fastbrk4brkfast » Sun Apr 4, 2021 11:38 am

DaGawd wrote:
the ultimates wrote:
Am2626 wrote:

I’m a Knick fan coming in peace. I read most active boards that’s the reason I’m here.. just to offer some insight.. believe it or not there are actually a faction of Knick fans who pop up heavy whenever the teams play dips and bit like it has recently and continue to whine and complain that we aren’t playing for lottery positioning.. that competing this season is a mistake and what not.. it’s not just Bulls fans.. fans look at the path to the top as either one or the other.. there can’t be a middle ground lol

Fans overvalue the draft, especially fans who've never experienced winning. That, and human society is devolving into drooling buffoons throwing poop across electronic networks.

Speaking of which, what is that MONSTROSITY of a lineup in your sig? :lol:
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,635

Post#197 » by DaGawd » Sun Apr 4, 2021 11:39 am

Fastbrk4brkfast wrote:
DaGawd wrote:
the ultimates wrote:Do you think Knick, Heat, Hawks, and Celtics want them to not make the playoffs or hope for ping pong balls? A top-four pick guarantees nothing. Playing the draft game doesn't entice free agents it doesn't have good players force a trade to you.

Fans overvalue the draft, especially fans who've never experienced winning. That, and human society is devolving into drooling buffoons throwing poop across electronic networks.

Speaking of which, what is that MONSTROSITY of a lineup in your sig? :lol:

:lol: I took over for a vacant user recently in our BAF league.. roster still under heavy construction
BaF
Washington Wizards

Return to Chicago Bulls